• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Intra Club - Thursday 19 February 2015 at Casey Fields @ 3pm

Demonland

Just about everything has been reported, but I would like to add a couple more observations:

* Viney is one tough, hard and competitive beast. Brayshaw thought he had a chance one on one going for the loose ball. Not only did Viney win it hands down, but Brayshaw walked away holding his jaw. Certainly hope he was OK, and although he played on for another 10 minutes, he was last seen going up the race with a trainer, still feeling the side of his face.

* Garlett was simply a streak in the forward line. Something we haven't seen since Flash. Just when you think the ball is bouncing around going nowhere, in he comes...making everyone else look like they are standing still. And his snap from deep in the pocket under pressure was an obsolute pearler. Most of the crowd were silent, because they didn't believe it was a goal.

* Salem kicking in will be an monumental step up. Accurate, raking kicks to the open man was a delight to watch. Grimes is going to struggle to find a spot when you already have Garland, Dunn, McDonald, Lamumba and Frost filling the main spots. Where do Howe and Jack fit in if Salem is in the mix as well?

* Gee Jonesy is great. His carving through a series of players in the first quarter was beautiful to watch. And Cross is another one who seems to make time stand still when he has the ball in his hands. Again poetry in motion

* Jamar absolutely owned the ruck, but dropped out of the game around the ground too quickly. Pedersen is going to be the bonus player for us as he can play in virtually any role....forward, back or ruck.

* Lamumba is something special to us as well. Finally, we have someone who can break lines and open the game up. Even when he marks with his back to the play, he twists in mid-air looking for the next option...no static play in the backline with him around!

• Like 31

Hi all, went out to Casey today for a look and wish i could offer some new insights but my summary pretty much echoes the thoughts of others (text below). Have been a regular attendee of training for a few years now but first time putting my thoughts out there for the harsh collective of demonlanders to rip apart piece by piece.. I'm also on the committee of the MFC Young Professionals and have included an interview with Howie after the game on our Facebook page for those interested (https://www.facebook.com/mfcyoungprofessionals).

Intra-Club Report

Nice sunny day out at Casey and a good chance for new recruits and old stagers to show what theyve learnt as a group over summer..

Garlett played very well, showing his skill around goals and up the ground, will really fill the void of that crumbing forward weve missed the last few years.

Lumumba looked the goods with a few of his trademark flashy runs from half back and think his disposal and decision-making is pretty solid, would like to see him off half back combining with Salem who did some really nice things today and linked up well as the go-to quarterback player when looking to pierce the ball to a target coming out of defence.

No surprises from Nath Jones, Dom Tyson or Viney - Jones got plenty of it as usual, Dom Tyson sidestepped his way beautifully through traffic and Viney went in hard and was vocal out on the ground.

Hogan found plenty of space up the ground, dont know if he ran his opponent off his feet but dont think hell be given that kind of freedom when the real stuff starts. Kicked a few goals but didnt think he dominated as have seen him do for Casey in the past.

Frost was trialled forward and Pedersen in defence so not sure if theyre just experimenting there but I think Pedo looks more comfortable in both positions than the youngster at the moment.

Brayshaw went off after a collision with Viney and didnt take any further part in the game but apparently hed been sick during the week so it was just precautionary.

Petracca was on the interchange bench with strapped knee giving plenty of enthusiastic encouragement and support and getting around all players.. if hes flat, hes not showing it, was really good to see him so up and about, just a reflection of the kids personality I think..

Daniel Cross last on the track getting the rig out to kick the pill around with McKenzie and Viney well after everyone else had hit the sheds, just a true leader..

Intra-Club Votes

5 Garlett

4 N. Jones

3 Salem

2 Hogan

1 Lumumba/Dunn

Is the MFC Young Proffesionals an elitist "club", or can plebeians join? As the name sounds extremely elitist, and a little smarmy.

Well said BB, Matt Jones Terlich, McKenzie, Bail were solid today, stand outs for me today were Salem, Cross, Garlett , Nathan Jones - pleasant surprises Billy Stretch and Frost

Agree Dawes was still double grabbing disappointingly, although he managed to hold on with the second

Gawn and Spencer were about on par today, not the day for big men, about the only one still going full steam at the end was Pedersen

Vandenberg didn't play because his shoulder needs one more week, Watts because of his groin, White his toe, Vince and Howie with hammy and Jack Fitzpatrick with back related issue (I think), Hunt same still working to full fitness

Had a chat to Petracca, he is fine, just wants to stay involved, more pleased with his tweet referencing a 'computer'/console game, and JB HiFi coughed up 20 new ones, said he might mention he wouldn't mind a Mercedes in a tweet

Howie is getting frustrated, the fitness/medical staff are holding him back, he hasn't been given a return to aim at, just has to follow day by day, understands the caution though, Bernice Vince redoing his didn't help

TDI is it my imagination or has the rehab/injury group grown exponentially in the last few weeks? Does it now resemble our normal scene of carnage that we are used to every preseason since 2007?

