Jump to content

Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Farewell Brodie Grundy


Ouch!

Recommended Posts

The machinations of our game plan are complex, but to date we've only really had Max and Grundy playing ruck and forward. Why not split them up a bit? For instance when we go forward often we have both as targets next to each other, competing for the same ball. Similarly when May kicks out it is often to dual targets on that left wing. Couldn't Grundy run to the opposite wing and draw a big defender, create a mismatch? Maybe station himself in the corridor as a marking target?

In the forward line, why not provide an option in the opposite pocket to free up BBB or Gawn?

But maybe this about numbers at the ball and the overall gameplan...

The other thing is having either ruckmen a kick behind the play? We don't seem to do that and was one of the reasons why Essendon got us early in the year with Phillips and Draper killing us.

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Macca said:

I reckon we have to wait and see what unfolds ... although, your changes could well come to fruition

Back a couple of months ago I was projecting JVR to be a mainstay CHF by this stage of the season so I'm still holding out hope that he can nail down that role

As for Brown, it's all about his legs and whether he can get back to decent form

A predicted dry Sunday afternoon could see JVR & Brown get amongst it

Adelaide are a dangerous opponent but if we can deliver the ball well to our 2 KPF's, we can get them both into some sort of form

Wouldn't it be grand if the 2 of them were to snag 6 or 7 goals as a pair?

Grundy probably plays at least 1 game at Casey?  But I'm guessing, deevs

Yea. It's a crapshoot at this point in time. I think Goody has given up on Petty fwd and I'm not sure if we will see Smithy trialled there unless through injury. Will Milk continue with his winning form too? It's interesting times but would love to see Jvr and Bbb kick seven

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Demonland said:

 

From the article:

"Demons legend Garry Lyon has conceded he thinks its “unlikely” Brodie Grundy will remain at the club next year after he’s fallen out of favour in his preferred No. 1 ruck position.....

Given the nature of Gundy’s exit from Collingwood, former Magpies coach Nathan Buckley suggested the dual All-Australian would have his head around the nature of the business.

“One thing that we know is Brodie Grundy is not under any illustrations about how cutthroat and professional this game is,” Buckley told On the Couch."

I think they are drawing the wrong conclusions

:mahoney2:

Edited by binman
Bolded bit in case the gag gets missed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Okay, I'm going to go full rant mode here. I'm sick to death of the media discourse around Brodie Grundy at the moment, and the so called sports journos' tendency to stick the knife in, having him being traded, it hasn't worked, etc etc.
 
It was always Melbourne's plan to have Brodie as a ruck/forward combination, and it was always the club's intention to have him play some VFL games to strengthen his forward craft. The only thing that delayed that from happening sooner was Gawn getting injured and waiting for him to get back to full strength. This has now happened, hence Grundy was named for the 2s. To say the Gawn/Grundy combination isn't working and it's all Grundy's fault is, pardon my French, complete [censored]. As a ruck combination, they outrucked Cox/Cameron combination, they outrucked the Jackson/Darcy combination in Fremantle. In fact they have consistently outrucked the opposition throughout the season. If there was ANY reason for lack of efficiency, it could be put more down to the fact Gawn's knee injury at the start of the season prevented him from being his best. Not Grundy.
 
In fact for the weeks Gawn was out injured, Grundy was invaluable, he proved his worth in my books. Grundy isn't going anywhere.
 
Media hacks, lay off. We know how much these so called "professionals" hate Melbourne.  They've moved on from Oliver onto a new target.  And it's not fair on Grundy.
 
Rant over.
Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Like 5
  • Clap 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, binman said:

From the article:

"Demons legend Garry Lyon has conceded he thinks its “unlikely” Brodie Grundy will remain at the club next year after he’s fallen out of favour in his preferred No. 1 ruck position.....

Given the nature of Gundy’s exit from Collingwood, former Magpies coach Nathan Buckley suggested the dual All-Australian would have his head around the nature of the business.

“One thing that we know is Brodie Grundy is not under any illustrations about how cutthroat and professional this game is,” Buckley told On the Couch."

I think they are drawing the wrong conclusions

:mahoney2:

I saw that and thought ‘Well you would say that Nathan, since you orchestrated the list management that forced them to implode’.

It’s not actually that cut throat a business. The media like to present it as such because it helps their narrative. If everyone involved wants it to work, and is currently doing everything they can to make it work, then it’s simply a work in process - 12 games in.

I can’t help but think all of this is just driving clicks for a Collingwood narrative about how they made ‘the right call’. Let’s just see come September. The big blokes thrive in finals contests, and I like our hand a lot more than theirs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he wasn’t ex filth there would be less interest.  These one hit pieces are ckickbait for the filth fans who want to believe that getting rid of him was a good move.  So woe is the MFC, and they are treating the old beloved son poorly.

not once have I heard a gripe from Grundy on any of this.  Not once have I heard any negativity from the club.  Brody is a very intelligent dude.  I’m sure he has had the conversation with club and knows exactly where he is at.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People have been sucked into the smaller picture and week to week stuff, myself included.

