Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 6

Demonland

Holy moly.

Four changes is a hell of a lot from Roos.

Think it's a bit rough to bring Jordie up, give him a stupid role as a sub, then drop him. But perhaps they've realised the error and are just cutting losses.

Jamar will be a rest. They also need to find out pretty soon whether Spencer is ever going to make it, so that's not a big deal for mine.

Dropping Grimes is an interesting one because there's no real like for like coming in. Will be interesting to see how they line up - perhaps sticking Toumpas back but not playing that lock down role? That wouldn't suit him, I wouldn't have thought.

• Like 2

I've watched a few quarters of Casey through the internet feeds this year and I must say Spencer has looked very good. I have always thought that VFL is his level though.

Michie - 0 tackles and uncompetitive against Freo. Maybe a bit stiff, but can see the logic.

Toumpas back after a quiet game in the VFL is a surprise. Stretch looks really classy from what I've seen. He will almost certainly be the sub.

If you had said that we would make 4 unforced changes this week and Watts wouldn't be one of them. I'd have laughed at you.

I'm sure the exterior decorators on the Titanic would have done the same if you'd told them to chuck out the furniture.

I think your right on the money Dazzledavey !! All 3 are no longer required IMO , sad for Grimes as the captaincy really curtailed his advancement as a footballer , Jamar has been a serviceablework horse and deserves some respect and the less said about the third bloke the better.

Yes Grimes was made captain to early but this does not account in any way for his poor disposal. Have we considered we overrated him to start with? He had a crack, didn't work out, time to go.
  • Like 1

Wow. It's rare that Roosy wields the axe to this extent ....... he clearly won't tolerate what he saw against Freo, and you'd reckon a few others might be on thin ice. Dawes was an automatic inclusion and now is the time for Spence and Toump to prove their credentials for the future. Billy the Kid is being given a taste. The message is there that everyone needs to play out of their skin to retain their spot from week to week. The climate is changing and I love it.

• Like 6

Upon reflection, bringing in McKenzie and playing him as a sub is probably the worst/most baffling thing Roos has done since he got here.

kinda like the pre season game against Essendon, Mckenzie just sat on the pine as second sub and never came on

And if the captaincy was such a burden why didn't he give it up when Trenners did? The answer isn't he's not a quitter. It seems as if it was taken from him because you can't have your co captain playing in the two's.

Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 1

Upon reflection, bringing in McKenzie and playing him as a sub is probably the worst/most baffling thing Roos has done since he got here.

Even legends make mistakes

• Like 1

It says more about our ruck department than anything...

You're right, I cringe watching Spencer around the ground. But the one thing he'll provide that Jamar just doesn't is an ability to chase, tackle and run.

Jamar atm is like watching a shot giraffe.

Great work Barry
  • Like 1

Surprised by Grimes omission and thought Michie deserved more opportunity. Jamar upon reflection toils and Spencer is aggressive and by all reports is in serious VFL form. Jordie should not have been in the side and certainly not as sub, that to me is just righting a wrong.

Can't wait to see Billy and hopefully Toump given a good run at making his mark.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 1

Roos has said in numerous occasions he struggles with the sub, I think this shows he has no idea with it. He needs to had the responsibility off to someone else to set it up and when to use it like Macca or even Goodwin?

• Like 1

I agree. A hugely odd decision. We could all see why he might be brought in, but how they used him on the day was just bizarre.

It was almost like something happened along the way that changed their plans, but who knows what.

I am very into these changes. Jamar clearly a rest, Grimes unlucky, Toump/Spence get a chance and we get to see SOS debut (surprised Riley didn't get a gig according to reports).

Viney / Jetta in next week.

• Like 1

I hope they give Toump 3 solid games to show his wares and gain some confidence

Don't agree with Jamar Out, Not a Spencer fan.

Certainly don't think Toumpas had the form at Casey and IMV would want to perform from game 1 .

If it's good enough for Jordy to be outed after 1 game well good enough for anyone else! ( not that for 1 second do I think Mc Kenzie deserved another game after last week though!) What were they thinking playing him as the sub?

Anyway Grimes is done, Jordy too for that matter, Michie needs to do more, Good luck to Stretch happy for him to be given an opportunity.

Finally what does Aiden Riley need to do to get a gig!??

I agree. A hugely odd decision. We could all see why he might be brought in, but how they used him on the day was just bizarre.

It was almost like something happened along the way that changed their plans, but who knows what.

It could be that Dawes was a late withdrawal which changed the team balance and players had to be switched around.

Delighted Toumpas is in starting 22. Hope he has a terrific game. And really happy for Stretch.

• Like 1

Toump and Stretch in. So Denham was on the money eh.

Pencil deserves a crack. He was serviceable prior to his injury last season.

Been eagerly awaiting to get a glimpse of Billy the kid. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

No the most baffling part was not having him in a shut down role on Fyfe or Hill from the get go to try and limit their early damage.

You bring in McKenzie for only one role and that's shut down which is about all he is capable of. No point bringing him in as sub to come on in the second half AFTER the horses (Fyfe/Hill) have bolted. IF playing him at all then it had to be "starting" 22 not off the bench and especially not as sub. Sub him off if it's a complete fail but yeh.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Don't agree jamar is a rest, surely the website would mention that?

Pity toump and stretch come in without dominating at vfl but I guess we are struggling at the moment.

Sydney have a very strong team. This could get messy

• Like 1

I am very into these changes. Jamar clearly a rest, Grimes unlucky, Toump/Spence get a chance and we get to see SOS debut (surprised Riley didn't get a gig according to reports).

Viney / Jetta in next week.

And if they both come in you would think the toump would be the one out (so is a little like Mckenzie in last week) & likely stretch unless he kills it as the sub.

I'm excited either way, hope we play hard 1v1 footy :) go dees!

Ps grimes is stiff, but a lot said he was only on Ballantine for <1 quarter (so if he was on a mayne etc then he didn't do as well.

It could be that Dawes was a late withdrawal which changed the team balance and players had to be switched around.

Delighted Toumpas is in starting 22. Hope he has a terrific game. And really happy for Stretch.

Maybe. I would have thought that that wouldn't really have affected who was sub.