2015 Player Review - # 8 Heritier Lumumba

Demonland

The former Collingwood premiership player and 2010 All Australian probably didn't light up the MCG as promised early in the season and although a little disappointing, still added some great rebound out of defence and provided some excellent off field leadership.

Games MFC 2015 19

Career Total 218

Goals MFC 2015 2

Career Total 230

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 112 votes

epic understatement there al.

i thought his rebounding abilities as a half-back were extremely ordinary as he's a terrible kick, he doesn't get the ball near often enough to play as a wingman, and he doesn't drift forward enough to have any impact on the scoreboard. i didn't see much leadership out there either; he regularly seemed to drop his bundle.

scarily, varcoe looks the best of the three involved in this swap of players btw us, geelong and collingwood.

i am really hoping we only signed him on a two-year deal, but i've heard it might actually be four? seems crazy to me.

he looked old and very, very tired by the time the season finished - i doubt he will be in my preferred ostensible 'best 22' come middle of 2016, let alone end of 2017 / start of 2018.

• Like 3

an odd year from Harry. Hoping for better ( more settled ) next season

Terrible from start to finish. Looked scared of getting hurt, scared of making a mistake, scared of doing too much. Most of his (all-too-rare) possessions resulted in a teammate being put in a horrible position, and I don't recall him ever negating an opponent either. Should have been dropped well before the mid year break and given an opportunity to recharge at Casey for a couple of weeks.

He is well outside my best 22 at present, and I hate to think that we have to tolerate another three years of his pea-heartedness, particularly on the salary that has been reported. I would give serious consideration to paying out his contract if we see a repeat of this year in 2016.

Couldn't believe how many times he "took off" out of a defensive stoppage only to be caught holding the ball. At 28 he is on the downward slope and his line breaking days are behind. Not a good sign of his footy smarts that he didn't recognise his limitations and adjust. Would not expect to see a redux of "Lumumba the midfielder" next season. Don't recall that ever working.

- Needs to drop 5-10kg. Looked slow and heavy.

- Needs to lay off the bongs.

- Season highlight was his goal against GCFC.

- On a more positive note, at least he didn't make any stupid speeches.

• Like 4

I thought his start to the year was decent, he did as expected with lots of run and carry and some good defensive efforts. But second half of the year was terrible and with him combining with Garland and TMac, well none of them are smart or skillful footballers. There was a game (can't remember which one) where it was them three combining with Grimes. It was just a recipe for disaster.

Disappointing year.

Not impressed and likewise doubt if he's really in the best 22, but I'm reserving judgement until MFC learns to run and spread (like Freo do).. I think one of the biggest issues (after leadership) is lack of system/run/anything coming out of defense. Likewise, can't see how H's match day leadership qualities keep him in the leadership group.

Edited by nrc73
  • Like 1

Pre season looked like it was going to be a great success. Not sure what happened.

Not great defensively and offensively has been disappointing. A few times has been streaming through the corridor and I thought 'I can see why we got him'. I suspect what is happening is true of a few players and I am going to cut him a bit of slack.....

They start to play their natural game but get burnt a few times when players upfield aren't running where they should and providing leads/options etc. The ball is turned over and sails back over their head. They worry about their man getting the pill and go defensive rather than being an offensive player. H is not naturally a defensive player IMO

He then starts second guessing and that split second of indecision makes him look like he is running up and down on the spot.. He gets the ball, goes to take off and then backtracks, runs around in a circle and looks less than confident/doesn't know what he is doing etc.

I think when the team starts playing better he will look a lot better.

• Like 4

Seemed to start off well and then faded badly. Has he really kicked 230 goals in his career? Something has gone missing here...

Just the 30 odd WWS. Must be a typo in the review.

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 1

Must admit I wasnt expecting Collingwood to be the biggest beneficiary of the Clark/Varcoe/Lumumba merry-go-round.

Heritier was top 4(?) in the Pies B & F last year and finished 16th for us this year. Started the year in ok form and went slowly backwards from there. Perhaps has an injury that kept from achieving his best form? Either way I'm hopeful of seeing him play some better footy with us next year

• Like 1

I don't think his style of game fits too well. Loves to break free of his opponent and use the corridor most times. He is very predictable.

If would be good if he could adjust his game and use the ball like some of our other backs (salem, jetta, dunn) where they move the ball sideways or handball back to a man with vision.

I actually think its OK for him to use his strength to break free of his man but should look to give the ball of straight away in that scenario instead of trying to charge forward.

I think probably the biggest problem with Harry...is the rest of the team

What I mean by this is we havent got to the point yet where we really play and run hard forward with BELIEF.....not yet. When we do , and it might start to happen next season as we've seen glimpses , then a player like Lumumba will come into his own.When he strikes out there WILL be options. Often he does and there are none..and then he gets dacked !!

We havent quite caught up with harry..not just yet

• Like 5

Lumumba was an alarmingly poor pickup based on this year's performances; and unlike his fellow Premiership winning former Magpie Dawes, I don't think his training and game day leadership/structural value are good enough to warrant a place in our side as we improve.

Hopefully 2016 bodes better for him.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

Must admit I wasnt expecting Collingwood to be the biggest beneficiary of the Clark/Varcoe/Lumumba merry-go-round.

Heritier was top 4(?) in the Pies B & F last year and finished 16th for us this year. Started the year in ok form and went slowly backwards from there. Perhaps has an injury that kept from achieving his best form? Either way I'm hopeful of seeing him play some better footy with us next year

That's because we are harder markers than them....our expectations are much higher.

I think probably the biggest problem with Harry...is the rest of the team

What I mean by this is we havent got to the point yet where we really play and run hard forward with BELIEF.....not yet. When we do , and it might start to happen next season as we've seen glimpses , then a player like Lumumba will come into his own.When he strikes out there WILL be options. Often he does and there are none..and then he gets dacked !!

We havent quite caught up with harry..not just yet

Ditto.

He had a couple of great performances in the NAB Cup, a couple of decent performances early on in the season, and was terrible in the second half of the year.

I still think he can be an ok player for us for the next couple of years, but must be better than this year. Hopefully the surgeries help.