• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GAMEDAY: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

13 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Melbourne is still the best city in the West though.

Give me CBD and surrounds anytime.

My main concern, and the cause of our inequality is the corporate and political classes.  Thier self interest is so scarry, especially on a dark night in the alleys of those boutique, alcohol fuelled areas.

The poor have to battle all the institutions of oppression. Call the security and off they hop.

The wealthy are the institutions. They made them to serve their purpose. I have no recall when faced by the horror of people playing the, better than the other card, and their detachment from "being here".

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I suggested this last Monday and was howled down. It makes sense.

Do you see Max playing deep forward or more CHF

More deep forward to bring the ball to ground if unable to mark.

I see Grundy doing the heavy work.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 2

48 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

Both correct points @binman

There’s a fair bit of shame and self loathing from Dees fans about our crowds, probably stemming from the sledging we cop on socials from halfwit oppo fans who don’t do math good and also only watch on tv where they can’t see a packed MCC and Olympic stand.

Per the tables below, we’re 5th for overall average match attendance so far this year, and 4th for average home attendance (including whatever handful we got at Alice), in line with the last couple of years.

Our numbers are good, don’t let any peabrain tell you different (especially hawkers who still think it’s 2015).

IMG_2096.thumb.jpeg.d3d1e3a95860de82291a6ddd50eef9e9.jpeg

IMG_2097.thumb.jpeg.98f04d1f94e33eae1d606d244cdf3344.jpeg

So we can expect Kardinia Park and Tassie games to continue despite numbers dictating they shouldn’t.

• Like 2

Would losing be the end of the world tonight? Obviously want to win but a loss might send us to 4th. Likely MCG game vs Pies in first week of finals. Even if we win 3 remaining games and Lions win theirs it means a game at the Gabba. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to beat the Blues but maybe there is a silver lining to a loss.

46 minutes ago, Gillies said:

Used to be. Has become a bit of a liberal s*^thole now. Drugs and homelessness everywhere in the city. Was surprised after being away 15 years, what a dump it’s become . Becoming like Seattle or San Francisco in the US. Still the best sporting city in the world 

Sure, it’s the “liberalism” that’s destroying the city. Perhaps we should embrace conservatism and become more like Baton Rouge, Louisiana or Tampa Bay, Florida. As for “liberalism” equaling drug abuse, the highest drug use in the USA is in Nebraska, a conservative state. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

So we can expect Kardinia Park and Tassie games to continue despite numbers dictating they shouldn’t.

I think it’s more that they will continue so that our numbers stay where they are. Despite the onfield disadvantage of playing at KP, and the annoyance of playing in a ****hole like Blundstone the AFL I think looks after us pretty well in a $$$ sense. 

We get the big games of Kings Birthday, ANZAC Eve, we get our cashie in the NT, 13 at the G overall and this all adds up to cash in the bank. 

It’s a FIXture, not a draw after all. KP and Tassie are sacrifices for the greater good. KP is hard to win at but we shouldn’t lose in Tassie for the rest of North’s time there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

I think it’s more that they will continue so that our numbers stay where they are. Despite the onfield disadvantage of playing at KP, and the annoyance of playing in a ****hole like Blundstone the AFL I think looks after us pretty well in a $$$ sense. 

We get the big games of Kings Birthday, ANZAC Eve, we get our cashie in the NT, 13 at the G overall and this all adds up to cash in the bank. 

It’s a FIXture, not a draw after all. KP and Tassie are sacrifices for the greater good. KP is hard to win at but we shouldn’t lose in Tassie for the rest of North’s time there.

That’s ok, but how are the teams that never play at those grounds sacrificing on field for the greater good?

3 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Tonight's game will be a cracker - can't wait but also nervous. 

Pros

• Gawn and Grundy will dominate tonight's game.
  • Apart from Cripps their midfield is tepid
  • I am hoping Kozzie tears the game apart - they have no-one who can go with him.

Concerns

• Curnow. May has been far below his best for a while now. 
  • Weitering will blanket JVR (no way do they risk playing him on Grundy)
  • Cripps

Opportunities

• Viney will love 2 teams going head-to-head over a contested game and will be BOG. 
  • Oliver is back. The best Dees player I have seen and I can't take my eyes f him when he plays. 

Go Dees - by 16 points

Cripps has been very meh this year. I'm not denying that he's a good player but he's not at the forefront of my concerns.

47 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Sure, it’s the “liberalism” that’s destroying the city. Perhaps we should embrace conservatism and become more like Baton Rouge, Louisiana or Tampa Bay, Florida. As for “liberalism” equaling drug abuse, the highest drug use in the USA is in Nebraska, a conservative state. 

The red states in the USA, tragically partic the ones in the South with the biggest black populations, top every health, poverty, and educational disadvantage measure - not to mention drug overdoses, vioelnet crime, sex crimes, homicides, deaths in custody,  accidental death by gun etc etc measures. 

And ironically the governor of those states (eg Sarah Huckabee) are always complaining about federal overreach and pumping up their own tyres for being so independent yet also dominate the list for receiving federal funds.

If California, the most 'liberal' of all states, was a country it would be something like 6th in the world for GDP and basically subsidizes the southern red states. 

