Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

FAREWELL JORDAN GYSBERTS

mdemonski2

Happy with this trade -

Am loving the reactions from some of the boys on this thread - I like how we're ignoring the fact Viney - Wines/Tompus and Rodan & Byrnes will be walking in to the bestt 22 next year.

Re watch some games ppl - getting the ball is not an issue once we got to the end of the year - hitting the scoreboard is our biggest issue

• Like 1

So what some are saying is that the entire Football department including Neil Craig and Mark Neeld who have come from very successful clubs with proven track records in developing and getting the best out of players, have no idea what they are doing, having studied and analysed the current list all year from the inside.

And what we should be doing is judging players based on opinions from a fans forum...

I still remember the WTF?! questions when Gysberts was drafted now we're lunatics for releasing him...

Gotta have your critics I guess!

• Like 2

Think the Kangas might have folded on Pederson for pick 49 today.

Without knowing the inner workings of our willingness to offload him, I thought Gysberts was worth giving another year. We have seen so little of this kid since his amazing debut games that we all feel like he has something to offer.

Bit disappointed

• Like 1

Bad trade...pederson will be serviceable for the next 2years and then be moved on again. we will just have too many talls ahead of him.

gys could have been a long term player. very very short sighted this trade.

Gysberts was a bad choice. He was going nowhere. Move on.

Yep, a Barry Prendergast special. He rated him as the 4th best mid of that draft!

Cook gone, Morton gone, Gysberts gone. MN & co are getting rid of a lot of Bailey and Prendergast's work. Our re-build has been an almighty failure. We may well be down the bottom for quite a few more years to come.

At least we got something for him. I still say he will become a great player but he didn't align with Neeld's way forward and was stagnating. I'm disappointed because I think he deserved another year to prove his wares, but not as furious about this one as the Morton trade.

Bitter taste in the mouth about him going to effing Norf.

Edited by P_Man

Neeld has a mould.

Those that dont fit will be moved on.

I suspect JG does NOT

Many need to stop fussing over this or that favor player and consider whats best for the team and its balance.

I reckon you are right on the money here bb

I think we all have to remember that the MFC since probably 2005/ 6 have had a list that is poor and will not take us out of the bottom 6.

The results show that.

We put in Neeld and a new FD to change that, clearly we have a lot of sub standard players.

Neeld and the FD are at the coal face, they have invested a year into evaluating the playing list.

The conclusion is obvious in their trading and potentional trades they have put up over the last 3 weeks.

We need a substantial list change and it is happening

A substantial number need to be changed this year and the next couple of years.

It shows to me how badly we drafted over the last decade.

• Like 1

I can understand this trade from our perspective. Gysberts strenghts were meant to be around his delivery at stoppages and his clean hands. We now have a great replacement for him in Jack Viney. Yeah he's smaller, but he's tougher, still has fantastic hands, and better foot skills and speed. So, would gysberts have been in our top 22 next season even with a full season....maybe not. We're also gonna grab another top midfield prospect who is likely to be better than gysberts with pick 4. Would you rather Toumpas/Wines/O'Rourke etc etc or gysberts???

From a list management perspective this just makes sense. We fill an area of need, and create space for Viney and our other new draft picks to play. Wait till we see what the draft pick is. If it's a 3rd rounder or above we win IMO.

• Like 1

I'm on board with this trade too - we rate Pedersen and we don't rate Gysberts who WAS a first round pick - history is littered with them.

Interesting to see if a pick is involved and what we want it for - hopefully trade for Farren Ray.

FWIW surprised North went for Gysberts when they already have better versions in Ziebell and Cunnington.

• Like 2

I can understand this trade from our perspective. Gysberts strenghts were meant to be around his delivery at stoppages and his clean hands. We now have a great replacement for him in Jack Viney. Yeah he's smaller, but he's tougher, still has fantastic hands, and better foot skills and speed. So, would gysberts have been in our top 22 next season even with a full season....maybe not. We're also gonna grab another top midfield prospect who is likely to be better than gysberts with pick 4. Would you rather Toumpas/Wines/O'Rourke etc etc or gysberts???

From a list management perspective this just makes sense. We fill an area of need, and create space for Viney and our other new draft picks to play. Wait till we see what the draft pick is. If it's a 3rd rounder or above we win IMO.

Poor analogy. It was never going to be Wines OR Gysberts.

If we wanted list space you don't go out and recruit the likes of Byrnes, Rodan, and Pedersen. Strong chance they'll all be gone in 2-3 years anyway.

So with Viney and Pick 4, we will be so overrun with quality midfielders that there would be no room for Gysberts? I can accept the trade but I can't accept that logic. Premiership teams all have one thing in common - depth.

