• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL JEREMY HOWE

What

Ignore that stats and watch his impact on games. As an indicator 22 players are ahead of him the Demonland Player of the Year votes. Then ask how much you would be willing to pay for him?

He is inconsistent in his offensive and defensive intent and lacks football smarts and clean disposal. He always has been and does not appear to be better for the last 18 months development. He will not be the reason we play finals in the future but he is icing. I would not pay overs for a third tall highlight reel and would take a top 20 pick and run if available.

So you would throw away a known reasonable entity (I think he is more than reasonable, but that is where you seem to put him), for a top 20 pick so we can get an unknown kid in the top 20 of what is reputed to be a very shallow draft? Glad you aren't in charge

Hes gone. Big offer from GWS , all orchestrated by the AFL who want another drawcard at the Giants.

We will get their first rounder in return.

Roos and co happy with the deal. Be very happy that Mumfrod is out for the season. We just went from something pick pick 12 for Howe to pick 8.

I'm sure this is coming from another one of your spot on sources HH?

• Like 3

Stats against StKilda

17 possessions 9 kicks 7 handballs (7 Contested)

5 marks....6 tackles

1 goal 2 behinds

6 score involvements

Not bad for a high half forward.....Do you want me to compare with Garlett???(no bad press for him)

I watched him jog around in front of me most of the day.

Howe to Richmond

Richmond's first round pick to Carlton

Yarran to Melbourne

Done! I hope anyway.

Paradoxically, we can do better.

So you would throw away a known reasonable entity (I think he is more than reasonable, but that is where you seem to put him), for a top 20 pick so we can get an unknown kid in the top 20 of what is reputed to be a very shallow draft? Glad you aren't in charge

If we got a pick we'd be looking to trade it.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Then it all comes down to what we get for the pick. We either stay with a third tall option who has versatility as a swing man, which we have in Howe, and wont improve unless we throw something else in with the pick, or we lose that and go for a different type of player.

I would stay with Howe, it isn't like we have many of his type for depth. Watts, and Garlo would be the other two, and Garlo only at a stretch.

• Like 1

Howe has been a massive disappointment this year. In his prime we needed him to step and he's gone missing. One or two decent games and some absolute shockers. No doubt he would have been dropped had we any depth. I had thought he would play through the middle and on the wing by now.

A first round pick for Howe? My god you'd jump at that! worth a second rounder at best but I guess he is probably our only over-rated player in the media/footy circles

The thing that has changed is that I dont really care if he leaves or not. Based on his no-effort games this year

• Like 4

Then it all comes down to what we get for the pick. We either stay with a third tall option who has versatility as a swing man, which we have in Howe, and wont improve unless we throw something else in with the pick, or we lose that and go for a different type of player.

I would stay with Howe, it isn't like we have many of his type for depth. Watts, and Garlo would be the other two, and Garlo only at a stretch.

Frost will become a perfectly good swing man. For his hangers, Howe seemingly has some currency. Bank it. I wonder if Gold Coast would be interested...

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

I love loyalty and has seeing players leave the club.The reality is that we need to make some hard but hopefully carefully considered decisions on a few players including Howe. We cannot continue with players who have been around for some years and have not been able to improve or play consistently hard footy. Intensity at the contest is imperative. We need to build a skilled team but with attitude. We need a team of hard nuts like the top clubs. Guys who hate to lose a contest. I like Howe, I like how we discovered him, I like his screamers and l like the anticipation of waiting for a screamer. However, there is the feeling of Frawley all over again. If we can gain a consistent ball winner, then Howe and others need to be looked at. We have got some great young kids but we need to continue to develop the team by bringing in players to add to the core of young kids.

• Like 2

I watched him jog around in front of me most of the day.

Paradoxically, we can do better.

This. Many on here get overly excited by the term "1st round pick". There's a massive difference between a top 5 pick and a pick in the teens. We're not going to get a top 5 pick for Howe, so I'd only trade him for a proven commodity.

• Like 1

This. Many on here get overly excited by the term "1st round pick". There's a massive difference between a top 5 pick and a pick in the teens. We're not going to get a top 5 pick for Howe, so I'd only trade him for a proven commodity.

spot on mo.

Hate to see Howe go - simply put and I find it strange that people think clubs should trade away good players .