Hi all, went out to Casey today for a look and wish i could offer some new insights but my summary pretty much echoes the thoughts of others (text below). Have been a regular attendee of training for a few years now but first time putting my thoughts out there for the harsh collective of demonlanders to rip apart piece by piece.. I'm also on the committee of the MFC Young Professionals and have included an interview with Howie after the game on our Facebook page for those interested (https://www.facebook.com/mfcyoungprofessionals).

Intra-Club Report

Nice sunny day out at Casey and a good chance for new recruits and old stagers to show what they’ve learnt as a group over summer..

Garlett played very well, showing his skill around goals and up the ground, will really fill the void of that crumbing forward we’ve missed the last few years.

Lumumba looked the goods with a few of his trademark flashy runs from half back and think his disposal and decision-making is pretty solid, would like to see him off half back combining with Salem who did some really nice things today and linked up well as the go-to quarterback player when looking to pierce the ball to a target coming out of defence.

No surprises from Nath Jones, Dom Tyson or Viney - Jones got plenty of it as usual, Dom Tyson sidestepped his way beautifully through traffic and Viney went in hard and was vocal out on the ground.

Hogan found plenty of space up the ground, don’t know if he ran his opponent off his feet but don’t think he’ll be given that kind of freedom when the real stuff starts. Kicked a few goals but didn’t think he dominated as have seen him do for Casey in the past.

Frost was trialled forward and Pedersen in defence so not sure if they’re just experimenting there but I think Pedo looks more comfortable in both positions than the youngster at the moment.

Brayshaw went off after a collision with Viney and didn’t take any further part in the game but apparently he’d been sick during the week so it was just precautionary.

Petracca was on the interchange bench with strapped knee giving plenty of enthusiastic encouragement and support and getting around all players.. if he’s flat, he’s not showing it, was really good to see him so up and about, just a reflection of the kids personality I think..

Daniel Cross last on the track getting the rig out to kick the pill around with McKenzie and Viney well after everyone else had hit the sheds, just a true leader..

Intra-Club Votes

5 – Garlett

4 – N. Jones

3 – Salem

2 – Hogan

1 – Lumumba/Dunn

Good report Behind the Goals. Much appreciated. Liked your comments on a Salem/Lumumba combo off half back. Salem has such a lovely kick. As his vision and decision making continue to improve he could become a real weapon out of defence.

Thanks to all those who have provided reports and summaries.

Intra-club matches aren't the best indicator of what's to come but it's undeniably exciting to hear positive reports about players like Garlett, Salem, Hogan and Toumpas.

We all have this idea that players can suddenly change over the course of one Summer, it rarely happens like that.

Most improvement will come from playing during the season I would imagine.

Agreed, and it's even less likely to happen to you the older you get.

This is Grimes' 8th pre-season. Granted, he hasn't been fit to participate in all of them, but at this point in time I don't think we should be expecting about-faces in his game over one summer. He is what he is, I think, and what he is to me is no longer best 22.

Is the MFC Young Proffesionals an elitist "club", or can plebeians join? As the name sounds extremely elitist, and a little smarmy.

The group comprises predominantly young professionals aged 18-40 and you'll probably get more out of it if you fall into that category but anyone is free to join, the more the merrier!

Formerly called the Future Fund, we're a subsidiary of the Melbourne Business Community.

Fair enough, but would be a bit cheeky to make an event out of half a game of footy where a large slab of the team are not even playing. I know we're all starved of the real thing, but there's a limit ...

Perhaps there'll be a more substantial hit-out in the coming week - also worth noting that Collingwood have their first NAB cup match a week before ours.

Not sure they made anymore of an event of it than we did bing. Just the fact that their setup all all in the one spot right on the edge of the CBD . Would love for us to have the same sorta setup. Thursday night. After work. Few beers. Footy. Go home. Ideal. As opposed to drive to Casey 45 minutes and enjoy no atmosphere

Anyway, back to the game, haven't heard Viv Michie mentioned did he play?

