WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

But do Melbourne's recruiters think that way? After all, their responsibility is to the club as a whole and must transcend the father-son issue.

What if they've been really impressed by the form during the year and the testing and interviewing of Brodie Grundy and Jimmy Toumpas?

If Gold Coast bid for Jack Viney and we were to pass in him, then they would have opened the way for us to get both of them - a situation which would not be likely if Viney wasn't nominated and left for a second round pick because pick 2 could no longer be used for either Grundy or Toumpas.

The Dees would definitely need to think carefully if that situation arose and GCS should not be oblivious to what might happen if it's just a bluff on their part.

Interesting thinking there Einstein. In other words, if the MFC rated the top four as follows:-

1. Whitfield

2. Grundy

3. Toumpas

4. Viney

Then we could only get two of our top three if one of the teams above us elected to nominate Jack ahead of us, theoretically putting themselves at some risk if they were just acting to get up our nose. FWIW I think we would take Viney anyway but the situation is one of great interest not just theoretically.

If GWS or GCS nominate Jack for the fun of it I'm certain it will have repercussions in the future and I'm not sure they would take the step anyway.

• Like 1

If GWS or GCS nominate Jack for the fun of it I'm certain it will have repercussions in the future and I'm not sure they would take the step anyway.

Your point was probably agreed with in an article today, where GC said they didn't want to take Tippet in the PSD, as it could rebound on them in the coming years, when their young players come out of contract. Clearly they are aware of repercussions for an aggressive stance.

Latest news anyway is that Kurt Tippett has issued an official statement via the AFL this morning that he will request a trade to the Sydney Swans.

I thought only FAs could officially request a trade to the AFL

Normal trades i thought were a club-club issue and during the trade period

if player ooc and clubs/player can't agree then [player can go into the draft

Suns will nominate, what do they have to lose? If we pass him up they get Viney, a good pick up. If we take him they get Toumpas/Grundy, good pick ups. If they pass we get one of Toumpas/Grundy and Viney at 26. They cant let a future premiership threat get a player like Viney at 26

Suns will nominate, what do they have to lose? .......They cant let a future premiership threat get a player like Viney at 26

If the Suns have not planned to have Viney in their side than they have alot to lose by picking him. A huge amont of effotrt, planning and thought goes into choosing draft picks and there is a massive risk picking a player to basically spite another club. If we don't take him they're stuck with him and we essentially get the 2nd pick in the draft.

That's huge for us, particularly as many pundits suggest Viney would fo perhaps somewhere 8-10. All their plans will be around a specific player as they know Whitfield will go one. And i bet they don't rate Viney the second best player in the draft. Huge risk and they won't take it. He'll go second round.

As for benefiting us they don't want to start a war with us, its bad business. Caddy will be just the first of many Victorian players coming out of contract who might want o come home. The last thing the Suns need is a Victorian club targeting those players.

Its funny in a way. If they nominate him with the expectation that we will take him it is form of draft tampering, albeit one they would get away with

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

with GC seemingly missing out on Tippet, it doesn't bode well for Viney coming to us with pick 26.

It makes no difference, as Gold Coast were never going to offer up pick 2 for a player that they can take for nothing in the PSD. The Suns would have traded with Adelaide, because they're mindful of future ramifications, but it was never going to be pick 2.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Your point was probably agreed with in an article today, where GC said they didn't want to take Tippet in the PSD, as it could rebound on them in the coming years, when their young players come out of contract. Clearly they are aware of repercussions for an aggressive stance.

I think this is a very good point. The last thing they will want is a Melbourne based club with mountains of salary cap room to be angry and hell bent on stealing GC's kids.

But we'll see on Monday.

Why? It's out of our hands, no matter how many transparent PR 'smoke screens' we try to play. Do you think anything we tell GC will truly influence their decision on Monday? They made up their minds a long time ago. FWIW, if I were them I would certainly bid for him with a first rounder and I'm sure they will.

Sorry the point I was trying to make was that was the issue that supporters are struggling with. WE want 4 first round picks... if the club had been more successful in 2012, we wouldn't have even been in the position, and wouldn't be concerned, but we are, and we are....

