Just when you thought we may have been implementing cultural change

Gorgoroth

I've always had the opinion that it just doesn't mean enough for our players. I'm sure there's a group that do care & want to get the best out of them but you need everyone buying in to be successful. I don't know anymore, It's bloody annoying hearing this sort of crap come out.

Haven't there been other stories on this forum about the Storm's attitude towards our boys? And those stories were far from complimentary either.

Problem is, preception is reality.

To put it another way, if you were undergoing performance counselling at work, would you be spending your time at work talking to your mates, cracking jokes and taking long lunches? No way, you would be putting your head down to get back up to scratch and out of the crosshairs.

When you are 0-3 and losing by average of 100+ points, anything other than total dedication to make things right is perceived to be tomfoolery and not giving a [censored]. It might not be the case but I'm not sure our players are in a position to argue the case.

• Like 13

Cultural, smulptural. Most of the sides that have won Premierships both present and past have been overflowing with borderline sociopaths who could be reigned in by two or three strong personalities.

It's now the most overhyped term since RSI.

I'll settle for strong, intuitive players and a great coach. If most of them are not model citizens, I don't give a stuff.

• Like 1

I remember last year someone posted a thread saying that one of the storm boys mentioned how the Melbourne boys joke and laugh around the gym and didn't take it seriously. The storm boy was mortified and couldn't believed it.

And hearing that sums our culture up for me. The two captains was a mistake and it needs to be sorted out end of this year!

I remember last year someone posted a thread saying that one of the storm boys mentioned how the Melbourne boys joke and laugh around the gym and didn't take it seriously. The storm boy was mortified and couldn't believed it.

And hearing that sums our culture up for me. The two captains was a mistake and it needs to be sorted out end of this year!

That was Cooper Cronk.

For those of you making snide remarks I'd just like to point out that the one sporting club in Melbourne that you'd want to be listening to in regards to their attitude towards culture and professionalism it would the world champion Melbourne Storm.

• Like 7

I've met Dermie a few times and as much of a party boy as he seems ,he was a true professional whilst he was a player.

Back in the late 80's he would be in the nightclubs drinking water.Some seasons they(the whole team) never had ONE beer .

The word SACRIFICE was mentioned often.

Mitch Clark and Nathan Jones are men, the rest are boys.That is our problem.

• Like 3

I've met Dermie a few times and as much of a party boy as he seems ,he was a true professional whilst he was a player.

Back in the late 80's he would be in the nightclubs drinking water.Some seasons they(the whole team) never had ONE beer .

The word SACRIFICE was mentioned often.

Mitch Clark and Nathan Jones are men, the rest are boys.That is our problem.

Both Jones and Clark are B Grade players, and our best players, that is the problem.

Who is going to deal with it? that's another problem.

• Like 2

Both Jones and Clark are B Grade players, and our best players, that is the problem.

Jones and Clark would look pretty A grade playing for the Cats-but welcome back Bluey!

Mitch Clark is a B Grade Player? Hmm okay.

Happy with Grimes and Trengove as Captains. There are a few long bows been drawn around here and in other places. It is obvious that Neeld, Misson and Craig inherited a group of players not preparing in an elite way. I'd be surprised if the law had not been layed down in that regard. And Its fair to say that Dermie's story has a few holes in it.

Let's just say this

1)did happen and

2) was not a good thing from a recovery point of view

Who could take the culprits to task and rip them a new one? Just imagine how some of these might deal with it

Brereton + Ayers + Dunstall + Mews + Langford + Hodge + Scott + Kennedy

That's how far we are away...

I will support the boys pulling on the red and blue, but not unconditionally. My conditions aren't onerous (not that they players would give a continental what Frankie_d's conditions) : you have to give your all, keep trying, and do what needs to be done on and off the field. If these boys aren't doing what needs to be done off the field, then I am done with those players until strong leadership pulls them into line...

As I said, this depends on 1) and 2) above being true

Edited by frankie_d
  • Like 1

to me everything DB said makes perfect sense. We have a list that, bar a few exceptions, is not having a red hot go and that is the lion's share of our problem. Anybody can see it. DB's speculation that our captains, and the senior group as a whole, are not strong enough to control the attitude and professionalism of the group seems spot on to me. The thing I can't work out is how the coaching staff - or any of the myriad of others in connection with the club - cannot seem to work out how to get these blokes correct in the head.

• Like 2

to me everything DB said makes perfect sense. We have a list that, bar a few exceptions, is not having a red hot go and that is the lion's share of our problem. Anybody can see it. DB's speculation that our captains, and the senior group as a whole, are not strong enough to control the attitude and professionalism of the group seems spot on to me. The thing I can't work out is how the coaching staff - or any of the myriad of others in connection with the club - cannot seem to work out how to get these blokes correct in the head.

Not criticising your post C&B, just adding.

Our club never talks about winning games. From the top down.

It's not demanded therefore there are no expectations. The whole club including all the players, coaching staff, administration and Board talk about everything else other than winning.

According to the lot of them, winning is a bi-product of structures, systems, key performance indicators, processes, fitness levels and the rest of the utter garbage and bs they throw our way. Many supporters lap it up but it's all spin. Total spin.

Apart from the Board members, the rest of them are getting exceptionally well paid for just being there. There is no accountability because not enough of our supporters demand wins.Too many of us believe their spin.

It's been going on since the appointment of Bailey. Perhaps even earlier.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 6

Ive always said the melbourne boys could learn a lot off the storm boys and there culture. They have not missed a finals under Bellamy and have won 3 grand finals, yes 2 were taken off them but everyone knows where they stand in that team and when a new player comes in they know there spot straight away.

I reckon Cameron Smith could even help out the 2 young captains. This is a guy who is a premiership captain, a world champion captain, state of origin captain and led his own country to victory. I dont know why we use them more. Collingwood picked there brains.