Names come up this year like Murphy Gibbs Yarran for example why? Why would you give away guys who can play? look what happened when they lost Betts Garlett Robinson Waite . A little bit of Rogue is required in a brutal sport , characters in a group setting giving the guys spark in their own way.

Howe gives us a spark in a different way and from all reports is great around the club during the week.

Seriously people here want Watts and Howe to go . unbelievable.

Trade away guys who have stagnated perhaps after giving good service or who don't have the opportunity they deserve. Guys who are a work in progress and have the attributes ( attributes are not ours in spades ) stay and be part of our run at success.Good coaching and a culture that allows people to be themselves and contribute on match day will be something worthwhile and hopefully they can look back at their time at Melbourne as a great time.

• Like 5

Hes gone. Big offer from GWS , all orchestrated by the AFL who want another drawcard at the Giants.

Roos and co ecstatic with the deal. Its overs for a very average inconsistent player.

And lets praise the lord that Mumfrod is out for the season. We just went from something pick pick 12 for Howe to pick 8.

No we won't - GWS they'll need it for one of their academy players. I'm not sure their offer wasn't just a spoiler for our sniffing around.

• Like 2

Are you really serious?.......You really take notice of Demonland Player of the year votes????

You would really take a pimply 18 year old for him????? Which would involve 2 to 3 years of development as we have seen with Stretch and ABN

You have to pay the cap for your players

So by your reasoning we should ignore all stats for all players and just watch for their impact on the game.....We wouldn't have a side.....Players have roles these days dictated by the coaches......He keeps getting a game so must be doing something right.

My point which you obviously missed, whilst his stats on paper look good, the majority of people watching the game can see his impact has been negligible. Demonland votes (I see as a general punter who watches us regularly) was the closest thing to look at but if you like I can dig out how many times he has been named him in the official bests or wait to see how low he is in the B&F (which I suspect will be low). Where did I say to ignore all stats? I am highlighting not to look at them in isolation? If we do want to talk stats I would be keen to know where he sits on defensive acts. How have you rated his season? Where would you rank him in the list of important players on our list?

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

Where did I say throw him away? I trust the people in charge to know what they can get and maximise this for the betterment of our list. Bernie Vince cost us what pick?

• Like 1

I would assume that if we are able to get a top-20 pick, we'd be hoping to use it in a trade. I'm not sure I'd be happy with trading Howe and getting back a kid, given we're going to be getting our own top 10 pick anyway. But if we can get a top-20 pick which may have use for us in negotiations to secure a more established player, then that could be something quite useful.

FWIW, I like Howe and at his best I think he is important to us and makes us a better side (whether it's providing run off half-back or providing a difficult match up forward). I'd prefer to keep him unless there is a truly decent option on the line (i.e. something we can use a pick on).

Yarran at his best v Howe at his best.

Yes please! And that's no disrespect to Howe.

I'm open to losing Howe, but Yarran's so mediocre, that would be a ridiculously bad decision.

Roos and co ecstatic with the deal. Its overs for a very average inconsistent player.

And lets praise the lord that Mumfrod is out for the season. We just went from something pick pick 12 for Howe to pick 8.

Bulldust, completely made up HH. They will need their first pick for an academy player. If Howe does go to GWS it will more likely be as part of a player trade. I hope it's Treloar for Howe and our 1st rounder

• Like 2

Saw the thread topic, read some of the insightful posts and rhubarb in-between, but Howe is gone at years end.

Gone to where?

Why is he going?

How do you know?

What do we get back in return?

SOURCE or GTFO

crossed-arms-2-gif.gif

• Like 1

Where did I say throw him away? I trust the people in charge to know what they can get and maximise this for the betterment of our list. Bernie Vince cost us what pick?

You said you would take a top 20 pick and run if it was offered. Hence my comment that you would throw away a known entity for an untried kid drafted in the teens in a shallow draft. That is what you proposed.

I'd be happy to let him go IF we had a replacement waiting in the wings. If we got a pick in the teens then I would rather us package that with something for a trade than drafting another kid. We need more quality, not more kids.

Replacement? An inconsistent high flyer?

And to add WB I do love him at his best, he is an exciting player but for mine he doesn't influence a game enough when we need players to stand up.

• Like 2

You said you would take a top 20 pick and run if it was offered. Hence my comment that you would throw away a known entity for an untried kid drafted in the teens in a shallow draft. That is what you proposed.

On trade the pick.
  • Like 1