Mitch Clark's 6 goals - how ... 'depressing'.

bush demon

Again you need to be on Twitter/Instagram etc to see more

What about an interview with the press or a full statement rather than a few photos and tweets. Please post the tweets. I bet they said bugger-all.

What puzzles and annoys me most here is how quickly medical opinion can change when the condition of DEPRESSION is mentioned and also how slow Melbourne was in seeing this coming.

Don't think we did too much wrong. I said at the time he retired that we hadn't delisted him, so that if he ended up going elsewhere we could trade him. He did, we did, welcome HL.

Alternatives are, he leaves for nothing, or stays retired.

We did the best we could out of the MC manipulation.

• Like 5

Curry & Beer, on 13 Mar 2015 - 5:22 PM, said:

you're in the same boat as my old man

that would be the S.S. Loser

the fact you sat through the last 50 years of failure and still hang in is commendable

the fact you don't seem to really give a stuff is not

Mate....I can whinge and cry about it and get really MAD........What the bloody hell good will it do.......The only thing I can do is put in my money to help the club

Can you tell me what good all your anger is doing? Is it changing anything? Except raise your blood pressure......And I do give a stuff and always have

He went.....Won't be the first.....Won't be the last...

Cheer up

Fork 'em, on 13 Mar 2015 - 5:25 PM, said:

Till you were 13 you were present for 6 flags.

I was present for 4 spoons.

I'm sure life in the schoolyard was very different for you and I.

Yes I'm bitter and twisted about it.

OK.....You win...........You deserve more than me....Well done.

I think every MFC supporter who has been on board for the last 50 years is not quite the full dollar dc.

In 1999 it can down to two Clubs I was prepared to support, one was the MFC the other was Essendon. Do you think I made the wrong choice OD?

In 1999 it can down to two Clubs I was prepared to support, one was the MFC the other was Essendon. Do you think I made the wrong choice OD?

I grew up following Essendon because mum did. At the end of 99 I was nearly 12 and dad said I didn't have to follow essendon just cos mum did, I could choose anyone I wanted (he is Collingwood I think he was trying to convert me) so I choose the mighty red and blue because I liked the colours. The rest is history.

I thought Clark should've stayed with us. He had a good support structure.

I just can't see it working at Geelong, and I'm not sure how he gets out of this one.
So It will be interesting to watch. The guy clearly has issues. I actually feel sorry for him.

He will do anything for attention, and I don't say that as a dig at him, It's obviously a deeper issue for him.

There will always be controversy surrounding Mitch Clark, there was when he left Brisbane, there was when he came to MFC.

There was controversy while he was at MFC, controversy after he left and now he arrives at the Cattery.

I say good to luck to the Cats. I hope they have a good support structure for Clark - because they'll need one.

It is Ned Flanders FCS.... A mate of mine committed suicide because of deep depression last month..Hung himself in a bedroom cupboard so he wouldn't leave a mess.

That is the Black Dog depression...The dark one.

You do not come good from that darkness in 6 months....You manage it if you are lucky.

There is no way Clark was in that bad place...within days of retiring he was taking photos of beautiful girls and posting them all over social media.

He may have been feeling down, sure...BUT he also could have stuck around and helped his mates...The mates who invited him to their weddings etc

Clark wants quick success and or big $$$ and so far he has succeeded...Meanwhile we are still in 17th place 50 years on.....

I don't remember all the details but Clark was headed home to Fremantle before we diverted him to MFC on a long term big$ contract in 2012. He plays 12 great games then is injured and plays 3 more over 2 years battling foot injuries and later soft tissue problems. He trains endlessly running lap after laps but can't get on the park. Now did his depression and withdrawal from the club coincide with new contractual talks between his management and the new MFC regime who were reassessing his worth and wanted to negotiate a much reduced contract agreement? Mitch only came here for the money, if it was no longer on offer, why wouldn't he look elsewhere? So off he goes to the. cats but at what $ I don't know and unbelievably is suddenly fit to play. It will be interesting to see if he can stay on the park. If he does stay fit he will be very good for the Cats. It may be just NAB but A fit Mitch has everything you need to be a star, 200 cm tall, agile, great hands, great pack mark and can kick straight. Just about has it all but history says his body will let him down.

• Like 3

6 goals in the NAB Challenge...no one should care (Melbourne, Geelong or other).

But if Geelong wins the Grand Final this year and Clark dominates for them, that's going to be difficult for me to watch. I'd love to pretend like it won't be and that it's 'just football', but it's going to hurt if it happens. So I hope it doesn't.

