WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

It appears to new that there will be a clear winner in this trade. If Dawes his great form at Melbourne for a couple of years, kicks goals and provides a great target, we have paid serious unders and will bee clear winners. If he struggles for form and gets dropped we will have paid overs. No real middle ground!

Re the financial cost, I couldn't care less. Our current players don't deserve the money and we have to pay a minimum amount per year.

Worth the money, either way not sure where else it could be spent this year as there are no real other "big fish" that we could target or that would look at us.

He will be an amazing 2nd option to Mitch, and may even allow Watts to head forward as the 3rd option and possibly be our version of Jack Gunston.

Will be good to have pack splitting forwards AND a couple of good small forwards running round there feet (Davey & Byrne).

Really good news.

Dawes is a young key forward that allows us to keep (and learn) the structure that Neeld wants us to play.

But, more than that, he's a noted leader on the training track and comes from a successful environment that has won a premiership. He knows what success looks like (just like Byrnes) so he will automatically be able to help set the standards that Neeld is demanding from the rest of the players.

He's going to be a role player, not a superstar. He will be a cog that helps everything else work better, rather than a Mitch Clark type that is able to rip games apart by himself. And we know that he'll play that role because he's a professional that comes from a culture where playing your role is paramount.

In addition we get 2 or the top 5 midfielders of this draft plus the best key position player (even if we have to wait a year).

Can you stop making calm, intelligent posts here please. They don't fit in.

Another thing I like about the experience that's come into the club with Clark, Byrnes & now Dawes is that they generally play up to a certain standard week in week out. This is something we haven't had from our experienced players since we lost Junior & to a lesser extent Bruce (who, for all his deficiencies, was at least consistent), leaving us with experienced players who could be great one week and awful the next - Moloney, Davey & Sylvia in particular, and to some extent Rivers & Jamar.

You expect young players to be up & down in their level of performance from game to game, and rely on experienced players to make a consistent strong performance in every game to keep you in the contest, no matter who you play against. Looking at the top teams, there's probably a critical mass of maybe 8 or 10 players who can be relied on to do this.

In 2011, we relied on Clark (for half the season), Jones, Grimes & Trengove for consistent strong performance, who were just overwhelmed by the numbers on the other side. But adding Dawes & Byrnes to this group, and continued improvement from the likes of Sylvia (whose consistency improved thru the season) & Jamar & hopefully Frawley & perhaps even Watts, it's likely that we'll get much closer to that critical mass, and therefore we'll be in more games for longer, with a better chance of winning.

So Dawes & Byrnes bring consistency & reliability, in addition to leadership & professionalism & structure.

• Like 5

Article in The Age says 'Melbourne is understood to have initially proposed a trade of pick 13 for Dawes...but when the Demons traded pick 13 as part of the Jesse Hogan deal last week, it made the negotiations more difficult'.

I'm not so sure. We knew very early on on the trading we would swap pick 13 for pick 20. We also needed a big strong 'siege machine' like Dawes to help us break down the oppposition defences, and take pressure off Mitch Clark. Two years ago, after the 2010 GF, we would have needed a lot more than pick 20 to get him from Collingwood. I don't think we would have used pick 13 to get Dawes - at least not on its own.

We swapped picks 3 and 13 to get Hogan, Barry, Dawes and Viney at 26. In the absence of hindsight, it sounds like a good deal.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

Jones, Trengove, Viney, Pick 4, Grimes, Howe, Blease, Byrnes, Tapscott, Strauss, Bail, Mckensie, Magner, Gysberts, Davey, Taggert, Tynan.

All these players will rotate through our midfield next year. Not great, but not as dire as many are saying.

2 first year players and 2 second year players isn't ideal. Can't really rely on these guysucj next year. Will Sylvia play a role here?

I dont mean to be pessimistic or anything but I do think many posters on DL overate some of our new recruits.

Their are 2 ways to look at every player

Byrnes = Speedy midfielder who will fill a gap and bring in some professionalism

Byrnes = Ageing small forward who could not break into the firsts in a team which struggled to make the 8 this year.

Barry = Classy outside left footer with great run and carry and oozing talent

Barry = Jamie Bennell

Dawes = Talented professional gorilla who will help our team massively structurally

Dawes = Big overrated player who couldn't kick more goals then Brad Miller in 2012 which was overpaid for

Viney = Best inside mid of the draft and exactly what our team needs

Viney = Kid who is yet to play an AFL game and jumps the gun when talking to the media

Hogan = Best Forward since Franklin

Hogan = kid who did not look extremely excited about being taken by the dees and cant play for a year.

I am not putting any of these players in either of these categories yet until we see them run out for the MFC next year (or the year after)

I am feeling good so far but I don't want a repeat of my excitement from last years administration/coaching turn over which turned into the worst season the MFC has probably experienced.

Lets see how things go

Olisik, I understand your hesitation. I understand your pessimism. That is definitely your choice. However, try not to sap the life and hope out of many Demons supporters at a time where hope is being restored. Go for your life after a shocking loss, but not at this MEGA AWESOME TIME OF EXCITEMENT!!!

