Josh Bootsma gets the boot

Machsy

"The players were informed this morning and none raised any objection to Bootsma's contract being terminated."

No real surprise there.

Sounds like a shite bloke, considering his girlfriend is currently pregnant, but assuming the "teenage girl" receiving the Snapchat is of age, and you'd assume she is otherwise more would be made of it, then he could conceivably be (pardon the pun) a bit stiff, if the girl was consenting and the mother was snooping.

If that is the case, I don't think he's done anything wrong, save for it being morally reprehensible.

Think that's reasonably put.

It now raises the counter-scenario.. Could have fined him and sat him out of the year of footy citing season ending surgery and delisted him early of contract at the end of the year leaving his life and football career with some possibility. He is now not a single chance of getting picked up, yet Marley Williams and Toby Greene will run around in 4 weekends for separate teams after causing serious physical harm to people.

Do I understand why they did it? Yes.

Does the punishment and subsequent life-altering media circus following it fit the crime..? I don't think so.

It must have been a toxic pattern of behaviour over a long period of time. We don't know the full story but I think these days players are supported pretty well after indiscretions so he must have thumbed his nose at all attempts to help him. Sounds like the playing group also was off side. He's young enough to pull his finger out in a lesser competition with a view to being redrafted.

Horrible circumstances for all involved. No winners will come out of this.
I must say though I am having a sly chuckle at the fate of Carlton. I remember around 2011/start of 2012 how arrogant their supporters were becoming. It all appeared to be built on a foundation of sand but they were so convinced that their team of ill gotten draft picks (Murphy, Kreuzer and Gibbs) and assorted brain morons (Brock, Robinson and Bootsma) were going to allow them to shoot their mouth off to all and sundry....
How wrong they were.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I must say though I am having a sly chuckle at the fate of Carlton. I remember around 2011/start of 2012 how arrogant their supporters were becoming. It all appeared to be built on a foundation of sand but they were so convinced that their team of ill gotten draft picks (Murphy, Kreuzer and Gibss) and assorted brain morons (Brock, Robinson and Bootsma) were going to allow them to shoot their mouth off to all and sundry....

How wrong they were.

Schadenfreude does have a beautiful taste, doesn't it. Especially as it relates to Carlscum, Collingwood or EssUndone.

• Like 2

I must say though I am having a sly chuckle at the fate of Carlton. I remember around 2011/start of 2012 how arrogant their supporters were becoming. It all appeared to be built on a foundation of sand but they were so convinced that their team of ill gotten draft picks (Murphy, Kreuzer and Gibbs) and assorted brain morons (Brock, Robinson and Bootsma) were going to allow them to shoot their mouth off to all and sundry....

How wrong they were.

We could smell them coming, or something like that.

Then, like a fart in the wind, they were gone.

• Like 1

The way they were talking about it on 360 and what will "come out tomorrow" sounds like it might be pretty serious.

I'm guessing underage.

Well if you take it as read that he was using Snapchat, as has been reported, then there's 2 ways he could have done it.

He could have sent it directly to the teenage girl in question, which is then technically a private message.

Alternatively, he could have put it on his "Snapchat story" which is consistent with Carlton referring to him putting it on what is effectively "social media" and the equivalent of posting on your Facebook - anyone that has added you can view it.

If he has done that, he has given up control and anyone underage can get access to it, but more through being reckless than any devious intent.

Either way, he needs his head read.

Well if you take it as read that he was using Snapchat, as has been reported, then there's 2 ways he could have done it.

He could have sent it directly to the teenage girl in question, which is then technically a private message.

Alternatively, he could have put it on his "Snapchat story" which is consistent with Carlton referring to him putting it on what is effectively "social media" and the equivalent of posting on your Facebook - anyone that has added you can view it.

If he has done that, he has given up control and anyone underage can get access to it, but more through being reckless than any devious intent.

Either way, he needs his head read.

The one time i'll ever agree with you on Machsy.

So you actually saw the pic, did you? Was it bruise-free?

Haven't seen it, could have been purple?

Note to self - Learn from Bootsma's mistake, do not post pictures of my 'Damien Barrett' on social media.

• Like 1

Confused inintial reports were that carlton player Josh Coxsma had sent pictures of his boots over social media.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 2

Another one of these whiteys off the rails. I tells ya, they just aren't worth the risk to recruit.

Not quite sure what that comment means.

I also feel for all those kids that would give their eye teeth for a chance - it makes me angry when players crap on the opportunity they have been given. Call me old fashioned.

Yes i too feel for the kid that has missed the draft and maybe gone on to another life path.

Couldnt imagine telling the grandkids "yep i was that close to playing league footy"

Sounds like carlton gave him 2 years of counselling and that didnt help,amazed it didnt show up on predraft testing

Another one of these whiteys off the rails. I tells ya, they just aren't worth the risk to recruit.

LOL, but on a different note, I'm very sorry for his missus, it proves Carlton has no class, they could have dumped him without the parade (as others have suggested), not that he deserves it or anything but I feel for the partner at 9mths. This she doesn't need, even if she's an unkind person I reckon you still deserve a pass at this moment in life.

LOL, but on a different note, I'm very sorry for his missus, it proves Carlton has no class, they could have dumped him without the parade (as others have suggested), not that he deserves it or anything but I feel for the partner at 9mths. This she doesn't need, even if she's an unkind person I reckon you still deserve a pass at this moment in life.

They did make a big deal of it; the bit that made me laugh is when someone asked if it was Judd, Murphy or Gibbs would they have done the same and McKay said yes. I doubt it.

• Like 1

It would have been a massive cover up if it was any of those blokes, I'm glad someone asked him, now If it happens they can't hesistate

• Like 1

it sounds like this was the final straw. 3 years they have been having issues with him. He is 21 wont get another chance and has wasted his opportunity while others would give anything to have a go. But if he did what he did then that is just wrong to be sending pics to an underage girl. Also him missing appointments and being late to training and obviously not turning up to counselling when the club is trying to help him I can see why he got the flick.

The thing is he is about to enter the challenging period of his life with parenthood and from the outside you'd think he isnt mature enough. I wonder how the conversation went when he told his partner he'd been sacked one day before she was due to give birth. Not very well im guessing.

I have given this matter a little thought. Something does not add up. It is quite rate for a player to be summarily sacked mid season and usually when it has happened is for serious criminal allegations. And even rarer for a club like Carlton to openly crucify a player for his moral and ethical failings. My take is Bootsma's sacking was orchestrated to deflect scrutiny from yet another severely embarrassing loss and drown out the increasingly loud "sack Malthouse, sack Kernahan" sharks that are circling. Now they can chant the culture change mantra to stall for more time.

Edited by america de cali