Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Membership Tally 2023


george_on_the_outer

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Amazing to think how far we've come in 10 years 💙❤️

We were at 26,751 members this time in 2013. At 52,738 we are literally twice the club now to what we were then. 

And whilst the season still hasn’t even started, we have already passed our FINAL membership tally of every year of our existence aside from 2021 and ‘22. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just trawled through the 2022 membership thread to get our membership count for this time last year (god we post a lot of rubbish just by the way). It was 49,667 and that was directly following our GF win. It is a really good sign for us that we are still growing strongly. If we keep going this way breaking 70k this year should be doable and 75k a tough stretch but not out of the question.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FlashInThePan said:

Just trawled through the 2022 membership thread to get our membership count for this time last year (god we post a lot of rubbish just by the way). It was 49,667 and that was directly following our GF win. It is a really good sign for us that we are still growing strongly. If we keep going this way breaking 70k this year should be doable and 75k a tough stretch but not out of the question.

no need to trawl......just look at the first post on thread where it is all summarised

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will be really interesting to see how the massive hike in cost of living and interest rates will impact membership and attendance across the league this year.

They are upping the cost of food and drinks at games, but ticket prices seem to have remained the same.

It would also be interesting to see if clubs who have a lower socio-economic supporter base will see a bigger hit to membership numbers, whereas I imagine West Coast fans will still go on wait lists to pay $2000 to watch their team suck 🤪

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2023 at 12:36 AM, FearTheBeard said:

I didn't say our crowds fell off at the end.

We were not outnumbered by a small number at the game, we were mobbed.

There were at least 50,000 of them, the ground was shaking in the 4th quarter when they hit the front.

Finals crowds will always bring the fair weather supporters regardless of the clubs plus 5000+ neutrals.

ur crowds this yea for round 1, Anzac eve and KB are a huge watch. They need to be over 50, 70 and 75 respectively and round 1 ticket sales are not good.

 

 

On 3/12/2023 at 10:56 AM, 58er said:

You intervened snd commented on a comment I made to another's post. And made the point about Finals. Aren't I allowed to comment on all of your response. 

How do you know that Round1  tickets are not good?

You haven't got the MFC members who are coming like the old days with their card So you can't estimate them. Or MCC members either same way. 

I haven't booked because I have my card either.  Maybe if you add 20/30,000 MFC to the sales that might improve the numbers, and MCC then!! 

Cwood are always noisiest at the end when Thayer are on top. 

In 2017 who made all the noise when Wattsy kicked that famous goal on QB?   No the Pies fans. That was the loudest H and A roar from Dees fans I have ever heard. Final prob goals in the Semi vs Cats in 2018.  And from support of WA neutrals in Perth on GF day when we kicked goals in the third quarter.  I was there!! 

The Watts goal in 2017 QB game was indeed the loudest I have ever heard our fan base in a Home and away game. However, your point is irrelevant to what I am saying. Where was the roar when Neal Bullen put us in front in the 4th quarter last year? All I am saying is that despite us having the 5th highest attendances last year, they were greatly inflated by opposition fans at the MCG against Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond.

I go on ticketek and see that the areas they have put on sale as reserved seats M7-M12, M54-M57, M1-M2 are at best 50% sold. The MCC has only opened up 4 bays on level 4 and the AFL reserved is barely touched (I am an afl member and MCC member).

We will be lucky to get over 45,000 imo, I hope we get way more, but I am not unrealistic and the Footscray fans don't like to cross the Westgate.

The game against Geelong in 2018 was an EF not a semi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

 

The Watts goal in 2017 QB game was indeed the loudest I have ever heard our fan base in a Home and away game. However, your point is irrelevant to what I am saying. Where was the roar when Neal Bullen put us in front in the 4th quarter last year? All I am saying is that despite us having the 5th highest attendances last year, they were greatly inflated by opposition fans at the MCG against Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond.

I go on ticketek and see that the areas they have put on sale as reserved seats M7-M12, M54-M57, M1-M2 are at best 50% sold. The MCC has only opened up 4 bays on level 4 and the AFL reserved is barely touched (I am an afl member and MCC member).

We will be lucky to get over 45,000 imo, I hope we get way more, but I am not unrealistic and the Footscray fans don't like to cross the Westgate.

The game against Geelong in 2018 was an EF not a semi.

You are aware that patrons don't need to prebuy Seats any more in GA areas. Also it's different in MCC I believe although $10 is being charged to each member I believe for a reserved seat. 

So you don't know how many MFC members have switched back to the membership card for entry. This was the big point made by MFC members especially aged ones against going last year. 
 

Yes Doggies are not good at MCG so 10,000 might be their numbers. Why with all the talent they have is that? 

Really did it matter whether it was a Semi or elimination Final. 

MCC members are not vocal generally do smarten op your mob please. I have sat there Previously toCovid.  
 

We are disadvantaged by The NT Game each year you don't mention  that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/14/2023 at 10:15 AM, Jaded No More said:

Will be really interesting to see how the massive hike in cost of living and interest rates will impact membership and attendance across the league this year.

They are upping the cost of food and drinks at games, but ticket prices seem to have remained the same.

It would also be interesting to see if clubs who have a lower socio-economic supporter base will see a bigger hit to membership numbers, whereas I imagine West Coast fans will still go on wait lists to pay $2000 to watch their team suck 🤪

 

Would be surprised if there isn't some sort of hit to membership numbers across the board Jaded.  Some clubs might see a 'hope' uptick but i can't see that happening with many clubs from here.

We must be very close to tipping in to a recession, especially if we see another couple of interest rate rises along with further cost of living hikes on the way such as electricity rates.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Would be surprised if there isn't some sort of hit to membership numbers across the board Jaded.  Some clubs might see a 'hope' uptick but i can't see that happening with many clubs from here.

