• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Exit interviews 2023

buck_nekkid

3 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

I'd tread carefully with Kossie in that regard. We need more x factor in our forward line not less. Everything about our game plan is predictable, he isn't.

I would ban him from jumping in any contest.  Front and square or out the back only

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, ucanchoose said:

I would ban him from jumping in any contest.  Front and square or out the back only

If Kozzie was flying for marks which he basically never takes then falling over i would agree with you but he makes a contest and stops the oppositions Jake Levers taking intercept marks. He is still buzzing around creating pressure when he lands after his failed attempt. He can't create an effective contest with his height without flying for it.

I'm more concerned about bigger players who don't make it to the contest and are less effective when the ball in on the ground.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

18 hours ago, wisedog said:

But it was also obvious that Gawn and Jackson were never a ruck/forward powerhouse. I think they kicked only 6 goals collectively in the latter half of 2022. I just don’t understand why we thought Grundy could be an improvement on that or why we were hellbent on replicating that dynamic.

As we all know, we were actually crying out for a competent key forward. But they don’t grow on trees, and who knows, if we had got one, we may not have had the opportunity to see what Petty was capable of.

Exactly and why we need to find a KPF and should've attempted to at the end of 22.

Max doesn't kick many goals.  1 goal every second match (on average).

Jackson had pretty much switched off in the second half of 22.  His mind was in Perth, body in Melb.  I suspect Goodwin learned from this and that's why he refused to play Grundy latterly.

In hindsight, Jackson's disappearing act in the second half of 2022 was very costly for the whole team and club.

We were basically playing a man down in most of the matches he played.

In 2021 Jackson averaged 0.7 goals per match

2022   0.5

2023   1.0

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Salem's not going anywhere FFS

No way Salem is going anywhere. Just look at what he has been through this year with illness. He admits he is under his playing weight by over 5 kg and in an interview on SEN the other day said he had a commitment to the Club and his play this year was heavily compromised by his illness.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Exactly and why we need to find a KPF and should've attempted to at the end of 22.

Jackson had pretty much switched off in the second half of 22.  His mind was in Perth, body in Melb.  I suspect Goodwin learned from this and that's why he refused to play Grundy latterly.

In hindsight, Jackson's disappearing act in the second half of 2022 was very costly for the whole team and club.

2022   0.5

2023   1.0

Jackson would have been a better player in the Demons 22 rather than Freemantle in 2023 season I feel.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, David-Demon said:

No way Salem is going anywhere. Just look at what he has been through this year with illness. He admits he is under his playing weight by over 5 kg and in an interview on SEN the other day said he had a commitment to the Club and his play this year was heavily compromised by his illness.

👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Older demon said:

For all we know Grund may have already left the building emotionally and that is why he wasn't selected. BBB may not physically be able to continue, heck we have no surety that Petty will overcome a serious foot injury. I hope that the players have self assessed themselves and know what they want moving forward.

Agree with all of this. I would love to think that Petty will be back fit and firing, but these foot injuries seem to take a long time to get over. It may not be quite so bad with a player like him who is not totally dependent on mobility though. 

I am sure that you are right about Grundy. I think Jackson really let us down last year and i am quite angry about it - all that stuff about "i haven't decided" when we now know he absolutely had, and to my mind he really didn't put in, especially against Brisbane. Reading between the lines, i think Goodwin must think the same and that is why he didn't select Grundy in either of our finals, even as a sub. I don't blame Grundy like i do Jackson, though; we were pushing Grundy out really. And i assume that is why Goodwin didn't select Hibberd, despite his excellent work on Elliott.

Edited by Ollie fan
  • Like 5

Salem won't be traded, but in my view he should be moved into the midfield. we have all the grunt in the world but lack some class in there. people keep complaining about the bombing it long, but that's all Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Sparrow, Langdon. none of these guys are above average field kicks. 

If you look at the Pies, Pendles, Sidebottom, both Daicos boys, Crisp. they're all significantly better kicks than any of our mids. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, ucanchoose said:

And if it's kicked to a 1v1 where Kozzy is the small on a tall interceptor, he should just let them intercept it in the air, uncontested?

Righto.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Salem won't be traded, but in my view he should be moved into the midfield. we have all the grunt in the world but lack some class in there. people keep complaining about the bombing it long, but that's all Viney, Oliver, Petracca, Sparrow, Langdon. none of these guys are above average field kicks. 

If you look at the Pies, Pendles, Sidebottom, both Daicos boys, Crisp. they're all significantly better kicks than any of our mids. 

