POSTGAME: Practice Match vs North Melbourne

Demonland

4 minutes ago, BigFez said:

Apologies as I'm sure this has been asked many times but has there been any word on Salem and his potential injury?

It was reported on the news that Salem avoided any damage to the knee. They didn't elaborate any further tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

I am tiring of the under-estimation of what Hibberd brings through comparison to dissimilar types.

Hibberd is a Bull

Hibberd wins one-on-ones

Hibberd is quick

Hibberd is a raking left-footer

Hibberd runs and carries

39 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Hibbo gives 100% every week.
Love the Pig.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

If Smith can keep his game simple and stay focus then there's no doubt he could play an important role for us. 

My concern with Smith is his lack of footy smarts during games. Yesterday was a good little step forward.

Definitely agree with all of the above.

The one thing Hibbo won't be though is a MFC player for the next 3 - 5 years.  IF Smith can finally get a run of luck and keep his body in one piece, he could be.

If it's line ball between Smith and Hibbo, I'd be playing Smith most times and keeping Hibbo in the back pocket as depth/reserve.  Smith is only going to develop better game sense getting more game time and his form suggests he too good for Casey and is only really going to develop that to the point needed playing seniors. 

Having now won his premiership medalion, I'd think Hibbo would be mature enough to understand the club's needs, handle the situation with class and focus his attention on helping develop the next generation at Casey if that's what was asked of him.  Could always bring Hibbo in fresh to nullify Dusty for games against Richmond as well.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3

Watched the replay last night.

There wouldn't be many, if any, players out there who are better on the non-dominant side than Kozzie. I'm sure we recruited him in 2019 to mainly fill a specific need, but he's going to be so much more than that. His impact can't be measured on statistics.

I also think Bowey was better than he was given credit for. I think it just comes as a massive shock when he actually does make a mistake. 

Won't hold my breath on Joel Smith staying fit, but he was really impressive. 

Tomlinson seems to be back way earlier than expected? Not suggesting any corners were cut, just pleased to see him out there and playing well. When he first went down in Tassie, you could be forgiven for thinking 2022 was a wipeout for him in terms of playing good footy again and yet here we are.

Edited by Bang Bang Bang
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Does anyone have any player stats of the game?

I've seen other games have releaser total player stats but can't find anything on our game.

I've done a pretty thorough search but haven't found anything. I think the best we're likely to get is the supercoach totals for each player which doesn't really tell you anything in regards to individual breakdown of stats.

• Like 1

Super impressive performance by the Dees, even though we were just blowing the cobwebs off.

ANB, Brown, Spargo, Hibberd and TMac were particularly good.

Oliver is becoming a combination of Judd and Cripps.

Petracca was tardy at times but there was no medals to be won yesterday.

Gawn was exceptional up forward.

Our game style seems to have followed on from the finals last year and we are continuing to move the ball with a bit more aggression inside 50.

We have so much depth in every position. Weideman looked great in his cameo. We know what Hunt can do. Smith and Tomlinson are good AFL footballers. Chandler is exciting.

Injuries aside, we are in for another great year.

• Like 5

It has probably been mentioned before but I doubt I have ever seen so many goals kicked by the Dees from so far out. Great kicking I hope that continues. And North virtually gave away Brown what were they thinking? Not a lot it would seem.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Super impressive performance by the Dees, even though we were just blowing the cobwebs off.

ANB, Brown, Spargo, Hibberd and TMac were particularly good.

Oliver is becoming a combination of Judd and Cripps.

Petracca was tardy at times but there was no medals to be won yesterday.

Gawn was exceptional up forward.

Our game style seems to have followed on from the finals last year and we are continuing to move the ball with a bit more aggression inside 50.

We have so much depth in every position. Weideman looked great in his cameo. We know what Hunt can do. Smith and Tomlinson are good AFL footballers. Chandler is exciting.

Injuries aside, we are in for another great year.

Pretty offensive to Oliver..

Oliver is 10 times above the talent of Cripps.

Other then that, a good summary.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

The one thing Hibbo won't be though is a MFC player for the next 3 - 5 years.  IF Smith can finally get a run of luck and keep his body in one piece, he could be.

If it's line ball between Smith and Hibbo, I'd be playing Smith most times and keeping Hibbo in the back pocket as depth/reserve.  Smith is only going to develop better game sense getting more game time and his form suggests he too good for Casey and is only really going to develop that to the point needed playing seniors. 

Having now won his premiership medalion, I'd think Hibbo would be mature enough to understand the club's needs, handle the situation with class and focus his attention on helping develop the next generation at Casey if that's what was asked of him.  Could always bring Hibbo in fresh to nullify Dusty for games against Richmond as well.

Will be interesting to see what the club does. I have a bias because I just don't rate Smith but I can't imagine he would replace Hibberd in the team if Hibbo is fit. You're a long time retired and I don't expect Hibberd to just make way for someone to take his spot, he'll be scrapping and fighting tooth and nail to keep his position now that he's back in the 23 (as of GF day anyway).

