• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

That was two years ago. 331 uncontested possessions. We averaged 191 last year - 2nd lowest in the league.

So it was, however none of our wins were convincing under him. Even in the nab cup.

Last night was the first time there were passages of slick, smart and structured football in a long time..

Edited by stevethemanjordan

You win a game like that in the real stuff and it will sell memberships, I don't think the needle will move significantly just yet.

Yeah it will they will probably sell close to a 1000 tickets next week.

And the not yet committed members to get excited and buy a membership.

Next Thursdays intranet club game should get a bit ordinance. Planning my diary already.

Yep, this new game plan will take a bit of time before it becomes 2nd nature. Practice makes perfect. However, the players must know how the modern game should be played just by watching other games. It shouldn't be too hard. Bringing in Vince and Cross could turn out to be inspired moves.

What was also pleasing was how we constantly looked like scoring even though we were without Dawes, Clark and Hogan. I know there's a cloud over Clark but we remain hopeful. Any 2 of those 3 are needed but if we go on last night, Roos looks like he's got a decent plan without having a host of tall forwards.

There might be a few there next Thursday, 'od' ^_^

• Like 1

Beat St Kilda in the first game and watch it take off.

All wins help after 2013.

Don't expect too much straight off. we still have a lot of kids under 22 Yrs expected to play like 26 Yr olds. the skilled ones still need to harden off, & get bigger.

I won't expect what happened in 1987 to happen to us this year.

Just watched the whole replay

If that is not the most moronic commentating team i'll go he

can't work out who was the worst dribbler out of dwayne and dermie

fair dinkum they just totally detract from the game. bunch of pompous wanchors

I think it was around half time when we kicked a goal to edge 1 point in front and Duh'wayne comes out with "well it looks like we've got a game on our hands."

Just plain stupid that all he can come up with is the usual commentary cliches when the game had been tight from the first bounce.

Definitely the most punchable head on tele. Easily surpasses Barrett and Tony Shaw.

So I'm watching the game at the pub up here in Queensland with a Richmond following friend. Cover band blaring in the background. Paul Kelly's 'Dumb Things' is playing as Trengove turns it over in the last quarter. Minutes later and the cover band is predictably having a crack at 'Holy Grail' as JKH ran into goal for his third. I found myself fist punching Brett Lee style in front of the bar to the bemused looks of mainly disinterested onlookers. Realized it was pre-season. Sat down. Slightly embarrassed. True story.

Ha, ha classic.

My experience was sitting by myself watching the box.

When JKH ran in for his goal I was roaring at the screen like I haven't done in a long time.

2 kids came bolting in from different directions to find out what the hell was going on.

"The Dees are gonna win and this little fellas a rippa." I told 'em pointing out JKH.

"Has footy season started?" was the puzzled reply.

• Like 1

Who else was there? Perhaps Garland?

Sure the field for best clubman would've been at an all time low last year but how does Dwayne Russell know of what 44 blokes were providing for their team mates. Garland was fantastic with relentless on field leadership and belief last year he was just pretty much on his pat malone. Despite his limited on field work a lot of players raved about David Rodan's effect on the young guys. Aaron Davey was a popular team mate as ever last year when he started putting in on the field. If Jones won the B+F and best clubman then that's still a significant achievement and doesn't deserved to be rubbish by Dwayne Russell who would never win best commentator or best team man at Fox Footy.

My point is commentators can laugh all they wont at inept play and comment when they see poor things on the field, but it's not part of their job to insult clubs or players.

The media's treatment of Jack Riewoldt is another case of showing how petty some of them are. They attack him for minor on field instances when he's frustrated. They prematurely attack him for getting replaced in the leadership group when he hasn't complained at all. They attack him when he then bans the media. Heck David King even attacked Richmond for dropping him from the leadership group at what he deemed an inopportune time.

• Like 1

Apart from a couple of poor kicks, I was impressed with Bail's performance as a small forward.

The other day I called him a lost clogger, but he looked like he might be best 22 to start the season. Quite a few times last night he presented well as a leading forward and his pace and endurance showed out. Should've kicked 3 goals after he missed a sitter of a set shot. Needs to work on this aspect if he wants to get a game.

He also got about 100 dream team points, which indicates a solid performance at the office.

I know i should know this, but are you allowed to grab the bloke who has the ball by the arm? When Dusty did his fend off on Chip last night I wondered why Frawley didn't grab him around his wrist with two hands and start swinging.

Well said. It seems the logical thing to do. You have the arm coming to your neck or chest and you just grab it and start swinging.

Sure the field for best clubman would've been at an all time low last year but how does Dwayne Russell know of what 44 blokes were providing for their team mates. Garland was fantastic with relentless on field leadership and belief last year he was just pretty much on his pat malone. Despite his limited on field work a lot of players raved about David Rodan's effect on the young guys. Aaron Davey was a popular team mate as ever last year when he started putting in on the field. If Jones won the B+F and best clubman then that's still a significant achievement and doesn't deserved to be rubbish by Dwayne Russell who would never win best commentator or best team man at Fox Footy.

My point is commentators can laugh all they wont at inept play and comment when they see poor things on the field, but it's not part of their job to insult clubs or players.

The media's treatment of Jack Riewoldt is another case of showing how petty some of them are. They attack him for minor on field instances when he's frustrated. They prematurely attack him for getting replaced in the leadership group when he hasn't complained at all. They attack him when he then bans the media. Heck David King even attacked Richmond for dropping him from the leadership group at what he deemed an inopportune time.