I still think it looks odd and I don't love the idea of paying a backup ruck 600k but there's plenty of season left to see how this plays out. Brodie would have been well aware of the possibility that things may not fall into place 100% perfect. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dee-tox said:

The machinations of our game plan are complex, but to date we've only really had Max and Grundy playing ruck and forward. Why not split them up a bit? For instance when we go forward often we have both as targets next to each other, competing for the same ball. Similarly when May kicks out it is often to dual targets on that left wing. Couldn't Grundy run to the opposite wing and draw a big defender, create a mismatch? Maybe station himself in the corridor as a marking target?

In the forward line, why not provide an option in the opposite pocket to free up BBB or Gawn?

But maybe this about numbers at the ball and the overall gameplan...

The other thing is having either ruckmen a kick behind the play? We don't seem to do that and was one of the reasons why Essendon got us early in the year with Phillips and Draper killing us.

I never understood why they didn’t do this, one each side, one a kick behind play, one in the goal square. I get the feeling there is a plan afoot 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:
Okay, I'm going to go full rant mode here. I'm sick to death of the media discourse around Brodie Grundy at the moment, and the so called sports journos' tendency to stick the knife in, having him being traded, it hasn't worked, etc etc.
 
It was always Melbourne's plan to have Brodie as a ruck/forward combination, and it was always the club's intention to have him play some VFL games to strengthen his forward craft. The only thing that delayed that from happening sooner was Gawn getting injured and waiting for him to get back to full strength. This has now happened, hence Grundy was named for the 2s. To say the Gawn/Grundy combination isn't working and it's all Grundy's fault is, pardon my French, complete [censored]. As a ruck combination, they outrucked Cox/Cameron combination, they outrucked the Jackson/Darcy combination in Fremantle. In fact they have consistently outrucked the opposition throughout the season. If there was ANY reason for lack of efficiency, it could be put more down to the fact Gawn's knee injury at the start of the season prevented him from being his best. Not Grundy.
 
In fact for the weeks Gawn was out injured, Grundy was invaluable, he proved his worth in my books. Grundy isn't going anywhere.
 
Media hacks, lay off. We know how much these so called "professionals" hate Melbourne.  They've moved on from Oliver onto a new target.  And it's not fair on Grundy.
 
Rant over.

Not saying you are wrong but what is the evidence of this?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I saw that and thought ‘Well you would say that Nathan, since you orchestrated the list management that forced them to implode’.

It’s not actually that cut throat a business. The media like to present it as such because it helps their narrative. If everyone involved wants it to work, and is currently doing everything they can to make it work, then it’s simply a work in process - 12 games in.

I can’t help but think all of this is just driving clicks for a Collingwood narrative about how they made ‘the right call’. Let’s just see come September. The big blokes thrive in finals contests, and I like our hand a lot more than theirs.

I agree with all that - but i was actually making a gag

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FMD this is such short sighted garbage from the media, as per usual.

At 32, the days of Gawn dominating 20+ games a season or rucking solo are gone.

What if he does an ACL tomorrow? What if we win the flag this year and he calls time on his career?

Grundy has a 4 year contract, and will be the #1 ruckman for probably 3 of those years.

While Trac, Viney and Clarry are doing what they are doing, we have to have a strong ruckman working with them to keep our window open. The club knows that, which is why they targeted a top quality ruck to come into the mix.

Everyone just needs to CALM THE F DOWN. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the VFL days before Ron Barassi the rucks consisted of 4 ruckmen, 2 in the centre bounce and one at each end, times have changed but forward craft changes.

I would try Brodie as a Ruck Rover/Forward in the VFL since he is relatively good below his knees, relatively quick and would create space for the other players at the centre bounce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, binman said:

From the article:

"Demons legend Garry Lyon has conceded he thinks its “unlikely” Brodie Grundy will remain at the club next year after he’s fallen out of favour in his preferred No. 1 ruck position.....

Given the nature of Gundy’s exit from Collingwood, former Magpies coach Nathan Buckley suggested the dual All-Australian would have his head around the nature of the business.

“One thing that we know is Brodie Grundy is not under any illustrations about how cutthroat and professional this game is,” Buckley told On the Couch."

I think they are drawing the wrong conclusions

:mahoney2:

That seals it then, Brodie back for the remainder of the season and will see out his contract at MFC!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

FMD this is such short sighted garbage from the media, as per usual.

At 32, the days of Gawn dominating 20+ games a season or rucking solo are gone.

What if he does an ACL tomorrow? What if we win the flag this year and he calls time on his career?

