FAREWELL STEFAN MARTIN - SEPTEMBER 2012

Guest Rassilon

I think you'll find he loved to run around like a headless chook, with no accountability and no discipline. No blocking, no shepherding, no commitment.

Enjoy the QAFL, Stef.

You hate Martin, we get it.

FFS how about showing some respect to somebody who tried hard while wearing a Melbourne jumper?

Just wish him luck and move on.

• Like 3

Atypical of another poor pick....and exactly when did he 'deliver?'

Even Voss will not turn him around. Will play QAFL most of the year.

You don't get it? He was a rookie. Complaining about him being a "wasted pick" is like complaining that your Kia doesn't drive like a Ferrari.

How many rookies have clubs drafted over the years that never played a senior game? We only hear about the successful ones. I consider the real wasted picks to be those under 40 that don't go one with it. Players drafted after 50 play and average of 5 games!

My statement that he delivered is really just to acknowledge that I actually rated some of his games in the ruck. Top 10 finish in the B & F in 2011 shows he wasn't as entirely hopeless as you believe. Given responsibility and a settled position he performed OK. He was also able to build an AFL body unlike Morton & Gysberts who remain too light to ever compete at the top level.

You don't get it? He was a rookie. Complaining about him being a "wasted pick" is like complaining that your Kia doesn't drive like a Ferrari.

How many rookies have clubs drafted over the years that never played a senior game? We only hear about the successful ones. I consider the real wasted picks to be those under 40 that don't go one with it. Players drafted after 50 play and average of 5 games!

My statement that he delivered is really just to acknowledge that I actually rated some of his games in the ruck. Top 10 finish in the B & F in 2011 shows he wasn't as entirely hopeless as you believe. Given responsibility and a settled position he performed OK. He was also able to build an AFL body unlike Morton & Gysberts who remain too light to ever compete at the top level.

My Suzuki doesn't drive like a Kia.... That is bad!

I think you'll find he loved to run around like a headless chook, with no accountability and no discipline. No blocking, no shepherding, no commitment.

Enjoy the QAFL, Stef.

Interesting arugment:

Melbourne Averages

Tackling: 2012 - 67 a game, 2011 - 69 a game

Blocks: 2012 - 5 a game, 2011 - 6 a game

Positive Acts (Tackles, Spoils, Smothers, Blocks, Knock Ons etc): 2012 - 127 a game, 2011 - 134 a game

Source: Champion Data

I always liked Stef, hope he goes well for the Lions.

Interesting arugment:

Melbourne Averages

Tackling: 2012 - 67 a game, 2011 - 69 a game

Blocks: 2012 - 5 a game, 2011 - 6 a game

Positive Acts (Tackles, Spoils, Smothers, Blocks, Knock Ons etc): 2012 - 127 a game, 2011 - 134 a game

Source: Champion Data

I always liked Stef, hope he goes well for the Lions.

Odd post.

The stats imply 'Bailey era Demons were better tacklers (by 2...), blockers (?), and harder working (I assume) than Neeld's Demons.

But then a pivot to Stef?

I understand but I don't comprehend.

Stef better angle to play in defence up in Brissie because he isn't good enough in any other position.

Poor comment. Ridiculous comment. Bad call.

So Gys effort for casey coming back from injury to get smashed and have a broken jaw was weak?

And linking Jimmy's hard work as president to them is simply rubbish. I reckon Jimmy would not want that.

I'm not against removing these players from the list, but your comments about their efforts and passion for team success shows how little you know about the game. Soft post.

Players get paid to play football, injury is a subsequence of playing footy, it is normal to play again after injury, breaking a jaw is bad luck and doesn,t mean a player is or isnt soft.

Attitude to training, weights lifted, endurance levels are indicators of whether a player has guts and his level of softness.

Gysberts was soft.

Now I can assure you I know a hell of a lot more about football and the dees than you credit me for and you are a numb nut and the type of weak dee supporter I deplore

The administration before the Stynes era was crap and without his efforts the club wouldn't be debt free and in a position to hire qualty coaches who have made changes to our list because Gysberts, Morton & Martin were crap pure and simple.

Who the hell are you to say what Jim Stynes would have thought about the post I made.

