Col Sylvia in 2013

P-man

Fellow Deelanders - please advise me as to which god, or gods, to which I must pay homage in order for this bloke to provide a consistent 2013 in which his performance matches his talent. I'm open to all options.

What are we thinking with Col now and into the future? Were there enough signs the last two years that he is building towards something? Must the team perform well in order for him to do the same, or will he finally take the bull by the horns under Neeld's regime? Perhaps even assume more leadership responsibilities on the field?

Just please, for the love of all things good and holy, let the most talented player in the team start showing it in 2013. Right from the get go.

Fellow Deelanders - please advise me as to which god, or gods, to which I must pay homage in order for this bloke to provide a consistent 2013 in which his performance matches his talent. I'm open to all options.

What are we thinking with Col now and into the future? Were there enough signs the last two years that he is building towards something? Must the team perform well in order for him to do the same, or will he finally take the bull by the horns under Neeld's regime? Perhaps even assume more leadership responsibilities on the field?

Just please, for the love of all things good and holy, let the most talented player in the team start showing it in 2013. Right from the get go.

P Man if my memory is correct Col really started to show a few good signs towards the end of the season. He needs a really good preseason without injury and issues. If we dont see something concrete from him next year I would expect that Neeld would have him on the exit list.

Need I remind you that we're the Demons? If that doesn't give you a good idea, I don't know what will.
  • Like 2

He needs a really good preseason without injury and issues.

When was the last time he did a full pre-season, and was ready round 1? Been a while ... if ever. Even now he's training away from the main group.

Perhaps (probably) no fault of his own, but can't help him get to where he needs to be.

he was showing consistency throughout this season which is a good sign, and considering he had fractured his vertebrae at the beginning of the year, his year was even more impressive given the injury he had. I think he will begin to grow under neeld and get the consistency in his game which would make him highly dangerous for opposition clubs :)

• Like 1

I thought he was going to explode in 2006. Then again in 2007, 2008 and 2009. 2010, 2011 and 2012 I started the season thinking he was a smokey for the Brownlow. Will 2013 be his year? He better f^&(ing "explode" soon, that's for sure.

Or we'll blow him up .
  • Like 2

Twice he's done close to full pre-seasons only to be cleaned up in NAB/practice matches, both injuries would have set him back quite a bit (jaw and back). He was showing good signs in the second half so hopefully he can get a full pre-season and not get cleaned up by a cheap shot (not that the offender would get for it anyway).

he's going to explode in 2013

He already has too many (brain) explosions for my liking, especially those of the off-field variety.

Terribly lazy. Plays on his own terms. Half-hearted defensive chases. Will the penny drop with a new coaching group and his football mortality staring him in the face ? If it does he'll really add to the midfield.

I'd have him watch Ryan O'Keefe's Grand Final game 30 times before the start of next season and say this is how hard you have to work.

• Like 5

I'd have him watch Ryan O'Keefe's Grand Final game 30 times before the start of next season and say this is how hard you have to work.

Week in, week out and not just once every three or four weeks.

At his age though you would have to wonder whether he has it in himself to make what would appear to be a massive sea change in attitude.

Still ... miracles do happen and the coach is assembling some hard workers to set the example.

I thought he was going to explode in 2006. Then again in 2007, 2008 and 2009. 2010, 2011 and 2012 I started the season thinking he was a smokey for the Brownlow. Will 2013 be his year? He better f^&(ing "explode" soon, that's for sure.

Well said GTG I also am tiring of the next big year for Col

I just think as well as some injuries he has never understood how hard you haver to work in the modern game and I fear it is now 6 years too late

But i also hope he has the desire and opportunity to realise all the faith and support many of us have had for him

All comes down to desire with Col, you get the feeling he's been taking a back seat, waiting for the team to improve around him so he'll be able to float through half forward with little or no accountability.

I can't help but think they've got some high expectations of him and he'll be required to win his own ball in the middle this year. At the end of the day, if he doesn't perform this year, we'll get next to nothing for him at the trade table and the second he's a free agent, he'd be a prime candidate to jump ship.

The FD would be well aware of that so they'll leave no stone unturned this year in testing him mentally and physically to see whether he's up to it or just another talented spud.

Week in, week out and not just once every three or four weeks.

At his age though you would have to wonder whether he has it in himself to make what would appear to be a massive sea change in attitude.

Still ... miracles do happen and the coach is assembling some hard workers to set the example.

Two games aside, his output and attitude second half of the year was excellent. Even the two low possession games he had he kicked 3 goals in one and had 6 and 8 tackles in them. I think the penny dropped just needs a full pre-season, consistent run with injury and played in the middle all year where he can naturally hunt the ball.

• Like 1

This is the yearly thread topic.

Will it happen?

So far it hasn't. I expect nothing now & if i am pleasantly surprised, Great.

This is the attitude to take I think, too many years of let down to be optimistic about Col.

He does need to play in the middle if he is going to 'explode' though.

• Like 1