It wasn't referring to the clubs... sorry if I wasn't clear there.

I thought only FAs could officially request a trade to the AFL

Normal trades i thought were a club-club issue and during the trade period

if player ooc and clubs/player can't agree then [player can go into the draft

You're right there and like Caddy a player can request all they want but in the end it is up to the clubs doing a deal or it's off to the draft. If he went to the draft I don't think Tippett would slide through to the Swans like Ball to the Pies a few years back, we would have to take him at pick 13/14 if he hadn't already been taken by the Doggies, Carlton or any of the other clubs in between.

I think this is a very good point. The last thing they will want is a Melbourne based club with mountains of salary cap room to be angry and hell bent on stealing GC's kids.

But we'll see on Monday.

Agree. It gets back to them taking all the risk for little reward. If it was Melbourne in their position I wouldn't want us making that sort of a move it makes no sense.

But we'll see on Monday.

It's not the surfer boys that concern me.....it's those western ferals , ESP after getting dudded with you know who. their Martian leader can't be trusted !!!

It's not the surfer boys that concern me.....it's those western ferals , ESP after getting dudded with you know who. their Martian leader can't be trusted !!!

Why would they risk the stand out player of the draft going to GC for a move that would give them little benefit?

I'm not worried about GWS at all.

In a game of brinkmanship bluff plays a large part. Gws probably don't want Jack but they could force our hand.

They cant let a future premiership threat get a player like Viney at 26

Who? Us?

Do you really think any other club looks at us as a possible threat?

Viney - no matter how good he ends up - is just one player. We need about ten.

If they bid it's because they see him as a valuable get, not because they have some vague fear of running into us deep in September 2017.

Guest neeldstherealdeal

If the Suns have not planned to have Viney in their side than they have alot to lose by picking him. A huge amont of effotrt, planning and thought goes into choosing draft picks and there is a massive risk picking a player to basically spite another club. If we don't take him they're stuck with him and we essentially get the 2nd pick in the draft.

That's huge for us, particularly as many pundits suggest Viney would fo perhaps somewhere 8-10. All their plans will be around a specific player as they know Whitfield will go one. And i bet they don't rate Viney the second best player in the draft. Huge risk and they won't take it. He'll go second round.

As for benefiting us they don't want to start a war with us, its bad business. Caddy will be just the first of many Victorian players coming out of contract who might want o come home. The last thing the Suns need is a Victorian club targeting those players.

Its funny in a way. If they nominate him with the expectation that we will take him it is form of draft tampering, albeit one they would get away with

Nice meandering argument but they'll still nominate him because they know we'll pick him at 3. End of.

• Like 1

Nice meandering argument but they'll still nominate him because they know we'll pick him at 3. End of.

Rangey you're back!

They cant let a future premiership threat get a player like Viney at 26

A future what? Going on our current form over the last 5-6 yrs, we will be playing Jack Viney's son when this happens. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Edited by Moonshadow

So how dose it work, this Monday when we go to the father and son meeting we nominate Viney and on the day if the sun's or GWS say they want him we have to take him at our first pick.

Is this right?

So how dose it work, this Monday when we go to the father and son meeting we nominate Viney and on the day if the sun's or GWS say they want him we have to take him at our first pick.

Is this right?

Other way round. They call out the player's name and wait for a club to bid in draft order. If there is a bid, the father/son club then agrees to use its next normal pick or the club that bids has him. End of story. If no one bids at all you can take him with your last pick in the draft.

Process for the 3 F/S players should take about 5 minutes all up.

The interesting feature could be which player goes first.

Edited by Redleg

Is this right?

I believe he's already been nominated.

I think it'll be draft order to see who wants to bid for him(?). Fingers crossed it won't be one of the first two teams!

Other way round. They call out the player's name and wait for a club to bid in draft order. If there is a bid, the father/son club then agrees to use its next normal pick or the club that bids has him. End of story. If no one bids at all you can take him with your last pick in the draft.

Process for the 3 F/S players should take about 5 minutes all up.

The interesting feature could be which player goes first.

Ok so we have to wait for the draft till we find out the out come.

So another month of this conversation, Dame.