GAME 6: Demonland's Best/Favourite Demon 1988-2020 - Tingay vs Jakovich

Demonland

Game Six  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today sees Stephen Tingay take on Allen Jakovich

You can either vote by going to our Facebook or Twitter pages or for convenience you can vote in the poll above.

I will create a new thread each day and will merge the threads together once the voting day is complete.

EVhXS9lUEAE3nqA?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Will this one be the closest one yet?

Stephen Tingay:
162 Games
84 Goals
1994 All Australian

Allen Jakovich:
47 Games
201 Goals
3 x MFC Leading Goal Kicker

Tournament Fixture:

EVhXUohUwAAcNaQ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 1

Tingay was a gun but this one is no contest! Jakovich probably my favourite ever Demon, I was 9 when he debuted and he was just electrifying. Perfect mix of being able to kick goals from anywhere, being an absolute larrikin and giving it to Collingwood supporters.

• Like 3

Tingay is a very underrated player; fast, tough, skilful, whose careers was derailed by injury... but it’s a very difficult ask for any child of the 90s to vote against Allen Jakovich.

• Like 2

Sheesh, we’ve had some serious talent over the years. Who remembers Tingay’s transformation from a skinny little kid to a beefed up machine? I feared for some opposition players the way he tackled them sometimes. I also remember him having around 16 possessions in the first quarter of the 94 prelim at the WACA before they took him out of the game with some kind of dodgy taking of the legs for memory? 

Unlucky he’s up against Jako here.

• Like 2

Stinga was a great demon with heart, strength and skill second to none.

Jako was the greatest forward I have ever seen in any team, bar none, for his 47 games. Like only a tiny handful of players in the history of the game, he was not just better but he could do things on the field that others could not even dream about.

These are unfair choices. Should implement a repechage for Stinga and Ooze.

Jako for me.

I have a lot of admiration for Tingay but Jakovich was just too much of a rare talent to vote against.

Not the easiest of polls this one.

• Like 2

I enver really got to see much of them playing, but Stephen Tingay's recipe for a chicken cacciatore in the Trevor Barker memorial cookbook (I forget the name of the book - it might just be 'AFL cookbook') was a real winner and very easy.  Also quite forgiving of lazy cooks like me with a tendency to wander off and do other things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiers said:

Stinga was a great demon with heart, strength and skill second to none.

Jako was the greatest forward I have ever seen in any team, bar none, for his 47 games. Like only a tiny handful of players in the history of the game, he was not just better but he could do things on the field that others could not even dream about.

These are unfair choices. Should implement a repechage for Stinga and Ooze.

Jako for me.

It comes down to professionalism and team first players.?

IF you were trying to build a side to win the flag, you'd have to go with the team first star over the  'I'm-here'  type star.

Jako was just a little too much like,  well, Jacko.  And Capper.

Take that leg wound away from Stinga,  and he would be a legend. Certainly a match winner.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian
  • Like 1

If the question was best guns then stings by a mile.

Best player? Jako. Insane talent.

Favorite player? Saw Jako tear the pies apart at vic park. One of my fav games. Cemented jako as one of my all time favourite players.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I recall at one stage Norm Smith winner Peter Matera, and Tingay were the two best wings in the competition before the position lost its fashion

The number of rotations has had a huge effect on this position IMO.  Too many by far.  depleting space to run and carry.  The reductions has helped a little, but not enough to get back to those one-on-one battles, out in open space.

We end with a pack, and stacks on.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tingay was a gun but this one is no contest! Jakovich probably my favourite ever Demon, I was 9 when he debuted and he was just electrifying. Perfect mix of being able to kick goals from anywhere, being an absolute larrikin and giving it to Collingwood supporters.

Yep agree I would love to have an Alan Jacovich running around today. Tingay was a sensational player

A better comparison might have been Jacovich Vs Robbo!?

If only the both of them could've stayed fit.
Tingay for me.

Jako rubbed against my grain abit if I was honest.
I also remember watching him have a late game shot at goal to put us in front.
Was thinking at the time that a true champ would kick it and we'll see what he's really made of..... He missed, we lost.
Harsh maybe but I thought him a flaky footballer.

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yep agree I would love to have an Alan Jacovich running around today. Tingay was a sensational player

A better comparison might have been Jacovich Vs Robbo!?

Robbo.
Jakovich was too much of a shooting star.

3 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

If only the both of them could've stayed fit.
Tingay for me.

Jako rubbed against my grain abit if I was honest.
I also remember watching him have a late game shot at goal to put us in front.
Was thinking at the time that a true champ would kick it and we'll see what he's really made of..... He missed, we lost.
Harsh maybe but I thought him a flaky footballer.

he could certainly enthral  and dazzle you one minute and frustrate the bejeezus out of you the next

he certainly didn't fit the usual mould, but then neither did gablett-snr

• Like 1