POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

45 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Did anyone else think the umpiring was questionable, or was that just me?

Richo against his old side, several times said we got wrong decisions. That in itself is very unusual.

Didn’t hear the commentators once say we got a free we shouldn’t.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

Did anyone else think the umpiring was questionable, or was that just me?

It was appalling. It is so bad , that it’s a reason to stop going to the footy. It’s not just today but it has been like that for years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Vomit 1

• Demonland changed the title to POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond
15 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

And yet this never ever ever gets paid. Until tonight. 

I didn’t understand when I saw it and Lever clearly doesn’t know the rule, or had a brain fade. But if that’s the rule then he broke it.

On the other hand you and Richo are both correct, that it’s never been paid until tonight.

We seem to make a habit of creating new decisions by umpires when we play.

The non 50 to ANB was mind boggling, as was the standard of umpiring on the whole tonight.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 14
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Richo against his old side, several times said we got wrong decisions. That in itself is very unusual.

Didn’t hear the commentators once say we got a free we shouldn’t.

Red what was the free for to Kozzy on the boundary towards the end?

Couldn't see at the ground.  Downfield?

43 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Take the win for sure, still so much work to do. Seriously need to work out what our best forward mix and build it around JVR.

Just on JVR, there was some Seriously embarrassing comments from supporters in the game day thread. Same ones are now praising him? C'mon..

Brodie Grundy was nearly the clincher for me. I thought he really changed the momentum for us. I know this comment won't be well received, but I think I prefer Grundy rucking more then I do with Gawn. Grundy just places its beautiful to our mids where as Gawn can be really hit and miss. And that's no disrespect to Gawn because I think he's more potent up forward. Was certainly good to have big skip back.

Glad Viney was awarded BOG

Bad: Hibberd, Oliver and May were absolutely howlers tonight. 3 senior heads who continued to cough up the ball in crucial times of the game. May's form is a worry and Oliver has gone back to just throwing the ball on the boot with zero awareness. 

Take the 4 points, recover well and move on to next Saturday. 

Disappointingly he even missed some targets when he was spotting them up.

• Like 1

That was a tough battle, Richmond brought the heat but we hung tough despite some of the worst umpiring I’ve seen in a long while.

Shows what JVR is made of to come back and grab the game by the throat like that.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

Can’t agree on Pig. He wasn’t great but he [censored] down that guy who kicked three in the first after qtr time. Usage wasn’t great at times but was decent without being great.

I think Hibberd was our best Defender and after Viney was our second best 4 quarter player.  Tigers brought real tackling and in your face intensity, so a couple of panic disposals resulting in turnovers, in a high turnover game would be expected.   I don’t quite understand the lack of appreciation for Hibberd amongst many on this site. Couldn’t believe that many didn’t have Hibberd in their pre season best 22’s.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

23 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

That was a brilliant game, all those dismissing it are not crediting Richmond who really brought the heat. Richmond won the 1st quarter and then our team went to work. Exactly the sort of effort you want to see. JVR, haven't been as excited about one of our forwards since Schwarz in 1995! McVee is playing like Jarred Rivers did on debut, just so bloody reliable and clutch. Quickly becoming my favourite player, he's one of those guys that doesn't drop his head, just goes every time, not a confidence player, just a player and will get a RS this year. It was a hard game to watch because it was close, we are too used to perfection, but we won, we are still a team you can trust.

Jack Viney, people can go punch themselves in the heads when they bag him, you just don't understand football, it's not ice dancing. I honestly feel like he is one of the reasons (along with N.Jones) that we got through the dark years. Did you see the way he barreled in when JVR was getting kneed? (shout out to Grundy as well), provided pressure but didn't give away a silly free, tell me that you don't walk taller with the way the team back each other.

Our defense is so much better with Lever and Hibberd in it, and I am still firmly in the Petty forward camp, feel like today was proof. He stretched Richmond and Fritsch was unlucky to not get off the leash. Time and again he provided body and protection.

Gawn, welcome back, our rucks managed to swing the game after we arrested the early damage. Brayshaw super reliable, another huge team man, ran all day, huge km, likewise Langdon, just got where he needed to be, great efficiency lovely goal. This ruck combination, if fit, will clean up this season.

Petracca and Oliver got into the game, Oliver looked to really think his way through disposals today, and that 2nd qtr goal was class under pressure. Trac did thing that I take for granted and shouldn't, great presence.

Chandler another tribute to our recruiting and craft brining young men on.

ANB provided huge defensive pressure and run, easily tracking for best season so far.  Carlton can take their beauty queen bunch of a team, I will take the ANB's and Chandlers that just do a power of work to get the best out of themselves and play a role perfectly in a team game.

May needs a reset, he's riding the wrong emotions in game, needs to get his head right, am worried he's NQR 'cos his calf isn't right for explosive movements feel like he's going to cost us a free or two in critical moments. Bowey is still a bit off but after a booboo he laid a smother that Bradley Hill would've been proud of, was pleased he kept his head in the game, but at the moment if Salem is fit, Bowey is who I would drop.

Umps sucked, but our class is such we didn't drop our heads. Loved the Crowd, we match Richmond for Noise, well done @WCW and others.

