Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Bruce McAvaney on Petracca


Vipercrunch

Recommended Posts

Tracc was special. And delicious.

Not quite ready to say we’re on par with Richmond yet alone above them and Hawthorn. Not sure what Bruce is saying by calling us more exciting. The 3rd quarter burst will go down in history for sure, but otherwise I’m not convinced.

The suffocating defensive pressure and crisp handball game of the Tigers gets really underrated because they had a few unfashionable role players. When they clicked in to top gear in grand finals they were a joy to watch. 

And Hawthorn’s kicking and organisation changed the league entirely. 08, 12 (in a losing effort), completely shutting down Sydney in 14, they were a special side.

Im glad we’ve got a chance to forge our own legacy but I think big statements are a little silly.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Crazy, isn't it? I don't want to put the mozz on myself, but I believe I could get used to this.

Most of us actually think that you're going to have to get used to this, as are we all. Eckthighting, isn't it?

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Doggas front teeth said:

It still feels crazy to think that a Melbourne Demons player put together one of the great Grand Final performances of all time 🐐 

Still feels crazy that a Melbourne team put together one of the great final series and GF of all time 🐐
Forken Legends that they are.

 

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Will always be one of the best commentators, Its a tragedy his replacement was Brian Taylor.

Bruce got a bit grating at times with trying to identify every minutiae with some overarching narrative within the game.

How would we realize what we had lost when BT took over with gems such as 'CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN NOT BELIEVE IT' and 'GEE! GOD! BOY! WOW!'

For crying out loud. The bloke said that the players will enjoy the 'comfortableness' during the broadcast of the GF. 

I'm no language pedant, but couldn't he have just said 'comfort'?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Bruce got a bit grating at times with trying to identify every minutiae with some overarching narrative within the game.

How would we realize what we had lost when BT took over with gems such as 'CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN NOT BELIEVE IT' and 'GEE! GOD! BOY! WOW!'

For crying out loud. The bloke said that the players will enjoy the 'comfortableness' during the broadcast of the GF. 

I'm no language pedant, but couldn't he have just said 'comfort'?

I'd generally rather have my ears cut off Chopper Read style than listen to Taylor, but I will not hear a word against GEE GOD BOY WOW. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Bruce got a bit grating at times with trying to identify every minutiae with some overarching narrative within the game.

How would we realize what we had lost when BT took over with gems such as 'CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN NOT BELIEVE IT' and 'GEE! GOD! BOY! WOW!'

For crying out loud. The bloke said that the players will enjoy the 'comfortableness' during the broadcast of the GF. 

I'm no language pedant, but couldn't he have just said 'comfort'?

I still can't believe BT managed to butcher the commentary leading into the final siren. I mean, seriously? A team wins its first flag in 57 years and you can't even get the line from their song right? The choice of phrase itself wasn't even that inspired but would have been adequate if he'd got it right or (heaven forbid) injected some gravitas into the delivery.

But no, instead It's like someone only told him he'd be calling the GF that day and he didn't have any time to think about it. Even if that were true, someone making a half-hearted effort, at the very least, would have prepared a line for each team, learnt it and recited it at the final siren correctly. That's MINIMUM effort. A professional would have brainstormed multiple versions that might be fitting for various circumstances. Because, you know, it's kind of important to get it right? A high-quality caller (which you'd think the official AFL broadcaster would aspire to?) would be able to say something that captures the jubilant nature of the moment off the cuff, since that's actually their job...saying relevant stuff about what's unfolding on the field. The mind boggles.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

 

Not quite ready to say we’re on par with Richmond yet

Not in terms of winning three flags of course.

But comparing the first, we have a far superior team to the 2017 tiger's team. Far superior.

We were the best team in 2021 by a country mile, as evidenced by our home and away record against top 4 teams (and top 8 teams too) and the utter demonlition of the next three best teams  behind us in the finals

The tigers won the flag in 2017 but were simply nowhere near as dominant, or as good as we were this year. No competition.

 

  • Like 9
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Bruce got a bit grating at times with trying to identify every minutiae with some overarching narrative within the game.

it was his questions that got to me..

Oh boy he is such a great player, Isn't he?

WOW what a play that was, wasn't it?

I have a lot of respect for Bruce, I think he's in the same echelon as Dennis Commetti but I think it was time.
 

56 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

How would we realize what we had lost when BT took over with gems such as 'CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN'T BELIEVE IT! CAN NOT BELIEVE IT' and 'GEE! GOD! BOY! WOW!'

