• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

1 minute ago, Swooper1987 said:

Hardly the end of the world.  Brisbane are an excellent team, very unlucky not to be the reigning premiers.  Their "poor" start to the season has been significantly overblown.  They have won the inside 50 count in every game they've played.  A couple of teams have kicked insanely accurately against them. They were never out of form as the media would have us believe.  We got beaten where it matters most, and beaten easily.  The limp performance of our mids was the reason we lost.  Neale, Dunkley, Rayner and McCluggage (with Berry) absolutely smoked (to use a Steven May term) Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Sparrow.  That is the game in a nutshell.  The odds of our midfield being beaten that badly again, all on the same night, are slim indeed.

For those criticizing anything at all about Gawn's game last night, have a good hard look at the replay and then yourselves.  McInerney is a good AFL ruckman who is as honest as the day is long and Max tore him apart. Gawn's tap work is elite.  We lost a lot of clearance from our mid's fumbles, overpossessing or simply actually losing contest.  If Gawn didn't play last night, that's a 10 goal plus loss everyday of the week. 8 clearances to the big man was better than anything anyone else on our side could do.

McDonald is looking like Tom of old (final year of his contract - he's done this before!) Kudos to him.  Might have been worth a shift forward at half time, but in reality our defence held up well given the amount of ball they saw.  Can understand why Goodwin didn't shift him.

Pickett is a huge loss, as we all know.  We can't afford for him to be missing games. We look completely different with him out there. Expecting a big bounce after the bye.

Couldn't agree more on Max. I don't know what more you could have wanted from a ruckman as one of our mids last night. 

And I won't put it totally on the effort of the mids, the lack of rotations and other 'looks' we were able to have in there like Kozzie, Salem etc hamstrung us. 

T-Mac was outstanding, I was really proud of his endeavour last night and he can hold his head up high.

No panic buttons but a slight smack in the mouth reality check. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Our tall forwards remain a major problem. I know the ball isn't going in there cleanly for them, but they need to create more leads so there's movement and space to utilize.

The epitome of not doing that, or doing so too late, or not being capable of multiple leads laat night was the boundary run of young Caleb and what appeared to be zero players presenting on the lead.  He had a few stationary ahead and yes he fluffed the kick but the only lead in that play (that i saw) was BBB about 5 or 10 seconds too late!

And i'd suggest this is likely down to a pure fitness issue as far as BB is concerned.  You can't expect a player who's continually in a rehab group and probably not getting the yards into him on the track, to play at the required level for a full four quarters.

It eventually comes back to bite him and the team.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

The walk of shame.....

My apologies to you good dlanders who I annoyed or upset last night with my negativity

I'm sorry.

I won't drink and post again.

Two week suspension from game day threads.

The boys tried but we're too tired I think.

Again, I'm sorry.

Ok the punishment is 20 cat of nine tails lashings in public at the MCC carpark to be administered by an experienced lasher our own uncle Bitters

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

22 points is flattering. We were nowhere near it tonight.

Thats a really good point.  Nowhere near our best but only beaten by last years GFs by 4 goals.  Shows how much upside we have.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I had a bad feeling all week about this match, knowing we had a lot of guys sore and banged up. 

what I cannot stomach Is Goodwin’s inability to change the tactics in-game again. We allowed far too much uncontested ball. Their ability to simply pick their way uncontested from their backline to ultimately hitting up a leading forward was really concerning. 

We could potentially try man on man, Port did it against Essendon, but that’s Essendon. Man on man against brisbane probably just creates acres of space for guys to lead in to and opens the corridor.

There was a noticeable demand at times to push the half backs up and shrink the ground.

But the Lions are so well drilled at overlapping numbers and moving in and out of spaces to create kicks.

Even if we were getting smashed we only conceded 12 goals, only 10 to 3/4 time and the worst quarter for goals conceded was the first with 4.

Brisbane are going to posses the ball and move it well, that’s what they do. And they’re going to score.

We were completely smashed at the contest and had no flow in our own ball movement. The transition defending was a far lesser problem in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forever demons said:

Ok the punishment is 20 cat of nine tails lashings in public at the MCC carpark to be administered by an experienced lasher our own uncle Bitters

I reckon we make him sit with the Pies fans at the KB game ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

We could potentially try man on man, Port did it against Essendon, but that’s Essendon. Man on man against brisbane probably just creates acres of space for guys to lead in to and opens the corridor.

There was a noticeable demand at times to push the half backs up and shrink the ground.

But the Lions are so well drilled at overlapping numbers and moving in and out of spaces to create kicks.

