Jack Watts Thread

Wayne Carey.

Hate him as a guy, and don't want to listen to him, but geez the stuff he says about footy I really respect, and his no nonsense old school approach would be just what Watts needs.

We need Jack Watts to build character and you want him to involved with a person who has demonstrated significant character deficiencies.

Wasn't Ricky Nixon available?

• Like 1

Notice the last quarter. Team playing well no problems for watts.

Us been bad and him under pressure is good for him. Rawlings and co need to sit him down, do a big review and go from there. The win will keep his spot and I hope he rewards the faith.

I did notice the last quarter and the side can carry a shirker the opposition rolls over and plays doggy.

There is no doubt there has been an element of mismanagement of his lack of form but there are core issues which are Jack Watts.

At present he is a downhill skier in a manner that would make Yze blush.

Jack played like the rest of the team today: erratic and buckling when under pressure, loose and confident when not.

Time to stop looking at him as pick No.1, and rather simply as the player he is.

if you figure out what sort of player he is, let me know.

We need Jack Watts to build character and you want him to involved with a person who has demonstrated significant character deficiencies.

Build character?

That kid would have great character to deal with what he has had to deal with.

Don't confuse physicality on a football field with ones character. If you think that you are more misguided than all those you so rudely accuse of being on here.

• Like 5

I for one don't want to see him head off to Carlton [as has been rumoured] and watch Malthouse turn him into a Super-Star.

If it's an issue with his lame football 'personality' (which I think it is) I doubt Malthouse could do much, nor would he want to take someone who could ruin his personal ethos of hard, committed football.

I haven't exactly seen Morton carving them up at West Coast.

Wayne Carey.

Hate him as a guy, and don't want to listen to him, but geez the stuff he says about footy I really respect, and his no nonsense old school approach would be just what Watts needs.

The club could do worse than get Carey to the club as a forward line coach/mentor; that's where Jack should play, imagine a forward line including Clark/Dawes/Hogan/Watts and a couple of smaller crumbers.

I don't care if Carey is a pretty orduinary human being, he was a great footballer and has a great football brain.

• Like 2

We need Jack to play good football, there are a few AFL legends who could be said to have significant character deficiencies. I'm not saying this is a good thing but one is not dependant on the other.

I don't think Wayne would be employed as a character coach but he certainly has a lot to offer from a football perspective.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 2

Did you notice after the game he was patting Scully on the head and back. It was like ' I want to be your friend or are we still friends'.

It made me nauseous.

Posters are asked to take extreme care when raising allegations about any player at this club. Refer to the code of conduct.

We apply zero tolerance when clearly defamatory allegations are made and for this reason we have indefinitely banned one poster today.

Thank you

• Like 4

Wayne Carey.

Jesse Hogan?

• Like 1

does th

Posters are asked to take extreme care when raising allegations about any player at this club. Refer to the code of conduct.

We apply zero tolerance when clearly defamatory allegations are made and for this reason we have indefinitely banned one poster today.

Thank you

does that mean he's not definitely banned? :)

I watched the replay of the first quarter and I must admit he did not seem as bad in the first quarter on tv, he even runs back and spoils the ball with a player behind him.

Still think he does not have positional awareness in the backline

* Urgency

* Intensity

* Will for a contest

* Second/third efforts

* Tackling

* Physicality

* "Elite Compliance"

Jack Watts - after 5 years in the system, he is a way off from the above aspects that are a necessity for AFL standard. Jack's performance yesterday was lacking in these departments.

It was embarrassing and it cost the team on the score board as a direct result.

I'd be actually hesitant in playing him at Casey in the same forward line with Jesse. Because I wouldn't want any shirking evident near Jesse.

On second thoughts, Jesse wouldn't alter his game in any way which is a hard physical approach to every contest, or contested mark situation, so if any of this rubs off on Watts, it will be a bonus.

Some of the stand-off-ball watching-one handed broken tackles-jogging around observing teammates put in, were just cringeworthy in the extreme.

I've seen better efforts from him in the past, and I've got to question his desire, work ethic, application, dedication and concentration. Because it waivers. I've seen him at training and observed him. I have questions about his committment to training hard. He's a laid back lad.

If he makes an error and the ball is still in dispute, his competitive edge is found wanting, repeat efforts are rare or simply insipid.

I counted quite a few non negotiables that were breached yesterday, if this "elite compliance" that the FD have been setting is anything to go by, J.Watts shouldn't be boarding the flight for the Gabba this week IMO.

• Like 8

hard to argue with that HT

i think he needs to spend some serious time with a sports psychologist before its too late

and btw has anyone ever seen jw run flat out? He supposedly had good speed stats at draft school but i've never seen anything beyond jog speed

• Like 3

His career to date is a lesson in mismanagement of a young player. It was clear from when I first saw him at Casey that he was soft and needed to learn that intensity was a non-negotiable.

The club has failed this player.

Edited by dandeeman
  • Like 3

His career to date is a lesson in mismanagement of a young player. It was clear from when I first saw him at Casey that he was soft and needed to learn that intensity was a non-negotiable.

I thought Watts was good at all the things that come easily to him and terrible at all the rest. The only times he's in a contest is when he can't run away from it and he does win more than his fair share of the ones he accidentally gets involved in because of his great talent. He never ran to contest. Townsend led him a merry dance to the ball because he refused to go body-on-body at the centre bounce. Later on he was on a dwarf - and his opponent - I think O'Rourke - marked and goaled unattended in the last because Watts was either asleep or lazy. The complaint everyone has about him is entirely justified IMO - but we've coached him terribly, of that there is no doubt.

• Like 1

ok, lets put somebody against the nearest wall and shoot em, or relax and spend time not making the same mistake again, mmmmmmm tough choice

I still think that defense is the wrong place for him. It was good for a period, it got him intercepting the ball and giving run of half back but clearly he's not accountable enough. I think wing position where he's given license to roam at both ends is where he belongs, make him a defensive winger but when he get the ball he's instructed to back himself with his delivery. The enigma is how to get him wanting the contest.

• Like 1

At the minute, he's a tall Jamie Bennell.

Was sad to see him outside every pack yesterday, hovering around like a seagull.

I don't know what it's going to take but if I was in a professional footy club for five years I'd be ready for physical contact.

I just don't get it.

• Like 1