Both those BT gems are amazing calls, up there with JB's Bang, Bang Bang Bang. 

The thing I've noticed about BT is that he is a bit of a downhill skier of a commentator.
When the games great, he is great but when its a bit slow, contest to contest footy game; he is the worst commentator to listen to (excluding Kelli Underwood who is just the worst all the time). 

There was a Dees game where he couldn't stop talking about how quiet the crowd was. The crowd was silent as the gameplay was kinda slow at that stage of the game. It was pretty obvious but he just couldn't focus on calling the game. 
I just wanna hear about the footy

Link to comment
Share on other sites


24 minutes ago, binman said:

Not in terms of winning three flags of course.

But comparing the first, we have a far superior team to the 2017 tiger's team. Far superior.

We were the best team in 2021 by a country mile, as evidenced by our home and away record against top 4 teams (and top 8 teams too) and the utter demonlition of the next three best teams  behind us in the finals

The tigers won the flag in 2017 but were simply nowhere near as dominant, or as good as we were this year. No competition.

 

Richmond certainly weren't the home and away side we were. I'm usually a big percentage believer and there's was very low for a 15-7 team, even lower when you account for them losing 4 times under 10 points including some classic Richmond choke jobs. 

But they did start the year 5-0, battled through a mid year slump with people doubting them then finished very strongly in the lead in to finals. There home and away season was a less impressive but similar path to ours.

And they dominated finals. We put the Cats and Dogs right out of their misery by blowing the game way out but once you're 40 up in a final it's all a bit academic from there. The smashed Geelong, they took care of business after a nervy start against a strong GWS side and then they really took care of a Crows side that had dominated 2 earlier finals. If it's finals that really matter for judging a side then super dominant Melbourne (with a blip in the grand final for 45 minutes) v regularly dominant Richmond.

Our home and away season is interesting. I've seen people saying we were the best team all year and maybe first is first at the end of the day. I will say I think the Dogs were right with us or even had us covered in the home and away season until the loss of Bruce and lack of ruckman had them going a bit batty. And the reality is we were a Max Gawn set shot after the siren away from finishing 3rd. Our top 5 (there were 5 contenders this year) and top 8 record was very promising, but tripping over ourselves 2.5 times against Adel, Haw and Coll counts too. 17.5 wins and finishing top for the first time is one heck of an achievement, although my thoughts at the end of the year was we've snuck in to pole position of a very tight 5 car race.

Melbourne 2021 v Richmond 17 is clearly advantage us. Richmond definitely played their best footy in 18 and 19 though, and remained good enough to win it in 2020, so let's go out and do that!

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Tracc was special. And delicious.

Not quite ready to say we’re on par with Richmond yet alone above them and Hawthorn. Not sure what Bruce is saying by calling us more exciting. The 3rd quarter burst will go down in history for sure, but otherwise I’m not convinced.

The suffocating defensive pressure and crisp handball game of the Tigers gets really underrated because they had a few unfashionable role players. When they clicked in to top gear in grand finals they were a joy to watch. 

And Hawthorn’s kicking and organisation changed the league entirely. 08, 12 (in a losing effort), completely shutting down Sydney in 14, they were a special side.

Im glad we’ve got a chance to forge our own legacy but I think big statements are a little silly.

Each to their own but Richmond were/are horrible to watch for me. Annoys the [censored] out of me when we get compared to playing like them. Defensive set up yes, everything else, no. 
That rolling maul slap it on and anywhere style Richmond had with the ball was ugly as [censored]. They looked good when the skis got to the downhill part and Dusty was one out. 
 

Since 3qtr time round 23 we’ve been more exciting than any team in recent memory. There were glimpses during the year. But that was a finals series for the ages. Good luck halting this momentum. 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Both those BT gems are amazing calls, up there with JB's Bang, Bang Bang Bang. 

The thing I've noticed about BT is that he is a bit of a downhill skier of a commentator.
When the games great, he is great but when its a bit slow, contest to contest footy game; he is the worst commentator to listen to (excluding Kelli Underwood who is just the worst all the time). 

There was a Dees game where he couldn't stop talking about how quiet the crowd was. The crowd was silent as the gameplay was kinda slow at that stage of the game. It was pretty obvious but he just couldn't focus on calling the game. 
I just wanna hear about the footy

He's never great. He's simply an overexcited Neanderthal. If you like BT I have to wonder if you're under 25 or your IQ is under 70. Same goes for James Brayshaw stealing from Mike Breen and making it worse. Although JB is salvageable if you put him with a good straight man (or woman) and they got the balance between the funny guy and straight up caller.

