• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Saturday 17th June 2023

kev martin

7 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

in every dream home a heartache

One of the spookiest, most unsettling songs i've ever heard. Something about it freaks me out.

There is half decent Netflix series called Mindhunters about early CIA efforts to profile and catch serial killers.

That song was used on the soundtrack for one of the killers in his perfect, weird home (Son of Sam?)

• Like 3

Just going to throw a thought out there in relation to the lack of proper bye week for us.

From a point of view of increasing aerobic training load which is something Selwyn said in the podcast they would be looking to do, the three games with 10 day breaks would actually be pretty ideal to do this as you have plenty of recovery time post game AND can fit in your extra aerobic work AND can fit in the main session which would contain a fair chunk of intensity. This may actually prove to be a more ideal way to do it than having one long break and regular 6-7 day breaks between the others. A blessing in disguise if you will.

We will only know how it went in the last month of footy, but hopefully amazingly well!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@kev martin

A question Kev.

I heard Chad Wingard talk about the practice of having match sim and/or structural drills with with the ones v second 18, with the the latter replicating the set up, structures and ball movement of team we are playing next.

Have you seen us do that?

• Like 2

Just now, —coach— said:

Just going to throw a thought out there in relation to the lack of proper bye week for us.

From a point of view of increasing aerobic training load which is something Selwyn said in the podcast they would be looking to do, the three games with 10 day breaks would actually be pretty ideal to do this as you have plenty of recovery time post game AND can fit in your extra aerobic work AND can fit in the main session which would contain a fair chunk of intensity. This may actually prove to be a more ideal way to do it than having one long break and regular 6-7 day breaks between the others. A blessing in disguise if you will.

We will only know how it went in the last month of footy, but hopefully amazingly well!

An interesting bit of context for that is we had the same issue last year with the nine day bye and so they would have learnt a  lot about how best to manage it

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, binman said:

One of the spookiest, most unsettling songs i've ever heard. Something about it freaks me out.

There is half decent Netflix series called Mindhunters about early CIA efforts to profile and catch serial killers.

That song was used on the soundtrack for one of the killers in his perfect, weird home (Son of Sam?)

it's used a lot cos of the bit when it wigs out with the "i blew up your body...then you blew my mind" bit

half decent? mindhunter was brilliant - created by david fincher, based on the book by john douglas

it was used to show dennis rader, the btk (bind torture kill) serial killer, preparing himself for a kill - my joke with my serial killer obsessed peptide friend is to call brandon zerk thatcher 'denis rader' and she's got so used to the nickname over the last few years that she has to explain to fellow fans why she sais 'GO DENIS!' whenever he does something good

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, binman said:

@kev martin

A question Kev.

I heard Chad Wingard talk about the practice of having match sim and/or structural drills with with the ones v second 18, with the the latter replicating the set up, structures and ball movement of team we are playing next.

Have you seen us do that?

Yes, though not the entire squad/teams. 

It appears to be the lines (fwd, mid, back) that the players stay in, when it involves larger structures and connections.

For example, the set up on Saturday was a drill with two groups. One being the MFC backs with the Casey* mids and forwards, the other was Casey* backs, with MFC mids and Fwds.

I've seen all the combinations applied.

Haven't seen a full sim for some time, only the drills. I would assume they do the same thing in the main session.

When they practice in their lines, it appears that they swap the roles between those playing in MFC and Casey*.

I don't think I've seen the full squad/teams/division made up of only the Casey V MFC.

Addit:  *Casey, MFC listed players playing at the moment for Casey

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/17/2023 at 12:57 PM, Demonstone said:

I agree @Jaded No More

No matter how you count the number of days in the break, we are copping the rough end of the pineapple here.

Max commented on Gus and Gawny about this last year. He was not happy about it

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, The heart beats true said:

As always, thanks for the update Kev.

It’s terrible that our players are training on the Saturday of their bye round after playing just days ago. I’m very surprised the players didn’t go to the AFLPA. I would have. 

They had a 3 to 4 day break after the blues game, and have a few more of those. Having too long a break wouldn't be in anyone interests. Most weeks l get a 2 day break from work and only 4 weeks leave not a whole summer, l think they will be ok. Unrelated, BBB hasn't been the same since the haircut, can we get him a wig?

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, —coach— said:

Your insight here is a really interesting read Coach.

Just to be clear none of my frustration about our ‘bye’ has anything to do with training loads, or winning games.

It’s to do with the fact that more than half our list have family interstate, and at best they could have visited them for 2.5 days. This is the second year that’s happened. It’s frustration about the quality of their lives. This is their only chance for 8 months to see them, and a lot of these players are very young.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Just to be clear none of my frustration about our ‘bye’ has anything to do with training loads, or winning games.

It’s to do with the fact that more than half our list have family interstate, and at best they could have visited them for 2.5 days. This is the second year that’s happened. It’s frustration about the quality of their lives. This is their only chance for 8 months to see them, and a lot of these players are very young.