Even if we were getting smashed we only conceded 12 goals, only 10 to 3/4 time and the worst quarter for goals conceded was the first with 4.

Brisbane are going to posses the ball and move it well, that’s what they do. And they’re going to score.

We were completely smashed at the contest and had no flow in our own ball movement. The transition defending was a far lesser problem in the scheme of things.

Transition defending is one thing, allowing a ball to waltz in from a kick in and be systematically chipped all the way to the oppo half forward is another. That’s not transition. We were setup. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

The walk of shame.....

My apologies to you good dlanders who I annoyed or upset last night with my negativity

I'm sorry.

Again, I'm sorry.

Meh ... What happens in the gameday thread stays in the gameday thread.
We're there to share the highs and the lows with fellow tragics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

van Rooyen is struggling 

Cannot hold a mark and looks lost 

I actually think he's doing really well for someone his age who is being asked to ruck, when really he shouldn't be.

I think we're asking him to spend too much energy and focus on rucking, covering the ground etc., when what we ideally ought to be doing is letting him spend his entire game perfecting what he needs to perfect, his forward craft.

The ruck gets him into the game sometimes, but every minute he rucks is minutes of time he's not spending working on being a forward.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, D Rev said:

I reckon we make him sit with the Pies fans at the KB game ;)

Yeh nah.  They'll just see him as one of their own if he's stinking of cheap booze and swilling from a brown paper bag.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Our tall forwards remain a major problem. I know the ball isn't going in there cleanly for them, but they need to create more leads so there's movement and space to utilize. Petty, JVR and Brown are all battling for impact. If we had any other options in the VFL you'd drop Petty. JVR has been decent in the ruck but poor up forward. His marking skills seem to have abandoned him. He gets to so many but then has them slip through the hands like Chris Dawes used to.

The thing that [censored] me though is surely as a forward getting manhandled, you can position yourself to earn a free kick. Chance says you'll earn a free kick eventually, to not earn one actually takes effort haha It's mental how many contested they lose without changing tactic. 

Curnow would have to be at the top of the pile in terms of positioning himself to make a free kick more likely thank not. Helps that the umpires fawn all over him. 

25 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

And this is particularly apparent when teams get runs on, which leads to the question, is it because of:

- Pig-headedness?

- A lack of of risk appetite? an aversion to risk? 

- Poor game-day tactics?

- holes in the list? 

- poor game-day selection? or

- a combination of the above? 

This is a lingering issue that's been around for the whole of Goodwin's tenure as head coach IMO. 

a combination of the above? !!!!!

• Haha 1

I knew the game was over as soon as we let Hipwood and Daniher kick the 1st 2 goals.
My only surprise was that Charlie Cameron didn't kick the 3rd.

No surprise Nibbler got our 1st.
Does that quite often.

• Like 1

I was at the game last night and I'm afraid I didn't see lack of interest or effort. I saw that we were up against a talented team and our systems weren't working as they have been. They pressured us and we often fumbled or chose bad options while they were on song and very, very slick.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

He looks 21

He’s had 3 pre seasons. No one’s saying he needs to be playing like Wayne Carey but he’s dropping basic marks and has no forward craft. If he doesn’t lose his man and is flying towards the ball, he has no tricks, very ordinary 1 on 1 and average at ground level. Who knows how good he will be at this stage, it’s up in the air, could go either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

The walk of shame.....

I'm sorry.

Again, I'm sorry.

Good points, I was [censored] off, had a poor sleep. 
But non of us learn much, habits are hard,

will do it all again against Richmond 

just like I was when I was 19

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Good points, I was [censored] off, had a poor sleep. 
But non of us learn much, habits are hard,

will do it all again against Richmond 

just like I was when I was 19

God help me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SthSea22 said:

van Rooyen is struggling 

Cannot hold a mark and looks lost 

Add him to the list, Petty, B Brown, Fritsch got no where near the footy all night.  Our forwards don't work for each other and set up very close together.

Need to drop B Brown, play Fullarton aa a true second ruck and leave JVR and Petty as our true tall forwards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

I knew the game was over as soon as we let Hipwood and Daniher kick the 1st 2 goals.
My only surprise was that Charlie Cameron didn't kick the 3rd.

No surprise Nibbler got our 1st.
Does that quite often.

People were talking bout him being the worst rated player in the comp, and some Lions fans calling for him to be dropped. That first goal really set alarm bells off given the context. What is it about Hipwood? He just has that rare athletic ability that allows for an extra yard of speed and aerial space that can give him the opportunity to get into the game against our defenders. Not quite the Kent Kingsley, but that 4 goal final is going to haunt us until we beat them in a final, or go further.