BT has the ability to get excited but often it's about whatever the monkey playing cymbals in his brain is fixated on. He's stuffed up a number of big moments - classic marks and goals by being ill prepared. 

He spends large chunks of games trying to make mispronunciations of players names, people in the crowd, umpires or officials a big part of the story when they clearly aren't. That's great for radio where there's a need to keep the audience entertained, particularly when there's options to choose the Triple M call or other alternatives. When it's TV we all get to see the pictures. His job is to provide some atmosphere when the game requires and to sit back and let the pictures speak for themselves when it doesn't.

Which leads me to perhaps his worst trait - he dominates the call and has no chemistry with any of his commentators or special comments people. He's particularly bad at cutting off Daisy Pearce but he does it to most of the people paid to actually break down the game. Then he tries to rope others in to his silly little sub plots. Brayshaw's a willing participant. Poor old Bruce got dragged down to a whole lot of nonsense. It's great on rare occasions he's on with someone professional like Jason Bennett who wouldn't fall for it and would actually get on with calling the game.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Each to their own but Richmond were/are horrible to watch for me. Annoys the [censored] out of me when we get compared to playing like them. Defensive set up yes, everything else, no. 
That rolling maul slap it on and anywhere style Richmond had with the ball was ugly as [censored]. They looked good when the skis got to the downhill part and Dusty was one out. 
 

Since 3qtr time round 23 we’ve been more exciting than any team in recent memory. There were glimpses during the year. But that was a finals series for the ages. Good luck halting this momentum. 

Their run and carry from the backline was far prettier than ours. Apart from Salem and maybe some Bowey late we were the kings of the hack kick from the backline. We were also brilliantly set up to make sure it didn't cost us.

They certainly liked to bomb it to space more than we did but we bombed it to talls at half forward then won the ball from there. Not sure it's all that much prettier. Both teams moved it fast rather than moved it pretty.

Their forward pressure was also better than ours I think. Particularly in the earlier years where they were miles above the competition. The thing we did this year is we'd pressure when the ball was clearly in dispute but we never put too many numbers forward and we always quickly shifted to a full ground zone to slow ball movement.

Richmond are really unhappy about the stand rule because they know they can no longer flood 17 forward - they always leave a goalie out the back - and create as many front half turnovers. We were super clever the way as soon as we weren't getting a turnover we had no problem with teams having as many uncontested kicks in the back pocket as they liked. Or even switching the ball as much as they wanted. Our half forwards and mids covered the corridor and long down the line and said to teams, ok, you've got the ball now, you'll have to kick it to us eventually. Even if you get inside 50 we'll have May and Lever ready.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He's never great. He's simply an overexcited Neanderthal. If you like BT I have to wonder if you're under 25 or your IQ is under 70. Same goes for James Brayshaw stealing from Mike Breen and making it worse. Although JB is salvageable if you put him with a good straight man (or woman) and they got the balance between the funny guy and straight up caller.

BT has the ability to get excited but often it's about whatever the monkey playing cymbals in his brain is fixated on. He's stuffed up a number of big moments - classic marks and goals by being ill prepared. 

He spends large chunks of games trying to make mispronunciations of players names, people in the crowd, umpires or officials a big part of the story when they clearly aren't. That's great for radio where there's a need to keep the audience entertained, particularly when there's options to choose the Triple M call or other alternatives. When it's TV we all get to see the pictures. His job is to provide some atmosphere when the game requires and to sit back and let the pictures speak for themselves when it doesn't.

Which leads me to perhaps his worst trait - he dominates the call and has no chemistry with any of his commentators or special comments people. He's particularly bad at cutting off Daisy Pearce but he does it to most of the people paid to actually break down the game. Then he tries to rope others in to his silly little sub plots. Brayshaw's a willing participant. Poor old Bruce got dragged down to a whole lot of nonsense. It's great on rare occasions he's on with someone professional like Jason Bennett who wouldn't fall for it and would actually get on with calling the game.

By great I mean like GEE GOD BOY WOW. I enjoy a stupid fun call like that when the right energy in the game is there and at that stage of the Hawks prelim it was PTD, Party Time Dees. 

All your points are on the money and really well articulated. He is the most distracted caller out there yet dominates the call, I think have him with JB creates a bad unit, they are too good a mates and the call becomes way to relaxed rather than proffessional.
 
I really liked it in the grand final when it suddenly dawned on him to give uninterrupted Daisy some airtime. She's fantastic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 252

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 287

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...