Shannon Byrnes retires

Ted Lasso

A terrible signing, diluted our FA compo for Rivers/Moloney and provided bugger all on the field. However, he seemed like a good clubman and got every last bit out of his talent at Geelong. 131 games is nothing to sneeze at. Good luck to him.

Top bloke, who was probs finished when we signed him. But, he kicked a few goals when a lot of other players couldn't last year.

Won a flag, can retire very happy. Well done.

• Like 2

I think it's really poor form to give the bloke a backhander when he's calling it quits.

Not like he's going to read it. This is a discussion forum. I paid the guy his dues in the second half of my post anyway. It's not his fault Neeld and co chased his signature.

Edited by Sylvia Saint
  • Like 1

Not like he's going to read it. This is a discussion forum. I paid the guy his dues in the second half of my post anyway. It's not his fault Neeld and co chased his signature.

So you thought you would add to it again, pathetic, couldn't you just put the second half, made you feel better did it?

Shannon Byrnes went out and tried 100% every time he pulled on MFC jumper, that'll do me, hope he enjoys his retirement and looking at his two premiership medals, which is two more than anybody on Demonland will ever get

• Like 5

Really good player in his prime, which sadly wasn't at the Dees. Still, he gave it everything when he wore the Red and Blue, which was more than many others.

So you thought you would add to it again, pathetic, couldn't you just put the second half, made you feel better did it?

Shannon Byrnes went out and tried 100% every time he pulled on MFC jumper, that'll do me, hope he enjoys his retirement and looking at his two premiership medals, which is two more than anybody on Demonland will ever get

Unnecessary.

Look I'm not going to carry on about it, but it's not about whether he reads it, it's about paying respect where it is due (and I acknowledge you did in your post - but the right doesn't correct the wrong). I don't think being on a discussion forum changes when a comment is appropriate or when it isn't - there has been and will be plenty of opportunities to put forth views on how he went at the MFC, I think the timing is wrong. Just my view.

I'd prefer this wasn't turned in to a fight, please.

• Like 4

I beg your pardon sir, I have two from my halcyon days with the Euroa Under 13's.

• Like 4

Fumbled, missed tackles, never did anything with the ball.

Sure he had a crack and apparently was a nice bloke but he was enjoying collecting cheques for 2 more years than he should have.

I have 4 ovens and murry premiership medals, does that count

Really who for? Played the last couple of years there.

Anyways well done byrnesy, squeezed out every talent he had. 131 games and two flags with one of the greatest teams in the decade is a mighty fine effort!

Hopefully he succeeds in whatever path he chooses.

• Like 2

Good on him. Unlike some I was not so critical of the bloke. He played a couple of good games for us in 2012 and was brought in more for his leadership than anything else. Best of luck to him and I hope we see him around the club.

• Like 1

Never doubt his commitment to the club.. 2 time premiership player, speak for itself. Wasn't the best signing in regards to on field, god knows why we didn't just pick him up in the PSD.. But only those inside the club would know he's true value and hopefully his passed on some great knowledge to the young blokes

Edited by JV7
  • Like 1

Sure he had a crack and apparently was a nice bloke but he was enjoying collecting cheques for 2 more years than he should have.

And that's his fault is it? He was one of the most maligned players on our list who gave it a real crack everytime he took the field. It is hardly his fault that he was firstly recruited and secondly given games. I have nothing but respect for the guy and wish him well in whatever he does next.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 3

Byrnes didn't have the impact on our team (in a gameday sense) that we as supporters, the MFC as a club or even he as a player would have expected, but as to whether that means he he has had an influence on younger players learning how to train, prepare for games, and all of the other things that happen behind the scenes at a football club? So to say that he enjoyed the cheque effectively for nothing is in bad taste.

I suspect that he has probably been more influential off the field due to the fact that he has been injured than we would suspect... especially if as the article on afl.com.au suggests that Byrnes wants to look at a career in coaching after playing, and the club is going to allow him to develop his skills in this area for the remainder of the season... it's not as if he spent the last 2 years on his playstation!!

• Like 1

I believe we ( the Melbourne Football Club) asked him to join us (the Melbourne Football Club).

And I'm sure as you say he enjoyed being paid for his work which as I have been told was as much off the field as on it.

In years to come Mr Byrnes will look back at his career in football with a satisfaction.

• Like 1