• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PRESEASON TRAINING: Wednesday 7th February 2024

Have to agree with all said by @Slartibartfast.

The session was just "meh", which perhaps is not unexpected given we don't want to be injuring any more players beyond the 9 sitting in rehab or doing their own thing.  And also we are getting to the serious stage, so all the hard work has been done, so to use @binman's analogy, we are probably tapering.

If we think we had forward line problems at the end of last year, when we have Petty, Fullarton and now McAdam rehabbing with Kossy not available for the first game, there should be a good argument for TMac to fill a forward line gap...but wait! He stood out the session today as well....

The backs in sharp contrast....and it is a sharp contrast....have their cup running over!  Marty Hore, Tomlinson, Howes and Adams are all looking like they could fill any holes and probably more.  But the rest of the regulars in the backline look as good as they have ever been, so where will the gaps happen?  

And I also have to agree with @Slartibartfastabout Kynan Brown.  Sharp, slippery and skilled, he will be a great option at some point...but not this year.  Like all the first year kids, he just doesn't have the strength to exist at the top level.  When you see him and Windsor stand next to Woewodin for example, you truly see what the effect of one year in the system produces from a physical perspective. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 13

17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Great reporting here from Fox Footy not noticing or mentioning Petty leaving the track. You think that would be a bigger story.

I can forgive that because it was clearly written by a junior, inexperieced reporter.  It lacked the usual sensationlism FoxFooty usually goes with.  

• Like 2

Very nice morning for a run around, not too much wind and temperature is perfect. Looks to be about 32 to 34 in full training.

The drills were done with skill and precision. Mainly controlled by Taylor Whitford (VFL coach)

The occasional reference to the super-bowl appeared.

Our new young players lead the way with their skill sets. Windsor, K. Brown, rarely miss, Tholstrup if he slips up, the next action is perfect and the effort he makes is great. Setting great standards. Jefferson has worked well on his tackling, he brought a few down in the sims, taking some marks and getting separation. Sestan doesn't have a defensive game, will need to improve himself through Casey, I reckon.

They continue to rotate quite a few through the mids during sims.

They split into the lines at one stage, mids (McQualter) had Gus, Viney, Tracc, Windsor, Spargo, K.Brown, Langdon, Laurie, Max, KFW, Sparrow, Taj, Verral.

Backs (Chaplin), May, Lever, Adams, McVee, Rivers, Hore, Howes, Bowey, Tomlinson

Forwards (Stafford), JVR, Fritta, Kossie, Billings, Jefferson, ANB, Chandler, Sestan, Tholstrup, Schache.

Loved K.Brown's (untouchable), Sparrow's, (field kicking) Viney's (making links), Adam's (holding JVR), May's, (intercepts) and Max's (marking), during the sims today. Sims were run by Goody.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 20

51 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

It was a beautiful day at Gosch's until the players arrived and it seemed most of our tall forwards sat out training and did little or nothing in the rehab group.  Someone's got the voodoo doll out for our talls as Turner, Tmac and Verrell were all additions to this group since I last saw them and Petty did about 10 minutes and then absolutely nothing. Salem started with light drills and then just did running (mainly with Clarrie) and AMW, who had just worked his way out of rehab was back there. McAdam was also a new addition. At least Steven May did the whole session unhindered.  But the number in rehab is not good at this time of year.

The session itself was as low key as I've seen this year.  There were few high intensity drills before ball movement drills (match sim is a very glorified description) and these drills were at about 75% intensity I reckon.  Of course it's all part of the plan I guess and with matches against Richmond and Carlton not too far away perhaps it's to freshen up, who knows.

Some players to catch the eye:

Adams:  there was some high marking practice and Adams was the stand out with several strong marks against the likes of Verrell, Schache and Tomlinson.  He's got very good hands and he's come on in leaps and bounds from last year.  You'd think the third tall at the moment would be between Tommo and Hore but Adams is putting his name forward.

KBrown:  I couldn't be more impressed with what I've seen from this kid over the preseason.  He's involved, he's clean and his skills are sound but the most impressive thing is he looks comfortable at the pace and finds the ball really easily.  He's a string bean above the waist but his lateral movement is really good and he's learning what he can do and what he can't.

Viney: tried to do too much on occasions and got caught a couple of times but looks set for a really good season.

Chandler:  involved a lot and kicked really well for goal slotting a few from very tight angles. I think he's stepped up from last year and hope he can maintain his form for longer this year.

Sparrow:  did the whole session in a rare bit of good news.

Kossie:  did some really magical Kossie things when the ball was on the ground, what a shame about the suspension.

Seston:  is improving.  He's getting more involved and looks like his running has improved and he's got great kicking skills.  He was last on the track with JvR practicing his goal kicking and was doing it very well from a variety of angles and distances.  He's also getting more involved in general play but today even I could have got a kick (perhaps!)