Not sure they made anymore of an event of it than we did bing. Just the fact that their setup all all in the one spot right on the edge of the CBD . Would love for us to have the same sorta setup. Thursday night. After work. Few beers. Footy. Go home. Ideal. As opposed to drive to Casey 45 minutes and enjoy no atmosphere

Anyway, back to the game, haven't heard Viv Michie mentioned did he play?

Also not sure what happened to the BBQ and other activities that were planned. That said I did leave right on 4.

Anyone stick around and witness anything?

Seems a bit of a balls up really.

Just about everything has been reported, but I would like to add a couple more observations:

* Viney is one tough, hard and competitive beast. Brayshaw thought he had a chance one on one going for the loose ball. Not only did Viney win it hands down, but Brayshaw walked away holding his jaw. Certainly hope he was OK, and although he played on for another 10 minutes, he was last seen going up the race with a trainer, still feeling the side of his face.

* Garlett was simply a streak in the forward line. Something we haven't seen since Flash. Just when you think the ball is bouncing around going nowhere, in he comes...making everyone else look like they are standing still. And his snap from deep in the pocket under pressure was an obsolute pearler. Most of the crowd were silent, because they didn't believe it was a goal.

* Salem kicking in will be an monumental step up. Accurate, raking kicks to the open man was a delight to watch. Grimes is going to struggle to find a spot when you already have Garland, Dunn, McDonald, Lamumba and Frost filling the main spots. Where do Howe and Jack fit in if Salem is in the mix as well?

* Gee Jonesy is great. His carving through a series of players in the first quarter was beautiful to watch. And Cross is another one who seems to make time stand still when he has the ball in his hands. Again poetry in motion

* Jamar absolutely owned the ruck, but dropped out of the game around the ground too quickly. Pedersen is going to be the bonus player for us as he can play in virtually any role....forward, back or ruck.

* Lamumba is something special to us as well. Finally, we have someone who can break lines and open the game up. Even when he marks with his back to the play, he twists in mid-air looking for the next option...no static play in the backline with him around!

Top report GOTO - thanks.

Happy to hear Stretch showed a bit. Even though he's still slight, he's gonna crack some games this year. I think he's gonna be a really good player for us long term. He just has something special about him. He'll wind up being an Isaac Smith/Brad Hill type, and we know they are super important to the Hawks for their run and skill. Can't wait to watch him tear it up!

• Like 2

Interesting how many here who weren't at the game today are willing to buy into the prejudices against certain players.

One of the usual suspects got a good write up on his disposal (not from 'TDI'), yet I'm not seeing anyone complimenting him on his improved disposal over the preseason.

It's the first hit out of the season. Let's wait and see when the heat is on who has improved and who is a liability, for me I can usually get a good gauge after the NAB challenge but at the latest the first few games will tell us where we are at individually and club wise.

• Like 4

Happy to hear Stretch showed a bit. Even though he's still slight, he's gonna crack some games this year. I think he's gonna be a really good player for us long term. He just has something special about him. He'll wind up being an Isaac Smith/Brad Hill type, and we know they are super important to the Hawks for their run and skill. Can't wait to watch him tear it up!

Stretch can play, both him and his mate ANB (if he can get over the knee prob) will tear it up at VFL level this year and push for games later in the year.
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention that some of the umpiring today was comical from recognisable AFL umps.

They triggered a poor Casey kid for holding the ball when he got crunched and landed on the footy and 3 guys piled on him. I really hope it's preseason rust for them because if they want to dial up holding the ball and blabber on about making an effort to get rid of it quickly then we are in for one long and frustrating season.

From October until March I like to forget that umpires exist, I nearly made it, but you've ruined it.

* Salem kicking in will be an monumental step up. Accurate, raking kicks to the open man was a delight to watch. Grimes is going to struggle to find a spot when you already have Garland, Dunn, McDonald, Lamumba and Frost filling the main spots. Where do Howe and Jack fit in if Salem is in the mix as well?* Lamumba is something special to us as well. Finally, we have someone who can break lines and open the game up. Even when he marks with his back to the play, he twists in mid-air looking for the next option...no static play in the backline with him around!

And you forget about Jetta who wasn't there today!

