Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

List changes who do we cut, trade or go after.


samcantstandya
 Share


Recommended Posts

Worthwhile looking at this game again.....

All Australian U18's v Casey in April this year.

Rowell, Anderson, Pickett, Young, Green, Williams, Serong etc v Casey

On the Big footy Melbourne site, post 234:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-melbourne-replay-archive.1144478/page-10

 

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes that’s what really hurts big time. Omcd is a LIABILITY 

If we got rid of Oscar, then there would be a lot of DL's that might have their anger levels significantly reduced this next season.

Would hate to see that. So I have a suggestion: 

Straight swap - Oscar for Jack Watts. 

Win win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah yes recruiting. Is it important?

Tigers get 2 GC Suns players, who kick 7 goals in a Prelim and take them to the GF. A bloke they got from the Bombers a few years ago is their 3rd best on the night and nearly best for the year.

Get it right Dees, just get it right.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Ah yes recruiting. Is it important?

Tigers get 2 GC Suns players, who kick 7 goals in a Prelim and take them to the GF. A bloke they got from the Bombers a few years ago is their 3rd best on the night and nearly best for the year.

Get it right Dees, just get it right.

Agreed. It’s crucial. We have had a fair pluses but many minuses over the years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Brenno said:

Would be crazy to delist Spargo. He is only 19 and showed a bit in his first year. 

FFS Slow plodder, small, tackles dont stick, Kicking lacks penetration, WHY would you want to keep him? Suburban player at best!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Worthwhile looking at this game again.....

All Australian U18's v Casey in April this year.

Rowell, Anderson, Pickett, Young, Green, Williams, Serong etc v Casey

On the Big footy Melbourne site, post 234:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-melbourne-replay-archive.1144478/page-10

 

I watched this game live. Rowell stood out like a sore thumb. Star!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, picket fence said:

FFS Slow plodder, small, tackles dont stick, Kicking lacks penetration, WHY would you want to keep him? Suburban player at best!

Very important next season for Spargo. Another poor one will put his AFL career in jeopardy.

Poor second seasons are not uncommon, but consecutive poor seasons, aren’t looked at favourably from average players, by List  Management. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Very important next season for Spargo. Another poor one will put his AFL career in jeopardy.

Poor second seasons are not uncommon, but consecutive poor seasons, aren’t looked at favourably from average players, by List  Management. 

Comes out of contract next year's also. Huge year coming up.

Has played 26 games so far in his 2 years at the club and is still only 19, so he goes into next year with some handy experience. A huge summer under Burgess coming up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Harley Bennell just had significant surgery on each leg in an attempt to rectify his calf problems. Happy to train with a club over summer and then be taken by a club as a DFA or preseason supplementary selection (rookie list). I know he has had some major off field issues, but he and his partner have also just had their first child. He's claiming he wants to settle down and return to football.

Sometimes becoming a parent can make a person focus on life priorities.

Is he worth a go over summer with a view to preseason selection in Feb/March? Would give the FD four months to assess him.

Thoughts?

Edited by Moonshadow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Harley Bennell just had significant surgery on each leg in an attempt to rectify his calf problems. Happy to train with a club over summer and then be taken by a club as a DFA or preseason supplementary selection (rookie list). I know he has had some major off field issues, but he and his partner have also just had their first child. He's claiming he wants to settle down and return to football.

Sometimes becoming a parent can make a person focus on life priorities.

Is he worth a go over summer with a view to preseason selection in Feb/March? Would give the FD four months to assess him.

Thoughts?

Yes from me, not a lot of risk in letting him train over summer to test his physical and mental resilience. We know he has the talent. 

Edited by Earl Hood
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Yes from me, not a lot of risk in letting him train over summer to test his physical and mental resilience. We know he has the talent. 

Doubt we would do it. I agree we should, but we are far too conservative. We couldn't cope with Martin Pike & he won  premierships after leaving. We haven't recruited any a Irish players for eons & we tend to pass bad boys who can play for good boys who can't. Where is the x factor????

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really admired the way Geelong identified holes in their list last trade period and then went about plugging those holes.

One clear hole we have is players with line breaking speed who have the ability to use the footy. Harley Bennell has this skill set. At a very low cost, it’s a no brainer for mine.

I’ve given Goodwin and crew the benefit of the doubt up until now but I’ll be watching them very closely this trade period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Harley Bennell just had significant surgery on each leg in an attempt to rectify his calf problems. Happy to train with a club over summer and then be taken by a club as a DFA or preseason supplementary selection (rookie list). I know he has had some major off field issues, but he and his partner have also just had their first child. He's claiming he wants to settle down and return to football.

