2014 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions
3.2.20 3.2.20 6.4.40 7.6.48

Port Melbourne
4.5.29 10.11.71 13.16.94 23.18.156

Goals

Casey Scorpions
Fitzpatrick Salem 2 Best Davis Smith

Port Melbourne Connors 5 Lange 4 Johnson O'Sullivan 2 Bonaddio Davies Johnston Magner Mascitti O'Sullivan Pinwill Sandilands Thornton Wooffindin

Casey Scorpions Rutherford Harmes Morris Salem Fitzpatrick Georgiou

Port Melbourne Lange Pinwill Wooffindin Valenti Connors O'Sullivan

THE WORST OF TIMES by KC from Casey

This weekend proved to be the worst of times for the fourteenth placed Casey Scorpions to travel to North Port Oval to take on top of the ladder Port Melbourne who were already two games clear of the rest of the competition.

Casey was coming off an improved patch of form after a disastrous season, having won two of their last three games and narrowly lost the other but they also lost their dominant ruckman Max Gawn to the AFL and their list of Demon players was continuing to shrink as it normally does at this time of year (only nine played, including two rookies).

The Scorpions have performed at their worst this year against experienced hard bodied teams which is a perfect match for the Port Melbourne description and the Borough were buoyed by the news that premiership coach Gary Ayres will continue in the job for 2015.

The majority of the VFL listed players in the Casey team have played less than a dozen VFL senior games and this week's crop included another two debutants in Alex Carr from Gippsland Power and Sean Corrigan who has spent the last couple of seasons in the development league team.

The Casey team lacked the height, the size and the fitness to go with their more seasoned opponents, a factor that was evident all over the ground and in particular the key positions.

As a result, apart from an early burst with the aid of the breeze led by two goals from Jack Fitzpatrick and one from Jake Best, the game was a complete mismatch.

Port overpowered the Scorpions late in the opening term to take a nine-point lead at the first break but then the game got ugly as the Borough kicked clear with 19 goals to four in the final three quarters to record a resounding 108-point victory.

The undersized and undermanned Scorpions received a major blow early in the third term when Alex Georgiou was felled behind the play and was taken off the ground in a groggy condition. He took no further part in the game.

The final quarter was a total capitulation for Casey with Port kicking ten unanswered goals until Christian Salem, one of Casey's better players on the day, booted his second goal moments before the final siren.

Rookie James Harmes put in a promising display, as did impressive Casey youngster Ed Morris. Jack Fitzpatrick worked hard against the odds and Evan Panozza toiled hard as leader but that was just about it for the day.

2014 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 3.2.20 3.2.20 6.4.40 7.6.48

Port Melbourne 4.5.29 10.11.71 13.16.94 23.18.156

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fitzpatrick Salem 2 Best Davis Smith

Port Melbourne Connors 5 Lange 4 Johnson O'Sullivan 2 Bonaddio Davies Johnston Magner Mascitti O'Sullivan Pinwill Sandilands Thornton Wooffindin

Casey Scorpions Rutherford Harmes Morris Salem Fitzpatrick Georgiou

Port Melbourne Lange Pinwill Wooffindin Valenti Connors O'Sullivan

In the early game, the Borough have thrashed the young Scorps by 112 points after visitors made a promising start in the opening quarter.

2014 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 3.5.23 3.6.24 4.9.33 4.10.34

Port Melbourne 1.4.10 9.10.64 16.13.109 21.20.146

Goals

Casey Scorpions Fisscher 2 Collins Corry

Port Melbourne Prowse 6 Clarke Rowe 3 Breust 2 Hogan 2 Hayes Henderson McKenzie Scipione Woods

Best

Casey Scorpions Fisscher Jackson Anderson Pears Smith Corry

Port Melbourne Muling Prowse Prowse Hayes Johnston McKenzie

This week's stats -

Mitch Clisby 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 5 marks 4 tackles 86 Dream Team Points

Michael Evans 17 disposals 7 kicks 10 handballs 5 marks 2 tackles 61 Dream Team Points

Jack Fitzpatrick 2 goals 15 disposals 11 kicks 4 handballs 9 marks 1 tackles 41 hit outs 125 Dream Team Points