Thanks for your contributions - they've all been most enlightening when added to the following media -

Hoping for Hogan heroics

Hogan, Garlett shine in intra-club

Photo Gallery

I'm currently in Aukland on vacation so, assuming there's no MFC training today, I'm thinking of emulating TDI who reported on Richmond's training last Wednesday by taking a look at a NZ Vodafone Warriors training session (if I can find one) :lol:

My first venture out to see the boys this pre season, and the following are my highlights of the events:

N.Jones, was dominant, classy, prolific, and everything you expect of a leader.

Salem will be a revelation off the half back line.. his silky skills and reading of the play were clearly obvious today. He made difficult passes look simple, and he was creative and impressive.

Garlett will quickly become a fan favourite.. he makes something out of nothing , and his skills are sublime. As Baghdad Bob said earlier, he'll make Malthouse look foolish, which is not a bad thing.

Newton, looked to be coasting but got a lot of the ball and regularly used it well.

Toumpas was neat and efficient, but his gait looks weird, and it's hard to tell if he'll ever be quick enough when the pressure is exerted.

Hogan had little to beat, being matched up against an undersized, top up player, but he has obviously been given the liberty to travel far and wide for his kicks, often marking the ball around the wing area. He is strong, fit and aggressive, though I noticed him pull up from a possible collision with a much smaller opponent for fear of having to attend a funeral the next day. I have no doubt he'd be happy to attend once the season is in progress though.

Gawn looks very fit and actually looks like an athlete rather than a woodcutter. I liked the way he moved around the ground and actually did more impressive stuff below his knees than above his head.

Dunn is a general and is taking his vice captaincy role very seriously.. he was very vocal and extremely instructive

Disappointments from today:

Ball movement was still not as slick as hoped for. It WAS very hot but the day was still and conducive to effective transfer of the ball.

No dominant ruckman who could regularly impose on a game.

Brayshaw appearing to sustain a jaw injury, albeit seemingly not serious.

Senior players, who will remain nameless at this early stage of the season , making the same clangers we've grown to detest.

The umpires, who continued to make game changing decisions against us.

Signed in for the first time in years to like this post...

• Like 6

Stretch can play, both him and his mate ANB (if he can get over the knee prob) will tear it up at VFL level this year and push for games later in the year.

Not the same type of players it seems, although it's possible that these two will be absolutely bargain picks for the club - a bit like Rory Sloane for the Crows.

Sloane, according to comments I've heard made by Paul Roos previously (before he joined the Dees), had all the characteristics of a decent, hard at it, junior - was a bit slight etc, but the underlying attributes were all there. That said, no club was ever going to invest a first rounder on him - too slight, too much of a risk for a high pick, but was nonetheless always going to be a good AFL player.

I reckon Stretch and ANB are a bit the same. They will make it, but no club was going to bid a first rounder for them, essentially for similar reasons. But, ironically, I think they will make it as very effective, long term AFL players and people will eventually say, 'how did these guys slide to picks in the 40s?'

Perhaps it's the lack of obvious physical or star attributes as juniors?

• Like 1

...and which reminds me of this story

doesnt surprise me wun bit !!

Hogan and Garlett!... seven goals between them.

Yay!

the times, they are a changing !!

Not the same type of players it seems, although it's possible that these two will be absolutely bargain picks for the club - a bit like Rory Sloane for the Crows.

Sloane, according to comments I've heard made by Paul Roos previously (before he joined the Dees), had all the characteristics of a decent, hard at it, junior - was a bit slight etc, but the underlying attributes were all there. That said, no club was ever going to invest a first rounder on him - too slight, too much of a risk for a high pick, but was nonetheless always going to be a good AFL player.

I reckon Stretch and ANB are a bit the same. They will make it, but no club was going to bid a first rounder for them, essentially for similar reasons. But, ironically, I think they will make it as very effective, long term AFL players and people will eventually say, 'how did these guys slide to picks in the 40s?'

Perhaps it's the lack of obvious physical or star attributes as juniors?

They're both ahead of Brayshaw and Petracca (def now!) I reckon, on account of having played senior footy. I've had a feeling since we drafted Stretch that we'll see a lot of him this year. His size will become irrelevant very quickly, as his physique looks remarkably mature to me....very low body fat, just a classic running build.
  • Like 6

They're both ahead of Brayshaw and Petracca (def now!) I reckon, on account of having played senior footy. I've had a feeling since we drafted Stretch that we'll see a lot of him this year. His size will become irrelevant very quickly, as his physique looks remarkably mature to me....very low body fat, just a classic running build.

I am the anti stretch

• Like 1