Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Operation Mihocek & Frampton

adonski

Was getting shouted down mid year for talking up how good Mihocek is for Collingwood from a structure point of view.

Very underrated forward of the competition. 

Their recruitment has been absolutely spot on. They recruited for speed and when and got Bobby Hill who just fits perfectly into their game plan alongside Tom Mitchell who gave them inside hardness that they lacked last year.

They'll only get better.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Was getting shouted down mid year for talking up how good Mihocek is for Collingwood from a structure point of view.

Their recruitment has been absolutely spot on. They recruited for speed and when and got Bobby Hill who just fits perfectly into their game plan alongside Tom Mitchell who gave them inside hardness that they lacked last year.

They'll only get better.

We can beat them -we did once and almost did the second time - they hold no fear for us.

Edited by Ollie fan
  • Like 6
  • Clap 2

1 minute ago, Ollie fan said:

We can beat them -we did once and almost did the second time - they hold no fear for us.

I know.

But seeing them just win a premiership doesn't make that any sweeter at all.

I don't care if we can beat them or not, all that matters is who stands up in September which we've been chokers the last 2 years and that's not a good tag to carry.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vomit 1

Brodie lives around the corner from me. He’s a really nice guy (who grows some of the best Lemons in the neighbourhood). Every time I see him I’m always amazed at how thin he is. There’s nothing to the modern player, even the big blokes.

He’s a really good player, that’s worked super hard for his chance and is incredibly professional. I’d love him at the Dees.

• Like 13

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree. Efficiency and goal kicking is the key.  Frampton perhaps the worst player ever to play in a winning grand final.  Ginnivan perhaps the 2nd worst.  That’s why John Noble is crying !!! 

What a load of rubbish - Collingwood weren’t efficient and kicked terribly in front of goal 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They'll only get better.

Agree with everything but the last bit.  I don't think they do.  They are a very experienced list.  Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe are all at the end.  One year tops and probably a declining year.  DeGoey is always  one big night away from being finished.  Cox and Cameron are unreliable.  Adams injury prone.  They have a lot of grit, are well coached and have a couple of superstar father sons but they won three finals by 12 points in total.  I think others might get better quicker.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They'll only get better.

Pendles and Sidebottom will drop off soon I hope. Mitchell’s had a couple of important finals but is really close to being ineffective, just does enough of what he’s good at in tight. They’ve got some concerns. And their young mids haven’t been good so far, although I remain very high on Ed Allan.

Mihocek was meant to be key defensive depth, he’s been excellent despite his quiet game today. Always competes.

Howe was meant to be their gun forward, has become a gun defender.

Not sure what the list build lesson is there.

If anything I guess the lesson is take chances on guys with upside if they combine contested effort and athleticism.

Bobby Hill a great pick up. Markov a lovely freebie on the day he was meant to sign with Carlton. McCreery a super pick.

Would like to see our list team identify and take some chances. Kelly O’Donnell’s probably in to his long nap time though so I doubt we will 

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

Agree with everything but the last bit.  I don't think they do.  They are a very experienced list.  Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe are all at the end.  One year tops and probably a declining year.  DeGoey is always  one big night away from being finished.  Cox and Cameron are unreliable.  Adams injury prone.  They have a lot of grit, are well coached and have a couple of superstar father sons but they won three finals by 12 points in total.  I think others might get better quicker.

Yes to three close wins but they play knowing big games are close and train for it better than anyone else. Its how basketballlers have trained and played for decades. We are way, way behind their last minutes system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

They'll only get better.

I agree with every point except 'they'll only get better'.

They're old. They have absolutely white-knuckled it for salary cap space. Being able to get full seasons out of all their veterans, plus the Daicos f/s, has papered over a pretty weak five or six years of drafting partly caused by their very smart targeting of suitable role-players.

They went all in on 'now', and they've done it extremely well and full respect to them for the courage to go hard. But even getting it right has a price.

I certainly don't think they're going to fall off a cliff all of a sudden. I expect them to be in contention again next season if they can retain and play most of their veterans. But the prospect for actual improvement is limited.

• Like 4

They like most recent GF teams have had relatively good luck with injury to key players. When Daicos went late in season, it was no surprise they started loosing. Lets see how they back it up next year with a limited pre-season and slogging it out for a whole year with an aging list. I fully expect them to compete but they'll come back to the pack - not that they were miles in front anyway. 

They will get even more attention next year with every team coming up with and/or refining the blueprint to beat them. They will get a difficult draw. There will be no easy games for them next year (bar West Coast). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

They like most recent GF teams have had relatively good luck with injury to key players. When Daicos went late in season, it was no surprise they started loosing. Lets see how they back it up next year with a limited pre-season and slogging it out for a whole year with an aging list. I fully expect them to compete but they'll come back to the pack - not that they were miles in front anyway. 

They will get even more attention next year with every team coming up with and/or refining the blueprint to beat them. They will get a difficult draw. There will be no easy games for them next year (bar West Coast). 

Not sure about that. They are playing to a system and players want to play at Collingwood. The supporters are worth 3 goals in ordinary finals, maybe one in a GF. We have catching up to do. Brisbane went close but i think they are not in such a good place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Lol.. bet you were saying that last year.

Pay respect where it's due. They find ways to win games. Their senior leaders were the ones who have stood up all finals stark difference to ours.

They have a system that McRea has found that suits their playing list. They'll continue to add and top up with players because they're attractive destination and McRea has show he's willing to give you a go regardless if you're a delisted free agent like Markov or not.

Meanwhile Goody brings in Dunstan and Schache and flat out refuses to play them.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, adonski said:

Pretty definitive proof of the giant myth of the key forward and their impact on success

Efficiency is King, speed kills, and hopefully our trade & draft period reflect that thinking....!

I knew it was a terrible mistake letting go of Mitch Brown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Really?

Travel interstate every second week early in the season, play at Mordor, Tasmania??    Not bloody likely.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, adonski said:

Pretty definitive proof of the giant myth of the key forward and their impact on success

Efficiency is King, speed kills, and hopefully our trade & draft period reflect that thinking....!

12.18 is hardly efficient, in fact it's a lot like out game style.  More entries = more chance to score.

• Like 1