Alexis Georgiou 7 disposals 5 kicks 2 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 34 Dream Team Points

James Harmes 16 disposals 7 kicks 9 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 74 Dream Team Points

Dan Nicholson 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 10 marks 1 tackles 80 Dream Team Points

Christian Salem 2 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 12 kicks 9 handballs 1 marks 4 tackles 83 Dream Team Points

James Strauss 17 disposals 14 kicks 3 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 66 Dream Team Points

Dean Terlich 16 disposals 8 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 64 Dream Team Points

Nothing stands out there other than the efforts of Christian Salem and Jack Fitzpatrick who would both be chances for a recall into the Melbourne team at some stage in the last three rounds. Harmes is a rookie and looks set to stay on as a rookie into 2015. The rest would be on shaky ground subject to their contractual positions.

Some of the other stats from the game are pretty damning.

Port Melbourne amassed 443 disposals to 266 and had 72 inside 50s to 39. Only three Casey listed players reached double figures in possessions (plus Gippsland Power Under 18's Alex Carr who was the 23rd player). Most of the rest were kids who came up from local competitions, with a handful of games at any senior level.

As a result, this game was always going to be a total mismatch despite the presence of MFC listed players.

It seems that the problem stems from the fact that the poker machine fiasco from a couple of years ago has severely impaired the club. I'm not sure where it can go from here and while I've always supported the alignment, I'm starting to waver.

In order to develop and get the best out of themselves, our listed players need to be playing at a reasonably high standard when not in the AFL side but when their VFL teammates are well below the competition's standards, I have to question whether the alignment remains in our best interests.

In order to develop and get the best out of themselves, our listed players need to be playing at a reasonably high standard when not in the AFL side but when their VFL teammates are well below the competition's standards, I have to question whether the alignment remains in our best interests.

Have to agree 'Jack', if we stick with the alignment we will have to put some money in to improve the list. Either that or we go our own way. No matter what way we go it is going to cost. The current situation can't be good for player development.

This week's stats -

Mitch Clisby 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 5 marks 4 tackles 86 Dream Team Points

Michael Evans 17 disposals 7 kicks 10 handballs 5 marks 2 tackles 61 Dream Team Points

Jack Fitzpatrick 2 goals 15 disposals 11 kicks 4 handballs 9 marks 1 tackles 41 hit outs 125 Dream Team Points

Alexis Georgiou 7 disposals 5 kicks 2 handballs 2 marks 2 tackles 34 Dream Team Points

James Harmes 16 disposals 7 kicks 9 handballs 3 marks 6 tackles 74 Dream Team Points

Dan Nicholson 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 handballs 10 marks 1 tackles 80 Dream Team Points

Christian Salem 2 goals 1 behind 21 disposals 12 kicks 9 handballs 1 marks 4 tackles 83 Dream Team Points

James Strauss 17 disposals 14 kicks 3 handballs 3 marks 2 tackles 66 Dream Team Points

Dean Terlich 16 disposals 8 kicks 8 handballs 6 marks 2 tackles 64 Dream Team Points

Nothing stands out there other than the efforts of Christian Salem and Jack Fitzpatrick who would both be chances for a recall into the Melbourne team at some stage in the last three rounds. Harmes is a rookie and looks set to stay on as a rookie into 2015. The rest would be on shaky ground subject to their contractual positions.

Some of the other stats from the game are pretty damning.

Port Melbourne amassed 443 disposals to 266 and had 72 inside 50s to 39. Only three Casey listed players reached double figures in possessions (plus Gippsland Power Under 18's Alex Carr who was the 23rd player). Most of the rest were kids who came up from local competitions, with a handful of games at any senior level.

As a result, this game was always going to be a total mismatch despite the presence of MFC listed players.

It seems that the problem stems from the fact that the poker machine fiasco from a couple of years ago has severely impaired the club. I'm not sure where it can go from here and while I've always supported the alignment, I'm starting to waver.

