US college basketball rookies

dtrinh

Just wondering about other people's thoughts on drafting or rookie listing one of these three players. They would have the skill set except for kicking abilities and game sense they would have the following attributes:

- elite athletism: speed, agility, lateral movement, vertical jumping

- great ball skills: marking

- Great hand eye co-ordination: great passing skills and game sense in relation to positioning of players and who to pass too

Wouldn't be bad to see if we could develop one of them.

• Like 1

I think its foolhardy not to look at any other sporting background. The ultimate success is always down to the indidual.

Stynes is legendary as a gaelic football convert.. Pyke a recent foreign rugby player.

How well they can learn the nuances of the game I feel comes down again to the individual and probably how early they can come to the game.

Not all will succeed , such as Collingwoods recent foray into US recruiting, but that in itself ought not preclude from looking, indeed inviting various sportsmen from varying backgrounds into the.

Theres a whole world out there.

Sydney have a US College player, not sure how it works if he is a Rookie or anything. They showed some footage of him, his skills looked pretty good, better kicking action than Spencer.

Pretty sure international rookies count outside the cap and players on your full list

Sydney have a US College player, not sure how it works if he is a Rookie or anything. They showed some footage of him, his skills looked pretty good, better kicking action than Spencer.

lol is there a worse kicking action than Spencer?

Seriously but...

• 2 months later...

I still think it's a shame we didn't give this basketballer, eric wallace a go...

197cm, 105kg and an athletic beast! lots of transferability from bball to footy these days, especially with the new emphasis on defensive zones.

maybe we didn't even consider it because we thought we were going to get hannath.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/american-basketballer-signs-on-with-north-melbourne-20121220-2bofj.html

"Four pillars" of our recruiting strategy probably requires that they have played a game of Aussies rules (or something similar) before we draft them.

Yet to be convinced on the value of the US Basketball rookies, would prefer to give talented kids who play the game a shot first.

• Like 1

"Four pillars" of our recruiting strategy probably requires that they have played a game of Aussies rules (or something similar) before we draft them.

Yet to be convinced on the value of the US Basketball rookies, would prefer to give talented kids who play the game a shot first.

Perhaps the fourth pillar - footy skills - could reasonably be deferred for an international listed rookie.

I am 100% behind that move, should we make it. I've wished for years that we could lure some of those freakish seven foot tall monsters from the NBA and the lower leagues. Anyone remember Carl Molone? Imagine him playing AFL.
There's hundreds of NBA/college athletes that could potentially tear our game apart.

I always try to picture LeBron running on the MCG. Who could stop a force of nature like that?

Edited by The Big Ticket
  • Like 1

Somewhat different background I'll admit but one Jimmy Stynes wasn't a bad international pickup.

Never really embraced the club .

Was only ever out for himself .

Somewhat different background I'll admit but one Jimmy Stynes wasn't a bad international pickup.

Gaelic is far more similar to Aussie Rules than basketball.

Personally I'd require an athletic basketballer to have played soccer to a decent level. At least then they will have some foot skills.

• Like 1

I am against it, they can't kick.

Furthermore, name me an irishman who can kick?

Other than Stynes, there hasn't been an irishman worth his salt play AFL.

This suggests that skills need to be picked up early to really succeed.

Nick Nat is an athletic freak, has played the game most his life - and still can't kick.

I'd rather us put more time into sourcing young talent within the grassroots of Australia.

• Like 2

I reckon Sydney supporters may take issue with that.

Has anyone had a look at Shae McNamaras website? It shows fantastic athletic abilities, and the kicking abilty of your 6 year old sister.

I think you're right. Recruiting blokes 'trying' the game seems to run contrary to Neeld's thinking, certainly ATM anyway. If we do go down this track again I would much rather we looked at an Irishman again. This guy North have got will be lucky to play a single game, but you could say that about a lot of rookies! Pure speculation and perhaps designed to draw a bit of media and public interest?

The international rookies don't take the place of any home grown players do they? They fit outside the cap and the normal list numbers as they are very experimental? Any player that falls into this catogory almost by default has no AFL background.

The real factors are the cost ($$'s and time) to find and then develop them? I assume all clubs would do some looking (given how sometimes it can be successful), but I couldn't see melbourne in its current state putting too many resources towards it.

I am against it, they can't kick.

Nick Nat is an athletic freak, has played the game most his life - and still can't kick.

I'd rather us put more time into sourcing young talent within the grassroots of Australia.

I gather that you have forgotten about Sean Wight?

The international rookies don't take the place of any home grown players do they? They fit outside the cap and the normal list numbers as they are very experimental? Any player that falls into this catogory almost by default has no AFL background.

The real factors are the cost ($$'s and time) to find and then develop them? I assume all clubs would do some looking (given how sometimes it can be successful), but I couldn't see melbourne in its current state putting too many resources towards it.

They are regarded as Category B rookies. Can have upto 3. You can have between 4 to 6 Cat A rookies (normal rookie list) depending on the number of primary list players.