POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

15 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

And this is the other factor contributing to the clusterf$&k…

Who owns the rights to the audio coming out of the microphone being passed around? The AFL? Or the Herald-Sun/Age/SEN/3AW etc etc. 

The reason you see all those mics in front of an interviewer with all the various news logos on them, is because once the presser is done, whatever audio that went into each of those microphones belongs to their respective  companies for them to broadcast at a later stage. 

It’s totally boring, but every little thing that hits a microphone for broadcast, needs to have a corresponding owner of the rights to that thing. It seems the easiest way to navigate such an intellectual-property headache is to do nothing about it. 

How about the AFL claiming all the rights regardless of who uses the AFL's microphone?  

• Like 1

WCW

Yep,....i briefly logged into match day posts and it was dreadful. Insults flying everywhere about Grundy May Lever and Fritsch. Is Deespencer a bonifide Mfc supporter? 

How many teams would have beaten the Suns yesterday Maybe 2 or 3  or maybe none.

Rivers looked as sick as a dog after the game in the rooms. An dees official said Chandler was ill before the game. Sounds like they ate some jungle grub that didnt agree with them. Goodwin never complains or makes excuses.

Brayshaw thought it was a damn good win under the circumstances.

Edited by Deebauched
  • Like 10
  • Clap 2

2 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

I’ll sheepishly put my hand up here, WCW. 

A flippant gag, but I didn’t actually mean any disrespect. I genuinely thought there was something bothering him mentally last night. He just seemed rattled and distant, and though I could have worded without the gallows-humour, my comment was actually intended to defend his poor performance. 

Or he could just simply be having an off night in general?? Sometimes things simply don't go your way on game day, this happens.

Everyone is allowed to have a off day here and there without conclusions being jumped, especially mental health being brought into it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

I'm going to have a bit of a bit of a winge. Not about the game, who played well or poorly but the lack of player involvement after the game. Most stayed in middle of ground with only a few going to the fence along the forward flank then around to rooms. We were on the wing and grand kids wanted a high five but not one player came. Gus after the game mentioned he loves the supporters involvement. A bit more respect back to us would be appreciated seeing we only see them once or twice in Qld. By the way we outnumbered the Suns supporters easily. Well done to the Qld Demons and those that came up from interstate.

End of winge. Now onto the Hawks.

The Club decides if the players greet the crowd after a win. If it was up to the players I’m sure they’d love to do an entire lap high-fiving as many as possible, especially after a win interstate.

One thing that was noticed last night is when the players were about to go back down to the rooms, Brodie walked a few feet away from the group and faced us (opposite end of the ground) and waved enthusiastically. He gave us the devil horns then waved again. A gesture like that means so much, and is part of the reason he’s quickly endearing himself to Dees fans. 

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Or he could just simply be having an off night in general?? Sometimes things simply don't go your way on game day, this happens.

Everyone is allowed to have a off day here and there without conclusions being jumped, especially mental health being brought into it.

Completely agree. 

Just a dumb joke. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Holy [censored]. For a minute I thought an opposition fan-base had hijacked this thread. Sadly, I’m wrong.

I never read the postgame thread after a loss for (what I think are) obvious reasons.

Because we won last night, I opened it and against my better judgment - as well as a warning from another DL-er to whom I should’ve listened - I started reading it. Could only get through the first three pages. I’m disgusted by the comments some “fans” made last night. Ok, it was immediately after the match, heightened emotions and all. But if you’re going to personally insult any of our players, do so in your head, and post afterwards when you’ve calmed down sufficiently.

Critiquing is expected and warranted. Calling a player “dumb” or “useless” isn’t. Suggesting Fritta be made to walk home for playing poorly, isn’t. Oh, and saying you can only assume Fritta’s girlfriend dumped him or his pet died is outrageously unwarranted and entirely unnecessary. These boys are human, you don’t know what may be going on in their lives.

This was only the first three pages! After a win, no less. Some ppl should be ashamed of themselves.

End of rant.

As you were.

❤️💙

Agree with you. Felt like a loss on Demonland!

Getting towards 60 years of supporting the Demons, can’t remember 64 flag as a 3YO Demon, our supporters can be very fickle.

Won 2021 flag with brilliant finals campaign. 2nd last year in H&A, but slumped through injury and fatigue in finals.

So in 2023 trying different things, as well highlighted by djr! Debut for McVee and JVR, Chandler getting a go, Petty tried up forward, and resting Trac, Oliver, Gawn during games! Goal kicking has improved, last night wasn’t great but still more goals than points.

Enjoy the wins, not every win will be perfect, support our players.

Someone steps up in the forward line, a bit of luck re winning the close ones like last night, a good run with injuries, and we will go close again this year!

The other bonus is getting a few extra picks from Freo let’s the Demons renew, so hopefully avoid a Hawks or Tigers like slump!

Be happy Demonlanders, it’s not 1980/81, or the Neeld years, we are in with a real shot this year!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

7 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

I’ll sheepishly put my hand up here, WCW. 