Rivers, Bowey and Salem moving through there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

2022   0.5

2023   1.0

That’s a really interesting point - I hadn’t thought of it that way. Maybe explains why TMac was named, even though it was obvious in the Pies game, that he was done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David-Demon said:

That's all well and good, but why was Salem playing every week? It's not as though there was no one available to fill his role.

As for suggestions he can play midfield, that's not going to happen. He has lost any speed he once had, and has spent two years avoiding heavy contact.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Rivers, Bowey and Salem moving through there?

I would like to see Bowey on a wing, extremely smart footballer that uses the ball well, not sure on his tank though.

The other side do we move Brayshaw to the wing to play a more outside role to protect his head a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3183 Dee said:

That’s a really interesting point - I hadn’t thought of it that way. Maybe explains why TMac was named, even though it was obvious in the Pies game, that he was done.

Unfortunatley yes.  The cupboard was bare.

However, was it truly bare?  We never contested the JVR penalty.  I believe most other finals clubs would've hotly contested that.  And i reckon select clubs may have gotten the penalty lifted.  Carlton have success here almost every time and they contest as a matter of course.

Too meek and mild.  Step it up MFC!!

Club needs to conduct its own exit interview from this finals series.

In particular...

👉🏼 The sub par performance from about 2/3rds of the team vs the Pies in a final which may have seen us sitting pretty right now waiting out for our rival to be played at the G this Friday/Saturday!  Reasoning?  Club psychologist may need to get involved here.

👉🏼 The selection of Schache as the sub against the Blues.  Reasoning?  Given the refusal to sub him and continue with T-Mac while rucking Tracc up forward.  Kozzy to FF!!??

👉🏼 The last 2 minutes debacle

👉🏼 The non - contesting of the Roohey penalty.

👉🏼 The constant desire from Simon to play smalls / small mediums in key positions such as CHF & FF for stints?  I'm not talking post Petty injury either.  This was happening througout the season and even in some matches in 2022.

👉🏼 The constant failing of the forward line vs the rest of the team, injuries aside, how are players still consistently missing set shots from directly in front within about 30 meters?  Small forwards not making the distance from 30/35!!

Another example,  Salem missing from 35 ish on the run vs the Pies directly in front.

Max &  Joel choosing to kick a straight punt when tight on the boundary on their preferred side in the third against the Blues when the around the corner snap is surely the more accurate and preferred method by most players now!??

Just one of those goes through and we're into a prelim!

It's a constant theme with so many of our players.

Not a Simon witch hunt either.  The entire FD needs reviewing.

Where can we improve?  Can we get better line coaches and or skills coaching in in order to improve!??

Stick some massive speakers out at Casey and hit the boys with wallls of crowd noise while they practice their shots including full on booing!  Leave no stone unturned.

A full and comprehensive review of the list also.  No more ball hackers and sluggish mids pls.

If we don't conduct a serious review of the 22/23 debacle i can assure you many clubs will go past us and we will rue this period and generation of players as a massive lost opportunity to snare a second cup within years of 2021.

It's by no means panic stations but substantial  improvement and some adjustments to FD personel and clever list management are needed from here IF we're to stay near the top and remain in the hunt.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

21 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

On the topic of exit interviews, who do we think are tradeable players?

Salem, JJ, any other?

I would never trade Salem. The challenge with Salem is finding a role for him that benefits the team. We need the ball in his hands as much as possible. Would love to see him moved into the midfield.

• Like 1

Salem is great, silly people.  

Practice the goalkicking FFS we kicked 17 points, would have won by multiple goals if we'd kicked a quarter of those properly!  Oh and don't give away dumb frees, discipline please, DISCIPLINE!!!  That goes for all the young kids, especially JVR and Kozzie.  You are part of a team, don't forget that please.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 11:38 AM, buck_nekkid said:

If you were doing the exit interviews, what would be a key message that you would want delivered to a particular player? Where would you want them to focus in the off season to improve?

Verall: More Fitness and marking, getting to contests to be improved

Jefferson: More muscle mass and hit more contests.

Howes:  More fitness and strength to challenge for a wing spot in 24

(etc)

Then there are ones like “enjoy your retirement” to BBB, TMAc, Hibbo, Melk, etc, and ‘enjoy the Harbour views, Grundy”

What messages would you give?

Learn to kick and lower your eyes when entering forward 50.

