Post Match Discussion

Demonland

AM I the only one who wonders if playing Chip forward is being used as a chance to look at what our backline will look like without him? Maybe try a few players back there to see who can take his place?

No. I did to, but now think its 50/50

I think its to take the pressure off Chipper, to allow him to re-enjoy his footy, & to Prepare our backline Now, just in case he does leave.

Gibbs is gone from Carlton too.

Chip on the other hand. May just have planted a seed required for him to stay.

good we don't want him, but I'd like to get Yarran over, to let the boys go to work on him.

Edited by dee-luded

He and his wife are having a girl to. nothing wrong with having a daughter but geez if he had a son it would make a great father son in 18 years time.

We already have a women's team. Given that the father-son rule was introduced at our instigation for Ron Barassi, perhaps we should agitate now for a father-daughter rule for Junior Jones? :)

Great team effort today and it's pleasing to see we've refrained from singling out a couple to bag, they all put in today, some made a few mistakes but that's football.

Good to see so many Dees supporters there today and good to see the players that Roos and the recruiters brought in to the side contribute so much. Good to see Chip enjoy a goal or two and good to see him play like he can and not like some dispirited player waiting for the season to finish. Good to see young JKH kick a big goal and to watch him learn the craft of the small forward.

They all put in today and they all deserve the praise they get from us and the coaching staff, they sure as hell won't get any from the media, it's all about why Mick and the Blues lost.

Have a good week boys the next test in only 8 days away and hopefully we will be all as happy then as we are now.

Replay is on at 2.30 tomorrow morning and I've got the foxtel box set to record, I'm going to pretend its Father's Day tomorrow and I'm going to watch it a couple of times.

• Like 3

I don't think so. I'll call it how I see it. I watched Bail jog after Blues backs in the first half. You might not get that sense on TV.

Actually it was a rhetorical question, and I was live at the G.

Great win Dees! Some notes about the game...

- Frawley is a threat up forward. Until Hogan comes in, I'd leave him there and leave Howe and Pedders in defence.

- N.Jones was incredible. He tore Murphy apart while delivering bullet like passes to his teammates. On the edge of being considered 'elite'

- Grimes played a captains game. Great return to form.

- Spencer was fantastic. Played all around Warnock.

- McDonald shut down Henderson after he looked threatening early.

- Great to see JKH play a full game. Fantastic run down of Cripps in the first quarter, not to mention his incredible snap around the shoulder in the third. Flash like.

- Dawes provided a much needed target up forward. Didn't have a huge impact statistic wise but his two goals from outside 50 showed that he'll have plenty to offer this year once he builds some match fitness.

Overall, a great win! I'll be there at the G next Sunday for sure.

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 2

Feeling so much love (some of the less obvious things as well):

1. Spencer channeling Strawbs aggression - we play so much better with a angry red head in the team.

2. So glad we didn't get MM.

3. Beating Carlton, on a par with the Hawks, Essendon, Collingwood.

4. Not dropping our heads after looking like a shambles in the first quarter, I continue to think Roos is a bargin, am always a little nervous by his comments, thinking yeah/nuh or BS and then we have a practical demonstration that the players really do believe in what he is selling.

5. Frawley not having a sore neck watching goals go over his head - the coach coming up with a fwd line solution.

6. Howe vs Walker - Walker sulks going back, Howe does it without cracking the sads, he is really improving with Roo's coaching (did I mention it was a bargin)

7. Jack Watts - not as good as his other game but still I like this free running version so much more.

8. Our off season recruiting.

9. Watching the players sing the song.

10. Today was Viney's break out game, we always knew he had heart but he belonged today.

• Like 2

After 23 games, my partner of three years who is Italian, grew up in France and Singapore, has finally seen her first win.

Yes, she has sat through 22 loses.

This morning she rushed to get ready at the last minute after initially deciding not to come.

"I feel bad for not coming and I'll be so angry if they win and I'm not there."

This was the first match she's been to where she wasn't on her phone during the match.

She is officially converted. Melbourne could lose every game and it wouldn't matter: she got to hear the song after the siren. She was very happy. As was I :)

She's already talking about next week's game!

• Like 14

Just watched the Roos presser and he mentioned that on the Thursday he and the other coaching staff were most likely going to play Dawes in the twos but he said Dawes was telling him and ringing him saying he wanted to play in the seniors.

He was desperate to play in the seniors Roos said which shows to me anyway how committed he is to the demons and it's not just $$$$$.

Good to hear about his determination to play in the seniors.

• Like 9

Loved todays effort, I loved Dawes being a big target that allowed frawley, dunn and even watts to have a bit more space and be effective targets. Loved the tackling and even saw a few shepherds, JKH put in a lovely little block on a carlton defender in the 3rd or last quarter to allow Dawes to take an uncontested mark, those are the sort of team things that is great to see. Almost all of our team stood up today and played well. a well deserved win.

• Like 4

Loved this quote from the Herald Sun match report:

Jack Viney has been solid so far in his career, but effectively announced himself as a star in the making with a tireless performance yesterday. He shone when the heat was at its most intense yesterday.

Couldn't agree more. As a poster said elsewhere, he's probably our only mid who can genuinely emerge from a pack through sheer brute force and then dispose of the ball cleanly. That's not a knock on Jones, or Tyson, who was down a bit day, but they tend to get caught when they try to force their way through a pack.

Jack's second and third quarters were sensational today.

• Like 5

Great win Dees! Some notes about the game...

- Frawley is a threat up forward. Until Hogan comes in, I'd leave him there and leave Howe and Pedders in defence.

- N.Jones was incredible. He tore Murphy apart while delivering bullet like passes to his teammates. On the edge of being considered 'elite'

- Grimes played a captains game. Great return to form.

- Spencer was fantastic. Played all around Warnock.

- McDonald shut down Henderson after he looked threatening early.

- Great to see JKH play a full game. Fantastic run down of Cripps in the first quarter, not to mention his incredible snap around the shoulder in the third. Flash like.

- Dawes provided a much needed target up forward. Didn't have a huge impact statistic wise but his two goals from outside 50 showed that he'll have plenty to offer this year once he builds some match fitness.

Overall, a great win! I'll be there at the G next Sunday for sure.

I watched Chip last week up forward and thought no this doesn't work, very pedestrian, just didn't look like he knew how to make the play. Watching him today was a revelation, he was leading to the ball and marking everything and generally looking like he knew where to run to and was presenting as a target. He seemed to get the early break on his defender with ease. is that poor defending or is Chip deceptably quick over the first 10 meters? Could he reinvent himself as a poor mans David Neitz?

Just watched the Roos presser and he mentioned that on the Thursday he and the other coaching staff were most likely going to play Dawes in the twos but he said Dawes was telling him and ringing him saying he wanted to play in the seniors.

He was desperate to play in the seniors Roos said which shows to me anyway how committed he is to the demons and it's not just $$$$$.

Good to hear about his determination to play in the seniors.

That's why you bring some guys straight back in, especially when you're struggling in that position. Good on Dawes for forcing the point.

• Like 2