Membership Tally 2023

george_on_the_outer

10 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Apologies, but 58er kicked me backed into life. The truth is that 5 products equals one member. That is why 66,000 becomes 59,000. Just deal with it......and stop repeating the falsehood.

You don't have to believe me - ring the Club's Company Secretary.

The title of this thread is 'Membership Tally'.  It is not 'Members Tally'.  So discussion herein is for the number of memberships, or using your word 'products' sold. 

Memberships (or products) is the AFL's KPI - it is not something used by mfc or other clubs to dupe the public or other stakeholders.

Noone is pretending that the number of memberships equals the number of members.  I don't know why you persist in telling us the difference when everyone understands the difference.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Apologies, but 58er kicked me backed into life. The truth is that 5 products equals one member. That is why 66,000 becomes 59,000. Just deal with it......and stop repeating the falsehood.

If I buy 10 Memberships and i give them to 10 different people, that is 10 Memberships. Now stop trolling this site trying to destabilize The Club. 
Your motives have been quite obvious for months 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Does a dog or cat count, and do they have voting rights?

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Sorry 58er, you are incorrect -  the Company Secretary's affidavit before the Victorian Supreme Court confirmed that our 66,000 members at the end of last year translates into 59,000 individuals, and just over 42,000 voting members.

I understand that one individual member was counted 11 times in the 66,000, because he has multiple Club products (not seats) and not because he has a large family. That is how the Ticketmaster data base lists them.

Happy to post the extract from the Affidavit again if you like - all publicly available.

I suspect this inflation of numbers is the same for all Clubs (because they all use the same system) so you can compare our 66,000 with other Club's declarations, if that is why we are following this tally.

If we are still getting the numbers from that system, then it is an inaccurate member number.

Yes, those 11 products represents a lot of money (a lot of chocolate) - my point is simply that the 11 is (or was?) just one person.

So what, happens at every club. Go and get a Hawyhorn membership.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

If I buy 10 Memberships and i give them to 10 different people, that is 10 Memberships. Now stop trolling this site trying to destabilize The Club. 
Your motives have been quite obvious for months 

Bit of a stretch there re destabilsiation - you keep repeating inaccuracies - if you sponsor 5 players for example, you are still just one member, but Ticketmaster will count each one of those sponsorships. Doesn't mean 4 other MFC 'friends' have a seat at the footy. Maybe that partially explains why attendances are regularly below the inflated membership number, regularly commented upon on this site.

One more time - it's an AFL issue, not just an MFC issue, but repeating the lie incessantly does not make it true.

• Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Bit of a stretch there re destabilsiation - you keep repeating inaccuracies - if you sponsor 5 players for example, you are still just one member, but Ticketmaster will count each one of those sponsorships. Doesn't mean 4 other MFC 'friends' have a seat at the footy. Maybe that partially explains why attendances are regularly below the inflated membership number, regularly commented upon on this site.

One more time - it's an AFL issue, not just an MFC issue, but repeating the lie incessantly does not make it true.

Toddle off will you

i am not interested in your constant Negative Campaign 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

8 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

the inflated membership number, regularly commented upon on this site.

Is it?  It is the number of memberships (products) actually sold which is accurate and verifiable by auditors etc.

We all know that number is greater than the actual number of members but it is not wrong nor inflated.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Again, it’s about membership revenue not about numbers. 

The Saints gave out $1 memberships last year to meet goals…

Those that only care about member numbers for the purposes of ‘voting’ are telling on themselves.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rpfc said:

Again, it’s about membership revenue not about numbers. 

The Saints gave out $1 memberships last year to meet goals…

Those that only care about member numbers for the purposes of ‘voting’ are telling on themselves.

So we're in agreement - last year's 66,000 is NOT 66,000 members. That is what has been established in this thread. And all Clubs inflate that membership number, with the AFL's imprimatur. Not 'toddling' anywhere....

• Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

38 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

So we're in agreement - last year's 66,000 is NOT 66,000 members. That is what has been established in this thread. And all Clubs inflate that membership number, with the AFL's imprimatur. Not 'toddling' anywhere....

Oh I’m sorry, did I give the impression I gave a flying? 

Consider my posts in this thread, and specifically about your rudimentary crusade, as similar to the perfunctory discussion one has while reading the morning paper with uninteresting people.

