Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

The Hayden Young Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, billyblanks35 said:

Too big a risk. He'll most likely be gone by 6 and we end up with Flanders or Ash. 

Pretty much my thoughts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What really struck me was how little time Young took to both spot an 'interesting' target and get his body organised to make the kick. The brain is working through the problem in front of him even as he is aware of what is going on closer around him. I'm a little excited and also enjoying thinking of past players with his ability. A bit of Trapper, a bit of Ooze?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

What really struck me was how little time Young took to both spot an 'interesting' target and get his body organised to make the kick. The brain is working through the problem in front of him even as he is aware of what is going on closer around him. I'm a little excited and also enjoying thinking of past players with his ability. A bit of Trapper, a bit of Ooze?

His game sense, decision making and reflexes are all elite. He's able to work his way through contested situations and distribute perfectly either long or short. He's really strong in the air, is quick to mop up and ground level, and always uses the ball well. There's definitely a little bit of Trapper about his decision making and kicking. It's been a long time since we've had someone with elite kicking like Young at the club. Salem has potential, but he always picks a short option and his long kicking lacks penetration compared to others.

Young will be an elite half back flanker for a decade. Perfect replacement for Hibberd. He'll help improve the quality of entry into our forward 50 so we start scoring better again.

Need to get him at pick 3 IMO!

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To classy for us, we will surely draft another honest inside mid. I look fwd commenting in the to why didn’t we draft Hayden young threads of the future 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this ninety-second highlight package effectively quindecupling my exposure to Young's kicking I'm willing to say that he probably possesses the greatest foot-skills of any known living individual on the planet. It's like geometric poetry (and I have a literary degree, so I should know).

Seriously, this kid can kick.

(Selected draft footage, obvious provisos, but designed to show capabilities); Young appears to present as a genuine triple-threat by foot: assessment, execution, and threat.  

Assessment: quick summation and selection of options:

This takes extra-natural sporting ability and an instinctive awareness of surrounds (a la Clarry) combined with composure. Watts was considered one of our best kicks – but he was often quite slow to move it on. Hogan was similar. Young Young appears to weigh up and select the correct option at speed.  

Execution: skill and precision in hitting the target.

Wow. A phenom. The ability of Young to alter the speed, trajectory and weighting of his kicks is next level. He can kick slow and fast and high and flat – or any combination thereof – and do so off a short-step or on the run. Combined with the above footy smarts, and confidence to back himself in, this is a huge huge weapon.

Threat: penetration and play-making.

Dude can kick 55-meters-plus, which is a decent start, especially with regard to the speed and weighting over that distance. He can also spot and execute the so-called ‘45 degree’ option. Melksham, our designated half-forward, can do this. May can kick flat and long, but mostly does so from deeper. Oliver is capable. Who else?  

Summary:

All of the above, combined, is truly amazing – and fits exactly with what we want. I’m fairly convinced we let Frost go because we thought this bloke could slot in pretty soon. Oscar is a pretty safe kick but not remotely threatening, Petty doesn’t have the agility, and Frost (I love him) probably disrupted our game-plan.

That’s all good – but what is Young like as an actual defender?

I have no idea. But here are some of the words spoken about Young from well-known draft-watchers: ‘Has explosive speed’, ‘Young is a damaging half-back with great intercept marking.’ ‘Explosiveness from packs’, ‘Disciplined, checking his opponents tightly and providing them with few opportunities,’

And weaknesses? 

From Knightmare: ‘Sometimes too accountable.’ Not a bad knock at all.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Skuit said:

With this ninety-second highlight package effectively quindecupling my exposure to Young's kicking I'm willing to say that he probably possesses the greatest foot-skills of any known living individual on the planet. It's like geometric poetry (and I have a literary degree, so I should know).

Seriously, this kid can kick.

(Selected draft footage, obvious provisos, but designed to show capabilities); Young appears to present as a genuine triple-threat by foot: assessment, execution, and threat.  

Assessment: quick summation and selection of options:

This takes extra-natural sporting ability and an instinctive awareness of surrounds (a la Clarry) combined with composure. Watts was considered one of our best kicks – but he was often quite slow to move it on. Hogan was similar. Young Young appears to weigh up and select the correct option at speed.  

Execution: skill and precision in hitting the target.

Wow. A phenom. The ability of Young to alter the speed, trajectory and weighting of his kicks is next level. He can kick slow and fast and high and flat – or any combination thereof – and do so off a short-step or on the run. Combined with the above footy smarts, and confidence to back himself in, this is a huge huge weapon.