KfW: in match sims he's against Max and just gets a lesson and he seems to have trouble judging the ball in the air to compete but perhaps Max is just too good.  But he's improved a lot since last year and he won't die wondering if he could have done more to make it.

All players had their moments.  The regular senior boys just went about their business and blokes like Howes, Laurie, Woey, Windsor and The Kolt all showed their skills but really this session just seemed to be a loosener and I'm not reading too much into it.  A prime indicator is it's the first session where Trac didn't seem head and shoulders above the rest.

I'll be interested to read others opinion as perhaps I'm being too harsh, but that's the way I saw it.

Surely Disco if not injured would Benin the mix for the third defender also on his pre season form and final game last year on the SCG vs Swans.

• Like 1

Popped in for the session also. Others have covered a fair bit. 
Thought Jefferson was really intense with his tackling in the short match-sim, brought a few down.

Kozzie is electrifying no matter the setting. 
Billings was getting quite a few touches and delivered well into the 50.

K Brown will be a ripper I feel. 

Ran into one of the volunteers after the session on the tram and asked about Petty. He said it was a slight niggle and should be ok. Petty just gets down on himself when he feels something. Hoping for a return soon. 

Clarrie was great with the few kids waiting for photos and signatures afterwards. 

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 18

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

C,mon WCW you know u want to be an agent provocateur just like me! Cmon Gal! I am Maxwell Smart, cmon 99!

Sorry Maxwell, I spent the morning with Hymie. Nothing suss, just working on some spy stuff.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4
  • Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Ran into one of the volunteers after the session on the tram and asked about Petty. He said it was a slight niggle and should be ok. Petty just gets down on himself when he feels something. Hoping for a return soon. 

👍🏽 Harry told me it’s nothing (new) to worry about, it’s just the “same ongoing niggle.”

I asked why he looked so dejected at the time and he said it’s just him… he gets frustrated and lets it get to him. Which makes sense because he was back to his happy, upbeat self not long after. 🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Sorry Maxwell, I spent the morning with Hymie. Nothing suss, just working on some spy stuff.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Don't call me Hymie .😀

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, poita said:

I'm really not seeing what the club saw in McAdam - regularly injured, lacks fitness and turns 29 in a few months. Hope he comes cheap.

Disappointing to hear that Petty is still miles off.

SM23 is currently not injured. It’s no secret his fitness level was low when he came to us and that this is the main focus when training. He has improved immensely since the first week of December but is honest and admits to needing to up his fitness level so much more. He’s 29 which is not exactly old-man territory. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, SthSea22 said:

Geez i really hope McAdam is one of those blokes who we can't get 100% fit

Why would you say that? He’s putting in so much hard work to get his level of fitness up, and it shows. He’s come such a long way in two months.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just now, WalkingCivilWar said:

Why would you say that? He’s putting in so much hard work to get his level of fitness up, and it shows. He’s come such a long way in two months.

The OP said he is in the rehab team and not looking flash 

• Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

The forward line problem shouldn't be a problem just go smaller. Schache is no good simple as that.

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Bowey, Tomlinson, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Billings, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Spargo, Fritsch, Chandler

IC: Howes, Sparrow, Laurie, Woewodin

SUB: Hore

We are running out of men, thought it would be a while before I see Hore play senior footy. With Salem, Oliver, Pickett, Petty, B. Brown, Turner, and McAdam possibly out he could get his chance.

Edited by WERRIDEE
  • Like 1

With Salem running laps with Oliver, I wonder whether Salem is really rehabbing something or just being used as company for Oliver as he continues with his re-integration. It would make sense to me if the club was helping Oliver by making sure he wasn't always doing the boring stuff (running laps) on his own. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, SthSea22 said:

The OP said he is in the rehab team and not looking flash 

He’s training separately purely to focus on improving his fitness level. No injury, no niggle. No one can say for sure if he’ll ever reach 100% fitness but believe me it won’t be for want of trying. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

The forward line problem shouldn't be a problem just go smaller. Schache is no good simple as that.

B: Lever, May, McVee

HB: Bowey, Tomlinson, Rivers

C: Windsor, Petracca, Langdon

HF: Billings, van Rooyen, Neal-Bullen

F: Spargo, Fritsch, Chandler

IC: Howes, Sparrow, Laurie, Woewodin

SUB: Hore

We are running out of men, thought it would be a while before I see him play senior footy. With Salem, Oliver, Pickett, Petty, B. Brown, Turner, and McAdam possibly out he could get his chance.

I reckon we'd be  better with some onballers, too.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I’ve got PTSD from last Friday’s training thread. 😭

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

With Salem running laps with Oliver, I wonder whether Salem is really rehabbing something or just being used as company for Oliver as he continues with his re-integration. It would make sense to me if the club was helping Oliver by making sure he wasn't always doing the boring stuff (running laps) on his own. 

