WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BERNIE VINCE

Ted Lasso

Ron ..I reckon yours are amongst the more legitimate postings but your love for Sylvia is blindly delusional.

Probably ranks amongst the greatest underachievers ever to wear red and blue and I cant quite frankly give a shlt what comes of his migration.Just glad hes gone

Sylvia's a good player who would still be in our best 22.

He left. Without landing Vince in return, I'd be mighty unhappy.

That we landed Vince in return however makes me mighty happy. I'm really looking forward to seeing him running with the ball out of the centre square assessing whether to kick it to Clark, Hogan, Dawes or Howe. Or whether to take it himself and nail it from 55 metres out.

On balance, a win for us.

The bashing of Sylvia here is pathetic though. He's given us a lot more over the years than several other of our high draft picks.

In 10 years did Col ever play 2 great games in succession?

That is just silly saying it has nothing to do with preseasons, according to you then as long as the players have the desire, there is no need to do a pre season. I don't know which bit you don't get, every MFC supporter was frustrated with Col Sylvia, but it is tempered with the fact that the poor [censored] couldn't ever get a clear run at it, and that was part of the frustration, if you had attended pre season training last year on a regular basis, you would have seen Col lacking in desire, on every extra lap he did around the oval, and he was another one who knew exactly what supporters thought of him, the best thing he did for everybody was leave, personally I have no ill will towards him I hope he has a good year, injury permitting of course

Saty, I want to try and be civil with you. You've put words in my mouth.

I said that possessing a certain mindset has nothing to do with pre-seasons..

It's really so simpe. Sylvia has never had the right frame of mind or understanding of what it takes to get the best out of yourself. Never. He's been far too distracted about the many other things that come with being an AFL footballer. Whilst there may be slight contributing factors as to why he didn't reach his full potential, it is simply absurd to blame it solely on one of the following:

- Injury prone

- lack of leadership and guidance at the club

- poor team performance

- bad coaching

- other*

If Sylvia possessed a similar character and approach to the game as Nathan Jones or even our first year players Jack Viney and Jimmy Toumpas, we'd have seen a great deal more output from Col, and that my good friend, is a fact.

You are saying he didn't get a 'good run at it' which is why he didn't reach his full potential. I am saying whilst that didn't help, it's absolutely got nothing to do with having the right character and personality to drive yourself to be the best.

You see?

- other*

If Sylvia possessed a similar character and approach to the game as Nathan Jones or even our first year players Jack Viney and Jimmy Toumpas, we'd have seen a great deal more output from Col, and that my good friend, is a fact.

You are saying he didn't get a 'good run at it' which is why he didn't reach his full potential. I am saying whilst that didn't help, it's absolutely got nothing to do with having the right character and personality to drive yourself to be the best.

You see?

'steve', I think it is other. He's just not that good, and whilst he would have and could have been better with the right mindset I don't think he would have been much better.

It's really so simpe. Sylvia has never had the right frame of mind or understanding of what it takes to get the best out of yourself. Never. He's been far too distracted about the many other things that come with being an AFL footballer. Whilst there may be slight contributing factors as to why he didn't reach his full potential, it is simply absurd to blame it solely on one of the following:

- Injury prone

- poor team performance

- bad coaching

- other*

You see?

So you are saying that McKenzie, who has great character and personality and drives himself to be his best would get a game before Sylvia who has greater skills and talent ????.....I know you don't like the guy but I know who I would have in the side first....

That's what James wanted..."get me the good stuff...we are playing carlton...."

"LIKE"

In 10 years did Col ever play 2 great games in succession?

did the team ever play 2 great games in succession?

Early in Col's patchy career the team played some pretty good footy: wasn't MFC the best performed Victorian team in 2006?

'steve', I think it is other. He's just not that good, and whilst he would have and could have been better with the right mindset I don't think he would have been much better.

Fair enough. It's your opinion. I gotta say I disagree though.

He has so many great attributes. Imagine if he had an attitude like Jones? Just wanted to work his arse off to get the best out of himself?

You'd see a completely different player. Happens all the time.

So you are saying that McKenzie, who has great character and personality and drives himself to be his best would get a game before Sylvia who has greater skills and talent ????.....I know you don't like the guy but I know who I would have in the side first....

McKenzie is the exact opposite to Sylvia, I don't know why we're comparing them. ?