Threat: penetration and play-making.

Dude can kick 55-meters-plus, which is a decent start, especially with regard to the speed and weighting over that distance. He can also spot and execute the so-called ‘45 degree’ option. Melksham, our designated half-forward, can do this. May can kick flat and long, but mostly does so from deeper. Oliver is capable. Who else?  

Summary:

All of the above, combined, is truly amazing – and fits exactly with what we want. I’m fairly convinced we let Frost go because we thought this bloke could slot in pretty soon. Oscar is a pretty safe kick but not remotely threatening, Petty doesn’t have the agility, and Frost (I love him) probably disrupted our game-plan.

That’s all good – but what is Young like as an actual defender?

I have no idea. But here are some of the words spoken about Young from well-known draft-watchers: ‘Has explosive speed’, ‘Young is a damaging half-back with great intercept marking.’ ‘Explosiveness from packs’, ‘Disciplined, checking his opponents tightly and providing them with few opportunities,’

And weaknesses? 

From Knightmare: ‘Sometimes too accountable.’ Not a bad knock at all.

Was thinking same thing about Frost. I assume Young is target number one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Was thinking same thing about Frost. I assume Young is target number one.

The 17 back of jumper is a nice symmetry. I liked Frost plus flaws. Young though would be the antitheses. 

Leg-speed is fantastic for evasive needs. But precise kicking will always out-speed any run and open extra options as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The talk is a perfect replacement for Hibberd. Yeah, lets use our number three pick to replace someone lucky to be ranked in the AFLs top 200.

  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

The talk is a perfect replacement for Hibberd. Yeah, lets use our number three pick to replace someone lucky to be ranked in the AFLs top 200.

what a strange thing to say.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

what a strange thing to say.

How so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

The talk is a perfect replacement for Hibberd. Yeah, lets use our number three pick to replace someone lucky to be ranked in the AFLs top 200.

 

51 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

what a strange thing to say.

Strange is the norm for him Salem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 2:50 AM, BAMF said:

 

I've been pro Serong or Flanders mostly because I think they're talented enough and with the goal sense we desperately need, but I have to admit I'm a sucker for a beautiful kick.

Would love to have him in the side. Particularly with our forward press. Get him intercepting 80m from goal and his kicks inside 50 are a lead up forwards wet dream

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will really regret not taking this kid at 3.. he has skill,poise and speed. i would say they are 3 of our biggest hole o n the list. We simply cant ignore whats we need and when its on offer for us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

 

It’s either Hibbo replacement with young or Spargo replacement with Serong. Take your pick.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

 

Hibbard is an All Australian defender. He might be past his best but he's better than your average player.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

 

I would take Young at 8.

Superstar potential players only please at pick 3  -  and thats Brodie Kemp.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we don’t take this bloke at 3 we’re just downright stupid. Our kicking & decision making were our major problems this season, this guy helps solve both those issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched his entire highlight reel, im obviously an authority on the kid, so i will add my learned wisdom to the thread.

Must.Get.

Pick 3.

Done.

 

 

Seriously though, it looks like he has a great leg on him and in a team screaming out for decent delivery Young looks like a great choice for an early pick. Bit of agro about him as well by the way he roughed up the player on the ground after he tackled him before "that" kick.

I wont be unhappy if he is our first choice. They cant all be inside midfielders, and with Nev and Hibbo having past their peak, now is the time to blood a young replacement.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

How so 

The manner in which you frame most of your comments backs up my comment.  Hibberd was an AA player whose form appears to have tailed off putting him clearly outside the top 100 players in the league. Your comment would have the uninformed observer believe that he was never an elite player which he clearly was.  This is a fan forum and indeed you are entitled to say what you want and how you want within reason.  You just seem to be going out of your way to antagonise - if that floats your boat, good for you!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAYDEN YOUNG EASILY (Please please MFC DONT stuff it up and pick another JT OR CM clones!!

JUST ONCE get it right!!😬😲

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Devon Roberton and Caleb Serong are the 2 closest to inside mids in top 10, so you can get Goodwin is all over these 2. Got to win the contested ball with inside contested beasts.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be bidding on Green at 3, making the Giants match and then grabbing Young. 

wouldn't be unhappy with Serong but we are crying out for someone with Youngs kicking and it's such an important position.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...