• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

The machinations of our game plan are complex, but to date we've only really had Max and Grundy playing ruck and forward. Why not split them up a bit? For instance when we go forward often we have both as targets next to each other, competing for the same ball. Similarly when May kicks out it is often to dual targets on that left wing. Couldn't Grundy run to the opposite wing and draw a big defender, create a mismatch? Maybe station himself in the corridor as a marking target?

In the forward line, why not provide an option in the opposite pocket to free up BBB or Gawn?

But maybe this about numbers at the ball and the overall gameplan...

The other thing is having either ruckmen a kick behind the play? We don't seem to do that and was one of the reasons why Essendon got us early in the year with Phillips and Draper killing us.

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Macca said:

I reckon we have to wait and see what unfolds ... although, your changes could well come to fruition

Back a couple of months ago I was projecting JVR to be a mainstay CHF by this stage of the season so I'm still holding out hope that he can nail down that role

As for Brown, it's all about his legs and whether he can get back to decent form

A predicted dry Sunday afternoon could see JVR & Brown get amongst it

Adelaide are a dangerous opponent but if we can deliver the ball well to our 2 KPF's, we can get them both into some sort of form

Wouldn't it be grand if the 2 of them were to snag 6 or 7 goals as a pair?

Grundy probably plays at least 1 game at Casey?  But I'm guessing, deevs

Yea. It's a crapshoot at this point in time. I think Goody has given up on Petty fwd and I'm not sure if we will see Smithy trialled there unless through injury. Will Milk continue with his winning form too? It's interesting times but would love to see Jvr and Bbb kick seven

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

55 minutes ago, Demonland said:

From the article:

"Demons legend Garry Lyon has conceded he thinks its “unlikely” Brodie Grundy will remain at the club next year after he’s fallen out of favour in his preferred No. 1 ruck position.....

Given the nature of Gundy’s exit from Collingwood, former Magpies coach Nathan Buckley suggested the dual All-Australian would have his head around the nature of the business.

“One thing that we know is Brodie Grundy is not under any illustrations about how cutthroat and professional this game is,” Buckley told On the Couch."

I think they are drawing the wrong conclusions

:mahoney2:

Edited by binman
Bolded bit in case the gag gets missed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Okay, I'm going to go full rant mode here. I'm sick to death of the media discourse around Brodie Grundy at the moment, and the so called sports journos' tendency to stick the knife in, having him being traded, it hasn't worked, etc etc.

It was always Melbourne's plan to have Brodie as a ruck/forward combination, and it was always the club's intention to have him play some VFL games to strengthen his forward craft. The only thing that delayed that from happening sooner was Gawn getting injured and waiting for him to get back to full strength. This has now happened, hence Grundy was named for the 2s. To say the Gawn/Grundy combination isn't working and it's all Grundy's fault is, pardon my French, complete [censored]. As a ruck combination, they outrucked Cox/Cameron combination, they outrucked the Jackson/Darcy combination in Fremantle. In fact they have consistently outrucked the opposition throughout the season. If there was ANY reason for lack of efficiency, it could be put more down to the fact Gawn's knee injury at the start of the season prevented him from being his best. Not Grundy.

In fact for the weeks Gawn was out injured, Grundy was invaluable, he proved his worth in my books. Grundy isn't going anywhere.

Media hacks, lay off. We know how much these so called "professionals" hate Melbourne.  They've moved on from Oliver onto a new target.  And it's not fair on Grundy.

Rant over.
Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 5
  • Clap 6

11 minutes ago, binman said:

From the article:

"Demons legend Garry Lyon has conceded he thinks its “unlikely” Brodie Grundy will remain at the club next year after he’s fallen out of favour in his preferred No. 1 ruck position.....

Given the nature of Gundy’s exit from Collingwood, former Magpies coach Nathan Buckley suggested the dual All-Australian would have his head around the nature of the business.

“One thing that we know is Brodie Grundy is not under any illustrations about how cutthroat and professional this game is,” Buckley told On the Couch."

I saw that and thought ‘Well you would say that Nathan, since you orchestrated the list management that forced them to implode’.

It’s not actually that cut throat a business. The media like to present it as such because it helps their narrative. If everyone involved wants it to work, and is currently doing everything they can to make it work, then it’s simply a work in process - 12 games in.

I can’t help but think all of this is just driving clicks for a Collingwood narrative about how they made ‘the right call’. Let’s just see come September. The big blokes thrive in finals contests, and I like our hand a lot more than theirs.

• Like 1

If he wasn’t ex filth there would be less interest.  These one hit pieces are ckickbait for the filth fans who want to believe that getting rid of him was a good move.  So woe is the MFC, and they are treating the old beloved son poorly.

not once have I heard a gripe from Grundy on any of this.  Not once have I heard any negativity from the club.  Brody is a very intelligent dude.  I’m sure he has had the conversation with club and knows exactly where he is at.

• Like 4

People have been sucked into the smaller picture and week to week stuff, myself included.

I still think it looks odd and I don't love the idea of paying a backup ruck 600k but there's plenty of season left to see how this plays out. Brodie would have been well aware of the possibility that things may not fall into place 100% perfect. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dee-tox said:

The machinations of our game plan are complex, but to date we've only really had Max and Grundy playing ruck and forward. Why not split them up a bit? For instance when we go forward often we have both as targets next to each other, competing for the same ball. Similarly when May kicks out it is often to dual targets on that left wing. Couldn't Grundy run to the opposite wing and draw a big defender, create a mismatch? Maybe station himself in the corridor as a marking target?

