The Priority Pick is dead! Long live the financial assistance package!

deanox

When we continually pick duds like Morton,Gysberts,Cook,Strauss we don't deserve the PP.

The quicker we get off the Methodone and stand on our own 2 feet the better.

Prendergast picked Morton because he won the Larke Medal and had that to fall back on when Dangerfield was still available and had an amazing year at the Falcons.

When your recruiting fails,you can't stick your hand out for a PP!!!

What about when you only win 6 games in 2 years?

What about when average loosing margins getting as high as 80 points?

What about when other clubs say the AFL should help us as its a drain on the league?

Edited by PJ_12345

I'm not sure that is correct, i would read it as only 1.45 million, with an extra 500k available.. (i think the article goes on to explain how the 1.45 million is broken down, rather than saying we get 2 packages of 1.45 million). i could be wrong :)

I think the rest of the money was already advanced previously and wasn't part of the package ratified today.

Irrespective, it shows how disturbing the situation is when we are beholden to the AFL and have an AFL appointee running the club.

We need to have our own people running the show in order to become truly independent.

I suppose first things first and Roos has to get us competing on the field with the rest.

• Like 1

Article on the MFC website now saying "Whilst media reports of the funding amount have been considerably higher, the amount has met the club’s expectations..."

It's 1.45 in total and we have to fundraise $450k ourselves to get the .45 of the total

(and we can borrow an additional 500k)

Wonder if we've paid the tanking fine?

Edited by number 5 is alive

If any other club ever submits an application for a priority pick again, I hope like hell that we are the first ones knocking on the door expressing our disgust.

This decision is only going to fly if no other club ever receives a PP again, not even after 7 years of appaling on field performances.

A big F U to the 17 other clubs who kicked up a fuss, particularly those who gets all the benefits in the world from the AFL already (looking at you GWS, Sydney, Collingwood etc)

• Like 5

When we continually pick duds like Morton,Gysberts,Cook,Strauss we don't deserve the PP.

Prendergast picked Morton because he won the Larke Medal and had that to fall back on when Dangerfield was still available and had an amazing year at the Falcons.

How can you keep a straight face while typing this, surely if a club got all its recruiting and development right it would never be in the position to need a PP.

When your recruiting fails is exactly the time to stick your hand out.

I don't care that we didn't get it but to say we didn't deserve it is complete stupidity, and probably should see the possibility of anyone getting one in the future as being zero or less.

• Like 6

So in effect it was the money or the box and we got the money.

I suppose the extra $1m or so to keep was our preferred option in place of a priority draft pick which might have come at 10 or 19.

Nevertheless, the decision is every bit as ridiculous as the tanking outcome. I wonder if Mark Evans was able to keep a straight face when he made the announcement?

If in 2 years time GWS win 3 games for the year do they deserve a priority pick or does the potential age and development of their list come into consideration. I think its a fair and reasonable argument there is a difference between a young inexperienced list who win 2-4 games and an aging list who bottom out.

I would have loved the leverage a pick would have given us but actually prefer we have to take the hard road this time.

well the milk's spilt

and we move on

nothing more to see here really.

Bring on the silly season :)

If any other club ever submits an application for a priority pick again, I hope like hell that we are the first ones knocking on the door expressing our disgust.

This decision is only going to fly if no other club ever receives a PP again, not even after 7 years of appaling on field performances.

A big F U to the 17 other clubs who kicked up a fuss, particularly those who gets all the benefits in the world from the AFL already (looking at you GWS, Sydney, Collingwood etc)

Also looking at Hawthorn (3 PPs in '01/'04/'05), St Kilda (3 PPs in '02/'01), WCE (4 PPs in '01/'08/'10), Carlton (3 PPs '03/'05/'07),

Better be a long time till they ask for a PP... *shakes fist* particularly you Carlton

we should just hand our license back. let them sort that mess out

The team would be moved to Tassie in 24 hours dc.

Look how quickly Fitzroy end up north of the Tweed.

That would be classic bullet in the toes.

Craig Cameron recruited Morton not Prendergast and Dangerfield didn't have an amazing year with the Falcons pre-draft, his kicking was highly questionable for example. His season (2008) with the Falcons whilst on Adelaide's list was particularly good without being considered amazing either.

Most of the recruiting and decision-making done by other clubs before getting priority picks hasn't been very good either.

The most salient argument for us not getting the pick is that we effectively inhibited our own performance this year by recruiting a stashaway player in Hogan. Had we used pick 3 and 13 on players able to play in 2013 then we may have won three or four more games. They are correct in saying that our list is better prepared than our results indicate.

• Like 4

Could someone please explain to me the grounds upon which a club is deemed to be eligible to receive a priority pick.

I would have thought our lack of competiveness, our two wins and an appalling percentage might have placed us in pp mode. And this doesn't take into account previous poor years.

I suppose the AFL will now allocate us a fair show of 'big TV time' matches - Friday and Saturday nights', a fair number of interstate matches, and a break from having to play at Geelong.

Collingwood, Hawthorn, etc will obviously get many more Sunday evening matches, travel more times to WA and play at Geelong. (They have played there only 1 or 2 times in the past 15 years).

And pigs will fly!

I am sick of of all this whining victim and begging bowl stuff. We got some cash in the bank, been handed Roo's on a silver platter and now time to roll the sleeves up and do some hard work. Most of the ugliness is now in the past. i don't really care about having the honour of nurturing through another potential future prima donna. Get back the respect and play some decent footy is what we need ASAP.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 6

I am sick of of all this victim and begging bowl stuff. We got some cash in the bank, been handed Roo's on a silver platter and now time to roll the sleeves up and do some hard work. Most of the ugliness is now in the past. i don't really care about having the honour of nurturing through another potential future prima donna. Get back the respect and play some decent footy is what we need ASAP.

couldn't agree more

nobody respects us because we appear to prefer to be handed things rather than work for them - and even when we are handed them we stuff it up

we need to change the complexion of the club big time

• Like 1

No priority pick for Demons I would love to have been a fly on the wall, and would also love to know what happens if we are just as bad next year. Is on field potential enough to prevent us getting one then?

We'll never know Deanox, until the AFL in their 'make it up as we go along' fashion tell us.

Thank god that's over.

More than comfortable with the decision, and would be even happier if this put an end to priority picks.

PJ's reaction was much the same as mine: “The club believed its form in recent years warranted a submission for a priority pick. The role of the AFL commission is to make independent judgements on such requests and we accept their decision today (Monday) not to grant the club a Priority Pick and move on".

Not the end of the world, or anything remotely close to.

Plenty of reasons to feel positive about the future. I have total faith in Jackson and Roos to steer the club back from the brink.

• Like 3

Never thought we would get one. If we did I think it would have gone straight on the trade table anyway.

With an experienced and determined coaching staff we will see significant improvement next year. But it must come from within the club and not a magic PP bullet. The only PP that I have noticed that made a massive difference was when we traded for White.

• Like 1