Bottom line is he couldn't be developed. He had the talent, you don't smash it against the Cats and not have the talent.

This really disappoints me. How do you trade a first-round pick midfielder for a VFL player who can't get a game at north?

It stinks. I'm going to be really sad if/when he starts tearing it up at north.

You mean that first-round pick midfielder who couldn't get a consistent game in our best 22, and may not have been in our top 22 this season with Viney and possibly Toumpas/Wines/O'Rourke to come in and take his place?

We need to get over the fact that players were drafted in the first round. Morton is also going to the eagles now and he was a Pick 4. But both have failed to developed as hoped and don't play roles that we possibly need at the moment. Would you rather have Viney and a Toumpas/Wines/O'Rourke on the filed or Morton and Gysberts???

So with Viney and Pick 4, we will be so overrun with quality midfielders that there would be no room for Gysberts? I can accept the trade but I can't accept that logic. Premiership teams all have one thing in common - depth.

Bottom line is he couldn't be developed. He had the talent, you don't smash it against the Cats and not have the talent.

So based on one game you are going to say that Gysberts was going to be a gun player. He had talent, but talent isn't enough to survive anymore. Don't you recall what Brad Green said in one of his interviews after he retired....it was along the lines of "some guys can't rely on getting games on talent alone any more. They need to buy in to what the club is doing!"

We have lived in the land of "what could be" long enough.

I'm just curious, are you saying that you would prefer to keep gysberts for depth reasons, rather than have a guy come in who could be in our starting 22???

• Like 2

Only space on our list for the true believers (and players prepared to bust a gut in training all year)

Chasing another big fella , after already securing Clarke, Dawes and Hogan gives, i think an interesting insight into Neelds preferred game plan. Strong bodied mids, lots of contested footy (which we saw this year). better level of fitness to run, chase and spread and kick long into a forward line with multiple marking options (with improved crumbing options, which i hope will also include Davey)

• Like 1

I thought olisik was going to take the cake for worst post I'd ever read.

I was wrong.

Wow.

Harrington has no interest in building a premiership list.

Just wow.

Perhaps you should try reading your own empty posts first before commenting on others.

And I agree, this is looking more and more like a desperate quick fix the longer trade period goes on. Thank god its finishing up today or else we probably would begun seeing other potential A graders traded off for C grade VFL players.

I have no idea if Gys will be a star or not down the track.

However, today and now we have not traded a pick 12 player for a VFL player. What we have traded is one VFL player for another VFL player.

This notion of draft number = player value is a nonsense. We have seen a plethora of footballers taken late in the draft and perform brilliantly - conversely we have seen lots of early picks fail to deliver. This mythical draft pick number ceases to be relevant the minute after your name is called out. It is then up to the player ( with assistance from the coaches and resources) as to what his real value will be.

• Like 2

A lot would have to go right for Gysberts to become the player we hoped. To be forthright he is an inside midfielder who isn't strong enough get to have an impact at stoppages contests let alone not fit enough to even get there.

Neeld seems to be taking the risks and unknown out of the club, bringing players he knows what they will bring to the club and shipping out those unknowns or potential players.

Ok I may have spoken too soon apparently there is a switch of picks tbd which may suggest we are giving 49 for 38 which no doubt would be enough to snag Ray. This makes [censored] a bit better.

Lets hope so.

So we trade a young midfielder with obvious talent and a knack of finding the footy for a tall player who couldn't get a game at North when we have just spent big money on a key forward from Collingwood, swapped pick 3 for the best 17-year-old key forward in the country and currently have one of the worst midfields in the competition.

I think Pederson can play but this is an absolutely astonishing short-sighted piece of business.

• Like 2

Don't like losing high pick players, but Gys played 19 games in 3 years, was spoken of pre-season as a soft trainer with low fitness.

He's been evaluated by Neeld, Craig and Misson and they decided to trade him. I'm ok with their decision.

• Like 3

I'm just curious, are you saying that you would prefer to keep gysberts for depth reasons, rather than have a guy come in who could be in our starting 22???

Gysberts is 21 years old. He is still a long-term prospect. I am saying I would've preferred to see him kept for at least another (ideally injury free) year to see where he is at, because of his 19 or so games, there were a handful that showed he would not only be best 22 in coming years but well beyond that. I can concede that there has been a bit too much focus on "the future" at the expense of the here and now with this club in recent years, but there is such a thing as overcorrection.

Anyhow the deal is done and I am trusting in Neeld and the FD, because really what's the alternative.

• Like 1