• Like 4

When fit, our backline will consist of 7 (a back 6 plus one on the pine as per the GF) of the following 10 players:-

• May (AA and automatic selection)
  • Lever (AA and automatic selection)
  • Salem (stiff not to be AA and automatic selection)

then 4 of...

• Petty
  • Tomlinson
  • Smith (missed PF and GF due to injury)
  • Hibbo 
  • Bowey
  • Rivers
  • Hunt (lost his spot with injury and couldn't win it back)

And we have Turner who by his selection yesterday must be tracking ok.  

Going to be very interesting to see who lines up in 19 days.

21 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Tomlinson when fit plays

Smith when fit probably plays as well. Hunt and Petty will need to work hard

I'm not sure about that.  I thought Petty was a slight improvement on Tomlinson.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Tomlinson when fit plays

Smith when fit probably plays as well. Hunt and Petty will need to work hard

The hardest thing in your comments are missing RIF. Smith WHEN FIT !!!

I think many is us are now starting to appreciate that Joel has footy and athletic ability. Combine that say like Dogga and you generally have an X factor type player. The downside is that they are often not programmed into the footy players brain or nous for various reasons. Very frustrating. 

However Smithy ( Joel) finally is getting a run without injury ( legs crossed) and his multiple training and now now match day opportunities are fast tracking him into the prospect that Goody has for 4 years hoped ( since he unfairly ditched Fritta as not being big  enough to mind the third tall in the 2018 WC prelim Final  rout.

Hibbo Will not I believe having topped the premiership  mountain relinquish his HBF flank/ back pocket for any one although Smithy if not injured would probably played in the prelim and GF unless he slipped back to his bad old days. Whoever placed him on Charlie Cameron in the QF must have wanted to get rid of him because he was like a fish out of water and not nimble or  fast or clever enough and 5 goals is a rarity for any forward against our miserly Backs outfit. Still only 10 goals conceded remember though one player was leaking like Wivenhoe Dam in the 2011 floods.

NOW we have a potential embarrassment of defensive options including 

Hunty ( apparently in training form of his life) 

Bowser ( May move early in career downfield ) 

Rivers ( potential mid or centreline star) 

Hibbo ( Feel good story of the Flag bearing the end of his career) 

Smithy ( Just give him an injury free run yo save his career) 

Turner ( future potential tall key) 

Petty ( You say Petty I say Tommo) verdict still out but we are the outright winner of this. 

Tommo (  You say Tommo I say Petty!!! Ditto above on Petty. 

naturally backline Captains Maysie and Rick and Lieutenant Salo are locked in.

The fight for regular spots is on  and as we need four I believe the encumbants deserve to start on March 16. That means No's 14 17 and 24 are loaded and IMO Tommo ( if judged match fit enough and I reckon  he is) should replace Harrison if he doesn't come up with an unlucky Smithy named as an emergency.

On the subject of Joel it would not be stupid if he was given at Casey a training in a match day role as a X fActor forward roaming as a flanker pocket key as well as his defence program. If we get him to be a danger player let's not tie him up with too many restrictions or  instructions. Maybe this might be tried once he earns his stripes as a reliable backline team member in the AFL or VF L. We can see already how Bailey Fritsch is so hard to match up on with his forward skills as a between hybrid classic forward. It's another player completely different which is why our forward line is so good now when we get the ball in the zone with our mids centres and defensive heroes streaming down  field.

No doubt many of us have different views most of which although unlucky are not too far outside our mantra and game plans.

PS Don't forget a Tmac and Petty/Tommo switch during the game can also add flexibility to both ends of the ground.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Hibberd is a top-class player. An AA. If he's in good shape - as he appears to be - I wouldn't be easing him in to the seconds. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 58er said:

I think many is us are now starting to appreciate that Joel has footy and athletic ability. Combine that say like Dogga and you generally have an X factor type player. The downside is that they are often not programmed into the footy players brain or nous for various reasons. Very frustrating. 

However Smithy ( Joel) finally is getting a run without injury ( legs crossed) and his multiple training and now now match day opportunities are fast tracking him into the prospect that Goody has for 4 years hoped ( since he unfairly ditched Fritta as not being big  enough to mind the third tall in the 2018 WC prelim Final  rout

Smith lacks footy nous. his athleticism is great but Charlie Cameron showed him up big time.

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Redlagged said:

Hibberd is a top-class player. An AA. If he's in good shape - as he appears to be - I wouldn't be easing him in to the seconds. 

His one on one against JJ in the GF was outstanding.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Smith lacks footy nous. his athleticism is great but Charlie Cameron showed him up big time.

Cameron has the habit of doing that, to many players. Bit hard on Smith. Obviously the club sees a lot in Smith, and they see more of him than we do. He's bound to feature in the team this year. I just wouldn't replace a fit and keen Hibberd for him.

• Like 3