• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Harley Reid

dazzledavey36

2 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

I agree if they just cut them loose the optics are very bad. So it's find other jobs within the club or they choose to retire.

I was thinking more about supporting them for with medical, physio and other rehab activities and costs than the role they might play...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Wouldn't the club do the right thing by Melksham and give him another year to support him thru his ACL recovery, even if we put him on the Inactive list?

Edit:  Similarly for Dunstan.  Seems a bit rough to just cut them loose.

Agreed, but we saw what the Bulldogs just did with Mitch Hannan.

I'd say Melksham will retire and Dunstan might get another year.

8 hours ago, manny100 said:

The WCE recruiting boss hinted that they would use pick 1 to pick up several players implying it would be traded.

They converted pick 2 last year into more picks.

So i think it will be on the market.

Do we go for pick 1 or do we go for GC's pick 4 and have 2 early picks? I am thinking 2 early picks. Depends how highly we rate Reid

Regardless of what us Supporters want i reckon we're in a pretty good Pozzy for the future. Personally I don't even know what I want but gimme gimme. As long as the Jackson for Whomever is a good result I'll be happy. Futures Looking Grand. 

6 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I would think Melksham, Hibbo and possibly Ben Brown will retire. That’s 3 already. 
Dunstan won’t get a new deal. JJ will leave. Harmes will also likely go. And Grundy is almost certain to be traded. 

We have one rookie upgrade in McVee. How do we only need 3 picks then? 

I think we'll use 4 picks in the draft, incl what we get for Grundy (maybe mid 2nd rounder). Upgrade Turner, maybe upgrade McVee a year early, ensuring he gets a decent 3/4 year contract. That's 6 there

We could trade up for Reid, 2 x top 10 picks or 5, 15, 33 and 2024 1st. Leaves us with Freo's 24, the Grundy 2nd rounder and late pick for Brown

Out: Melk, Hibbo, Dunstan, JJ and Grundy. Reckon Harmes stays (urghh!), BBB too, both depth, but who knows. What's the status of Schache, is he on 1 year?

In: Reid, picks 24 (Tholstrup) 27ish for Grundy (Freijar), Pup Brown

Upgrade: Turner, McVee

All speculation, of course

Will be an interesting trade period, that's for sure

Edited by Stiff Arm
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Wouldn't the club do the right thing by Melksham and give him another year to support him thru his ACL recovery, even if we put him on the Inactive list?

Edit:  Similarly for Dunstan.  Seems a bit rough to just cut them loose.

I’m sure they’ll pay for and support their rehab regardless. Doesn’t mean they’ll be kept on the list. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Picks 4 and 5 for 1 just seems a risk. Would love to know JT's current thoughts on Reid if he actually wants him this badly

4 & 5 will become 5 & 6 when a Walter bid is matched inside pick 4. Could even become 6 & 7 after McKay compo. 

With that in mind, I’m all for swinging for the pick 1 fences.

• Like 1

I would have thought as a point of law, if an employee gets injured on the job, the employer is liable to cover medical costs until they recover, irrespective of whether in or out of contract. perhaps a DL legal eagle can confirm or disprove.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Glorious Day said:

What's your theory on Dunstan getting another year if he couldn't break through this year, and barely played a game last year?

Not much haha. He's probably off too!

• Like 1

The key to this draft will be Gold Coast that has to find enough points to pay for three Academy players - all predicted to go in the top 20

A few clubs including us are all over it and whatever deals will get done - I have every faith in our team - should help boost our draft hand 

West Coast may also get involved as they are keen to get Daniel Curtain so may split the No 1 pick.  

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

The key to this draft will be Gold Coast that has to find enough points to pay for three Academy players - all predicted to go in the top 20

A few clubs including us are all over it and whatever deals will get done - I have every faith in our team - should help boost our draft hand 

West Coast may also get involved as they are keen to get Daniel Curtain so may split the No 1 pick.  

GC already have enough points to cover their Academy kids, they have 4 of them not just the 3 we've read about. It would look like they will trade pick 4 for future firsts. They may only need around 4200 points depending on where their bids fall, and they will get some currency from any players they trade out. Maybe our FF1 plus ports FF2 for grundy plus #15image.png.e946069b9672d411e9dde5e87665b92a.png

Edited by Viscount Cardwell
added content
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Viscount Cardwell said:

GC already have enough points to cover their Academy kids, they have 4 of them not just the 3 we've read about. It would look like they will trade pick 4 for future firsts. They may only need around 4200 points depending on where their bids fall, and they will get some currency from any players they trade out. Maybe our FF1 plus ports FF2 for grundy plus #15image.png.e946069b9672d411e9dde5e87665b92a.png

Isn't there a rule that you can't stack a whole lot of picks to use on academy bids - i.e. you have to have that many list spots available or something?

14 hours ago, Glorious Day said:

Not sure why everyone is writing Melksham's career off. An ACL is generally a 9-month injury, meaning he will be ok theoretically by June, before mid-season

Which AFL players have returned to match fitness in only 9 months?

A few years ago a Richmond player had a  super fast ACL recovery but doctors wouldnt give him the green light to play as it takes up to 12 months for the ACL to be strong enough otherwise it might tear  or snap again. David Schwartz is a good example.

• Like 1

GC currently hold:

4, 28, 31, 42, 47, 56, 60, 65, 69.

Assuming GC’s 3 early academy picks get bid on at the relatively conservative:

Pick 2 = 2517 = 2014 with discount

Pick 6 = 1751 = 1401 with discount

Pick 13 = 1212 = 970 with discount

In total they’d need 4385 points.

Currently their pick haul is worth 4507. However I’m unsure if Walter going at pick 2 then bumps each pick out a spot, devaluing it. So 4 & 28 would be eaten up, but then 31 would become 32 & so forth.

Then Reid would absorb 32, 43, 48 & 57. Unsure what the change would be from Walter, but we’re looking at a shortfall if they want Rogers too.

Anyway I think they’ll want to capitalise on pick 4, converting it to sufficient points to cover all 3, and then future picks if possible.

Subject to trades swapping picks, I’d be worried about competition from Sydney, Adelaide, St Kilda & Bulldogs, if they have the appetite for pick 4.
No one else would come very close in matching points totals in trade. And I doubt they have the desire we do.

• Like 1

An interesting article about how a few AFL Clubs are vying for the coveted number 1# AFL Draft pick this year!

Here's the link: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/clubs-in-the-mix-for-no1-pick-and-what-they-could-offer-the-eagles/news-story/dcc282ef4c38af2e38c4d0a11c1b8900

Interesting to note the possibility of Melbourne being able to claim the number 1# AFL Draft pick so we can snaffle Harley Reid! 🤔

• Thanks 1