Grundy has a 4 year contract, and will be the #1 ruckman for probably 3 of those years.

While Trac, Viney and Clarry are doing what they are doing, we have to have a strong ruckman working with them to keep our window open. The club knows that, which is why they targeted a top quality ruck to come into the mix.

Everyone just needs to CALM THE F DOWN. 

The media seem to have forgotten what comes with making a decision to come to a club like this. It's the chance to play at a club in the window and win a flag. Some will say he could have done that by taking a pay cut at Collingwood but there is a reason that didn't happen and it's mostly Collingwood's fault. 

The media are now saying that "Brodie could play for 8 other clubs and be no.1". Yeah sure, why not go to Hawthorn and spend the rest of your prime rotting in the bottom 4! Geelong? Ok then, why didn't it happen? Port? Same deal and how many flags have they won lately? Brodie would have been aware of the risk that this decision carried. You make sacrifices, just like our stars that took potentially less money to sign new contracts this season and be part of sustained success. It's actually a credit to Brodie's character AND a credit to our coaching and selection who aren't afraid to make big calls. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, layzie said:

Brody Grundy was sold a pup

 

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

The media seem to have forgotten what comes with making a decision to come to a club like this. It's the chance to play at a club in the window and win a flag. Some will say he could have done that by taking a pay cut at Collingwood but there is a reason that didn't happen and it's mostly Collingwood's fault. 

The media are now saying that "Brodie could play for 8 other clubs and be no.1". Yeah sure, why not go to Hawthorn and spend the rest of your prime rotting in the bottom 4! Geelong? Ok then, why didn't it happen? Port? Same deal and how many flags have they won lately? Brodie would have been aware of the risk that this decision carried. You make sacrifices, just like our stars that took potentially less money to sign new contracts this season and be part of sustained success. It's actually a credit to Brodie's character AND a credit to our coaching and selection who aren't afraid to make big calls. 

 

Wait - what? Make up your mind ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, old55 said:

 

Wait - what? Make up your mind ...

Just throwing shade at Footy Classified as it was airing. They said the pup line 3 times in the space of 5 mins.

Riveting television..

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

    After returning to the winners list the Demons have a 10 day break until they face the unbeaten Cats at the MCG on Saturday Night. Who comes in and who goes out for this crucial match?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 33

    PODCAST: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 29th April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG against the Tigers in the Round 07. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 5

    VOTES: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    Last week Captain Max Gawn overtook reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jack Viney & Alex Neal-Bullen make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Tigers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 40

    POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    The Demons put their foot down after half time to notch up a clinical win by 43 points over the Tigers at the MCG on ANZAC Eve keeping touch with the Top 4.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 207

    GAMEDAY: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and the Demons once again open the round of football with their annual clash against Richmond on ANZAC Eve. The Tigers, coached by former Dees champion and Premiership assistant coach Adem Yze have a plethora of stars missing due to injury but beware the wounded Tiger. The Dees will have to be switched on tonight. A win will keep them in the hunt for the Top 4 whilst a loss could see them fall out of the 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 683

    TRAINING: Tuesday 23rd April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down to Gosch's Paddock to bring you his observations from this morning's Captain's Run including some hints at the changes for our ANZAC Eve clash against the Tigers. Sunny, though a touch windy, this morning, 23 of them no emergencies.  Forwards out first. Harrison Petty, JvR, Jack Billings, Kade Chandler, Kozzy, Bayley Fritsch, and coach Stafford.  The backs join them, Steven May, Jake Lever, Woey, Judd McVee, Blake Howes, Tom McDonald

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    OOZEE by The Oracle

    There’s a touch of irony in the fact that Adem Yze played his first game for Melbourne in Round 13, 1995 against the club he now coaches. For that game, he wore the number 44 guernsey and got six touches in a game the team won by 11 points.  The man whose first name was often misspelled, soon changed to the number 13 and it turned out lucky for him. He became a highly revered Demon with a record of 271 games during which his presence was acknowledged by the fans with the chant of “Oozee” wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 3

    TRAINING: Friday 19th April 2024

    They are out for a run just as it starts raining. It didn't last long, ended up a reasonable session weather wise.  Light duties, BBB, rehab Farris-White, Melky, Salem and Spargo, all with private trainers. They are all playing soccer, huge amount of noise. 36-40 (difficult to get a count) in the main squad, biggest I've seen it in ages. Choco is barking out the orders. Goody has intense body language as he observes. Bowey in a lime green cap (no contact), and in the sim

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    ICEBREAKER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter. The game played in mild Autumn conditions in neutral territory at Kinetic Park, Frankston, never reached great heights in standard but it proved gripping in character at the end at the Casey Demons overcame the Borough to win by 15 points after trailing badly early in the second half.  P

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast 

  • Podcast Stream 


    Open Stream in
    New Window
        TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • Support Demonland  



