Jake Spencer re-signs for 2 years

Ted Lasso

Anything?

Shelf-stacker, landscaper, delivery driver, work the drive through at maccas...

after all written above, you still just don't get it.

helping our kids mature is part of our responsibility to help them achieve.

you just want to burn everything. no idea. time will tell us all.

Anything?

How many games of AFL have you played Machsy?

what a ridiculous comment.

Anybody else get the feeling the club might be trying to build momentum to get a big crowd on QB, so will announce another couple of signings in the next 2 days..?

I think it is more likely that they did their mid season review after the bye, and are literally just moving down the list signing up their priorities now.

They'll have started with TMac and, given he isn't announced yet, I'd be surprised if he has signed or will sign in the immediate future.

Anything?

after all written above, you still just don't get it.

helping our kids mature is part of our responsibility to help them achieve.

you just want to burn everything. no idea. time will tell us all.

How many games of AFL have you played Machsy?

what a ridiculous comment.

Guys, Machsy's just trying a bit of humour. Over the years this site has been full of hyperbole with "could be anything" one of the most derided expressions. My other favourite to deride is any claim that someone is giving 110% (or any number over 100%, as if it were possible). Clearly you didn't find Machsy funny, so I won't add that I can see Fitzy's alternative employment as a stand-in for the giraffes at the zoo.

• Like 1

Anything?

Now that Bootsma is gone I'd say the Fitz reclaims the lead as most awkward looking bloke in the AFL.

Really hope he can get his form together he's such a fascinating delight to watch.

• Like 2

Guys, Machsy's just trying a bit of humour. Over the years this site has been full of hyperbole with "could be anything" one of the most derided expressions. My other favourite to deride is any claim that someone is giving 110% (or any number over 100%, as if it were possible). Clearly you didn't find Machsy funny, so I won't add that I can see Fitzy's alternative employment as a stand-in for the giraffes at the zoo.

oh, so you mean he wasn't paying anyone any respect then LDvC, or maybe just an arrogance of people. Humour is something that is shared with others.

and he then needs you to bail him out...

I don't remember it that way. I actually thought Spencer got way on top in the ruck in the second half and was part of the reason we came back in that game. I know Nicholls was carrying an injury but Spencer was also carrying an ankle from the previous week, and since Jamar was still a week away they had to play Spencer. Since that game he's been out for 2 months.

Cam Pedersen was rucking most the 2nd half because Spencer was getting towelled up.

Hmmm. I have Spencer as 3rd behind Jamar and Gawn. Spencer is a dud, with no footy brain. Skills are poor. Cannot go fwd. Had his chance to shine in the first 3 weeks of 2014 and failed. Aims at best to get 40 hitouts and 4 disposals.

He has size and is apparently a good bloke.

Thought 50/50 at best to stay on the list. Lucky to get 2 years in my opinion. But that just my opinion ... MFC knows better.

• Like 1

Cam Pedersen was rucking most the 2nd half because Spencer was getting towelled up.

Really?

You don't reckon it might have to do with Spencer's ankle injury deteriorating. Fact is he shouldn't have been selected that game, he wasn't medically fit and had been unable to train for the previous two weeks

• Like 1

Hmmm. I have Spencer as 3rd behind Jamar and Gawn. Spencer is a dud, with no footy brain. Skills are poor. Cannot go fwd. Had his chance to shine in the first 3 weeks of 2014 and failed. Aims at best to get 40 hitouts and 4 disposals.

He has size and is apparently a good bloke.

Thought 50/50 at best to stay on the list. Lucky to get 2 years in my opinion. But that just my opinion ... MFC knows better.

He's 24. Bigger blokes usually take longer. I think it's a smart move by the club and it's more than merely back up, although that is where he finds himself at the moment. They obviously see his potential though. We just have to be patient, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that Jamar probably doesn't have very long left. If Spencer were delisted and Jamar were to retire at the end of next season when his contract expires, that would leave us with Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Pedersen and King as our ruck options (barring trade/draft).

King will not be ready to ruck in the AFL next season, and I think Pedersen and Fitzpatrick are more forwards than ruckmen. So, if Jamar or Gawn were to go down next year (history says it's likely), then we need Spencer.

I think this is a good signing and helps us to retain a bit of depth in our ruck stocks.

• Like 1

Really?

You don't reckon it might have to do with Spencer's ankle injury deteriorating. Fact is he shouldn't have been selected that game, he wasn't medically fit and had been unable to train for the previous two weeks

It looks like the club has rewarded him for his selfless act of playing injured.

And I don't think the club forces anyone to play injured.

It's that kind of team first attitude that Roos has instilled and rewards.

I'm imagining Roos like the Joker in The Dark Knight.

Figuratively snapping a pool cue in half, throwing it on the ground, then pushing Blease, Tapscott, Strauss and Nicholson into the middle, and telling them there's only 1 contract up for grabs...

I tend to think that the Joker confronting the mob bosses about losing their grip on Gotham City was somewhat akin to PJ giving the club some home truths about how it handled itself.

At least for the first 13 seconds of this clip!

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I'm not sold on Spencer at all, but ruckmen don't grow on trees and we're better off with him as our insurance than anyone else, to be frank.

Ultimately it's a required move given Jamar is nearing the end and Gawn has yet to show durability as the number 1 ruck.

At the same time I often wonder if we could just get a Cam Wood or Ben Hudson etc on the rookie list and just have a cheap back up.

We still haven't seen the best of Spencer but I still wonder how good he'll be. The problem is when he's doing well in hitouts and chasing little guys around and being aggressive then he's a positive factor in winning games. When he's being smashed in the ruck and can't get near it he's a negative.

Not the worst idea, unless we actually got Wood.

I'm not sold on Spencer at all, but ruckmen don't grow on trees and we're better off with him as our insurance than anyone else, to be frank.

Not the worst idea, unless we actually got Wood.

I agree Wood was no good at Collingwood and cannot get a game at Carlton.

No thanks

Spencer is not behind Gawn, because Gawn doesn't have the engine for a full game in the ruck.

unfortunately I think youre right

Something I often ponder about the ruck. Many teams over the journey get by with only an adequate ruck. What they have are good mids and ( in dinosaur parlance ) rovers ( possibly today's lingo...sharks ) wholl sweep up the ball , even playing to the strengths of opposition rucks. Yes some teams have had bloody wonderful rucks.. Cox, Sandilands, even us with White ( til the game cheated us )

But it makes me wonder if having an A grade ruck is worth the fuss, or just the ability to clear the ball. I seriously think the latter. Others mightn't :)

• Like 1

Something I often ponder about the ruck. Many teams over the journey get by with only an adequate ruck. What they have are good mids and ( in dinosaur parlance ) rovers ( possibly today's lingo...sharks ) wholl sweep up the ball , even playing to the strengths of opposition rucks. Yes some teams have had bloody wonderful rucks.. Cox, Sandilands, even us with White ( til the game cheated us )

But it makes me wonder if having an A grade ruck is worth the fuss, or just the ability to clear the ball. I seriously think the latter. Others mightn't :)

An A grade ruck is always going to be a good thing to have, especially if they can influence play away from ball ups and throw ins, but I'd rather an OK ruck division and great on ballers than the other way around. I think that the real point of ruckmen is to stop the opposition talls from dominating. If you can break even there then money and picks are probably better spent on guys that get the ball 30 odd times a game.