America would economically collapse without California. Which makes the periodic calls for succession by some blue states, like Texas, so utterly ludicrous. 

And by the by, violent crime and homicide rates are dropping in California and increasing in most red states. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

The blue states in the USA, tragically partic the ones in the South with the biggest black populations, top every health, poverty, and educational disadvantage measure - not to mention drug overdoses, vioelnet crime, sex crimes, homicides, deaths in custody,  accidental death by gun etc etc measures. 

And ironically the governor of those states (eg Sarah Huckabee) are always complaining about federal overreach and pumping up their own tyres for being so independent yet also dominate the list for receiving federal funds.

If California, the most 'liberal' of all states, was a country it would be something like 6th in the world for GDP and basically subsidizes the southern blue states. 

America would economically collapse without California. Which makes the periodic calls for succession by some blue states, like Texas, so utterly ludicrous. 

And by the by, violent crime and homicide rates are dropping in California and increasing in most blue states. 

Think you are confusing blue with red states. Anyway almost a moot point as both political parties only govern for the elites. Nothing really changes. They are both warmongers who don’t give a [censored] about their people and happy to keep the con going with politics of division like they export to here. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

The Right love to say Liberalism breeds poverty. Fact remains both sides refusal to house and care for the poor have to led to the crazy amount of homeless in the States. It takes money and planning to fix the problem. The money is there but the planning never will be. Beating on the poor is what Governments do best.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

It's been a really nice morning weather wise here on the west side of town and has only just started raining, although nothing heavy. Let's hope it has dissipated by game time. 

As CH7 have the rights to Australia's world cup games I wonder if it was their decision to show the game live on the big screens as they are also broadcasting our game tonight. 

4 hours ago, binman said:

Agree on that.

In fact I'm guessing, that with the weather, the matilda game might cost the blues 15k fans.

Plenty of fans, particularly anyone who hasn't bought a reserved seat will just stay home and watch item back to back in the comfort of their lounge room.

Fair weather supporters bring shame to the game

26 minutes ago, Redleg said:

That’s ok, but how are the teams that never play at those grounds sacrificing on field for the greater good?

Maybe I phrased that badly, we’re making onfield sacrifices for the greater good of making as much cash as possible so we never have to ask the AFL for cash again so our name doesn’t cross their mind when they’re looking for someone to relocate to NZ or China or whatever their next brainwave is. Let the saints and doggies take that heat. 

Collingwood doesn’t have to sacrifice cos they bring the numbers. Does the AFL want to send them to Blundstone to get 30k, or KP to get 40k or do they play at the G where they get 65k+? Easy decision. 

Is it fair? No, but we’re getting a better deal than we used to and if we keep bringing big club numbers we’ll get better deals going forward. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Think you are confusing blue with red states. Anyway almost a moot point as both political parties only govern for the elites. Nothing really changes. They are both warmongers who don’t give a [censored] about their people and happy to keep the con going with politics of division like they export to here. 

Yes, bad blue, pardon the pun, by me.

Ta.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I shall be watching today's game at Fitzgerald's Sports Bar in Nana in the company of defrocked and disgraced Demonlander SWYL. 

Good to hear that SWYL is still vertical.  Any reason he doesn't post here any more?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Anyway almost a moot point as both political parties only govern for the elites. Nothing really changes. They are both warmongers who don’t give a [censored] about their people and happy to keep the con going with politics of division like they export to here. 

My dear departed poppa served in WWII - predominantly in Papua New Guinea and surrounds.

He never talked about the war, to me at least.

Except once.

And that was to tell me something remarkably similar to what you have written above.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

Seriously?

You would go to a footy match you weren’t going to, because the Matilda’s are on the  big screen, when they are on free to air TV. 

Don’t think so.

My life is overrun (infested?) with Carlton fans. Many of them were in two minds about watching the Tillies at home/at a pub, or coming to tonight’s match. This solves their dilemma. I can’t imagine that’s an isolated situation. Why would my family/friends be any different to other Blues supporters? They’re all a coupla sangas short, amirite?! 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RyanD said:

Sometimes I need to remind myself to enjoy the moment we are in as a football club. What an amazing point in time where we can go about our Saturday knowing we are one of the premiership favourites going into a blockbuster on Saturday night. During those endless dark years, these are the times I use to dream about. We are going to look back in years to come and be in awe at some of the talent we have. Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, Viney, Pickett, May, Lever, Brayshaw and co. 

Don't think too far ahead, enjoy the day, enjoy the night and sit back and watch our players give it all. No matter the result, we are going into finals with a double chance. Go Dees! 

It's a beautiful 24C day here in the northern Rivers. Benn to the beach, swimming, bbq, beers, Nana nap and then home cooked fish and chips watching the soccer before our game.

Totally there with you @ryand. After so many years of just hoping for results to go our way to maybe sneak into the 8, we're at the top of the hill.

It just makes spring time even more wonderful.

Biggest worry for me is Petraccas set shots. He started to get a bit wobbly last week again. Hope he just goes back and nails some drop punts.

Can't wait to watch the Sherrin shoveler back in action.

Dees move into fourth gear tonight.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Weather update?? 
Every app is saying something different. 

You can have a look on Weatherzone's Vic Radar and Melb Radar, it looks ok for tonight's game, the rainband might go across north part of Melbourne.