In the forward line, why not provide an option in the opposite pocket to free up BBB or Gawn?

But maybe this about numbers at the ball and the overall gameplan...

The other thing is having either ruckmen a kick behind the play? We don't seem to do that and was one of the reasons why Essendon got us early in the year with Phillips and Draper killing us.

I never understood why they didn’t do this, one each side, one a kick behind play, one in the goal square. I get the feeling there is a plan afoot 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:
Okay, I'm going to go full rant mode here. I'm sick to death of the media discourse around Brodie Grundy at the moment, and the so called sports journos' tendency to stick the knife in, having him being traded, it hasn't worked, etc etc.

It was always Melbourne's plan to have Brodie as a ruck/forward combination, and it was always the club's intention to have him play some VFL games to strengthen his forward craft. The only thing that delayed that from happening sooner was Gawn getting injured and waiting for him to get back to full strength. This has now happened, hence Grundy was named for the 2s. To say the Gawn/Grundy combination isn't working and it's all Grundy's fault is, pardon my French, complete [censored]. As a ruck combination, they outrucked Cox/Cameron combination, they outrucked the Jackson/Darcy combination in Fremantle. In fact they have consistently outrucked the opposition throughout the season. If there was ANY reason for lack of efficiency, it could be put more down to the fact Gawn's knee injury at the start of the season prevented him from being his best. Not Grundy.

In fact for the weeks Gawn was out injured, Grundy was invaluable, he proved his worth in my books. Grundy isn't going anywhere.

Media hacks, lay off. We know how much these so called "professionals" hate Melbourne.  They've moved on from Oliver onto a new target.  And it's not fair on Grundy.

Rant over.

Not saying you are wrong but what is the evidence of this?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I saw that and thought ‘Well you would say that Nathan, since you orchestrated the list management that forced them to implode’.

It’s not actually that cut throat a business. The media like to present it as such because it helps their narrative. If everyone involved wants it to work, and is currently doing everything they can to make it work, then it’s simply a work in process - 12 games in.

I can’t help but think all of this is just driving clicks for a Collingwood narrative about how they made ‘the right call’. Let’s just see come September. The big blokes thrive in finals contests, and I like our hand a lot more than theirs.

I agree with all that - but i was actually making a gag

• Haha 1

FMD this is such short sighted garbage from the media, as per usual.

At 32, the days of Gawn dominating 20+ games a season or rucking solo are gone.

What if he does an ACL tomorrow? What if we win the flag this year and he calls time on his career?

Grundy has a 4 year contract, and will be the #1 ruckman for probably 3 of those years.

While Trac, Viney and Clarry are doing what they are doing, we have to have a strong ruckman working with them to keep our window open. The club knows that, which is why they targeted a top quality ruck to come into the mix.

Everyone just needs to CALM THE F DOWN. 

• Like 8

Back in the VFL days before Ron Barassi the rucks consisted of 4 ruckmen, 2 in the centre bounce and one at each end, times have changed but forward craft changes.

I would try Brodie as a Ruck Rover/Forward in the VFL since he is relatively good below his knees, relatively quick and would create space for the other players at the centre bounce.

1 hour ago, binman said:

From the article:

That seals it then, Brodie back for the remainder of the season and will see out his contract at MFC!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

FMD this is such short sighted garbage from the media, as per usual.

At 32, the days of Gawn dominating 20+ games a season or rucking solo are gone.

What if he does an ACL tomorrow? What if we win the flag this year and he calls time on his career?

Grundy has a 4 year contract, and will be the #1 ruckman for probably 3 of those years.

While Trac, Viney and Clarry are doing what they are doing, we have to have a strong ruckman working with them to keep our window open. The club knows that, which is why they targeted a top quality ruck to come into the mix.

Everyone just needs to CALM THE F DOWN. 

The media seem to have forgotten what comes with making a decision to come to a club like this. It's the chance to play at a club in the window and win a flag. Some will say he could have done that by taking a pay cut at Collingwood but there is a reason that didn't happen and it's mostly Collingwood's fault. 

The media are now saying that "Brodie could play for 8 other clubs and be no.1". Yeah sure, why not go to Hawthorn and spend the rest of your prime rotting in the bottom 4! Geelong? Ok then, why didn't it happen? Port? Same deal and how many flags have they won lately? Brodie would have been aware of the risk that this decision carried. You make sacrifices, just like our stars that took potentially less money to sign new contracts this season and be part of sustained success. It's actually a credit to Brodie's character AND a credit to our coaching and selection who aren't afraid to make big calls. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, layzie said:

Brody Grundy was sold a pup

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

The media seem to have forgotten what comes with making a decision to come to a club like this. It's the chance to play at a club in the window and win a flag. Some will say he could have done that by taking a pay cut at Collingwood but there is a reason that didn't happen and it's mostly Collingwood's fault. 

The media are now saying that "Brodie could play for 8 other clubs and be no.1". Yeah sure, why not go to Hawthorn and spend the rest of your prime rotting in the bottom 4! Geelong? Ok then, why didn't it happen? Port? Same deal and how many flags have they won lately? Brodie would have been aware of the risk that this decision carried. You make sacrifices, just like our stars that took potentially less money to sign new contracts this season and be part of sustained success. It's actually a credit to Brodie's character AND a credit to our coaching and selection who aren't afraid to make big calls. 

Wait - what? Make up your mind ...

10 minutes ago, old55 said:

Wait - what? Make up your mind ...

Just throwing shade at Footy Classified as it was airing. They said the pup line 3 times in the space of 5 mins.

Riveting television..

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1