Sometimes becoming a parent can make a person focus on life priorities.

Is he worth a go over summer with a view to preseason selection in Feb/March? Would give the FD four months to assess him.

Thoughts?

This might be why you would consider it:

"I've made some wrong decisions in my time and that's put me in some s--- positions but I've learned from those," Bennell said.

"I just think I've still got a lot more in the tank. I've come this far and I'm not going to give up, just because of my latest injury. I'm not a person who will just chuck the towel in and give up.

"I love training and I love football. Without football, who knows where I'll be?

"Getting a third opportunity at the highest level would be life-changing for myself and my partner and my family – it would be the luckiest thing. It would mean a lot to me and my family."

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, samcantstandya said:

Doubt we would do it. I agree we should, but we are far too conservative. We couldn't cope with Martin Pike & he won  premierships after leaving. We haven't recruited any a Irish players for eons & we tend to pass bad boys who can play for good boys who can't. Where is the x factor????

Pike punched out Neil Balme's PA (a woman) when she said he was not available to talk. That's a bloody good reason to let go of a player. Had he done that at any of his subsequent clubs I'd bet my left nut he'd be exiting soon after.

Surely you are not saying we would have won flags if we kept Pike?

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Shocked 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Redleg said:

Very important next season for Spargo. Another poor one will put his AFL career in jeopardy.

Poor second seasons are not uncommon, but consecutive poor seasons, aren’t looked at favourably from average players, by List  Management. 

Agreed, but I reckon some have forgotten how many scoring chains he got involved in over last year, particularly in those two finals we won. First year player, he had a pretty good start. A poor second year, but he wouldn't be the first.

I agree his kicking is a limitation, but if he works on his tank, I think he'll be a good role player.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Pike punched out Neil Balme's PA (a woman) when she said he was not available to talk. That's a bloody good reason to let go of a player. Had he done that at any of his subsequent clubs I'd bet my left nut he'd be exiting soon after.

Surely you are not saying we would have won flags if we kept Pike?

We would've won 5 of them to be precise. And North Melbourne and Brisbane would've merged in 2004 after a lack of premiership success. :laugh:

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Pike punched out Neil Balme's PA (a woman) when she said he was not available to talk. That's a bloody good reason to let go of a player. Had he done that at any of his subsequent clubs I'd bet my left nut he'd be exiting soon after.

Surely you are not saying we would have won flags if we kept Pike?

Have some stories about Pike. A headcase. We lost nothing getting rid of him

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2019 at 12:08 AM, picket fence said:

FFS Slow plodder, small, tackles dont stick, Kicking lacks penetration, WHY would you want to keep him? Suburban player at best!

Not sure why we would delist a player who is contracted for next year? We would have to pay out his contract meaning it’s still in the salary cap, he’s ahead of other guys still on the list so if like this year we have injuries we have to select a player that is not as good as him, and if we get rid of him we have to find another player to go on the list who may or may not be better than him.

I think the best option is for us is to attempt to develop him into the player we need him to be. Caleb Daniel is an example of a guy of similar stature (Charlie is actually 5cm taller) who has found a niche and I would think it would be in our best interests to work with Charlie to find his best role.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, —coach— said:

Not sure why we would delist a player who is contracted for next year? We would have to pay out his contract meaning it’s still in the salary cap, he’s ahead of other guys still on the list so if like this year we have injuries we have to select a player that is not as good as him, and if we get rid of him we have to find another player to go on the list who may or may not be better than him.

I think the best option is for us is to attempt to develop him into the player we need him to be. Caleb Daniel is an example of a guy of similar stature (Charlie is actually 5cm taller) who has found a niche and I would think it would be in our best interests to work with Charlie to find his best role.

Are you seriously comparing Caleb Daniel To Charlie Spargo?? 

Eons away! IMV

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

Tim Smith retired.  It’s been tough as he had signs of being very handy. Young Jake Riccardi from Werribee might be worth a look if we are worried about our key forward stocks.  It’s tmcd and Weid and ... perhaps Petty (appears a natural CHB though) 

Haven’t Petty’s better games been as a CHF?

On 9/20/2019 at 1:23 AM, Brenno said:

Would be crazy to delist Spargo. He is only 19 and showed a bit in his first year. 

Pump him full of growth hormone out of testing season ( or is that tested 365?)??

Agree with those who say he needs a massive 2020 if he is to stay.  Yes some of his scoring links were good in 2018 but definitely needs pace, bulk and to learn to make a tackle stick and get some penetration into his kicking. Won’t get any taller. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...