Tom McDonald?

DeeSpencer

I actually really want to see the Hogan/McDonald combination. Worth a try.

The only problem is what to do with Dawes!

McDonald 2nd ruck against Essendon would be a winner as well. Tire out their ruck until Gawn comes back and all he can cover the ground like an extra midfielder.

The only problem is what to do with Dawes!

McDonald 2nd ruck against Essendon would be a winner as well. Tire out their ruck until Gawn comes back and all he can cover the ground like an extra midfielder.

Not really...

Tommy did play a few of his Casey games as a forward ruck.

Clearly, he has some attributes, but you NEVER want the ball in his hands.

The problem with that is that he can provide really great dash out of the back half and runs bloody hard... But then often struggles to hit a target. He definitely wasn't the only one last night though.

I reckon McDonald has been a bit off since he copped a heavy knock to the head against Collingwood (?).

• Like 2

Clearly, he has some attributes, but you NEVER want the ball in his hands.

Yep, that kick to NicNat in the middle of the ground... Could see it happening as soon as he turned inboard.

He hasn't learned his limitations yet. Hopefully over time he stops trying to do kicks that are too difficult for him.

• Like 3

The problem with that is that he can provide really great dash out of the back half and runs bloody hard... But then often struggles to hit a target. He definitely wasn't the only one last night though.

I reckon McDonald has been a bit off since he copped a heavy knock to the head against Collingwood (?).

Defiantly been a different player since that match.

Yep, that kick to NicNat in the middle of the ground... Could see it happening as soon as he turned inboard.

He hasn't learned his limitations yet. Hopefully over time he stops trying to do kicks that are too difficult for him.

As a long time detractor of his kicking he has , for mine, taken some quite lofty steps this season in improving that element. However his judgement as to the when and where of such still leaves me exasperated often.

He has been out of sorts lately for sure.. Shame..was playing very VERY well,other than some odd disposals :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Early season he was in all australian form...now he has lost the plot....Lynden Dunn is our no 1 back atm & not afraid to show it either.

Tommygun doesn't seem right......looks a bit disinterested...off field perhaps?

I hope he comes good...he was outstanding for a while..

• Like 1

Early season he was in all australian form...now he has lost the plot....Lynden Dunn is our no 1 back atm & not afraid to show it either.

Tommygun doesn't seem right......looks a bit disinterested...off field perhaps?

I hope he comes good...he was outstanding for a while..

What does 'not afraid to show it' mean?

By his 2014 standards Dunn's had a crap year.

• Like 1

Tommy Mac was in the form of his career earlier this year, I don't know how it's gone so wrong. I reckon he just needs to get back to basics, he might've started to believe his own hype and believed he needs to take things on his own. Just get him back to he was doing best; fisting the ball through, body on body work, and getting the ball the hell out!

Tommy Mac was in the form of his career earlier this year, I don't know how it's gone so wrong. I reckon he just needs to get back to basics, he might've started to believe his own hype and believed he needs to take things on his own. Just get him back to he was doing best; fisting the ball through, body on body work, and getting the ball the hell out!

I don't think McDonald's the kind of player to 'believe his own hype' or anything like that.

I think the issue is one of confidence - he started the year out well and was confident and it built up for a period of, what, 8 weeks? But around the time when he got belted by Cloke in a quarter I think he's really fallen away since then, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost confidence a bit from the experience of being embarrassed in front of 60,000 people in that first quarter.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 2

I don't think McDonald's the kind of player to 'believe his own hype' or anything like that.

If anything, i would've thought that it was Roos and the coaching staff that were believing the hype (and their good work in developing him). So they thought he had become the clear #1 backman, even on the monster FF's.

Maybe it was them who got ahead of themselves and thought their job was just about done.

I think the issue is one of confidence - he started the year out well and was confident and it built up for a period of, what, 8 weeks? But around the time when he got belted by Cloke in a quarter I think he's really fallen away since then, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost confidence a bit from the experience of being embarrassed in front of 60,000 people in that first quarter.

It's probably just that he's only 22 and hasn't yet perfected the recipe for peak performance for 22 games a year.

• Like 9

The gap between his best and worst is huge, and big guys take time, he's shown enough for me to believe he will be a star for us

He's 22

What were you doing at 22 other than getting [censored] and badly hitting on girls?

Form at that age fluctuates, especially when you're a KPP in a struggling team with a questionable midfield

We have 99 problems but Tom Mcadonald ain't one

Please also note correlation between drop in form and Salem's hamstrings. Too much extra responsibility to play attacking role which is not his shtick.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 4

Great first 7-8 games. Was B&F favourite. After the last 4 games, if Sam Frost was fit, Tom's position may be questioned.

He needs work on his disposal... Please!!! in todays AFL, his disposal can be a killer

I don't think so...

MFC supporters are so uncomfortable with talent performing at an AA level, that when it doesn't perform at that level for a month - they want to drop the bloke.

Just...stop.

• Like 6

Doesn't look to moving as freely as in the earlier part of the season.

Runs hard alright. That run he went on in the saints game and finished with a goal was awesome.

• Like 1