How about a post like:

Byrnes could be a speedy midfielder who will fill a gap and bring in some professionalism.

Barry looks a classy outside left footer with great run and carry and oozing talent.

Dawes, a talented professional gorilla who will help our team massively structurally.

Viney, the best inside mid of the draft and exactly what our team needs.

Hogan, could be the best forward since Franklin.

Can't wait to see what they achieve on the field all playing together!

• Like 3

half full, half empty ??

Optimist, Pessimist ??

Something happening, same ol same ol ??

Blues Skies, ...pick your poison !!

Go Dees, lets give them HELL !!

• Like 1

This is great for our club, put Watts on a half forward flank, with Howe on the other all of the sudden we have targets to kick to. We now need to focus on a midfielder with pick 3 in the psd I would be happy for a koby Stevens or Matt Campbell.

This is great for our club, put Watts on a half forward flank, with Howe on the other all of the sudden we have targets to kick to. We now need to focus on a midfielder with pick 3 in the psd I would be happy for a koby Stevens or Matt Campbell.

Put Watts in the middle. Get him in there and see what he can do.

• Like 1

No need, im adding you on ignore instead so I don't need to see pathetic posts such as ones like this from people who can't even find the ignore button.

He would still see your posts even if you had him on ignore.

• Like 4

I dont mean to be pessimistic or anything but ..................................................................

Do you honestly expect us to believe that olisik????

• Like 2

Does anyone know how long he sighed for?

I reckon it would have been a good few seconds...in fact a collective sigh throughout the recruitment team I would imagine.
  • Like 1

Big footy,Facebook, pies supporters I know all skeptical of the deal....

It makes me sick when the armchair critic says "you paid overs" ..such an ignorant and ill informed comment...

Melbourne needed a spine.... All of a sudden weare building one...

Pick 45 for pick 58? Merely an exchange of late picks...

It's effectively Dawes for pick 20... And if no one can see the positivity and ambition in getting a player that is 193cms, 105 kgs, has won a premiership, has proven he can play great football... For pick 20....seriously, you need your head examined...

How canyon pay overs for something you don't really know will eventuate? Morton was atop 10 pick for god's sake! There are No guarantees....but he'll, the footy club are going out and being aggressive and getting players that have had success...hopefully they can grow with our youngsters..instead of having a team of developing drafts picks..

if you are dying of thirst, how much is a drink of water worth?

Our scoring has been drying up and we need someone to kick goals so it was a fair price for us but may be overs for a club that has a solid forward line, it's all relevant and to be quite honest who gives a [censored] what anyone on BigFooty has to say?

Let them rabbit on, we'll see who is right when the season begins to unfold.

• Like 3

Do you honestly expect us to believe that olisik????

Your call really, I posted both views so see it as you will.

My own opinion is really subjective to how we perform next year. To me its more about how we use the crop rather then what the crop is, I personally think that most players with a decent skill set can become A grade or even stars if they are used correctly.

At the moment our first 5 picks look something like 3 (Hogan), 4 (Wines), 13 (Dawes), 26 (Viney), 45 (Barry) which isn't too bad if our midfield can perform to an adequate level next year. If they can't then we will be in trouble.

Edited by olisik

I was a fan of the trade from the start because we have traded in a B-grade (not knocking him) 24-year-old KPF whose value has never been lower. If he turns into a premier lead up forward (even Brad Miller nailed it occasionally), he will have Howe, Clark and eventually Hogan to deliver it to. I honestly believe that could be one of the best forward lines in the game. It's been a long time since we had two legitimate KPF up-front.

Mark Neeld hinted he was going to go beserk this trading period and f**k me, it's been a lot of fun.

• Like 3

Your call really, I posted both views so see it as you will.

Of course things may turn out well or not. But given where MFC is at, I'm a lot more happy with where were are now than I would have been with a batch of young untried kids recruited on the basis of potential. Imagine the doom and gloom our pessimists could produce if we just took a lot of high picks as was done so 'successfully' in the past.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

Just reviewing our mids and re-read this on Taggert who has yet to play a game

187cm 85kgs

Taggert is a strong midfielder who recorded a 14.8 beep test at the Draft Combine and was rated third in the vertical leap and in the top 10 for the clean hands test. Is a good athlete and penetrating kick but will need time to adjust to the pace and pressures of AFL football. The Horsham product moved to St Pat’s College Ballarat in his final year of school to play for the North Ballarat Rebels.

If he can get his body right he could fit right in there with Viney, Pick 4, Grimes, Howe, Jones, Trengove, Jordie etc

• Like 3

Welcome Dawesy! spoke to a mate of fine who plays for collingwood recently and i asked him about Dawes. He said that he was a top bloke that was very well liked in the group. Has a good head on his shoulder and fantastic leadership qaulitys that will be a massive tick for the dees. said that it will be sad to see him go as he is actually very highly rated amongst the playing group.. A few of the players are actually a bit shitty at bucks for the decision to trade him off as they think he is still very valuble to the team. A good get!

Ps i wanna make love to Mark Neeld.