WJ for once I tend to disagree with you, these are full time professional footballers, it is their job, if they can't lift at VFL level to help their more inexperienced team mates, then there is not much of a future at AFL level, it is just footy, doesn't matter what level you are at, if you are a good player you will stand out, according to reports we had 2 or 3 do that. If as you say the Casey guys are inexperienced, I would expect to see 6 Melbourne listed players in the best each week, that is not the case

WJ for once I tend to disagree with you, these are full time professional footballers, it is their job, if they can't lift at VFL level to help their more inexperienced team mates, then there is not much of a future at AFL level, it is just footy, doesn't matter what level you are at, if you are a good player you will stand out, according to reports we had 2 or 3 do that. If as you say the Casey guys are inexperienced, I would expect to see 6 Melbourne listed players in the best each week, that is not the case

This is the only week that there hasn't been the full compliment of Melbourne players in the best, not only that but I feel that the big issue at the moment is that not all of out AFL listed players are of AFL standard and even fewer of the casey players are of a standard that could be considered VFL. Especially considering we used to have some of the better non-afl players at casey this is a big change and really needs to be addressed.

Another point that is necessary for consideration for caseys efforts this year is the fact hogan and spencer are injured. Last year having the five of fitzy, hogan, spencer, gawn and pedo playing vfl more often than not made a huge difference to the casey team.

But surely 2012 and 2013 has shown you that no one develops in truly bad football teams. For most of the year at Casey the best has been dominated by Michie, McKenzie, Gawn, Blease etc. Not 6 out of 6 but pretty close.

The two experienced senior VFL players on the Casey list are Evan Panozza and Troy Davis and they are more back up tall players, certainly not at the pointy end of state league players. They've only been in the best 6 players 4 times and 3 times respectively. Jake Best only once. Ed Morris who was straight out of the TAC and in the 2's mid season has been in the best 4 times.

Look at this list: http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?id=20320211&c=1-118-0-294689-0

Only Morris, Panozza, Smith and Davis in the best more than twice. That's an indictment on what Casey are bringing to the table.

And of course the Melbourne list has (as all AFL lists are) been subjected to injury. No Clark, Hogan or Trengove all year. Spencer, Byrnes, King, Hunt missing big chunks.

Casey have also lost a fair few close ones with fade outs. So it's not all a disaster. And as younger guys develop they might run out games better. Just pinching a couple of close ones and going from a 5-11 record to a 7-9 record would probably be a reasonable year. And that might have happened with just one or two more experienced Casey players.

• Like 1

But that's not what I'm saying. If we want our VFL aligned partner to provide an ideal environment for the development of our players, then we need to have them playing together with VFL players of a reasonably high standard. No offence to the young blokes who Casey are bringing into the system but most of them struggle to get into the game at this level and that's not good for us or them.

Unfortunately, it most likely boils down to money and the Scorpions don't appear to have it or alternatively are reluctant to spend it. Perhaps they got their fingers burnt with Fevola but I think the most likely reason is a lack of resources.

Back in the days of our alignment with Sandringham they had players like Liddell, Gallagher, Sautner, Buddlecombe, Crowe, Summers and others like Lamb, Poyas and Rigoni who stayed on after their careers with Melbourne were over. As a result, Melbourne players were playing in a strong team environment, something which is not happening ATM.

• Like 2

We should link up with Port Melbourne somehow.

Our name is there....almost same colours....same song.

Solid winning culture!!

Edited by Rusty Nails

Was there a player review this week?

I can understand if there wasn't.

I don't know how Strauss went but it's disappointing he doesn't look like getting a go this year particularly as he seemed to be part of Roos plans during pre-season. In the sessions I saw he was a stand out but unfortunately it hasn't translated to senior footy. I wonder if he's delisted if we'll rookie him in the hope of "getting another Jetta".

Was there a player review this week?

I can understand if there wasn't.

I don't know how Strauss went but it's disappointing he doesn't look like getting a go this year particularly as he seemed to be part of Roos plans during pre-season. In the sessions I saw he was a stand out but unfortunately it hasn't translated to senior footy. I wonder if he's delisted if we'll rookie him in the hope of "getting another Jetta".

Its up. Very blunt and brutal. I like it.

VFL Player Review