• Like 2

Petracca - absolutely star once again and should win the B&F. ️Great ballwinner and midfield bull who was pushed forward to create or kick goals. Tackling still an issue and his goalkicking confidence (28.36) needs a boost with set shots problem continuing 

Viney - had a great year and should be runner up in B&F.  ️Midfield bull.  Tackling a highlight. Contested ballwinner. Disposal still 50/50 and needs to work again on that  

Gawn - The best ruckman in the league. Huge heart. Injured early and then shared rucking.  Once he was no1 he was huge. An outstanding leader

Oliver - was a star again until injury and that 7 weeks out curtailed his year. Got back for the late year and finals to show his star power ️. He’s still probably the best Contested ball winner in the comp but his poor delivery and non effective handball let him down  

Brayshaw - strong year and regained more midfield time.  ️Definitely a huge loss in the finals. 
Hope he can continue but fully understand if he decides that is retirement for his future and his family

May - Excellent year. He’s still going strong.  

But Boring kick in to 50 metres out in left is so predictable in kick outs and opposition knows it every time.  Need to get better strategy. 

Rivers - again developed into a running defender and able to both use pace and run plus defend strongly.  ️Love his energy. Still a defender imv but can play attacking springboard role

Lever - another good year. He’s the backline captain. Played better as 3rd tall and spoiling/controlling areas  

McVee - impressed all year with his poise and skill. Still learning and developing but was a first year revelation

Hibberd - clearly his body let him down but whenever he played, he gave his all and destroyed many small forwards  ️ Retired with his head held high 👏👏✈️

Fritsch - he was very good in patches (38 goals) and then inconsistent with goalkicking. Overall needed more impact and desire for the footy. Good but we think he’s got more to give imv

Petty - had a great year either as KFB or KFF.️ Injuries again were disappointing and his season ending injury hurt our premiership chances 

van Rooyen - still raw but a great first year performance. ️ Love his marking and goalkicking.  Big future ahead and love to see Dees support him with more experienced forward coaches

Pickett - his good is very good but his poor days were disappointing. Love his excitement and energy if directed at the footy . ️Still a match winner with his pace and goal scoring (37.30) but his output dropped in too many games and discipline a problem

Bowey - skills very good and needs to use through corridor more; lost some 1-1s but overall had a good year. Still only 21  

Langdon - new look but didn’t regularly give us his usual output. Now sits in the boundary line and kicks down the line to a negative contest.  Ask him to step 15 metes inboard to firstly use the corridor and give himself better room to run. Still very import team member.

Hunter - brought in and given 100% wing role to compliment Lingers. Had good year overall but often too wide and too slow to move the footy. Needs to improve to keep the role.  

Neal-Bullen -  another consistent, but not outstanding year ️ More a defensive half forward who doesn’t hit the scoreboard (19 goals, 25 games) but he’s running and tackling is an asset. He’s a midfielder playing half fwd really  

Sparrow - was again on the edge of being very good. ️Consistent performance throughout the year as a fringe midfielder and occasionally half forward.  Big preseason ahead and can be better  

Melksham - out of the team but took his chances to be a key goalkicker️Cruel injury kept him out of finals. One more year imv 

J Smith - pushed himself into the team late in the year and showed he is versatile as a back and a forward. Not quite either but definitely very handy player

Spargo - with a lack of goals and ball winning eventually saw him dropped. (11 goals in 14 games) Got back for semi and showed more bounce but overall probably went backwards

Chandler - started well and was a reliable goalkicker. After cemented his place, he failed with inconsistency and lack of goals. Back on the margins now and not in best 22  

Salem - a disappointing year and seemed not to be 100% fit.  Lost his skill and reverted to high helicopter kicks.  Overall an average season

Laurie - given late chances and perhaps lucky he’s got contract for 2024. Midfielder or small forward? Not sure. Could help us with ball use if he gets chance  🙏🏽

Woewodin - got 4 games and definitely liked his run and decision making. Strangely omitted when I thought extra games were helping his development. Can push for more games in 2024 🙏🏽

D Turner - another year that showed promise but injury and selectors befuddled behavior cost him.  Was given games then immediately dropped.  Determination and marking power gives him a future imv. Hope MFC gives him games in 2024 🙏🏽

Schache -  low cost pickup who showed why didn’t make it at the Dogs.  Low intensity.  Low physical pressure or presence.  Got another year due to lack of our KPF options. Got limited opportunities but was poor overall  💩

Tomlinson - not a friend of the selectors, he got chances and played good games but was dropped or overlooked far too many times.  🤔Strong defender who did his job and had his moments. May look for more favourable opportunities elsewhere and who could blame him 🚀

Grundy - covered Gawn in rounds 2-6 then shared duties.  Once it was decided to go with Gawn 100%, Grundy was dropped and selectiors marked his card. Disappointing outcome but foreseen. Trade most likely  🚀

