• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 5

Demonland

We are coming off a good win against Carlton and they are coming off a thumping from the Hawks.

We played them twice last year..

Rd 7 MCG Melb 7.12(54) vs 16.18(114) they dominated all stats clearly we lacked a midfield.

Melbourne - Goals/Best/Impact: Gold Coast - Goals/Best/Impact:

M.Jones(25disp) Ablett (38disp)

Terlich(23disp). Prestia(30disp 7tac)

Viney(23disp). M.Shaw (1.0 27disp)

N.Jones(20disp) D.Swallow (24disp)

J.Howe 3.3 O Meara (23disp)

R.Thomson (11marks)

A.Hall 2.3

T.Lynch 2.2

Rd 20 Ms Melb 10.17(77) vs 13.12(90)

Statistically we played well but didn't finish off in front of goal we dominated hit outs 56v34 but our 1percenters and tackle we're down 39 & 44.

Melbourne - Goals/Best/Impact: Gold Coast - Goals/Best/Impact:

J.Grimes(24disp) Swallow(28disp 1.0)

D.Terlich(23disp). Prestia(23 disp 8tac)

J.Viney(24disp) D.Stanley (21disp 1.0)

J.Watts(21disp 2.0) A.Hall (1.4 20disp)

D.Kent (19disp 2.2) O Meara (10disp)

T.Sumner 2.0

S.Day, Ablett, Dixon, Thompson all 1 goal.

The GC games this year.

Rd1 vs Rich @ MS 12.15(87) vs Rich 10.9(69) they were dominated in hit outs and clearances. This is where we can beat them if Spencer vs Nicholls but we need them to go to advantage which means we need set plays!

Gold Coast - Goals/Best/Impact: Ablett(41 disp 2.0) Prestia(32 disp 1.1) Rishitelli (28disp) Swallow (27 disp 1.4) Broughton (24disp) Harbrow (22disp) O Meara (1.0 22disp 10tac) Stanley 2.0.

Rd 2 vs Freo @ PS 5.9(39) vs 12.15(87) Fremantle dominated everything especially hit out 69 vs 19.

Gold Coast - Goals/Best/Impact: Ablett (24 disp) D.Swallow (27disp) Prestia (22disp) Rischitelli (21disp) S.Day 2.0 Matera 1.3 A. Hall 1.0 T.Lynch 1.0 O Meara (8tac)

Rd 3 vs Bris 17.12(114) vs Bris 9.7(61)

Gold Coast - Goals/Best/Impact: Ablett(3.0 38disp 10tac) Prestia (32disp) Swallow (2.2 26disp) O Meara (1.1 24 disp 7 tac) S.Day 4.0 Matera 2.1 Harbrow, KK, Lemmons, Lynch and Shaw all 1 goal.

Rd4 vs Haw @ MS 7.7(49) vs Haw 23.10(148)

Gold Coast - Goals/Best/Impact: Ablett (1.0 35 disp 8 tac) Prestia (27 disp) Swallow (27disp 1.1) A.Hall, O Meara, T.Lynch, Rischitelli and Shaw all 1 goal.

From the games this year Ablett, Prestia, Swallow and Rischitelli have been their best players, all midfielders who consistently kick goals It is vital we keep these guys quiet, Mckenzie to Ablett, Viney to Prestia (both hard nut inside mids very similar players) Cross to Rischitelli and we need to be wary of Swallow and O Meara who will get big numbers, but it all depends whether they get those numbers in there defensive half or attacking half. We are in big trouble if we let them get in space around their attacking 50.

We should dominate the ruck with hit outs, but we need to get it to our midfielders, we need set plays in there!

We have the defenders to shut down S.Day and T.Lynch who it seems are there main forward targets. We have better big men and Dawes, Frawley and Watts should be a hard to contain for GC.

Also a special mention to A.Hall very fast and loves to play against us, we have struggled to deal with him in the past and we need someone with pace to play on him. D.Stanley is another who plays well against us.

We need to be more direct when we go forward this game.

A lot to take in but I think Roos will be confident going into this game. This will really show whether the boys are improving or not.

Cant believe what I've just read over on the "ology'

A poster suggesting Nathan Jones should have a rest and be replaced by Jimmy Toumpas!??

Imagine that, a best on ground captain, in and under on baller being replaced by a soft outside receiver!

If not a tongue in cheek comment totally Unbelievable!!

One possible change for mine Jetta to replace either Terlich or Evans

Edited by picket fence

Cant believe what I've just read over on the "ology'

A poster suggesting Nathan Jones should have a rest and be replaced by Jimmy Toumpas!??

Imagine that, a best on ground captain, in and under on baller being replaced by a soft outside receiver!

If not a tongue in cheek comment totally Unbelievable!!

One possible change for mine Jetta to replace either Terlich or Evans

why do you go on there? it verges on big footy at times with some of the rubbish people believe/suggest on there.

