• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

Traditionally clubs can take a couple of diffferent approaches into the NAB series, what will be Melbourne's? Will we blood some young players or use the comp to get our senior list better aquainted with Roos game plan or maybe a bit of both? From memory I dont think the Swans ever put a full side on the ground for the NAB Challenge.

I think there is an arguement to play a good side through this comp to get a few wins on the board provided they are ready. I think a significant issue for Roos to overcome is the mental state of the playing group and the best way to improve self belief is to win.

What approach do people think we should take and what do you think the team for this game will be?

My guess is that they will play some young players but I think while not taking any risks with players we will put our best foot forward. With the injuries we have I would guess the following line up

Terlich Frawley Dunn

Grimes MacDonald Pedersen

Trengove Cross Tyson

Watts Fitzpatick Howe

Hogan Dawes Kennedy Harris

Spencer N Jones Vince

Toumpas Strauss Michie Evans MacKenzie M Jones

• Like 1

p-aul roos uses these games as practise and nothing else

cut out the mistakes

have a look at a few[which he did all last year]

box them into possies and

get ready for round 1

nothing else

oh,im sure if interviewed he will say all the right TV things and blah blah blah

but hes never cared about nab cup and smartly never will

I think it is worth picking the best squad available (as long as they are fit and ready). Not so we win games and improve membership etc but so that the standard of earning games is established. Better teams than us can gift games to players during the preseason, but I think for this first game especially we should play the best side possible. Later on players may need to be "managed" but for this one, I don't want anything other than the players who are deemed by the selection panel to have earned their spot.

Inclusion of three mids in Cross, Tyson and Vince. Effectively a new forward line if they can all get on the field. I know what Roos has done in previous years but we aren't the Swans. Last year our list was mentally shot, devoid of any confidence. Players need to get used to each other, especially with three power forwards. Looking forward to seeing Tyson and JKH, heard a lot and read the training reports so can't wait.

• Like 3

The Richmond game may be the most winnable preseason game. Not site of that will have any bearing on team selected.

I think the "team needs to gel" approach is the best one. The practice matches getting the mids working together. Hot round 1 running. I don't care of we fade away in rounds 16-22, our mindset will be made in the first 6 weeks.

• Like 2

I remember when sides won the pre-season comp from the late 80's up until about 10 years ago. The "premier" usually ended up playing finals at the end of the season proper. No so now necessarily.

That said, and despite Roos' previous position on this comp, I agree that even wins in this mickey mouse competition can only help the confidence in the group. But more importantly, it would be good for the sponsors and would be just the boost we need as we strive to get 40K members in 2014. Perhaps that's the most important thing to keep in mind as we approach the NAB competition this year.

• Like 1

Anyone recall the 2012 NAB cup series... We won 2 out of 3 games. Beating Brisbane in the Round robin & losing to the suns.

Then following up with a win over Collingwood by 9 points the week after..

Remember the result of our first home and away game.. Loss to Brisbane by 41 points.

I don't think pre-season wins generate a world of confidence.

Terlich Frawley Dunn

Trengove Cross Tyson

Watts Fitzpatick Howe

Spencer N Jones Vince

I understand that you have not named Garland because of his recent operation, but why play Pederson (instead of Strauss or Clisby) in the back half when he has been training with the forwards? I also cannot see why we wouldn't name Salem on the interchange in the NAB Cup to at least see where his development is at!

• Like 2

Anyone recall the 2012 NAB cup series... We won 2 out of 3 games. Beating Brisbane in the Round robin & losing to the suns.

Then following up with a win over Collingwood by 9 points the week after..

Remember the result of our first home and away game.. Loss to Brisbane by 41 points.

I don't think pre-season wins generate a world of confidence.

they are absolute rubbish

generally pick your best mids and no forward line game 1

best backline forward line and rotated mids game2

mixture of and lots of drotation and mixes game 3

jobs done

If what was posted last week is correct and our Intraclub hit out is the week after, I think that highlights the approach we will take. Give fit players a taste, no risk approach and we really start looking at building our round one side from the week after. If all goes to plan the week after should see a majority of our list fully fit and we build our best 22 from there with hopefully the 25 players that are in consideration for round 1 all playing against Hawthorn.