Good, I hope they keep doing it. At least they are off our backs for a change.

Watch them turn on Hardwick if the Tiges don't make the finals this year.

Well said. It seems the logical thing to do. You have the arm coming to your neck or chest and you just grab it and start swinging.

Surely if you were to grab an arm coming at your face, the guy doing the fending should share the risk: chicken winging is what Judd did to a guy stationary on the ground.

Still, knowing the MRP, the first "test case" would be brought against one of ours.

I haven't played enough, and certainly not recently, but wouldn't going under the fending arm, and grabbing the exposed chest / waist be a better option?

Edited by monoccular

Just watched the full replay again. It was a fun game to watch. Obviously JKH has a lot of potential and to those who have been saying so in all the training reports you are spot on. Our set up in the back half was brilliant. A lot of talk centres around Hogan and now JKH but I believe out best and most reliable recruit will be Grimes back in defence. He plugs holes and will sit under packs but can also rebound well. His leadership faded when he played in the midfield last year. In the back line he stands up and oozes leadership.

WORST ON GROUND by far was David King. Fair dinkum david you need to relax. He talked us up saying we have our identity back and also said Richmond should have won but they lack leaders. So after 5 years of absolute rubbish and a decade or longer of nothing 1 pre season win has us claiming our identity back. I wasn't around in the glory days of melbourne but if we had our identity back it would mean we are the most dominating team in the league year after year.

• Like 3

Best thing really is to go in low 'Redleg', take him low down around the hips or upper leg. If he tries to fend off a low tackle he will take you high that way but more often than not you will stick the tackle. Our guys were too upright when tackling and an easy target for a fend off.

I haven't had a chance to watch the match yet but from those who did, which four players would you drop for the Geelong game to make way for the four guys we will be welcoming back?

Was talking in general, not necessarily for Cats game. However, Roos could be looking to share around the pre season matches in readiness for H&A season. Maybe it's not so much dropping, but giving others a run. Roos probably has a plan of who he wants to get game time into.

On a side note, this sub system for NAB Cup got me a little confused (I know, I'm easily confused) as to who was on and who was off. A few guys I thought were having quiet quarters or halves only to realise afterwards that they were subbed off but came on again after half time. Doesn't help to have commentators that have nfi what's going on and give us very little useful info.

I'd have to see it again, but I had he impression Frawley was off balance and wasn't affected much by Martin's hand which barely reached him.

Apart from a couple of poor kicks, I was impressed with Bail's performance as a small forward.

The other day I called him a lost clogger, but he looked like he might be best 22 to start the season. Quite a few times last night he presented well as a leading forward and his pace and endurance showed out. Should've kicked 3 goals after he missed a sitter of a set shot. Needs to work on this aspect if he wants to get a game.

He also got about 100 dream team points, which indicates a solid performance at the office.

Missed 2 pretty simple goals really. Could've had 4. But I'd take 2 set shot misses if it means 2 incredibly well crumbed goals by attacking the ball at pace. His leading was phenomenal. He pretty much played a similar game to JKH but because he's an experienced guy not a youngster he doesn't get the huge recognition. But being concussion free now he is like a new recruit.

He's another ready to lift off from the Bailey years as if the Neeld years never happened. The concern is how far you can get with that poor field kicking that results in an occasional momentum shifting turnover and the old 12 point swing. But I think Bail will be like Cross in that Roos will carry a few who occasionally kick poorly if it means the work rate and effort are set high.

Just hoping more than anything Bail doesn't get another bad head knock.

• Like 3

Just watched the whole replay

If that is not the most moronic commentating team i'll go he

can't work out who was the worst dribbler out of dwayne and dermie

fair dinkum they just totally detract from the game. bunch of pompous wanchors

Take it easy.....Its Nab Cup..... Still Feb....no points!

The guys actually praised the players & were rapt for the supporters to see light at the end of the tunnel from the train wreck we have witnessed over the last 5-6yrs!

Dermie just plays the fool....but a very smart football brain

• Like 3

They also had 445 disposals to the Tigers' 262. Wow

​Can someone tell me why Spencer didnt get a 9 pointer when Richmond did an interchange infringement? I thought u used to get them with penalties like that because the free came form outside the 50

my understanding is that the ump offers the player the chance to kick from 50m for a 9 pointer or from the full 50m if they don't think they will make the distance. Spencil made the correct choice. I guess if the 50m penalty was just inside the arc you might take the risk.

Trengove had the same option earlier in the match and passed too.

Many years ago my mum (a Footscray supporter, and not someone that takes things overly seriously) wrote a letter to Dwayne because she felt that he wasn't just biased in his views, but he was also badly informed when it came to talking about Footscray and their players.

What came back was a long, patronising reply that not only showed him to be an arrogant [censored] but a thin skinned one. The gist of it was that he was a professional and therefore knew all that there was to know about the game, and she was just a supporter who didn't really understand either the media or football. And there was a real undercurrent of 'you're just a woman so what would you know' to it also.

Now mum is a life long friend of Kevin Sheedy, Norm Smith came to her wedding, her brother in law just happened to play in 3 flags for us, plus she goes to every Footscray game she can - by herself usually because dad won't go to any game not at the 'G. But this Dwayne character talked to her as if she was a child interrupting the adults. She wasn't upset by this though - that ain't her style. She laughed at the reply and happily shows it to anyone that might make a comment that Dwayne is a good commentator. I'm yet to see such a person not change their mind after reading the self absorbed and condescending drivel he wrote her.

This story doesn't surprise me in the slightest.