• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Does the rise of McDonald spell the end for Rivers?

Range Rover

Nah.

Should elaborate, Riv is one senior player I'd hang on to has never taken a backward step and a very courageous under rated player. Not as slow as some would suggest and takes a very good mark especially under pressures.

Keep.

Edited by RobbieF
  • Like 12

RR - so you presumably don't think either depth, or competition for positions is at all important then.

Also he has shown some capability as a forward pinch hitter - similarly, is versatility not a factor?

• Like 2

RR - so you presumably don't think either depth, or competition for positions is at all important then.

Also he has shown some capability as a forward pinch hitter - similarly, is versatility not a factor?

I'll put my hand up as saying I don't think depth or competition for positions are very important. I'll also say that those things are independent of Rivers; I believe he's still best 22. Rivers hasn't exactly missed much footy on the back of McDonald being in the side this year, so I don't see why next year would be any different.

• Like 2

I've never been a Rivers fan, Monocc. Lacks pace and athleticism.

I'd prefer us to recruit and/or develop young players with these qualities than get the same old same old from Rivers year after year.

I just wonder whether he's going to be content to play games at Casey when he might get better opportunities elsewhere.

Rivers has had a good year IMO, has adapted well to playing under Neeld, and the fact that he has shown to be effective as a swing man being able to play forward and back gives him some value. McDonald does not look like he has that flexibility.

That being said I haven't quite made up my mind regarding Rivers next year though, I would have no issue with the club offering him another deal, but I also see him as having enough currency to get a handy player from another club in return... and I think it's fair to say we have other options if he or the club looks to engage in a trade.

To say he would spend time @ Casey is a joke, Rivers is an AFL standard player and would get a gig in the back 6 a lot of AFL teams I reckon.

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 1

I've never been a Rivers fan, Monocc. Lacks pace and athleticism.

I'd prefer us to recruit and/or develop young players with these qualities than get the same old same old from Rivers year after year.

I just wonder whether he's going to be content to play games at Casey when he might get better opportunities elsewhere.

Better than Joel Mac more reliable than Garland calmer than Tommy Mc good third man up knows when to spoil or mark, he's ok.

• Like 3

the fact that he has shown to be effective as a swing man being able to play forward and back gives him some value.

This 'swing man' string to Rivers' bow gets a bit overrated around here. Kicked 4 against GWS and 2 against Port. Against halfway decent defenders, he's no forward.

Why can't this thread read 'Does the rise of McDonald spell the end for Sellar?'

I like Rivers. He has a crack and is an honest footballer with the right temperament for our development. I say keep him for a year if we can get away with it (meaning he doesn't get 2 years from someone else as a FA).

There is a thread about club culture. Rivers adds to that at Melbourne. He is a loyal hardworking and courageous servant of the club. He is also still a good experienced player with 2 or three years left in him. Why part with him? Tom Mc is developing well and probably benefits from River's experience.

• Like 7

Hes a F A

If we offer little he can walk...and he might. Be handy to gc or gws in their starting 22. For us hes a bit of insurance and depth going forward . Cant see him really figuring in Neelds grand plan.

If Rivers isn't playing in the red and blue next year, I'll deadset chuck a tanty.

One of the most reliable senior players, and is very rarely beaten. Adds leadership and a calming influence I believe.

A definite starter every time he's fit.

• Like 9

Frawley, Garland and McDonald should be our first choice three talls down back from here on in.

Rivers has been serviceable but I think he's about to be superceded.

For his own good I'd let him go or Casey beckons.

IMO, the past List management of 10 years has put the club into this position of desperation!

Now, we have to hastily correct things, shifting some loved players who normally we wouldn't nudge out.

With the serviceability of JMac? plus Davis coming thru,,, to add to Frawley, Garland, Sellar, Martin, & Tom Mac', Riv is now a luxury.

With his age bracket & this draft shallow for Key Defenders, plus the advent of Free Agency, I can see Riv taking advantage of this trade window. HIs days in our Senior team are numbered in the next year & a half.

He'd do better elsewhere.

And we need to keep building the list.

I'm Open to this scenario.

Edited by dee-luded

Rivers has had a great year....I think he is third on our marks tally.

We don't need to get get rid of good experienced senior players thank you.

• Like 3

Riversis best 22 and will be for some time. I had my doubts a couple of years ago but he has been terrific in the past 2 seasons.

Reads the game well.

Is tough as old boots to beat.

He is our third-man-up man and every good defence needs one.

He is a leader.

And he is very consistent - rarely puts in a shocker.

His skills are a bit dodgy at times and he gets monstered by the gorilla forwards but I would be really annoyed if he was traded.

• Like 4

Rivers is a heart and soul player. Has some deficiencies but has a huge amount of experience, has shown flexibility this year, is remarkably resilient given his early injury troubles and tries his guts out every week.

Would very much like him to stay.

• Like 1

With the serviceability of JMac? plus Davis coming thru,,, to add to Frawley, Garland, Sellar, Martin, & Tom Mac', Riv is now a luxury.

I think Rivers is one senior player we need to keep, one of our best over the last couple of seasons, also think that Davis may well be moved on at the end of the year. He hasn't really come on, can't deny his courage at the contest but has been consistently beaten throughout this season.

I'd be very surprised if we moved him on, the only scenario I can see is him leaving us. But to answer your question no I don't think it spells the end for Rivers.

I thought he was playing some of his best career football earlier in the year, and when we lost all our forwards his move forward diminished his confidence (after he kicked four against GWS). For me Garland has shown a fair bit as a forward, his movement seems natural, he's a good mark (something we've always known), he just needs to work on his set shots.

Col moves forward in the place of Green in 2013 and Rivers gets his old role back.

• Like 1

Frawley, Garland and McDonald should be our first choice three talls down back from here on in.

Rivers has been serviceable but I think he's about to be superceded.

For his own good I'd let him go or Casey beckons.

I look at Geelong and I see Scarlett, Mackie, Taylor and Lonergan. I look at our team and I see Frawley, McDonald, Garland and Rivers. Given he hasn't signed and the club 'apparently' - if you believe Niall's detailed article - has put off until October it does raise questions. I would have thought he would be a required player, but he may not be. Rivers I believe has backed up from last season and has been a swing man this year since Clark went down. Hasn't been as effective as we would like but at least he has provided the odd contest up forward.

Just shows how important Clark is really...It will be a fascinating post season.

The fact that he would move to the VL next year makes we wonder why we aren't signing him up, yes it is the cost of a rookie spot and they are important but considering Lawrence has gone, and Evans and Nicholson will go up or go, there will be at least two RL spots available even if Rivers is on the VL.

It makes we think that Rivers is testing the waters of FA and he has every right to.

Would like to think he will stay, as I would like to think he is required for a couple more years.

I have read so many posts blaming the premature dumping of experienced players for our current situation, it's hard to believe that there are people on this site that would like to see one of our only reliable older players shown the door. Rivers may well want to move to a more successful club (who could blame him?) but I believe he'll stay on