As mentioned in a previous post.... As far as I'm concerned he can play with whoever he wants.. A common theme in recovery is to change your environment, that's what was recommended by his doctor and that's what he's done.

Everyone is entitled to their view, but I feel that a little balance is required. It's only a game and someone's long term health is far more important.

I don't believe it's as simple as the phrase 'change of scenery' sounds.

What exactly was it about the MFC that made it a good idea to leave?

I understand that in some circumstances it might be a good idea, but surely in other circumstances your 'environment' is something you should go back to, or hold on to?

• Like 1

I would just like to ask, take away the depression and Clark had continued to play for us, but we still didn't improve, so he decided not to re sign a new contract and moved to Geelong and kicked six goals in a NAB game, that would be ok?

I would have no problem with that scenario. You know why?

If Clark had gotten back on the park and played out his contract with us he would have had massive currency as a mobile marking forward who kicked a bag of goals for us. Rather than the cats offloading a fringe player to Collingwood they would have been forced to give us their first pick to get him. This is the pick that they used to snap up young Nakia Cockatoo. If THAT trade had happened, either we bundled the pick with another to get Dangerfield from Adelaide or we grabbed Cockatoo or another top young talent with the pick.

of course, if he'd stuck with his contract then he'd still be with us as the contract would not have expired yet anyway, so even better would be him kicking 60+ goals for us this year then being traded next year to a contender and us getting a spare first round pick in the next draft.

Also, regarding the ease of obtaining a depression diagnosis. I have a doctor who would LOVE to be able to call me depressed despite the fact that I have no symptoms whatsoever. Every time I've been in there in the last decade or so she's started in with the depression questions. I think it's some sort of blanket diagnosis that will spare her the trouble of actually doing her job.

Some of the posts in this topic are really really strange, and say more about the posters, and are hypocritical

Football is a business now, and loyalty is a rare thing

If a player, who the majority of posters on here think sucks, is delisted, there are mass cheers, but this means he has been sacked, not many of us enjoy that experience

If a player decides to move on, for whatever reasons, this is a work decision that most posters on here do as well, moving on for more success, more money and they also do it for other reasons

Me, I think he suffers from depression, and was advised the best deal was to retire, at that moment, he then (partially) recovered and was advised again that if he wanted to return to football a change of environment would be better. These are his decisions, same as when we all look at changing jobs for whatever reasons, loyalty in the work environment now, I'd like to see that

You realise football is entertainment, right? We pay to be entertained by our teams, the more successful they are, the more entertained we are.

Most people on here aren't being paid to be watched by spectators, so comparing us getting sacked to footballers getting sacked is pointless. Our interest is in the Melbourne Football Club winning, not if Joe Blogs is still stacking shelves at Big W.

Sure you can call football a business, but if you were paying someone top dollar to work for you for 4 years, he took the money but rarely showed up, then suddenly pulled the pin and went and worked for your competitor, you wouldn't be too happy.

As for my thoughts on Mitch, I'm not bitter at all. In fact I want him to play every game this season and tear every team (except us) apart. The universal hatred from opposition supporters isn't quite there yet, if he starts smashing teams it'll come pretty quickly and I'll be happiest when everyone hates him.

...yeah I'm pretty bitter.

• Like 2

I hope he smashes Hawkins in one of his stupid kamakazi marking contests then lands on his head putting them both out.

No one, and I mean no one, with genuine depression has as miraculous a recovery as the lying greedy excuse for a human being that MC is.

The way you're being so gentle with him, you obviously have a soft spot for him.

And it has been a noteworthy turnaround too, hasn't it.

Perhaps he can bottle the cure and patent it - no need to sell his cameras then, hey?

I grew up following Essendon because mum did. At the end of 99 I was nearly 12 and dad said I didn't have to follow essendon just cos mum did, I could choose anyone I wanted (he is Collingwood I think he was trying to convert me) so I choose the mighty red and blue because I liked the colours. The rest is history.

Good choice Josh. At least you can look at yourself in the mirror every day...

Also, regarding the ease of obtaining a depression diagnosis. I have a doctor who would LOVE to be able to call me depressed despite the fact that I have no symptoms whatsoever. Every time I've been in there in the last decade or so she's started in with the depression questions. I think it's some sort of blanket diagnosis that will spare her the trouble of actually doing her job.

Did you tell her you barrack for Melbourne?