The rise of the Toump

Grimseyisgod

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. I'll take that bet. What shall we wager and how will we determine a winner?

I'm serious I'll bet you the toump will become an a grader. Do you want to put your money where your mouth is? Perhaps, given the brownlow is the mid fielder's medal a way of defining an a grade mid would be 2 years with 10 or more votes. You said never but perhaps let's limit it to the next 6 years ie he gets more than 10 votes in 2 of the next 6 years. If you agree with that metric we just need to agree on a stake

Good heavens the jury is still evaluating Jimmy. Reasonable start, showed some signs and some areas that needed work. We need more information. Remember this kid was thrown into probably the worst performing, least confident side ever put onto an AFL field. No leadership, no protection, stuff all game plan. He is raw and recovering from surgery with high expectations. Let us see how he goes next year. I believe with some leadership he will surprise.

That said I am on record as wanting Wines just in case someone brings it up. I think that would have worked but it is in the past let us get Jimmy up and firing.

Let's try and show some class when we describe each other on here, hey?

As for Toumpas - posters are allowed to not rate him, and not think he is destined to live up to Pick 4.

He had an up and down year and I feel for the kid because he was so anxious about his own performance after that first game - he talked about letting people down.

The only person being let down is Toumpas, and every kid we have thrown in too early and asked too much of.

And that is on the previous FD (and the one before that) and the leaders at the club who have not, to this point, pulled their weight.

Don't look at Toumpas for our resurgence in 2014 - look at the experienced players and leaders at the club who no longer have the shelter of a compromised coach to hide behind.

As for Toumpas - posters are allowed to not rate him, and not think he is destined to live up to Pick 4.

He had an up and down year and I feel for the kid because he was so anxious about his own performance after that first game - he talked about letting people down.

The only person being let down is Toumpas, and every kid we have thrown in too early and asked too much of.

And that is on the previous FD (and the one before that) and the leaders at the club who have not, to this point, pulled their weight.

Don't look at Toumpas for our resurgence in 2014 - look at the experienced players and leaders at the club who no longer have the shelter of a compromised coach to hide behind.

My experience rpfc is you cannot achieve class by asking people who do not have any to show some.

IMO it is a learned thing from an early age.

you either have it or you don't by the time you get to the average demonlander age.

Good luck but don't expect much change.

Simply not hard enough at it. Won't make the grade hoped of

Between Morton and a B grader

Haha well done on winning the 'worst post ever' Title..

While we are at it you can have tool of the year aswell.. FMD

Perhaps we've assumed wrongly. It's a given that posters seem to think Roost It doesn't know what he's talking about, so it's equally possible on that logic that he thinks Morton is the best AFL player the world has ever seen. If that's the case, a player falling somewhere between the best AFL player the world has ever seen and a B-grader will turn out to be a darn good player. Perhaps Roost It should be given the credit he deserves for his post.

Nutbean, there is a huge difference between Toumpas and the two you mention, Toumpas wants to be elite and is prepared to what ever it takes to give him the best opportunity to get to that level, the other two expected it would just happen.

No difference at all.

The first two were potential unfulfilled and Toumpas is unfulfilled potential.

I have seen far too many draftees that "will be jets"...that "will be elite" that have fallen way short of the mark.

My confidence is more upbeat than ever. I still maintain that whilst some of our drafting has been questionable we have failed miserably to develop these youngsters. I am feeling confident that this new coaching and development panel will produce with our draftees.

If Roos was coaching last year it would be unlikely that we would have seen Toump given his desire to make 1st year players earn their spot etc

So we have seen a bit of Toump and it is totally unfair to judge him on one year's performance. He's 19yo.

If Roos was coaching last year it would be unlikely that we would have seen Toump given his desire to make 1st year players earn their spot etc

So we have seen a bit of Toump and it is totally unfair to judge him on one year's performance. He's 19yo.

Like.

Roos seems to think that the 1st year players are there to learn and that any games played will be a bonus.