A flippant gag, but I didn’t actually mean any disrespect. I genuinely thought there was something bothering him mentally last night. He just seemed rattled and distant, and though I could have worded without the gallows-humour, my comment was actually intended to defend his poor performance. 

Thanks Mel. Very cool of you to listen, and explain. 💕

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My thoughts on the game.

The ones complaining about how poorly we played are the same ones who said this would be an easy win in the pre game thread. You can never please them and should be ashamed to think that this would be a walk in the park. Supporters are still not getting it that you still need to respect every team you play regardless of how poor they are. GC are a good team that's being poorly coached imo. If Damien Hardwick ends up there they'll easily play finals.

The QLD trip is nearly overcoming WA as one of the hardest trips on the road purely because of the climate and the fact that you're lucky to play there once every 2 years. It's still completely foreign.

The game was sloppy but it was such a grinding win. Had we played this game in thr 2nd half of last year then GC simply overrun us. So just shows we're mentally improved from our 2nd half fade outs.

I still hold some huge concerns with our forward line. It's a bit of a mess. That has to be Petty's last game as a forward. Either get Ben Brown in and tell him that it's time to compete and get on his bike otherwise against Collingwood and Geelong we'll be exposed big time.

Now is the time to get that forward structure settled especially coming up against the likes of Hawthorn and Freo.

Great win, and hopefully the lads recover well.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

17 minutes ago, djr said:

Where do I start....

• We are moving the ball quicker and forward, which is reflected in our increased metres gained numbers. We are rated #2.
  • We are using the corridor more than in previous years mainly due to the number of elite kickers we now have in the team. Ranked #1 for disposal efficiency.
  • We are more direct in our forward inside 50s. Not just kicking into the pocket. We are rated #1 for accuracy and goals inside 50. Last year we were in the bottom 4.
  • We're running more players through the midfield, particularly at centre bounces. Trac and Clarry are being rested more than in previous years, particularly during the third quarter, in order to be ready for the fourth quarter.
  • The gameplan has been tinkered with the recruitment of Grundy. There are more options with our kick-ins now with Max on one wing and Brodie on the other. We have become less predictable.
  • There seems to be a shift in our stoppage clearance strategy. We were ranked #8 last season and are ranked last this season. Clarry who is having great season, was ranked #1 last year for SC but is ranked #35 this year. So something has changed. I believe that there is now a greater importance on post clearance. A lot of teams are now bringing extra numbers to the stoppages allowing us to take advantage of the resulting mismatch elsewhere.

These are just a few of the changes we've made to our game plan. There are undoubtedly many more that we have not noticed. We're doing a lot of things right. We must be if we are sitting on top of the ladder. If you claim to be a big picture guy, you must agree with this.

All true. Though:

The gameplan has been tinkered with the recruitment of Grundy. There are more options with our kick-ins now with Max on one wing and Brodie on the other. We have become less predictable.

We would be less predictable if May actually kicked out to the right occasionally.  Or do we never have both Gawn and Grundy in those positions when they are both on the ground?

• Like 2

The problem with modern day commentators is that they confuse commentary with punditry. Just call the game and save the hyperbole for your spinoff show afterwards. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

The problem with modern day commentators is that they confuse commentary with punditry. Just call the game and save the hyperbole for your spinoff show afterwards. 

Exactly right Rab. Back in the 90s they had a caller or two and just one special comments person. That was enough, now every single play is commented on. They need to simplify it again.

• Like 8

Just now, Dee Zephyr said:

Exactly right Rab. Back in the 90s they had a caller or two and just one special comments person. That was enough, now every single play is commented on. They need to simplify it again.

Yes ... way too much blah blah blah. Lyon & Buckley are worst with their over analysing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

There was a fair amount of enlightenment if you had have persisted.

Maybe I’ll continue reading it later. Reading the postgame on the way home from the match is how I know what happened, until such time as I get home and watch the replay. It’s also how I learn. But I won’t read it after a loss. Thought last night it’d be safe to do so. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sue said:

All true. Though:

We would be less predictable if May actually kicked out to the right occasionally.  Or do we never have both Gawn and Grundy in those positions when they are both on the ground?

You are right but there have been times where the two ruckmen have provided options on both wings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Maybe I’ll continue reading it later. Reading the postgame on the way home from the match is how I know what happened, until such time as I get home and watch the replay. It’s also how I learn. But I won’t read it after a loss. Thought last night it’d be safe to do so. 

It was a tough game but too many letting their emotions get to them through not acknowledging how well GC were playing.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, djr said:

Where do I start....