We must be very close to tipping in to a recession, especially if we see another couple of interest rate rises along with further cost of living hikes on the way such as electricity rates.

Winning is crucial this year. If we stay near the Top people will make sacrifices for Memberships. If we drop off numbers will stall

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Winning is crucial this year. If we stay near the Top people will make sacrifices for Memberships. If we drop off numbers will stall

Yes it's a pretty tried & true formula SW.

Fingers crossed we make a decent fist of things.  Will need some luck with injuries of course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am counted 3 times in our membership tally.

1. MFC/MCC Dual Membership which gives me a GA Membership

2. MFC/MCC Dual Membership which gives me a a Junior Membership (I give the pack to a friend's daughter but they don't go to games).

3. MFC KAYO Digital Membership which includes Armchair Membership.

Got to love some number inflation. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, roy11 said:

I am counted 3 times in our membership tally.

1. MFC/MCC Dual Membership which gives me a GA Membership

2. MFC/MCC Dual Membership which gives me a a Junior Membership (I give the pack to a friend's daughter but they don't go to games).

3. MFC KAYO Digital Membership which includes Armchair Membership.

Got to love some number inflation.

Yep, all clubs do it.

The bigger the club the more inflated their figures🙄

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Yep, all clubs do it.

The bigger the club the more inflated their figures🙄

Yeh it's understandable clubs want to fluff the number.

The funny part to me is people still use it as a metric in relation to attendance at games knowing full well the numbers aren't really legit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LH and Roy11 I like to keep it simple when I pay for a Membership whether it is a single or multiple memberships special deal I want it included in the count as it is a legitimate financial transaction.!! As long as the AFL recognise the numbers and it helps us become more relevant that is what is important.!!!

Edited by DeeZone
Added last paragraph.
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tincan said:

Membership tally sitting on 55,528. We've reached our second highest yearly membership tally at Round 1. Fantastic effort Dees!!

And that is with the season starting earlier than usual…

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, roy11 said:

I am counted 3 times in our membership tally.

1. MFC/MCC Dual Membership which gives me a GA Membership

2. MFC/MCC Dual Membership which gives me a a Junior Membership (I give the pack to a friend's daughter but they don't go to games).

3. MFC KAYO Digital Membership which includes Armchair Membership.

Got to love some number inflation. 

 

Memberships are counted as a single item irrespective if you have 1, 2 or say 3 different ones. That is not inflating. If you buy say Easter eggs one a bunny another egg shape and a third a bilby that is also three eggs!!

What  is the difference?

Some fail to acknowledge  that those 3 memberships can be utilised by 3 different people on any occasion that ticket is qualified to be used, or not if the purchaser elects. 

Some people like Hawk/ Demon seem to not understand this and think the Club is conveniently misrepresenting our membership figures.

Car CO's owners sell 3 cars  it is 3 no matter if the purchase is by the 3 items individually or as a group in one transaction.

End of story. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

DC Just need to get back on the Winners list and 65-70k is a reality.!!!

75k (target) will be a bit of a stretch

but yes winning will always help

and just like monty python sang in the meaning of life "every membership is sacred"

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2023 at 11:57 AM, 58er said:

Memberships are counted as a single item irrespective if you have 1, 2 or say 3 different ones. That is not inflating. If you buy say Easter eggs one a bunny another egg shape and a third a bilby that is also three eggs!!

What  is the difference?

Some fail to acknowledge  that those 3 memberships can be utilised by 3 different people on any occasion that ticket is qualified to be used, or not if the purchaser elects. 

Some people like Hawk/ Demon seem to not understand this and think the Club is conveniently misrepresenting our membership figures.

Car CO's owners sell 3 cars  it is 3 no matter if the purchase is by the 3 items individually or as a group in one transaction.

End of story. 

 

Sorry 58er, you are incorrect -  the Company Secretary's affidavit before the Victorian Supreme Court confirmed that our 66,000 members at the end of last year translates into 59,000 individuals, and just over 42,000 voting members.

I understand that one individual member was counted 11 times in the 66,000, because he has multiple Club products (not seats) and not because he has a large family. That is how the Ticketmaster data base lists them.

Happy to post the extract from the Affidavit again if you like - all publicly available.

I suspect this inflation of numbers is the same for all Clubs (because they all use the same system) so you can compare our 66,000 with other Club's declarations, if that is why we are following this tally.

If we are still getting the numbers from that system, then it is an inaccurate member number.

Yes, those 11 products represents a lot of money (a lot of chocolate) - my point is simply that the 11 is (or was?) just one person.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hawk the Demon said:

Sorry 58er, you are incorrect -  the Company Secretary's affidavit before the Victorian Supreme Court confirmed that our 66,000 members at the end of last year translates into 59,000 individuals, and just over 42,000 voting members.

I understand that one individual member was counted 11 times in the 66,000, because he has multiple Club products (not seats) and not because he has a large family. That is how the Ticketmaster data base lists them.

Happy to post the extract from the Affidavit again if you like - all publicly available.

I suspect this inflation of numbers is the same for all Clubs (because they all use the same system) so you can compare our 66,000 with other Club's declarations, if that is why we are following this tally.

If we are still getting the numbers from that system, then it is an inaccurate member number.

Yes, those 11 products represents a lot of money (a lot of chocolate) - my point is simply that the 11 is (or was?) just one person.

 

 

 

 


 

IF I BUY 5 Memberships that equals 5 Memberships

 

Edited by george_on_the_outer
attempting to cirumvent profanity filter
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 382

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 80

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 286

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...