He saved our club whilst battling for his life and played whilst injured and you compare this to the 3 soft players we delisted bugger off

I reckon we could've done better with Stef. I liked him and I thought his extra training and strong performance in 2011 showed he had the desire to be there. If we were better resourced, we might've taken him further to be a very good player. But all water under the bridge now. Good luck with the future Stef Martin.

• Like 1

I reckon we could've done better with Stef. I liked him and I thought his extra training and strong performance in 2011 showed he had the desire to be there. If we were better resourced, we might've taken him further to be a very good player. But all water under the bridge now. Good luck with the future Stef Martin.

Believe or don't believe but I was told that the leadership group wanted Steph out. Not fully committed and another one that didn't "buy in".

• 1 year later...

He has been very handy for the lions since his come back from injury. Averaging 20 touches, 30 hit outs, 4 tackles per game. I always thought he has potential and showed signs throughout 2010-2011 to show he could be a player.. Although Pedersen probably plays his role and better his a better ruck/forward option than Gawn and Fitzpatrick atm

Believe or don't believe but I was told that the leadership group wanted Steph out. Not fully committed and another one that didn't "buy in".

Ah Theo, right on the money again!! I heard just the very same thing!

Ah Theo, right on the money again!! I heard just the very same thing!

Not what I heard or know from having met Steph on a few occasions. However, he is a very much different cat to most AFL players with a colossally high IQ.

I always thought be played his best football as a key defender and recall he had a breakout game when we surprised the Brisbane Lions one night on the MCG. He was called upon to move into the ruck and play forward from time to time to cover vacancies in those spots and also had some injury problems (hip?). In the end, he was never settled as a player and we let him go in a trade which was probably fair in the circumstances where we were well served with ruck stocks, had Mitch Clark as well and were recruiting the likes of Dawes and Hogan. We weren't to know all the problems we were going to have with injuries and a premature retirement and Martin himself has had injury woes in the interim as well.

• Like 3

Not what I heard or know from having met Steph on a few occasions. However, he is a very much different cat to most AFL players with a colossally high IQ.

I always thought be played his best football as a key defender and recall he had a breakout game when we surprised the Brisbane Lions one night on the MCG. He was called upon to move into the ruck and play forward from time to time to cover vacancies in those spots and also had some injury problems (hip?). In the end, he was never settled as a player and we let him go in a trade which was probably fair in the circumstances where we were well served with ruck stocks, had Mitch Clark as well and were recruiting the likes of Dawes and Hogan. We weren't to know all the problems we were going to have with injuries and a premature retirement and Martin himself has had injury woes in the interim as well.

How did you gauge that, WJ? From his ATAR? The way he sipped his tea?

Not smart enough to realise his role in a team.

He's played two okay games in three or fours years and we're maligning his exit.

Give me strength.......

He's played two okay games in three or fours years and we're maligning his exit.

Give me strength.......

If you're asking how I know that he has a colossally high IQ, he came close to topping the state in his VCE exams.

If you're talking about anything else I wrote, you're not really making any sense.

An ATAR score? Okay.

Footy smarts? Zilch.

Never mind.

WJ made no reference in his post about footy smarts but as a matter of fact he's been showing a bit of them at Brisbane since he came into their team.

But never mind.

• Like 1

Give me strength.......

He didn't have too much of an issue with his role pre-Neeld, when he was playing quite well.

Hasn't it been established that most of the players had great difficulty in understanding what they were doing under Neeld. I think that was pretty obvious from how 'well' they were all playing under him.

We got rid of Martin and kept Jake Spencer.

Only at Melbourne..

And Jumbo you are seriously delusional, The guy is playing fantastic footy and would easily be in our best 22. This bloke would have thrived under Roos.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

Reading the thread of the title i assumed Stef had passed away, thankfully that's not the case. I haven't seen a single Brisbane game this year but am now keen to watch one and see how he goes.

I thought previous to Neeld he showed some real glimpses and as dazzle states above, under Roo's may have really thrived. Shame really.

Let the record show... ;)

Personally I think Martin still has alot more to offer both as an agile ruckman and as a tall forward. He adds some versatility to our list and is probably 12 months away from hitting his peak.

He's been terrific for Brisbane of late and would be a walk up start. Wrong call, but good luck to him.