POSTGAME: Rd 12 vs Sydney

Demonland

Is there anyone on this forum that thinks we were not hard done by LAST year by maggots.Well it's going to happen again because that's the way the AFL  want it.

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Is there anyone on this forum that thinks we were not hard done by LAST year by maggots.Well it's going to happen again because that's the way the AFL  want it.

I don't remember last year.

But last night if we had played in front and tackled like Sydney (75 to 58) did perhaps we would have got more of the 50/50 frees.

If they had kicked straight we would have been out of the game by 3/4 time, umpires notwithstanding.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, willmoy said:

We got a good run in PF and GF.

• Like 2

Interesting that we have dropped off in pressure, or ability to exert pressure this year. Is that complacency? I’d doubt it. But I did see a post where that was formally addressed by coach. 

so I’m a little confused. 

anyway, what I’m not confused about is by reading through this post match thread, as per last weeks…you’re only a premiership contender if you win that weeks match. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I don't remember last year.

But last night if we had played in front and tackled like Sydney (75 to 58) did perhaps we would have got more of the 50/50 frees.

If they had kicked straight we would have been out of the game by 3/4 time, umpires notwithstanding.

Not sure about the frees. It didn't feel like we were giving away frees for in the back or holding the man too much. We seemed to be giving them away for getting caught with it or in marking contests.

And as you know, I also don't agree that them kicking straight would have ended the game in their favour. The third quarter had the same logic but the other way around - we kick straight there, we may have had the game done at 3/4 time.

Just now, praha said:

The Melbourne FC Twitter account used to livetweet the press conference but haven't this year. Can someone summarise key points?

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/1142949/rd-12-simon-goodwin-post-match?videoId=1142949&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1654350204001

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1142954/goodwin-not-panicking-but-eyeing-improvement

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We kicked 6 of the first 7 goals and it sounded like a suburban game. 32k against Sydney who I reckon had at least 50% of the support if not outnumbered us and FAR louder. Where are the Melbourne supporters? Bloody pissweak.

Dee supporters need to lift our game. Far too quite, far too 'polite'. Not cheering our club and players is unacceptable. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Winter Dan said:

Dee supporters need to lift our game. Far too quite, far too 'polite'. Not cheering our club and players is unacceptable. 

This is so overblown and it’s all over this thread.

We had no problems belting teams in empty stadiums last year, how much noise you do or don’t make is largely irrelevant. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, willmoy said:

So good that you posted twice?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

But Burgess is famous for his belief in it.

Is he? He's "famous" for wanting to build resilience by having players train at a high level all year round and push through niggles rather than having sessions off or shorter ... but loading?

I don't believe "loading", whatever that is in the context of AFL, has anything to do with what's going on at the moment.

• Like 1

I have put a new curse on this club.  We didn't receive our scarves this year despite being told they were 'in the mail'. When I rang to query some months later was told condescendingly it was 'my fault' for not ticking a box...what a load of garbage. My family have contributed financially to the various dysfunctional versions of 'leadership' offered up by this club over the past 20 years, consistently buying memberships that we could not really afford. We seldom attended games but wanted to help out.

It's cheap, unprofessional and disorganized of the club to act with such arrogance and contempt. I am unsurprised that performance is dropping if this is how the show is now run. Everything counts when it comes to winning and even then you need to get lucky. If you can't respect your supporters, sharing in the success and honouring our commitment you deserve to lose!

This team are now hunted, predictable and slow. 

Darren Burgess has been seriously underrated for the contribution to last years victory.

Of course there is no such thing as a curse. There doesn't need to be! Unacceptable Melbourne.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

So good that you posted twice?

Fair enough, struggle with repetition sometimes. The thing is though as soon as the media get a sniff of us talking about Dynasty that is something the AFL don't want a bar of .Things like how are they going to be beaten? Ah I know let's brink them back to earth with a few crucial free kick decisions at a few critical times.Losses start, enthusiasm drops.  What I do is look at other games and say why was such and such paid and not paid in that game etc etc.

5 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

65k tops

filth home game, but there'll only be 45k of their supposed 100k members there

I think there’ll be more. There’ll be a higher percentage of neutrals since the whole Big Freeze spectacle tends to attract ppl who wouldn’t otherwise attend. 

1 minute ago, willmoy said:

The thing is though as soon as the media get a sniff of us talking about Dynasty that is something the AFL don't want a bar of .

Why not?  Just this century alone, Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond have had "dynasties".

The suggestion that the umpires are deliberately influencing matches by favouring our opponents and are doing so at the direction of the corrupt AFL is just self-pitying, pathetic nonsense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, willmoy said:

Fair enough, struggle with repetition sometimes. The thing is though as soon as the media get a sniff of us talking about Dynasty that is something the AFL don't want a bar of .Things like how are they going to be beaten? Ah I know let's brink them back to earth with a few crucial free kick decisions at a few critical times.Losses start, enthusiasm drops.  What I do is look at other games and say why was such and such paid and not paid in that game etc etc.

It wasn't really a crack... and I appreciate the need to get heard.

Yeah, sometimes I wander down the conspiracy or 'wider agenda' path in my head, and then do a quick u-turn... I'm just not going to allow myself to believe it to be true

What is true though, is that ultimately, AFL is an entertainment package distributed to the masses, whereby sharing of success keeps the populous interested, and this can sit nestled neatly next to what @Demonstonesaid.

Edited by Engorged Onion