Harmes - we’ve enjoyed his passion but silly decisions and poor tackling and poor kicking and stupid fend off attempts wore down patience and he spent too much time at Casey.  Contracted but now unlikely to get back  🚀

Jordon - not given many opportunities but ultimately wasted chances when he got game time. As a UFA, offers might entice him to go. Imv he’s probably gone🚀

McDonald - Looked finished and then got injured and then returned to show he’s got nothing left. Surely must retire ✈️but he’s stubborn and contracted so might keep going   

Brown - looked good early with 8 goals in first two rounds but unfortunately his knee injury ruined his year.  Only played 4 more games and was clearly struggling. Huge loss really given we needed his accuracy and marking.   If knee injury is chronic, I think retirement is calling  ✈️

Others: 

Dunstan - starred in VFL again but uses wrong aftershave and couldn’t impress selectors. Injury killed his year twice. Unfortunately he’s likely to be delisted

Verrell - athletic young ruck and when given the chances, showed good ability and marking  Like to see him in another 12 months as next year he develops at Casey 🙏🏽

Blake Howes - another injury hit year which was really disappointing   Was hoping we might see him debut but will need to get himself fit and firing over the summer 🙏🏽

Jed Adams slow development in Casey. Has the height and smarts to give hope of future KPB 🙏🏽

Sestan - smart goalkicking youngster   Will benefit from a full preseason and has some talent   Not quite tall enough or quick enough perhaps so he’s still a punt 🙏🏽

Jefferson - will be told to get into the gym and take the protein shakes. Good signs especially with his marking ability but needs more determination.  🙏🏽

ANW - a good year at Casey and perhaps unlikely not to debut. Could be in contention again for games in 2024.  Maybe a debut in round 1 with Kozzzy missing.  Like his tackling and goalkicking😀.  🙏🏽

KFW - tall skinny raw ruck; limited opportunities at Casey and looked lost in some games; another year to see if he’s got anything to offer longer term 🙏🏽

Deakyn Smith - good in patches and like his delivery but undecided on whether he’s to stay on 🤯🤔🤯

Kye Turner - Injury hit year; undecided on whether he’s to stay on 🤯🤔🤯

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Petracca - absolutely star once again and should win the B&F. ️Great ballwinner and midfield bull who was pushed forward to create or kick goals. Tackling still an issue and his goalkicking confidence (28.36) needs a boost with set shots problem continuing 

Viney - had a great year and should be runner up in B&F.  ️Midfield bull.  Tackling a highlight. Contested ballwinner. Disposal still 50/50 and needs to work again on that  

Gawn - The best ruckman in the league. Huge heart. Injured early and then shared rucking.  Once he was no1 he was huge. An outstanding leader

Oliver - was a star again until injury and that 7 weeks out curtailed his year. Got back for the late year and finals to show his star power ️. He’s still probably the best Contested ball winner in the comp but his poor delivery and non effective handball let him down  

Brayshaw - strong year and regained more midfield time.  ️Definitely a huge loss in the finals. 
Hope he can continue but fully understand if he decides that is retirement for his future and his family

May - Excellent year. He’s still going strong.  

But Boring kick in to 50 metres out in left is so predictable in kick outs and opposition knows it every time.  Need to get better strategy. 

Rivers - again developed into a running defender and able to both use pace and run plus defend strongly.  ️Love his energy. Still a defender imv but can play attacking springboard role

Lever - another good year. He’s the backline captain. Played better as 3rd tall and spoiling/controlling areas  

McVee - impressed all year with his poise and skill. Still learning and developing but was a first year revelation

Hibberd - clearly his body let him down but whenever he played, he gave his all and destroyed many small forwards  ️ Retired with his head held high 👏👏✈️

Fritsch - he was very good in patches (38 goals) and then inconsistent with goalkicking. Overall needed more impact and desire for the footy. Good but we think he’s got more to give imv

Petty - had a great year either as KFB or KFF.️ Injuries again were disappointing and his season ending injury hurt our premiership chances 

van Rooyen - still raw but a great first year performance. ️ Love his marking and goalkicking.  Big future ahead and love to see Dees support him with more experienced forward coaches

Pickett - his good is very good but his poor days were disappointing. Love his excitement and energy if directed at the footy . ️Still a match winner with his pace and goal scoring (37.30) but his output dropped in too many games and discipline a problem

Bowey - skills very good and needs to use through corridor more; lost some 1-1s but overall had a good year. Still only 21  

Langdon - new look but didn’t regularly give us his usual output. Now sits in the boundary line and kicks down the line to a negative contest.  Ask him to step 15 metes inboard to firstly use the corridor and give himself better room to run. Still very import team member.