• We are moving the ball quicker and forward, which is reflected in our increased metres gained numbers. We are rated #2.
  • We are using the corridor more than in previous years mainly due to the number of elite kickers we now have in the team. Ranked #1 for disposal efficiency.
  • We are more direct in our forward inside 50s. Not just kicking into the pocket. We are rated #1 for accuracy and goals inside 50. Last year we were in the bottom 4.
  • We're running more players through the midfield, particularly at centre bounces. Trac and Clarry are being rested more than in previous years, particularly during the third quarter, in order to be ready for the fourth quarter.
  • The gameplan has been tinkered with the recruitment of Grundy. There are more options with our kick-ins now with Max on one wing and Brodie on the other. We have become less predictable.
  • There seems to be a shift in our stoppage clearance strategy. We were ranked #8 last season and are ranked last this season. Clarry who is having great season, was ranked #1 last year for SC but is ranked #35 this year. So something has changed. I believe that there is now a greater importance on post clearance. A lot of teams are now bringing extra numbers to the stoppages allowing us to take advantage of the resulting mismatch elsewhere.

These are just a few of the changes we've made to our game plan. There are undoubtedly many more that we have not noticed. We're doing a lot of things right. We must be if we are sitting on top of the ladder. If you claim to be a big picture guy, you must agree with this.

Nope not all, kick outs are the same as the last 2 years out to the left out to the left, so that has not changed so if you think that there is a shift in the game plan how come we got ripped a new butt by the lions and the Bombers, again I don't go with all these stats they are a crock of, well I won't say what I think.

The reason we are kicking better at goals is one thing and one thing only and that is they are running in and kicking straight over the mark it's that simple and that is something that Choco has done this year, gone back to how the greats forwards kicked.

So no nothing much has changed, I bet you were one that thought that we would go back to back flags, well I said after round 9 or 10 that if we played the same way as 21 we would not win it so I will stick to my thoughts how they play, but I am hoping they change the forward setup to get it more open so players like BB and co get more space to run into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Like the saying goes, you only play as well as you're allowed to.  Suns did well but we're more experienced and have more belief.

More than any other player in the team (excepting maybe Fritsch), Chandler knows where the goals are. A very useful attribute for a forward.

Also promising is Jvrs accuracy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, loges said:

It was a tough game but too many letting their emotions get to them through not acknowledging how well GC were playing.

Loges....why do crucial decisions get made at crucial places and crucial times, as if not random and penalty plus, and try to spare the hyperbole and heat of the moment stuff.  Its as if its meant to have real impact to the flow.

• Like 1

Another hard tough gritty win, I thought that they had five of the top eight players out there and we struggled a bit with ground ball gets particularly in the second half. Good to see Sparrow, Riv, McVee and Bowey all strong in the contest, felt a bit sorry for Disco would have preferred it if Petty was standing beside him and Harmes was good when he came on. Was surprised that Fritta missed three on the trot very unusual for our No.31 But got the 4 points and we can move onto the Hawks next week. As Chaplin pointed out 3 games in 12 days that’s getting a bit ridiculous.!!!!

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The Club decides if the players greet the crowd after a win. If it was up to the players I’m sure they’d love to do an entire lap high-fiving as many as possible, especially after a win interstate.

One thing that was noticed last night is when the players were about to go back down to the rooms, Brodie walked a few feet away from the group and faced us (opposite end of the ground) and waved enthusiastically. He gave us the devil horns then waved again. A gesture like that means so much, and is part of the reason he’s quickly endearing himself to Dees fans. 

Brodie Grundy is obviously a ripper bloke. Disgraceful the way the pies treated him. Their loss, our gain. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

51 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Agree with you. Felt like a loss on Demonland!

Getting towards 60 years of supporting the Demons, can’t remember 64 flag as a 3YO Demon, our supporters can be very fickle.

Won 2021 flag with brilliant finals campaign. 2nd last year in H&A, but slumped through injury and fatigue in finals.

So in 2023 trying different things, as well highlighted by djr! Debut for McVee and JVR, Chandler getting a go, Petty tried up forward, and resting Trac, Oliver, Gawn during games! Goal kicking has improved, last night wasn’t great but still more goals than points.

Enjoy the wins, not every win will be perfect, support our players.

Someone steps up in the forward line, a bit of luck re winning the close ones like last night, a good run with injuries, and we will go close again this year!

The other bonus is getting a few extra picks from Freo let’s the Demons renew, so hopefully avoid a Hawks or Tigers like slump!

Be happy Demonlanders, it’s not 1980/81, or the Neeld years, we are in with a real shot this year!

It's almost, as if, supporters are never happy.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Loges....why do crucial decisions get made at crucial places and crucial times, as if not random and penalty plus, and try to spare the hyperbole and heat of the moment stuff.  Its as if its meant to have real impact to the flow.

Are you taking about the umpires or the players?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BDA said:

Brodie Grundy is obviously a ripper bloke. Disgraceful the way the pies treated him. Their loss, our gain. 

Disgraceful is a bit of a stretch..

AFL is business now and they made a decision they thought would benefit their list. Getting rid of Grundy enables them to get in Hill, Mitchell, Frampton and McStay. Smart list management if you ask me because they've all contributed greatly so far this year.

Think they're regretting the decision? Absolutely not, they'll be laughing. They've had a make shift ruckman in Billy Frampton for the past few weeks and yet are still churning out wins.

They're in a great spot list management wise after a couple of years of getting it wrong.

• Like 2