• Haha 4
  • Clap 1

45 minutes ago, Hawk the Demon said:

What a Shame. No one is interested. You are a Minion of PL. Enough is Enough 

We Sold 66,000 Memberships last year. That must be bothering you, because you keep trying to tear it down 

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, FearTheBeard said:

Anyone brave enough to think we might get to 70K this year? I think we will fall just short but it is still amazing that in 10 years our membership figure has doubled when we are not a massive club. 

Apart from 2021 when there was a big jump toward the end of the season, for obvious reasons, there hasn't been much change historically from the increase in numbers from about early April. 

i.e. we are up by about 2-3,000 on last year, which will get us to about 68-69k by year end.

• Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Apart from 2021 when there was a big jump toward the end of the season, for obvious reasons, there hasn't been much change historically from the increase in numbers from about early April. 

i.e. we are up by about 2-3,000 on last year, which will get us to about 68-69k by year end.

As long as young kids jump on Board. That’s the lifeblood we need to target 

Solid wins against good teams is what gets a kid’s attention 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

It’s crazy that 10k members sign up midway through the season. Surely most would be 3 game memberships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

68-69k is a solid number and in terms of year on year % growth bodes well. I'd imagine that we have a core ~40-45k of rusted on supporters and the rest would mostly be new supporters we have picked up in the past 5 years. These new supporters should also help in converting new supporters in future years so these numbers should continue to increase at a steady pace over the next 5 years.

• Like 3

Our growth has been solid, but so has pretty much every other club's who have been a contender over a 4-5 year period.

The only way we'll break through that next barrier is by winning multiple flags over this period.

I'd love someone to compare our growth to that of all other contending teams over the last decade. I can't imagine our growth would be the highest.

Over time the AFL attracts more supporters given the population growth and therefor so do all clubs. And there's naturally a bump for a team when they're in a premiership window.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer but I don't think our numbers are as amazing as some suggest. Just the norm for a club who has won a flag and is still in contention.

As an example, St Kilda are at around 52,000 members, 5k less than us. And they've been bog ordinary for a while now.

And the big boys just keep getting bigger when they perform. Carlton mid 80k and Collingwood over 90k.

Generally, nothing has changed.

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Our growth has been solid, but so has pretty much every other club's who have been a contender over a 4-5 year period.

The only way we'll break through that next barrier is by winning multiple flags over this period.

I'd love someone to compare our growth to that of all other contending teams over the last decade. I can't imagine our growth would be the highest.

Over time the AFL attracts more supporters given the population growth and therefor so do all clubs. And there's naturally a bump for a team when they're in a premiership window.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer but I don't think our numbers are as amazing as some suggest. Just the norm for a club who has won a flag and is still in contention.

I think most of us are just happy to be part of a club that is regularly in contention and growing at a healthy rate. I don’t think we are doing better than other clubs with a similar recent history, it is just that we have been irrelevant for so long this feels great and we want to pat ourselves on the back a bit. Surely after what we’ve been through in the last 10-15 years we’ve earned it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FlashInThePan said:

I think most of us are just happy to be part of a club that is regularly in contention and growing at a healthy rate. I don’t think we are doing better than other clubs with a similar recent history, it is just that we have been irrelevant for so long this feels great and we want to pat ourselves on the back a bit. Surely after what we’ve been through in the last 10-15 years we’ve earned it.

Yeh, I'm happy too.

There have just been some posts that have been a bit over the top with 'how well we're doing' membership-wise, when really we're just seeing a slight bump due to being a contender which happens to all clubs.

• Like 1

In simple terms, my take on all this is that there must be some correlation between number of members and club revenue. Therefore more the merrier - not really fussed how it is counted.

But my real interest is to see more of our fans (members or not) actually attend our games.

Adds to the atmosphere for starters and I can only think that it helps our players.  There is no doubt in my mind that in our last game against Collingwood, their supporters got them over the line.

So….. gear up your family and friends for the Anzac clash. And the King’ birthday clash will upon us sooner than you think. (If you are struggling to find demon friends then just get Collingwood haters to come along- plenty of those people around). 

Turning up to games (for those of us that can) and making some noise is about the most tangible way we can actually help our players on game day. GO DEES 

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1