Hunter - brought in and given 100% wing role to compliment Lingers. Had good year overall but often too wide and too slow to move the footy. Needs to improve to keep the role.  

Neal-Bullen -  another consistent, but not outstanding year ️ More a defensive half forward who doesn’t hit the scoreboard (19 goals, 25 games) but he’s running and tackling is an asset. He’s a midfielder playing half fwd really  

Sparrow - was again on the edge of being very good. ️Consistent performance throughout the year as a fringe midfielder and occasionally half forward.  Big preseason ahead and can be better  

Melksham - out of the team but took his chances to be a key goalkicker️Cruel injury kept him out of finals. One more year imv 

J Smith - pushed himself into the team late in the year and showed he is versatile as a back and a forward. Not quite either but definitely very handy player

Spargo - with a lack of goals and ball winning eventually saw him dropped. (11 goals in 14 games) Got back for semi and showed more bounce but overall probably went backwards

Chandler - started well and was a reliable goalkicker. After cemented his place, he failed with inconsistency and lack of goals. Back on the margins now and not in best 22  

Salem - a disappointing year and seemed not to be 100% fit.  Lost his skill and reverted to high helicopter kicks.  Overall an average season

Laurie - given late chances and perhaps lucky he’s got contract for 2024. Midfielder or small forward? Not sure. Could help us with ball use if he gets chance  🙏🏽

Woewodin - got 4 games and definitely liked his run and decision making. Strangely omitted when I thought extra games were helping his development. Can push for more games in 2024 🙏🏽

D Turner - another year that showed promise but injury and selectors befuddled behavior cost him.  Was given games then immediately dropped.  Determination and marking power gives him a future imv. Hope MFC gives him games in 2024 🙏🏽

Schache -  low cost pickup who showed why didn’t make it at the Dogs.  Low intensity.  Low physical pressure or presence.  Got another year due to lack of our KPF options. Got limited opportunities but was poor overall  💩

Tomlinson - not a friend of the selectors, he got chances and played good games but was dropped or overlooked far too many times.  🤔Strong defender who did his job and had his moments. May look for more favourable opportunities elsewhere and who could blame him 🚀

Grundy - covered Gawn in rounds 2-6 then shared duties.  Once it was decided to go with Gawn 100%, Grundy was dropped and selectiors marked his card. Disappointing outcome but foreseen. Trade most likely  🚀

Harmes - we’ve enjoyed his passion but silly decisions and poor tackling and poor kicking and stupid fend off attempts wore down patience and he spent too much time at Casey.  Contracted but now unlikely to get back  🚀

Jordon - not given many opportunities but ultimately wasted chances when he got game time. As a UFA, offers might entice him to go. Imv he’s probably gone🚀

McDonald - Looked finished and then got injured and then returned to show he’s got nothing left. Surely must retire ✈️but he’s stubborn and contracted so might keep going   

Brown - looked good early with 8 goals in first two rounds but unfortunately his knee injury ruined his year.  Only played 4 more games and was clearly struggling. Huge loss really given we needed his accuracy and marking.   If knee injury is chronic, I think retirement is calling  ✈️

Others: 

Dunstan - starred in VFL again but uses wrong aftershave and couldn’t impress selectors. Injury killed his year twice. Unfortunately he’s likely to be delisted

Verrell - athletic young ruck and when given the chances, showed good ability and marking  Like to see him in another 12 months as next year he develops at Casey 🙏🏽

Blake Howes - another injury hit year which was really disappointing   Was hoping we might see him debut but will need to get himself fit and firing over the summer 🙏🏽

Jed Adams slow development in Casey. Has the height and smarts to give hope of future KPB 🙏🏽

Sestan - smart goalkicking youngster   Will benefit from a full preseason and has some talent   Not quite tall enough or quick enough perhaps so he’s still a punt 🙏🏽

Jefferson - will be told to get into the gym and take the protein shakes. Good signs especially with his marking ability but needs more determination.  🙏🏽

ANW - a good year at Casey and perhaps unlikely not to debut. Could be in contention again for games in 2024.  Maybe a debut in round 1 with Kozzzy missing.  Like his tackling and goalkicking😀.  🙏🏽

KFW - tall skinny raw ruck; limited opportunities at Casey and looked lost in some games; another year to see if he’s got anything to offer longer term 🙏🏽

Deakyn Smith - good in patches and like his delivery but undecided on whether he’s to stay on 🤯🤔🤯

Kye Turner - Injury hit year; undecided on whether he’s to stay on 🤯🤔🤯

Tomlinson after exit interviews is staying according to Callum Twomey

• Like 1