I still am haunted by last year's practice matches -

The port match gave me hope and made me think that we could have turned a corner, for this to be shattered a couple of weeks later by the saints....then the season proper OMG.

I think I'll go in hibernation until NAB cup is over and maintain this 2014 hope.

Edited by Wormburner

I think Roos (given his way) would try and play the best available side he can put on the park.... we get an extended bench, so I suspect some younger or fringe players will get a go, but the intent is on getting the methods and style of play that Roos wants to see out on the park carried out by the players. Score is normally irrelevant. Roos gets the first chance to see how the players respond to the 'non-negotiables'.

This team needs as much time as it can get to gel as a playing 22. I don't think we will be experimenting all that much.

That being said, Peter Jackson and some of the executive might actually want Roos to try and win a couple of games to assist with the off-field side of things... membership etc.

• Like 2

Last time I checked our best was a long way off winning much at all so the thought of "choosing" to go for wins or not is in my mind laughable even with a changed line up

Let's see our guys actually show something vaguely resembling AFL standard football before we contemplate pre season strategy of resting players etc

• Like 2

[

Terlich Frawley Dunn

Trengove Cross Tyson

Watts Fitzpatick Howe

Spencer N Jones Vince

I know it is all personal opinion etc BD

But Pedersen!

I can think of five - ten I would play before him.

He is a Casey player on his good days.

I am serious, why him?

In the preseason comp I'm not so interested in wins as the way they go about it. Last year the only game in preseason that looked any good to me was the one in Renmark and it was mainly our 2nd stringers. The other games, despite some wins didn't look so good in the way they went about it and the players coming through.

Of course in the season proper it's all about wins, anything to the contrary is just spin.

In the preseason comp I'm not so interested in wins as the way they go about it. Last year the only game in preseason that looked any good to me was the one in Renmark and it was mainly our 2nd stringers. The other games, despite some wins didn't look so good in the way they went about it and the players coming through.

Of course in the season proper it's all about wins, anything to the contrary is just spin.

Not sure if I am mixed up rjay.

But the Renmark game was one of only threewins for the entire 2013 year.

I am confused.

Clisby Frawley Dunn

Grimes MacDonald Strauss

Watts Cross Vince

Trengove Howe Blease

Tapscott Pedersen Kennedy Harris

Spencer N Jones Tyson

Toumpas Michie Evans MacKenzie M Jones Jamar

Rested/Unavailable: Clark, Dawes, Fitzy, Viney, Hogan, Terlich, Gawn, Kent, Riley, Garland

Not picked: Salem, Hunt, Harmes, King, Georgiou, Byrnes, Bail, Nicholson, Barry, Jetta

I think people are forgetting that this game is taking place on the 14th of Feb and we don't start playing for over a month. Therefore I've picked the guys who are fit but I see no point risking guys who haven't had a solid build up when it's over a month til round 1 and there are 2 more practice matches plus possibly an intraclub and/or VFL practice matches to come.

This team lets us practice our stoppage play, our transition with the ball and our running. If we don't get the finish on the score board due to the forward line being down on talent that's not a particular problem. Most goals in preseason come from unheralded players getting in the right spots on weak opponents anyway - remember Sellar kicking 5 I think last year in Renmark.

Pedersen is the only fully fit (tall) forward. He'll play as I cant see Dawes, Hogan, Clark or Fitz playing.

They might give a half each to Hogan and Dawes (maybe Fitz). It's still nearly two weeks off so things may change.

God deliver us RM

Richmond will win by 20 goals

Not sure if I am mixed up rjay.

But the Renmark game was one of only threewins for the entire 2013 year.

I am confused.

Renmark was the NAB challenge game against Port. There was a one camera coverage on their site from memory. Both sides had a lot of their younger players in and we looked better in that game than probably anything else for the season.

Renmark was the NAB challenge game against Port. There was a one camera coverage on their site from memory. Both sides had a lot of their younger players in and we looked better in that game than probably anything else for the season.

I understand that rjay

I thought you were suggesting we won other NAB / practice matches.

I understand that rjay

I thought you were suggesting we won other NAB / practice matches.

Sorry, don't really remember when we have won NAB games but only over the last few years that one looked ok. Win or lose I think we've looked pretty average really.