More to say but am dealing with Sudan right now, this is the first time off I've had in seven days, 18hr days, 3 colleagues killed, after distributing rations to refugees, another three shot (one of who we couldn't extract for 3 days, a good friend kidnapped, and dear friends still trapped inside. That and I've lost everything I own, clothes, photos/HD, blah blah, but seriously seeing the stress of friends who cannot get out of a warzone is emotionally tough, my french colleague was in Cairo for weekend and her kids were trapped for a week, one 10yo son with a family in Amarat, the 8yo daughter in Riyad with the nanny and noone else, they only just made it to Djibouti yesterday, mum is going insane. I needed today, thanks Dees.  

Lotsa love to you Dee Fence. 

Hope watching the Dees have a win gave you a little reprieve from some horrible stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

And yet this never ever ever gets paid. Until tonight. 

You're not wrong, but that doesn't mean the umpire is making up rules or interpreting them in their own way.

It's a rule, written in black and white with a picture to boot. There's no excuse from Lever for not knowing it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Red what was the free for to Kozzy on the boundary towards the end?

Couldn't see at the ground.  Downfield?

Late bump on Viney

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, goodwindees said:

I think Hibberd was our best Defender and after Viney was our second best 4 quarter player.  Tigers brought real tackling and in your face intensity, so a couple of panic disposals resulting in turnovers, in a high turnover game would be expected.   I don’t quite understand the lack of appreciation for Hibberd amongst many on this site. Couldn’t believe that many didn’t have Hibberd in their pre season best 22’s.  

We have to be careful with Hibbo rest him when he needs it preserve him for a finals assault in September.

Always loved his intensity, you need players of that ilk if your balls deep in September.

How clutch is Chandler by the way?

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, layzie said:

What did you guys think of the umpiring?

I rarely lose my sh.t when it comes to umps , but fair dinkum layz, the two decisions against Gus one for deliberate and the other for ball when he clearly got a boot on it had me blowing a valve. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

Just now, Dee Zephyr said:

I rarely lose my sh.t when it comes to umps , but fair dinkum layz, the two decisions against Gus one for deliberate and the other for ball when he clearly got a boot on it had me blowing a valve. 

It was beyond the pale Zeph. The government should have stepped in.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

It’s a bit of a throwaway line. Everyone knows how to beat everyone if they can execute better for longer.. Sounds like a coach who knows their season is over. 

Just like Brisbane in 01,02,03 everyone knew how to beat them, they just couldn't do it in the big games.

Did Damien just suck on one of my 🍋

😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good to get the win but hopefully the team learns some lessons from that.

Petty isn’t a forward and needs to go back.

Hibbo is done unless injures dictate he plays,  he gets beaten way to often these days and has lost a step, I counted his direct opponents kicking 4 goals tonight possibly more

Tmac or Brown needs to always play to assist Vanrooyen, a forward line consisting of him Petty and resting ruck won’t work against any sides come finals.

All in all we just got lucky tigers aren’t the team they were.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I didn’t understand when I saw it and Lever clearly doesn’t know the rule, or had a brain fade. But if that’s the rule then he broke it.

On the other hand you and Richo are both correct, that it’s never been paid until tonight.

We seem to make a habit of creating new decisions by umpires when we play.

The non 50 to ANB was mind boggling, as was the standard of umpiring on the whole tonight.

Need to vent about this.

Brayshaws deliberate out of bounds whilst leaping to spoil a pass to a Richmond player. What the F was he supposed to do differently?

Push in the back in full view of the umpire on the same wing by the tall young kid for Richmond. (Don’t get me started on pushing in the back in general, but this was as CLEAR as it gets) 

Genuinely don’t like umpire bashing, but the ANB non-50 and the two I mentioned (probably many others), I cannot see how those outcomes were reached and how there could be so many horrible decisions in one game. 

Edited by BoBo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Tom Dyson said:

Van Rooyen is going to be a genuine star for us, how many young forwards have a quiet one for three quarters and turn it around in a matter of a quarter. 

Gotta be mark of the year contender. 

Frittata's just before half time was a contender - then the bloody maggot reversed it.  I didn't see why.

But JVR stood up when needed ... well done.  3 goals and an assist from a handful of disposals - he makes the most of it.

1 hour ago, deva5610 said:

But he wasn't outside 5 metres behind the mark, hence the free kick. If he had stayed 5 metres out there wouldn't have been a free paid.

To be absolutely clear - The protected area extends 5 metres behind the player on the mark, and 10 metres either side.

Screenshot2023-04-24205500.thumb.jpg.cb14e135aeceb3f2a67d5845bb5bb55e.jpg

That interpretation has NEVER been adjudicated before.   Every game we see times when. there are 2 on the mark and several alongside - and it has NEVER been paid before.

53 minutes ago, BDA said:

Grundy was great. Loved the way he flew the flag when the richmond player left the knee on JVR's head after he took that pack mark.

That was a filthy deliberate knee to the guy on the ground.  Was it Cotchin?  Certainly his style, (and of course Sam Mitchell classic.)

47 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Rooter me now!  Well i didnt say last game but yeh some work needed!

Yes, some work needed but wow!  Stood up when needed.  A very competitive beast in a marking contest.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Are we using Kosi the right way? He’s a strong overhead mark (not a fan of his mark of the year attempts that just result in giving away free kicks) and can be electric and elusive when the ball hits the ground. Good set shot and creates his own magic. Should we give him longer stints deep in the fwd line? Also at some centre bounces he’s lining up wide on the 50 metre arc, I’d have him closer to goal, if we win the clearance and kick it long to a leading fwd he can be  front and centre for the drop of the ball to either take possession or lay a tackle.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1