The reason he made AFL is because of how hard he's driven himself. But he wasn't gifted with many attributes for AFL and he'll never improve much. Jones is different again.

The key is to obviously draft players with both sides. Character and footy related skills and attributes.

That's when you unearth the stars.

Fair enough. It's your opinion. I gotta say I disagree though.

He has so many great attributes. Imagine if he had an attitude like Jones? Just wanted to work his arse off to get the best out of himself?

You'd see a completely different player. Happens all the time.

It's the ones he doesn't have that hold him back though. He lacks awareness and vision, his reaction time is slow and he doesn't have natural footy smarts. The lack of these attributes have been obvious from when he started at the club and should have been to recruiters. To much issue is taken with his attitude which whilst it's not great similar attitude problems have not stopped many other players current and past.

I think you are misunderstanding here. Sylvia had all the tools to become an elite player that is the point. He never realised it, Yes injuries did not help but the fact that he never pushed himself as far and as hard as someone like Nathan Jones does is easy to see. Look at someone like Jack Stevens from St Kilda. If he didn't work his butt off he would not be anywhere near as good as he is now, and yet Sylvia has truckloads more talent than he does. The difference is work rate and desire.

I don't think comparing col Sylvia to nat jones is fair. He seems to be doing well despite his environment.

Most players whom have left us after bailey especially, have struggled with fitness at other clubs. Rivers hasn't but plays in a position that doesn't need elite fitness and was never a good trainer at Melbourne.

And to be honest we got about as much out of col as we have out of watts grimes and Trengove IMO. Or are we still waiting for them as well?

Meanwhile Bernie Vince I'm really pleased we got him he was probably the only player player I liked at the Crows.

I don't care if he's a bit of a lad, he can play good football and he generally does.

Sylvia's gone so what he does next year shouldn't concern us; he was never going to do it with us and I don't think Roos tried that hard to keep him; interesting how easy Freo gave us Michie wasn't it?

Meanwhile Bernie Vince I'm really pleased we got him he was probably the only player player I liked at the Crows.

I don't care if he's a bit of a lad, he can play good football and he generally does.

Sylvia's gone so what he does next year shouldn't concern us; he was never going to do it with us and I don't think Roos tried that hard to keep him; interesting how easy Freo gave us Michie wasn't it?

Agree button

Really, Sylvia's success/failure is perfunctory to my interest levels.

If Jesse Hogan monsters the AFL, watch Freo hover with a war chest, especially with an ageing Pavlich.

Now, that's paranoia!

We should be in a position to match anything they offer.

i hope so.

Rethinking that, we can match anything financially. As we know if Roos wasn't coach, Watts would have walked. I think we are all out of excuses as a club. Trengove is no longer captain, the bad eggs are gone, new coaching panel with proven success ect ect. We know Roos won't be around for ever, time for the players to stand up. Our best 22 uninjured on paper should be able to match it with at least 12 teams. As we know some players chase money, some success. Hopefully we can offer Hogan both.

- Injury prone

- poor team performance

- bad coaching

- other*

You see?

Good post. I always liked col as a player but c'mon on his commitment has never been AFL standard. Sure he had lots of injuries and niggles and many interrupted pre seasons but all players do. The really good players show the same commitment to their rehab and to pushing thorough the pain barrier as they do to their game day. I suspect Col has never had that commitment.

Rethinking that, we can match anything financially. As we know if Roos wasn't coach, Watts would have walked. I think we are all out of excuses as a club. Trengove is no longer captain, the bad eggs are gone, new coaching panel with proven success ect ect. We know Roos won't be around for ever, time for the players to stand up. Our best 22 uninjured on paper should be able to match it with at least 12 teams. As we know some players chase money, some success. Hopefully we can offer Hogan both.

What price the 'home' factor?

Hopefully, there's a dollar amount, ala Mitch.....

What price the 'home' factor?

Hopefully, there's a dollar amount, ala Mitch.....

During Roo's first press conference he spoke if putting the building blocks in place.

Last year we had Jack Viney, a first year player addressing his teammates after a game saying "this is not bloody good enough".

Freo offered Harry Taylor a truck load of cash, he stayed at Geelong for less(rumoured, I have no sources ). Because of past success and the chance of future success. If Hogan becomes what we all hope he will become our marquee player and every club can afford at least one. We need to offer more than that other wise if it's not Hogan it's Chip or Salem in a few years.