Salem did so much conditioning in his off-season that he can now stagger his pre-season which the club are now particularly keen to do given his history of thyroid related illness. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

That's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

From the training sessions I have attended on Wednesdays and from what I have read from other training reports on the other days Salem is doing all the warm ups and non-contact drills and is not involved in any of the contact/tackling drills/SIMs.

He looks super fit and runs laps at a quick pace and does not look hindered at all. So why none of the contact training?

If he was up to the contact stuff wouldn't you have him in the mix training with the team to hone the team connection rather than pull him out of that to be a running mate for Oliver. A trainer could do that. If your contention is that they are paring him up with a good buddy I don't think they would do that at the expense of not playing/training a key player in the team.

I think there must be another reason Salem isn't competing in the contact parts of training.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

A great day to be in Melbourne, the sun is warm, the breeze is cool, the grass is green and the footballers are out and about.

TBH those who have already reported have covered it well but...

Number of observers down from last week, probably because the schools are totally back, and no obvious media.

The difference between Clarrie this week and last week was that he was moving quicker, start off with a fast jog then sprint. Did some kicking with Fullarton and another.  Ended up with Salo running the boundary.

BBB - running the boundary, look great, then not so as he tired.  Moving well clearly building a fitness base.

Fullarton - moving well for someone who had a serious hammy; running freely around the boundary and had a kick with Clarry

Mcadam - doing my type of training, walking the boundary then finished up running the boundary with Reece Conca

TMc and Disco - had an interesting drill whereby you threw the ball at the other as hard as possible from a couple of metres.  They seemed to enjoy it especially when they scored a hit.

Melky - on the bike, which I assumed was loaded, as he did like 10 sec bursts.  And one for the ladies - shirt off.

Petty - not so happy.  With a foot injury, everyone comes up and stares at your foot, even if you are wearing a boot.  What do they expect to see?  But then even I was doing it.

AMW - relentless running on the boundary.

Match sim - 30 + in it .  Schache up forward.  Windsor to play round 1 with that talent.  Kynan plays with intensity.  Sparrow looked slim next to Trac.

One of the coaches awarded Lever a free kick - thats blown his quota for the year.

Go Dees

• Like 13
  • Thanks 15

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

It was a beautiful day at Gosch's until the players arrived and it seemed most of our tall forwards sat out training and did little or nothing in the rehab group.  Someone's got the voodoo doll out for our talls as Turner, Tmac and Verrell were all additions to this group since I last saw them and Petty did about 10 minutes and then absolutely nothing. Salem started with light drills and then just did running (mainly with Clarrie) and AMW, who had just worked his way out of rehab was back there. McAdam was also a new addition. At least Steven May did the whole session unhindered.  But the number in rehab is not good at this time of year.

The session itself was as low key as I've seen this year.  There were few high intensity drills before ball movement drills (match sim is a very glorified description) and these drills were at about 75% intensity I reckon.  Of course it's all part of the plan I guess and with matches against Richmond and Carlton not too far away perhaps it's to freshen up, who knows.

Some players to catch the eye:

Adams:  there was some high marking practice and Adams was the stand out with several strong marks against the likes of Verrell, Schache and Tomlinson.  He's got very good hands and he's come on in leaps and bounds from last year.  You'd think the third tall at the moment would be between Tommo and Hore but Adams is putting his name forward.

KBrown:  I couldn't be more impressed with what I've seen from this kid over the preseason.  He's involved, he's clean and his skills are sound but the most impressive thing is he looks comfortable at the pace and finds the ball really easily.  He's a string bean above the waist but his lateral movement is really good and he's learning what he can do and what he can't.

Viney: tried to do too much on occasions and got caught a couple of times but looks set for a really good season.

Chandler:  involved a lot and kicked really well for goal slotting a few from very tight angles. I think he's stepped up from last year and hope he can maintain his form for longer this year.

Sparrow:  did the whole session in a rare bit of good news.

Kossie:  did some really magical Kossie things when the ball was on the ground, what a shame about the suspension.

Seston:  is improving.  He's getting more involved and looks like his running has improved and he's got great kicking skills.  He was last on the track with JvR practicing his goal kicking and was doing it very well from a variety of angles and distances.  He's also getting more involved in general play but today even I could have got a kick (perhaps!)

KfW: in match sims he's against Max and just gets a lesson and he seems to have trouble judging the ball in the air to compete but perhaps Max is just too good.  But he's improved a lot since last year and he won't die wondering if he could have done more to make it.

All players had their moments.  The regular senior boys just went about their business and blokes like Howes, Laurie, Woey, Windsor and The Kolt all showed their skills but really this session just seemed to be a loosener and I'm not reading too much into it.  A prime indicator is it's the first session where Trac didn't seem head and shoulders above the rest.

I'll be interested to read others opinion as perhaps I'm being too harsh, but that's the way I saw it.

Thanks startafartlast for a great report. Much appreciated and great insight

• Like 4
  • Haha 1