• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Brisbane

Demonland

Kozzie at the minimum should start as the sub next Friday if he's staying in the team.

Having him come in at the start of the 4th quarter hopefully with a bit of energy could swing a game, he just doesn't seem to have 4 quarters of interest at the moment.. maybe one quartet could reinvigorate his influence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

At the absolute least, someone who deserves a spot in our backline. Let alone someone who has played forward for the last month and then in a quarter as sub against a flagging side didn’t register a stat.

Who are you dropping from our currently in-form backline to put Smith in there?

I really hope they don't drop Bowser from that back 7 to fit in Hibbo. Bowser is solid 1v1, a beautiful kick and a great decision maker. Hibbo is our best lockdown player and McVee should be playing every week (kid is a star), so with our three talls, there's no room left.

The two guys that turn it over most in our defensive set up are usually Rivers and Gus. 

Both are good interceptors and understand good positioning though. Smith does not.

If it's not forward for Smith, it's not in the team otherwise we're in trouble. 

That said, I wonder if they're thinking Smith on old mate Cameron next week...?

As for the rest of our back 7, we need to ensure Petty has continuity back there, because at times this year he's been all at sea. But Petty is still a young player in KPP terms and the move and forward and back has likely played with his continuity. 

We need him going for intercept marks like 2021 and 2022. That's him at his best. He did get a few last night, but in 1v1 situations he's struggled this year IMV.

If we could bring in Howes though, maybe that releases Salem into the midfield mix?

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, M_9 said:

I doubt you'll get many in agreement re Harmes.

Be a tough hard game, the subs we are playing atm are having no impact.  Jordan is the best player for sub but he is in the B22 whilst Clarry is out I think.  Maybe we could try Dunstan.  But I think it need to be a tough Mid

Edited by Travy14

I saw nothing in last nites game to suggest we could beat the bears. Lets face it people our forward line is shizen.

• Thinking 1

17 hours ago, Travy14 said:

Out:  Smith(Sub), Spargo

In:  JVR, Harmes

Harmes to be Sub

Leave Spargo in, he was a bit off last night but give I’m a couple of weeks to get his confidence up.  His kick inside 50 is desperately needed 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dl4e said:

I saw nothing in last nites game to suggest we could beat the bears. Lets face it people our forward line is shizen.

"With that forward line I can't see us scoring more than 50 points. They are not much better so get ready for the most constipated game of the year."

Only off by 5 goals.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

22 minutes ago, old55 said:

"With that forward line I can't see us scoring more than 50 points. They are not much better so get ready for the most constipated game of the year."

Only off by 5 goals.

We had an accuracy problem.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

Leave Spargo in, he was a bit off last night but give I’m a couple of weeks to get his confidence up.  His kick inside 50 is desperately needed 

4 score involvements, and this has been his trend all year, no score board presence.  Desperatly out of form and needs a better run in the reserves to get confidence.

3 hours ago, A F said:

I really hope they don't drop Bowser from that back 7 to fit in Hibbo. Bowser is solid 1v1, a beautiful kick and a great decision maker. Hibbo is our best lockdown player and McVee should be playing every week (kid is a star), so with our three talls, there's no room left.

The two guys that turn it over most in our defensive set up are usually Rivers and Gus. 

Both are good interceptors and understand good positioning though. Smith does not.

If it's not forward for Smith, it's not in the team otherwise we're in trouble. 

As for the rest of our back 7, we need to ensure Petty has continuity back there, because at times this year he's been all at sea. But Petty is still a young player in KPP terms and the move and forward and back has likely played with his continuity. 

We need him going for intercept marks like 2021 and 2022. That's him at his best. He did get a few last night, but in 1v1 situations he's struggled this year IMV.

If we could bring in Howes though, maybe that releases Salem into the midfield mix?

If Bowza is dropped I’ll be cancelling my membership 

• Clap 1

3 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

If Bowza is dropped I’ll be cancelling my membership 

So who comes out when Hibbo returns?

There's May, Lever, Petty, McVee, Salem, Bowey, Hibberd, Rivers and Brayshaw. 

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

A bit off??? He was dropped for poor form didnt play at Casey and Yet, YET comes straight back in and plays very very ordinary. Surely cannot survive!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The stand-out forward for Casey today was Schache and the gun midfielders were Harmes and Dunstan. Hibbo was NO contact for 3 weeks minimum after Geelong which is barely 3 weeks ago. I don't expect him to be playing this week.

28 minutes ago, A F said:

So who comes out when Hibbo returns?

There's May, Lever, Petty, McVee, Salem, Bowey, Hibberd, Rivers and Brayshaw. 

I don’t think Hibbo is a certainty to be selected. You can’t drop someone who gets it 20 times with 80% plus accuracy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A F said:

McVee lined up on him in the first meeting didn’t he?

• Like 2

Pickett, Spargo and Grundy are on the nose.

Arguably Grundy is playing better than Gawn, but Gawn covers far more ground. Grundy's defence leaves a bit to be desired at times. Either way, we need to work out how to use them properly if they are both staying in the team. I'm worried Goodwin will continue with both, even if it's clear come finals time it is not working, because Grundy joined us on the proviso of actually playing. 

Pickett has been poor for far too long. Surely he cannot stay in if we're serious. Best case scenario for him is to play as sub and impact in a shorter game. He needs to play with more desperation, his spot in the side being in jeopardy might just give him the kick up the 'you know what' that he needs.

Spargo is a difficult one. I was at the game last night and I saw him impact a few contests where he gave his all, and stopped a run from St Kilda despite being outnumbered. I'd lean towards giving him another crack and see how he goes.

In: Smith, Dunstan (sub)

Out: Pickett

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a big test. Lions are in good nick but struggle at the G. Not sure if Dunkley comes back this week but he is an amazing defensive midfielder which causes us big problems.

I want to see some urgency and pressure from the first bounce. Too often we come in over relaxed and and get the pressure put on us.

Also Trac needs to stay forward more but it’ll be pointless if we can’t win territory.

3 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Spargo’s clearly one of our smartest players but so often last night the clearing kick to the wing found him one out against a talker opponent. I thought he competed really well

• Like 2

Some hard truths for fans to accept to live more comfortably:

The Demons are a defence first team in the Ross Lyon mould.

Demonland:
That Sucks The Office GIF

Gawn’s days of AA footy are over.

Deeland:

What Serious GIF

Pickett’s games are earned on his defensive work.

Dland:

computer rage GIF

BBB is our best tall forward.

Andy’s house of pain:

Season 9 Ok GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Like 3
  • Haha 11
  • Clap 2

I'd probably say no change. Howes was good, but he'll get eaten alive in the contest at AFL level. Needs a bit more development - next year is his year. 

Thought Spargo did ok and whilst kozzie looked awful round the ball, he had the 3rd most pressure acts and we would desperately miss his speed and tank if he was dropped. 

Chandler continued his nothing form in the VFL. 

To be honest, AMW isn't that far behind any of our small forwards. Not sure how his tank is or whether he could play the structure as well as the others, but he's quicker than Chandler and Spargo, can jump higher, combative and seems to get involved in scoring chains. Quite mercurial. He isn't that far away. 

Harmes was awful I thought. Our midfield depth is a concern - our first bounce against the Lions will be Viney, Sparrow and Jordon in all likelihood. A top end midfield draft pick or two is in need before the era of track and Clarry begins to pass.

It's a shame Mitch White never moved into the midfield during his AFL days. He is an absolute warrior and a terrific player, good ball user. He and Munro are critical to Casey's success.

• Like 5