Final team

Melbourne team: round five

B: Alex Georgiou, Tom McDonald, Lynden Dunn

HB: Dean Terlich, James Frawley, Jack Grimes

C: Jack Viney, Dom Tyson, Bernie Vince

HF: Jack Watts, Cam Pedersen, Jordie McKenzie

F: Jeremy Howe, Chris Dawes, Rohan Bail

FOLL: Jake Spencer, Nathan Jones, Daniel Cross

I/C: Jay Kennedy-Harris, Matt Jones, Neville Jetta, Michael Evans

EMG: Shannon Byrnes, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jimmy Toumpas

IN: Neville Jetta

OUT: Dean Kent (calf)

Jetta to get the sub vest?

I would think Jetta the sub unless they want to give JKH the rest and use him on and off to nurse him through the season. Evans to take Kent's spot and whilst he's has different strengths he's a good runner with a burst of speed and can hopefully provide some good leads and good pressure. He did his role last week which was to come on and mainly put on pressure to stop Carlton getting back in the game. The week before that against GWS he found the ball but either failed to mark it or do anything smart with it. Needs to find his composure this week.

Hope Kent is just tightness, his physicality and at times glorious left foot are badly needed going forward. It was his 40m wheel and spear that literally bounced of Frawley's chest last week, probably the best kick to a leading forward all year and besides Davey that we've had in a while.

• Like 1

I was watching the replay today (great having a public holiday the week after a Melbourne win). A few things I noticed:

- Viney was super exciting in patches. However he really does struggle to cover the ground consistently. He is fast, agile and strong, but he needs to work on his tank. We shouldn't be expecting him to be a top player yet, but I suspect we'll continue to see cameos for a while.

- Georgiou gets it. He has a really high intensity attitude to his defensive work. Not just spoiling, or winning the ball in his area, but running super hard to cut off options downfield or chasing down a kicker to make the disposal slightly more difficult. Impressive.

- Kent will be a decent out for us. He has pace, but he's also much better and cleaner in traffic than I gave him credit for.

- Watts is effortlessly damaging. He creates a lot of scoring opportunities, but he makes them look routine. His pace and work in traffic is so effortless that it looks normal. It isn't.

- Matt Jones' pace was important at times. He's not the most talented player, but his combination of pace and endurance makes him important.

• Like 11

I was watching the replay today (great having a public holiday the week after a Melbourne win). A few things I noticed:

- Viney was super exciting in patches. However he really does struggle to cover the ground consistently. He is fast, agile and strong, but he needs to work on his tank. We shouldn't be expecting him to be a top player yet, but I suspect we'll continue to see cameos for a while.

- Georgiou gets it. He has a really high intensity attitude to his defensive work. Not just spoiling, or winning the ball in his area, but running super hard to cut off options downfield or chasing down a kicker to make the disposal slightly more difficult. Impressive.

- Kent will be a decent out for us. He has pace, but he's also much better and cleaner in traffic than I gave him credit for.

- Watts is effortlessly damaging. He creates a lot of scoring opportunities, but he makes them look routine. His pace and work in traffic is so effortless that it looks normal. It isn't.

- Matt Jones' pace was important at times. He's not the most talented player, but his combination of pace and endurance makes him important.

I think Matt Jones has improved his disposal this season. I think he is just taking that split second to settle before kicking.

I have been a fan of Georgiou since his first NAB cup game. I think he was a tremendous choice as a Rookie. I could see him playing 100 games for us.

• Like 2

Georgiou's disposal worries me. His kicking at least does. He seems solid enough one-on-one though, but let's wait and see how he goes on a better forwardline than Carlton's. Carlton really do have a horrible list, which pleases me to say the least.

well said

Viney is very promising indeed, seems to have some tricks around the contested ball that could end up putting him a rung ahead of his esteemed predecessor, Nathan Jones. He seems to not only be able to win the hard ball but win it and cleanly escape with it Makes a big impact on the play for a 15-gamer, and he doesn't even see much of it yet. Can't say we have seen as much promise so early from many (if any) other of these high draft pick kids that have come through in the last 4-5 years. Although having said that, I remember C.Morton looked very good early!

It seems that I'm not the only Demonlander who spent a part of Good Friday watching the replay of the team's first win for the season against Carlton.

The thing that captured my imagination was the vast difference in almost every aspect of the way the game was played - the style, the effort, the confidence and the way the team set up. There was more run, more chase and a far more direct approach. It still wasn't by any means a quantum leap from pitiful to perfection but I wonder if it was the long awaited "turning point" in the team's fortunes?

Our opposition was several rungs below the West Coast of round 2 but I thought we also looked a completely different side to the one that was monstered by the Eagles or the one that meandered aimlessly through the past 2½ seasons.

Comparing games from 12 months ago might not necessarily give the full answer because opposition teams also can change (and do so dramatically) but here's a possible rough guide:

2013 Round 6: Carlton 18.13.121 defeated Melbourne 8.12.60

2014 Round 4: Melbourne 12.9.81 defeated Carlton 7.16.58

2013 Round 7: Gold Coast Suns 16.18.114 defeated Melbourne 7.12.54

2014 Round 5: ???

Accept that we need to win games like the one against the Suns but I'm looking for a real turning point like this one.

After round 16 of 1987, Melbourne had 6 wins and 10 defeats but then won the last six home and away games on end to make the finals , won two finals games and went within a whisker of making the grand final.

I'm not expecting such a radical outcome but a good enough turnaround to have us competitive on a weekly basis and at least nudging the teams in the middle of the ladder this year with a view to even better next year.