  • 2021 Premiership  

  • Social Media 

  • Non MFC Games  

    NON-MFC: Round 07

    Discussion of all the other games that don't involve the Demons in Round 07 ... READ MORE

    Demonland | Round 07

  • Post Game      

    POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    The Demons put their foot down after half time to notch up a clinical win by 43 points over the Tigers at the MCG on ANZAC Eve keeping touch with the Top 4 ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 24

  • Votes      

    VOTES: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    Last week Captain Max Gawn overtook reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jack Viney & Alex Neal-Bullen make up the Top 5. Your votes for the win against the Tigers. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 24

  • PreGame      

    PREGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

    The Demons have a 10 day break until they face the unbeaten Cats at the MCG on Saturday Night. Who comes in and who goes out? ...READ MORE

    Demonland | April 24

  • Game Day      

    GAMEDAY: Rd 07 vs Richmond

    It's Game Day on ANZAC Eve & the Demons take on the Tigers, coached by former Dees champion & Premiership assistant Adem Yze. The Dees will have to be switched on tonight & a win will keep them in the hunt for the Top 4 whilst a loss could see them fall out of the 8 for the first time since 2020 ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 24

  • Match Preview      

    OOZEE by The Oracle

    There’s a touch of irony in the fact that Adem Yze played his first game for Melbourne in Round 13, 1995 against the club he now coaches. For that game, he wore the number 44 guernsey and got six touches in a game the team won by 11 points ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 23

  • Training  

    Tuesday, 23rd April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down to Gosch's Paddock to bring you his observations from this morning's Captain's Run including some hints at the changes for our ANZAC Eve clash against the Tigers ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 23

  • Training  

    Friday, 19th April 2024

    Veteran Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin headed down to Gosch's Paddock today to bring you his observations from training ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 19

  • Latest Podcast      

    PODCAST: Rd 05 vs Brisbane

    The boys dissected the disappointing loss to Brisbane rueing our poor work at the stoppages, debated the role that fatigue played and lamenting the loss of Christian Salem ... LISTEN

    Demonland | April 16

  • Casey Report      

    ICE BREAKER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons have broken the ice for season 2024 with a pulsating come-from-behind victory over Port Melbourne in which it took the lead for the first time at the halfway mark of the final quarter ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 14

  • Match Report      

    MAULED by Whispering Jack

    The writing was on the wall from the very first bounce of the football. The big men went up, Max Gawn more often than not, decisively won the ruck hit out and invariably a Brisbane Lions onballer either won the battle on the ground or halved the contest and they went at it repeatedly until they finally won out ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 12

  • Training  

    Wednesday, 10th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatchers Kev Martin and Demon Dynasty were once again on hand at this morning's Captain's Run at Gosch's Paddock to bring you their observations from training ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 10

  • Training  

    Sunday, 7th April 2024

    Demonland Trackwatcher Kev Martin ventured down in the rain to Gosch's Paddock for the Demon Family Series April School Holiday Open Training session ... READ MORE

    Demonland | April 07

  • Latest Podcast  

    PODCAST: Koltyn Tholstrup Interview

    I interview the Melbourne Football Club’s newest recruit Koltyn Tholstrup to have a chat about his journey from the farm to the Demons, his first few weeks of preseason training, which Dees have impressed him on the track and his aspirations of playing Round 1 ... LISTEN

    Demonland | December 14

  • Latest Podcast  

    PODCAST: Jason Taylor Interview

    I interview the Melbourne Football Club's National Recruitment Manager Jason Taylor to have a chat about our Trade and Draft period, our newest recruits, our recent recruits who have yet to debut as well as those father son prospects on the horizon ... LISTEN

    Demonland | November 27

  • Next Match 

    .

    Round 08

       vs   

    Saturday 4th May 2024
    @ 07:30pm (MCG)

  • MFC Forum  

  • Match Previews & Reports  

  • Training Forum  

  • AFLW Forum  

  • 2024 Player Sponsorship

  • Topics

  • Injury List  


      PLAYER INJURY LENGTH
    Jake Bowey Shoulder 3-4 Weeks
    Charlie Spargo Achilles 3-4 Weeks
    Christian Salem Hamstring 3-5 Weeks
    Jake Melksham ACL 7-9 Weeks
    Joel Smith Suspension TBA

  • Player of the Year  


        PLAYER VOTES
    1 Max Gawn 67
    2 Christian Petracca 55
    3 Steven May 35
    4 Jack Viney 28
    5 Alex Neal-Bullen 27
    6 Clayton Oliver 22
    7 Bayley Fritsch 19
    8 Trent Rivers 16
    9 Judd McVee 15
    10 Kade Chandler 14

        FULL TABLE
  • Demonland Interviews 



  • Upcoming Events 

×
×
  • Create New...