FAREWELL JORDAN GYSBERTS

mdemonski2

Guest Hulkamania

Kudos to you Mark Neeld ... finally someone with the cojones to shake this club up a bit.

Jordan Gysberts was a POOR DRAFT CHOICE courtesy of Barry Prendergast, worst recruiter in the history of the known world.

Bring on the revolution!!

• Like 1

Melbourne Midfield 2013:

Jones, Trengove, McKensie, Viney, Grimes, Blease, Magner, Nicholson, Bail, Sylvia, Davey, Tapscott, Howe

I would say that Gysberts is behind all of those listed above...

+ we have Tynan, Jetta, Taggert, pick 4

This is not the worst trade we've done...

Last spilt milk post, but in terms of pure class, Gys is ahead of the majority of those names.

So we trade a young midfielder with obvious talent and a knack of finding the footy for a tall player who couldn't get a game at North when we have just spent big money on a key forward from Collingwood, swapped pick 3 for the best 17-year-old key forward in the country and currently have one of the worst midfields in the competition.

I think Pederson can play but this is an absolutely astonishing short-sighted piece of business.

Astonishing. Who is short sighted? You Scoop?Viney and pick 4 (possibly Wines) I think will have a significant impact on the midfield dynamic. And if anything, would have pushed Gysberts back further in line. The likes of Barry, Taggert are also possible additions to rotate in and out of a changing midfield.

And Harrington has already addressed the notion of spending big money on Dawes. The reports of $500K is carp. And no where in the vicinity according to him.

• Like 1

You really aren't getting it. It was never going to be pick 4 (whoever it is) OR Gysberts on the list.

Once again, if we were that pushed for list space you don't go out and recruit a VFL swingman, a bloke who has been discarded from two clubs and has had more knee recons than haircuts, and a bloke that played his best footy 5 years ago (but its alright because he comes from a "successful" club, even though he couldn't get a game with said club).

Now we just need Farren bloody Ray for this to be an absolute disaster.

I would call it a quick fix but I doubt anything will be fixed considering the calibre of player we have gone after.

Sorry Red Demon, but you're not getting it. I wasn't talking about whether gysberts would be on our list, I was meaning whether he would be in our top 22. To me both Viney and Pick #4 would pass him on our depth charts as soon as they walked in the door. Meaning Gysberts would be stuck in the VFL yet again. So we traded one VFL player for another VFL player.

My immediate reaction is disappointment because I always thought Gysberts would be a gun but surely, surely......with the experience we have in the FD (Craig, Rawlings, Leigh Brown etc) we must know what we're doing getting rid of him. I guess it's all about whether you have faith in the Neeld way, or you have doubts and think that the "type" that he is trying to have at the Dees is overdone. I'm on the fence at the moment....reckon I'll know by about Round 11.

My first thought is also WTH?? but the FD have had an opportunity to have a good look at him and have decided, for better or for worse, that something is not right about him: maybe his attitude to training, his potential highest fitness level, or something else. IF they had hung onto him, like a previous FD did say for Cale, then in a year or two the howls would be even greater.

Decision made.....move on.

Hard times today at the Melbourne Football club if you are a light-bodied, not especially agile, average speed, tallish midfielder with an unreliable kick and floating handball.

I had big hopes for both Morton and Gysberts. But let's face it, that was hope for 'the idea of what they could be', not what they really were.

Pederson? I know very little. But back in the day we gave up more for Ben Holland! :)

• Like 1

Kinda bemused at the tone of many in this thread.

Gysberts is nothing special. He's had 3 years on our list, and to be perfectly fair, frank and honest, hasn't gone anywhere since 2010. He's lightly framed, brings average skills, and couldn't get into the side all year.

Losing him is no real loss at all.

Sh*t trade by the club. We don't need more average key position players to sit in the VFL, we need midfielders to play in our AFL team. We should be trading for mids not talls.

And how the [censored] was Pederson worth more than Gysberts?! First round pick who is only 21 and has played 19 games vs 25 year old who has played 2 games? Madness.

Pretty mixed trade period this year to be honest. We need more midfielders for f*cks sake!!!

Sh*t trade by the club. We don't need more average key position players to sit in the VFL, we need midfielders to play in our AFL team. We should be trading for mids not talls.

And how the [censored] was Pederson worth more than Gysberts?! First round pick who is only 21 and has played 19 games vs 25 year old who has played 2 games? Madness.

Pretty mixed trade period this year to be honest. We need more midfielders for f*cks sake!!!

Lord travis, we cannot do it all in one trade year. Don't forget that more GWS and GCS kids come OOC next year and their lists get smaller...

I have no doubt that this is phase two of a multi-phase plan that will still take several years to come to fruition. This year looked to be about attitude and structure. Next year will be about role-players and a few choice strikes at top talent. Then we'll see what the midfield really looks like.

Kudos to you Mark Neeld ... finally someone with the cojones to shake this club up a bit.

Jordan Gysberts was a POOR DRAFT CHOICE courtesy of Barry Prendergast, worst recruiter in the history of the known world.

Bring on the revolution!!

We've gone backwards fast under Neeld in terms of on field performance, and it's not going to change with players like Pederson and Rodan

• Like 1

Awful trade... Ignoring the names of the players, look at the number of talls we have in this club and the amount we have given away to avoid getting midfielders when we need them desperatly

• Like 1

Astonishing. Who is short sighted? You Scoop?Viney and pick 4 (possibly Wines) I think will have a significant impact on the midfield dynamic. And if anything, would have pushed Gysberts back further in line. The likes of Barry, Taggert are also possible additions to rotate in and out of a changing midfield.

And Harrington has already addressed the notion of spending big money on Dawes. The reports of $500K is carp. And no where in the vicinity according to him.

I just don't think Gysberts has been given enough time given his injuries and lack of body size and I also think he wasn't given as many opportunities as other players who showed far less in their time at Casey.

I'm not saying he's the next big thing, but I have seen that he has certain talents that are worth persevering with and given the state of our midfield I think a young player with a knack of finding the footy is someone you would want to try to develop.

To then trade him for another key forward – I don't quite understand it. We have Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes and Jesse Hogan. You cannot have more than three talls in your forward line. So I'm just thinking what role Pederson is going to play in a few years' time when Hogan should be ready to play. Pederson is not better than Mitch Clark, and if he keeps Dawes out of the team then we have overpaid on Dawes.

So for me the short-sightedness of the decision is in getting a mature KPF who could play next year but at this point in time is questionable whether he would make our best 22 in a few years' time at the expense of a young developing midfielder who could add something to the midfield group for many years.

But feel free to argue that trading a 21 year old for a 26 year old is not a decision for the short term.

• Like 1

Awful trade... Ignoring the names of the players, look at the number of talls we have in this club and the amount we have given away to avoid getting midfielders when we need them desperatly

We have many more midfielders pushing for afl level than talls, without Clark we had no forward line, at least now we have depth of players in all areas of the field.

Strong backline depth, midfield yet to know half of them are still kids, now up forward we have a good line up.

We don't need midfielders we have them and will take 2 more with Viney and then pick 4. Gysberts was not getting a game, all we need now is game time into our mids and we are on a positive push forwards.