POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 4

Demonland

I felt watching the game live that Jones made a lot of mistakes and he did, but having watched the replay twice now, gee he was good.

Col Garland is also very underrated. Thought his performance was very solid. Didn't feel we played that well to be honest. Our tackling in the second half was excellent, but our decision making at times was deplorable. That's the positive for me. Still lots of room for improvement. Was very happy with the win.

Garland played a beauty actually. Have been waiting to see how he would go this year. Didn't like at all how he performed last year. Very pleased if he continues like that all year.

• Like 4

That wasn't a great play though. Bombing it long to JKH is very low percentage when he had vandenBerg streaming through the midfield inside him for a handball that could've then seen a pass or running shot from 50.

The best bits of Tyson's game where the quality clearances he won in the 3rd quarter when pushed up to a stoppage as a high half forward. The way we broke from the clearances with sold enough (given the wet) ball use and getting it to advantage as the ball went forward was much different to the way the Tigers were under constant pressure and going forward without any fluency (Shane Edwards aside)

In general I'd agree with you. Bombing it long is the lowest-percentage play imaginable. The one exception is on a fast break to get it in quickly to catch the defence out of position. Which is exactly what he did, by kicking it hard & reasonably low.

Edited by Akum
  • Like 1

Just watching the replay now. Some of the umpiring in the 3rd quarter is the worst I have seen.

Bernie gets thrown to the ground off the ball, then picked up and thrown back down again - no free.

Riedwoldt runs his big stupid head into H and gets a free.

Dunn pushed over about 3 seconds after he marked it and no 50.

Truly incredible, this should be looked at.

• Like 7

Yep. There's still a lot of room for improvement in our midfield. Jones, Vince and Tyson could all play a lot better. Newton is a new favourite of mine. He's so well balanced. He's a quicker Tyson and he hits the scoreboard. We're building a goalkicking midfield, which is what we obviously must do.

One of those improvements should come with the return of Viney Adam. His impact on the contest shouldn't be underestimated. He hits and tackles damn hard. Disposal is a little wayward but then i recall the Jones boy being a little like that in his early years.

• Like 1

Those Richmond supporters are all class... first they racially abuse Lin Jong the other week during the game against the Bulldogs, and now, at the official match function this weekend, abuse one of their own in Houli, calling him a terrorist... at least that's how it appears unless there was one of our supporters sitting outside the function area... in either case, I hope they are never allowed into a game again.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-are-investigating-claims-defender-bachar-houli-was-racially-vilified-by-being-labelled-a-terrorist-in-friday-nights-loss-to-melbourne/story-fni5f9jb-1227322265800

Those Richmond supporters are all class... first they racially abuse Lin Jong the other week during the game against the Bulldogs, and now, at the official match function this weekend, abuse one of their own in Houli, calling him a terrorist... at least that's how it appears unless there was one of our supporters sitting outside the function area... in either case, I hope they are never allowed into a game again.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-are-investigating-claims-defender-bachar-houli-was-racially-vilified-by-being-labelled-a-terrorist-in-friday-nights-loss-to-melbourne/story-fni5f9jb-1227322265800

RICHMOND is investigating an allegation defender Bachar Houli was racially vilified by a prominent media figure at the MCG on Friday night.

So I'm just gonna assume the "prominent media figure" was Robbo, yeah? Who else in the media would be stupid and/or drunk and/or bogan enough to say something like that?

• Like 2

Catching up to Collingwood in the high class stakes.

• Like 1

So I'm just gonna assume the "prominent media figure" was Robbo, yeah? Who else in the media would be stupid and/or drunk and/or bogan enough to say something like that?

I will take odds:

Mark Robinson 3/1

Brian Taylor 5/1

Nathan Brown 20/1

Tim Lane 500/1

Gerard Whateley 500/1

I will take odds:

Mark Robinson 3/1

Brian Taylor 5/1

Nathan Brown 20/1

Tim Lane 500/1

Gerard Whateley 500/1

Pretty good odds for BT there. I'll bet 50 credits

• Like 1

My first thought as well but given it was the Murdoch rag that announced it I doubt it was Robbo. More likely Caro. (Just kidding).

Vandenburg, Brayshaw and Jonesy all tackled legally around the torso and threw guys out of the way or over the boundry line.

I hope that continues against the Shockers....

It is what i would be highlighting as a coach

Bad call. We were 24 to 12 against at one point. And by my count they got 3 goals. Infuriating. And what about when Vlastuin took out JKHs legs in the goals square and got no free? Its not just the bad ones they pay. Its the bad ones they miss.

They got 8 FKs per quarter. Many were BS. Particularly the ruck ones.

Watching the replay I was amazed at the number of calls ,"High Richmond," High Richmond" etc etc Didn't hear too many "High, Melbourne".