Some on here think that Toumpas should have been a star in his 1st year.

Give the kid some time.

I'm a big believer in you get out what you put in. You look at so many of the elite players in the sport and their training standard is second to none..... Intensity, quality, desire.

It's only his second year, really his first afl preseason but when you watch jimmy train he is the equal of anyone on our track in terms of those measures. So combine a great work ethic with natural talent and now the possibility of great coaching/guidance, and toump has the foundation to be anything.... I'm more confident of him than all pretty much all other youth on our list.

I'm a big believer in you get out what you put in. You look at so many of the elite players in the sport and their training standard is second to none..... Intensity, quality, desire.

It's only his second year, really his first afl preseason but when you watch jimmy train he is the equal of anyone on our track in terms of those measures. So combine a great work ethic with natural talent and now the possibility of great coaching/guidance, and toump has the foundation to be anything.... I'm more confident of him than all pretty much all other youth on our list.

:lol:How many years do we have to see this type of debate before we learn .Let's just Wait and reserve our opinion till mid season , then Both Ollie and Toumps can be judged on ther performance not on how they compare because the only way you could properly compare is to have them one on one and that would even be influenced by where they were playing on the ground .

I hope for both the Players sakes that they will give their best and deserve the accolades that may come there way .

But as they say the Proof of the pudding is in the eating and seeing as it is Christmas I can only hope we all get to plenty of it to eat :)

It is almost impossible to assess Jimmy Toumpas on last season given that he had a double hip operation before the beginning of his first season. He looked pretty good to me the other day and I think that he will be one of many that shine this year. I would look for Blease, Evans, Hogan, Viney, Kent, Michie, Riley, Tyson and Dunn to be players that rip it up this year. I think from what I have seen so far that Harmes, Salem, JKH and Barry may be players that do really well in 2015. However, who knows it is all really just conjecture. We will find out more during the Intra Club Matches in the New Year.

The AFL site asked club greats to select the player from their old club who they thought might kick on in 2014. Garry Lyon went for Jimmy T.

Great expectations: part two

I think Jimmy Toumpas is a player who was thrown in to the deep end last season. He's fit, he runs hard and I believe he's having a great pre-season. At times he got a little bit caught up in it last year, with not much support to a young player. You put a guy with that ability in to a Hawthorn side or a Sydney side, then we'd be sitting here saying, gee, he's going to be exciting. I think Jimmy's got a really big upside. So I'm looking forward to watching him play.

I agree about the upside but while I understand what he's saying about Jimmy being a better player if he was at Hawthorn or Sydney, the comment still makes me feel uncomfortable. I know our performances have been inferior over recent years but if we start thinking that way, it becomes self-fulfilling. With a new year about to begin I think we should be accentuating the positive.

The AFL site asked club greats to select the player from their old club who they thought might kick on in 2014. Garry Lyon went for Jimmy T.

I agree about the upside but while I understand what he's saying about Jimmy being a better player if he was at Hawthorn or Sydney, the comment still makes me feel uncomfortable. I know our performances have been inferior over recent years but if we start thinking that way, it becomes self-fulfilling. With a new year about to begin I think we should be accentuating the positive.

We're a rock bottom. And the statement is true. But flip it over and ask yourself how much us all talking up kids as the next big thing helped us make the finals over the last couple of years? This stuff is deserved until we start winning games. Until then we just have to cop it.

I rate Gary as a player but don't think he knows much about the game, despite his efforts of trying to convince us otherwise. A long way of saying I wouldn't take his word on Toumpas.

but, I do think Toumpas has the class, character and the work rate to make it. Let's wait and see.

We're a rock bottom. And the statement is true. But flip it over and ask yourself how much us all talking up kids as the next big thing helped us make the finals over the last couple of years? This stuff is deserved until we start winning games. Until then we just have to cop it.

Why should we have to cop anything?

That's a sign of inferiority.

We're past that, surely?