• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

2023 Preseason Practice Games

adonski

• Demonland changed the title to 2023 Preseason Practice Game

Happy with a preseason practice match against the Tigers. 

We last took them on in a preseason game in 2021 (albeit that it was an unofficial game at Casey Fields) when they were the reigning premiers and we won narrowly to set the scene for our premiership. 

Encore!

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Happy with a preseason practice match against the Tigers. 

We last took them on in a preseason game in 2021 (albeit that it was an unofficial game at Casey Fields) when they were the reigning premiers and we won narrowly to set the scene for our premiership. 

Encore!

100% agree.

We played the roos in the corresponding game last season. And smashed them.

But the roos were a rabble - and super young to boot. Men against boys. 

We were pretty wound up for that 2021 practice match against the tigers, who had near their best 22 IIRC. 

It was a willing contest that the dees looked intent on winning.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that would prefer that there were no pre-season practice matches against other AFL sides? I like the idea of going into Round 1 with every team's supporters having their hopes sky high because none have been disappointed by practice match results. 

I'm happy for AFL teams to play practice matches against VFL (or SANFL, etc) teams.

I expect that teams might be a bit rustier come Round 1, but everyone is in the same boat so I don't see that particular issue being a problem. And I'm not sure one formal practice match does much to condition players anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Am I the only one that would prefer that there were no pre-season practice matches against other AFL sides? I like the idea of going into Round 1 with every team's supporters having their hopes sky high because none have been disappointed by practice match results. 

I'm happy for AFL teams to play practice matches against VFL (or SANFL, etc) teams.

I expect that teams might be a bit rustier come Round 1, but everyone is in the same boat so I don't see that particular issue being a problem. And I'm not sure one formal practice match does much to condition players anyway. 

Not sure if full time professional athletes going up against part time athletes who work full time is appropriate preparation....

I'd prefer the solid hitout against an AFL club. 1 game only.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Imagine the meltdown on here if we were to lose to Woodville-West Torrens

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not sure if full time professional athletes going up against part time athletes who work full time is appropriate preparation....

I'd prefer the solid hitout against an AFL club. 1 game only.

I'd be more worried about some [censored] from a junior league thinking he can make a name for himself by decking a star AFL player.  (Or getting him reported for retaliating.)

Edited by sue
  • Like 2

Practice matches give teams the chance to try out their game plans for the season.  One practice match doesn’t really give you much of an opportunity to work on it, will be interesting to see how teams go in R1. 
One praccy match could be the reason why our intensity is through the roof and why our Casey training sessions are currently closed to the public. A big focus on the game plan heading into the Bulldogs.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rumpole said:

From memory those practice matches were streamed through the afl.com.au website which would be greatly appreciated. 

I think I just heard Dwayne Russell on SEN say all "official" practice games like this one will be on Foxtel/Kayo.  I expect any unoffical games we play against other AFL clubs will be streamed on the AFL site.

Edited by Vipercrunch
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

If you’re giving up hopes based on a practice match then either your team is stuffed or you’re way too reactive.

I think they’re important for conditioning. Even if it just minimises those classic round 1 cramps.

But I do wonder if they shouldn’t be televised. Or only streamed through the clubs websites. There is something nice about the year starting with that sense of the unknown.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, old dee said:

I hope the game is at the punt road ground I can get there. 

If it is you'll need to get there early. The grandstand was conveniently condemned allowing them to knock it down. Not sure if that has been done but at best it will be a construction site with no seats. Not much space in the rest of the ground. Maximum capacity probably under 3k.

You could lobby for Windy Hill perhaps .... A bit of 70's character left in that ground still

Casey is a llllong way.. I agree

• Like 2

Bring back the days where 

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Guessing you weren’t a fan of the early 90’s where clubs played up to 5 pre season games when factoring in the Panasonic/Fosters cup and other practice matches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Bring back the days where 

Guessing you weren’t a fan of the early 90’s where clubs played up to 5 pre season games when factoring in the Panasonic/Fosters cup and other practice matches.

Correct. I also understand the economic value of scarcity. Something too many sports do not understand, cricket being a perfect example. The AFL and its broadcast partners* don't fully understand the concept, either, hence we get Thursday night football and silly ideas like AFLX.

*Actually, I think the Seven Network understands but doesn't care. It only thinks in the short-term, being the length of the broadcast deal.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

If it is you'll need to get there early. The grandstand was conveniently condemned allowing them to knock it down. Not sure if that has been done but at best it will be a construction site with no seats. Not much space in the rest of the ground. Maximum capacity probably under 3k.

You could lobby for Windy Hill perhaps .... A bit of 70's character left in that ground still

Casey is a llllong way.. I agree

That’s even better DJ I enjoy going there to watch Casey when we play there, or perhaps even Coburg for their local ale. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, old dee said:

That’s even better DJ I enjoy going there to watch Casey when we play there, or perhaps even Coburg for their local ale. 

Don't think we've had a game at Coburg since they remodelled the outer side of the ground. It certainly was a lovely venue not to mention convenient

• Like 2

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to 2023 Preseason Practice Games