I thinks that's the key THBTS - only having four days away from the club, and all that entails, means mentally refreshing must be so much harder, particularly as you say for the interstate  boys (we have lots of WA boys - a four day break is not much time to get there and back seeing its a 7 hour round trip juts in the air).

After having already had six months of going hard at this point, a huge part of the challenge to get the players physically prepared and motivated to keep pushing super hard must be the psychological aspect. And having a decent break to mentally refresh must help most players (a caveat on that - i wonder if the poor record of many clubs post bye is at all related to some players losing their mental edge a bit with say 7 days completely away from their club)

By contrast, the Pies players had the same compulsory four days off we had but also had the weekend off. So not back to the club till this morning. Meaning for interstaters (or players who wanted to get decent break at say Noosa etc), if they flew out of Melbourne Monday night after the game and back on Sunday, they get a decent break. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, —coach— said:

Totally concur with your thinking here.  It had occurred to me you'd be able to change the pace a little over those weeks whilst still maintaining some form of cadence..A longer break might break that...  About the only way I can think to describe it is if you were going for a run (game).........and along the way slow to a purposeful jog(break )...then back to running ( game )...back to jogging...then running..  The point being at no time do you slow to a walk.  ....Which a longer break would do.

Interesting thinking Coach 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, kev martin said:

"Manikin’s are similar to mannequins where they are human shaped models used to simulate the human body. Instead of being used to show off clothing, manikins are used to help simulate medical, surgical, or clinical scenarios." https://www.engeniumstaffing.com/blog/files/What-is-the-Difference-Between-a-Manikin-and-a-Mannequin.html

Do you know the right word for those plastic figures?

I didn't even know manikin was a real word. Even so, I still read it as "mankini".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

They had a 3 to 4 day break after the blues game, and have a few more of those. Having too long a break wouldn't be in anyone interests. Most weeks l get a 2 day break from work and only 4 weeks leave not a whole summer, l think they will be ok. Unrelated, BBB hasn't been the same since the haircut, can we get him a wig?

"..BBB hasn't been the same since the haircut, can we get him a wig?"  And Ed Langdon please.

2 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

That is the main point - two consecutive years.  HQ probably say that if we want the KB it has to be that way - yet faves Collingwood don't suffer the same fate (two consecutive years).

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

Max commented on Gus and Gawny about this last year. He was not happy about it

Second year running we have been shafted with the bye from memory

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Most weeks l get a 2 day break from work and only 4 weeks leave not a whole summer, l think they will be ok. 

Do you run about 15 k's in top speed bursts and crash into people for 120 minutes at work, at least once a week.. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Do you run about 15 k's in top speed bursts and crash into people for 120 minutes at work, at least once a week.. 

I do the equivalent mentally every working day. But I only work half a day each week. Too tiring.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

That may be the case JM but I have total faith in the AFL system. I'm sure in next year's fixture, we will get the Sunday game following the bye and Collingwood will be heading down the highway to Kardinia Park for the Thursday night game against Geelong. The Pies won't have any issue with it either. Even if the seating capacity is still at 21,000, they won't have a problem with their 200-seat allocation.

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

A very fair point RE Family interstate and one which definitely has to be a consideration. I think we both agree that the AFL is very comfortable in creating an unfair and un-level playing field across the comp and we seem to be at the [censored] end of every crummy decision!

8 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Totally concur with your thinking here.  It had occurred to me you'd be able to change the pace a little over those weeks whilst still maintaining some form of cadence..A longer break might break that...  About the only way I can think to describe it is if you were going for a run (game).........and along the way slow to a purposeful jog(break )...then back to running ( game )...back to jogging...then running..  The point being at no time do you slow to a walk.  ....Which a longer break would do.

Interesting thinking Coach 

What you have described is a form of Fartlek training, which means speed play and for those who have tried it will attest to it being quite difficult if done right. The human body gets very efficient at doing things at one pace if you let it, but in doing so it becomes less efficient at other paces. By changing up your stimulus you can often get better bang for your buck overall. For example, anaerobic (with out oxygen) capacity and power will only improve to a point if you don't further improve aerobic (with oxygen) capacity and power, because the aerobic system is critical to recovery from anaerobic exercise. They don't operate in isolation unless you are dealing with a one off effort of short duration (which a footy game is not). The image gives a bit of a guide to this. The yellow and red lines are anaerobic energy supply durations and the green one aerobic. If you imagine a footy game where the guys are running 15km, in bouts of various intensity, you can quickly see how important aerobic training is to these guys because facilitates recovery from each bout of high intensity by removing the by products of anaerobic metabolism and replenishing nutrient and glycogen stores. Sorry got a bit of track but its a fascinating subject!

Energy-Systems-scaled.jpg

Edited by —coach—
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, jnrmac said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we asked for 3 ten day breaks, to best enable our fitness program.

I'm not really concerned about the interstate players not being able to fly home for longer than 3 or 4 days.

They're paid well, pursuing the profession they love and have plenty of time in the off season where they can get back home.

If successful, I hope the club is pitching this sort of fixture structure again next year.

• Like 4