Top of the Ladder?

Diamond_Jim

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I can’t see why we can’t be 13 & 0 going into the bye. 

North in Tassie 

Swans G

Carlton G

Crows AAMI

Dogs Marvel

Lions Traeger

Pies G

Only 6 teams can win it this year and that’s  Richmond, Geelong, Port, Bulldogs, Eagles and us.

Our draw is perfectly spaced this year in that we still have away games in the second half of the season against the Eagles, Port and Geelong but they are spaced apart with easier opponents in between. 

Some might not agree with the Eagles but I’m not writing them off just yet.

Eagles are no chance, i think their cycle has come to an end just like Collingwood.

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Who cares.  Make finals first aim.  Go for top 4 after that.  Top of the table means nothing imv and we have so far achieved diddly squat other than a very good start to a season.

Fully agree RN. To me the 6-0 is relevant to me so far as the confidence that consistent performances instill, giving us a reference point for how we need to play, while also providing some breathing room in how we manage our list, e.g. if Max needs a rest we have such a luxury because the stakes of him kissing a game are not finals or bust.

From here;

Aother 6-7 wins (out of the next 17 rounds means we will play finals.

Top 4 gives us a weeks rest between qualifying and prelim final.

Top 2 means we play our entire finals campaign at the G.

It is still early days in a long season and alot has to go right, and we will need to overcome big challenges, to have a healthy list and good form heading into September. I also don't think it is a given that we will simply waltz into September.

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Good chance we could be on top of the ladder by the end of the weekend.

It's been a while.

2004 Round 18

As usual such wonderful memories are soured by the reality of the ensuing rounds.

With ever increasing injuries we lost all remaining games of the season. Most by decent margins.

Looking forward to better memories this year.

https://afltables.com/afl/seas/2004.html

It would be nice, but 1 or 2? Either is good with me! Means a home ground double chance! the only way to win a GF!

47 minutes ago, chookrat said:

Fully agree RN. To me the 6-0 is relevant to me so far as the confidence that consistent performances instill, giving us a reference point for how we need to play, while also providing some breathing room in how we manage our list, e.g. if Max needs a rest we have such a luxury because the stakes of him kissing a game are not finals or bust.

From here;

Aother 6-7 wins (out of the next 17 rounds means we will play finals.

Top 4 gives us a weeks rest between qualifying and prelim final.

Top 2 means we play our entire finals campaign at the G.

It is still early days in a long season and alot has to go right, and we will need to overcome big challenges, to have a healthy list and good form heading into September. I also don't think it is a given that we will simply waltz into September.

It does give us that luxury and ability to manage, trial and tinker a little CR but yes that's about where it starts and ends for mine.

Don't get me wrong i love winning and what it brings each week but each week brings with it some new challenges where we need to put our best foot forward regardless of the opposition.

Obviously the Roos are at a low ebb at the moment but nonetheless this is as important as any other week to ensure we hold our form and bring home the bacon.  If we get to a position where the foot can be applied in the second half and some percentage added, fantastic, but let's take it one quarter at a time shall we.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

Friday night's contest will be fascinating. Richmond need to win, otherwise risk going 3-4. I think the Bulldogs are overrated. Their draw has been softer than ours. But Richmond are now missing Martin and Prestia from their midfield. I'd be tipping the Bulldogs, although Tim English out for them is big, with one less mid rotation with Dunkley out.

I reckon us beating Richmond will probably be a motivation for the Tigers to come back hard.... They were [censored] last week as beat beat them up on on the ground and the scoreboard. Generally good teams that have that arrogance won’t put up with losing like that two weeks in a row.

I think Richmond might pinch it in a close game but like you mentioned, no Dusty or Prestia in the middle against probably the strongest midfield in the game... gonna be tight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A F said:

Friday night's contest will be fascinating. Richmond need to win, otherwise risk going 3-4. I think the Bulldogs are overrated. Their draw has been softer than ours. But Richmond are now missing Martin and Prestia from their midfield. I'd be tipping the Bulldogs, although Tim English out for them is big, with one less mid rotation with Dunkley out.

Normally agree with you Adam. 

But I don’t think Bullies are overrated. Quick, great mid fielders, beautifully balanced and some great young forwards who are terrific overhead and mobile And they have a core of A graders. Much like the Dees.    

And a great coach with players who love him. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Neither the Deez or the Dogs are lay-down mesires this round. Would be completely unsurprised if both go 6-1. 

There is no chance we lose to North.  There I said it.  It is a 0% chance of happening.

We are already 7-0.   All that remains to be seen is who gets the Brownlow votes and how much we win by.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
  • Haha 1

The Tigers has just set this up for us so well. Hopefully the press propaganda about the Dogs might be a little subdued from here, at least in the short term . It is now up to us to consolidate for the next four weeks before our clash with the Dogs. 

Well done Dees!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tigers has just set this up for us so well. Hopefully the press propaganda about the Dogs might be a little subdued from here, at least in the short term . It is now up to us to consolidate for the next four weeks before our clash with the Dogs. 

Well done Dees!

Geeeze this post could go south. 

It would be the most "Melbourne" thing ever to drop this game. 

Really hoping we have matured and have the game beyond doubt by half time. 

• Like 3

The captivating thing about sport is ... it can be unpredictable.  What's that saying again? Something about counting and chickens and before they've hatched?

I am feeling some aggregious nail biting MFCSS about Sunday's game. Head says all good - this is a new mature composed hardened Dees team; we've got this. Heart has PTSD.

• Haha 2